• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hi from Camino Frances

AcrossTheWater3008

Time of past OR future Camino
C Frances x 2 - 2016, 2017
C Portuguese x 2 2016, 2017
C Muxia/Finisterra x 2 2016, 17
CdM
Hi
Arrived at Roncesvalles this afternoon after a night at Orisson last night.... the walk from SJPDP is pleasant for pilgrims who have done some hill walking IMHO ... Its road walking on the Pyrenees.... and then downhill into forest surroundings about 3 km from Roncesvalles. In both Orisson and Roncesvalles unbooked pilgrims were given beds.... :) its cool in SJPDP and raining on/off.... so paid for a very overly priced poncho and camino buff:(:eek: Anyway Orisson certainly can cater good food and wine but nothing else! No toilet seats nor sink stopper nor soap for handwashing! And.... 5 mins warmish shower in a cool environment is not enticing! Roncesvalles is clean and organised with people for information.... impressive! :) Really enjoying meeting international pilgrims and, really lovely people! :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi
Arrived at Roncesvalles this afternoon after a night at Orisson last night.... the walk from SJPDP is pleasant for pilgrims who have done some hill walking IMHO ... Its road walking on the Pyrenees.... and then downhill into forest surroundings about 3 km from Roncesvalles. In both Orisson and Roncesvalles unbooked pilgrims were given beds.... :) its cool in SJPDP and raining on/off.... so paid for a very overly priced poncho and camino buff:(:eek: Anyway Orisson certainly can cater good food and wine but nothing else! No toilet seats nor sink stopper nor soap for handwashing! And.... 5 mins warmish shower in a cool environment is not enticing! Roncesvalles is clean and organised with people for information.... impressive! :) Really enjoying meeting international pilgrims and, really lovely people! :)
What poncho did you get. Is it the Altus from the store there that will hold one for you until you get there? Is the quality good?

@sbauc yes I have the altus poncho... for an eyewatering 54€ and a camino buff for 19€ .. one of the other pilgrims told me that the camino buff is only 5€ on www.pilgrino.com. Both the poncho and buff are obtainable in pamplona caminonotes for less! Have not tested the poncho yet so unable to tell re quality. When I was in SJPDP, the shop had quite a few ponchos in all sizes...
It is extremely HOT in the Camino.... friday (last week) to Tuesday 20/7/16 was unbearable..... felt really faint at times in direct sun :eek::eek:.. yesterday evening was a little cooler with a 5 min thunderstorm. I regularly finished 2.5L of water whilst walking (not including the cans of limon juice I consume at cafes on the way).
Currently in Los Arcos in a private hostal (26€ - booking.com) for 1 night as thought there was a bed rush... Nooo bed rush so far... The albergues were not full... many vacant beds yesterday in Villauerta and Estella too. Had a little hot spot on my big toe but resolved wt regular vaselin application and change of socks mid walk.:oops::oops:
For people coming later on in july and august please be prepared for the extreme heat ...! Btw I use smartube which fits any standard water bottle... such a brilliant invention! :)

Buen camino

Last edited:
@sbauc yes I have the altus poncho... for an eyewatering 54€ and a camino buff for 19€ .. one of the other pilgrims told me that the camino buff is only 5€ on www.pilgrino.com. Both the poncho and buff are obtainable in pamplona caminonotes for less! Have not tested the poncho yet so unable to tell re quality. When I was in SJPDP, the shop had quite a few ponchos in all sizes...
It is extremely HOT in the Camino.... friday (last week) to Tuesday 20/7/16 was unbearable..... felt really faint at times in direct sun :eek::eek:.. yesterday evening was a little cooler with a 5 min thunderstorm. I regularly finished 2.5L of water whilst walking (not including the cans of limon juice I consume at cafes on the way).
Currently in Los Arcos in a private hostal (26€ - booking.com) for 1 night as thought there was a bed rush... Nooo bed rush so far... The albergues were not full... many vacant beds yesterday in Villauerta and Estella too. Had a little hot spot on my big toe but resolved wt regular vaselin application and change of socks mid walk.:oops::oops:
For people coming later on in july and august please be prepared for the extreme heat ...! Btw I use smartube which fits any standard water bottle... such a brilliant invention! :)

Buen camino
I'm hoping that Spain is getting all of it's summer heat now, as I'll be starting my Camino in a month. :p

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Buen camino
Thank you so much for all the info!

Hi
I jz wanna update that I completed my Camino Frances on 18 August 2016 morning when we walked into Santiago de Compostela and collected my certificate.... it was quite an emotional experience:D ... as there were times along the Way I felt sooo tired (and fed up) and wondered if I should jz go home instead of "punishing" myself further. :oops:I also met some lovely people along the Way (incl beautiful forum members!):) whom I hope to keep in contact wt. There were some beautiful moments on the Camino that I wonder at ...... eg I was walking to la Laguna de Castilla (jz before O cerebrio) and realised I was completely lost! This was late afternoon and my heart sanked as to how much I had to walk bk to rejoin the camino. I was exhausted and tiredness= mistakes! Then, a van pulled up behind me, and it was the chef from the albergue I stayed in in Villafranca del Beirzo!

Yes..... I really wondered each day whilst walking how could I possibly get to Santiago..... which is 790 km away, but I did it! Hence that first glimpse of the cathedral was quite awesome in sooooooo many ways! And sooo many of us had tears of relief, and joy that we hv arrived. A group of gals screamed wt sheer joy running towards the cathedral! I understood that emotion too! :)

I stayed in Santiago for 3 nights and during those days, I saw the great botafumeiro being used - wasnt that awesome!! I had to get to the cathedral 2 hours before to ensure I had a good view and every one I sent the little video to were in awe! Oooh yes.... some people clapped loudly during mass at this awesome scene!

Anyway, its sunday 21 August, and on this beautiful warm summer morning at 1000 hrs I set off for Finisterra and am now on my bunk bed in albergue Anjana in Negrira....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back