• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hi has anyone done this Camino on horse back?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Occasionally one sees horses on the Camino but the ones I have encountered were all part of highly organised tours. Pre-planning shelter and food for a horse would be essential and not be easy.

I know of one tour company that organises a horse riding holiday starting in San Juan de Ortega and finishing in Santiago de Compostela. The tour is a mixture of horse riding and mechanised transport.

You can also enjoy some day trips by horse, if you are walking - there is a well known service that will take you by horseback from Villafranca up to O Cebreiro.

My godmaother did it with husband and children for husband's 60th, but this is a family practically born on a horse's back and all fhe logistics, hoses included was arranged through a "Camino horse operator". They cared 0 about pilgrimage, getting a Compostela. It was all about a family experience for a bday celebration. Btw, they loved it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Last edited:
This is a fine French account of one rider and his horse riding towards Santiago. --
http://www.worldtrailrides.com/rando/compostelle-claude-bonnot.htm

For several other recent posts/links re horses and the camino check out this earlier Forum thread--
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/rent-horse-in-france.42568/

Happy trails and Buen camino!
Thanks everyone I am a horse rider and walked the Camino Frances in 2015 unfortunately I have an injured heel so no more walking for me So was thinking horse back might be the go for me

The province of Castile and Leon has erected some stables for pilgrims along the Camino Frances. I saw one in Calzadilla de la Cueza that was nearby the municipal albergue. I am not sure how big a project it was intended to be and how far along they are with it. Their tourist office may be able to give you more information. A webpage of theirs that shows a rough map of their stables (at the bottom of the page) is at http://www.turismocastillayleon.com/es/arte-cultura-patrimonio/grandes-rutas/camino-santiago-frances Perhaps they have put theirs only at the places where private stables don't exist.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
On my first Camino I met a Spanish army officer who was a military historian doing research on the peninsular war (in Spain, the War of Independence) and was doing the Camino on horseback to get a feel for what the soldiers of that period must have gone through, as well as to do the Camino. He stabled his horse most nights at Guardia Civil cuarteles where, he told me, there were always some farm boys who had joined the Guardia, and seemed to take delight in helping him with the horse. He really seemed to be enjoying it all, although I did not ask the horse how it was going for him.

I was hugely impressed by the one small group of horse pilgrims I've ever met -- their daily need to care for the horses before even considering their own needs seemed to provide them with great insight about the Camino.

My first introduction to the Camino was some 30 years ago when I borrowed a book from the library about a couple who rode the Way on horseback. I have now long since forgotten the authors's names but recall that they were well known figures at that time. Not sure why I read the book as I have no interest in horses at all. I will stick to walking.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi has anyone done this Camino onhorse back and if so was it great?
I am contemplating setting up a business for people wanting to ride the Caminos on horseback. A supported self-guided ride. Is that something that might appeal to people? Would love your views. Many thanks.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back