• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hi - some concerns...

AcrossTheWater3008

Time of past OR future Camino
C Frances x 2 - 2016, 2017
C Portuguese x 2 2016, 2017
C Muxia/Finisterra x 2 2016, 17
CdM
Hi

I am flying tomorrow morning to Porto.... I have packed my sleeping bag and equipment into a 65L backpack with a walking pole attached to the outside..... total weight without fluids is 7.5L.... Now my questions

1. Would Easyjet allow this huge pack as a hand luggage as I have not purchased a check in spot? Looks huge to me, but I can carry it quite easily. Would the pole be a problem attached to the outside of the pack?
2. I must be feeling a little anxious (hahahaha....) but cant seem to find the distance from Porto to Angieres camp ground as I would like to walk and overnight there..... anyone any idea please?

Feeling quite excited at having another good walk! I have Brierley 's as well as Johnny Walker's guide so I should not get lost!

Cheers, G

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If your 65L rucksack is anywhere near full then I think it is likely to be well over the size limit that Easyjet advertises. To be sure you should really measure it fully packed. Easyjet's size limits are "Maximum size of 56 x 45 x 25cm including handles and wheels." If the bag is much more than this in any dimension you will have to be prepared to check it in. You are VERY unlikely to get a trekking pole past security and on to the plane.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi folks

Thanks for all your responses..... you are right..... the 65L, albeit, not full measures waaaaaayyyyyy over the permissible dimensions.... :( I have now repacked my equipment into my 48L Exos, without the walking pole...... I hope Easyjet will allow me passage now without the penalties.!

Yes, Frans, that was the campsite.... hope to have some real seafood ....:):)

Cheers G

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi.... thanks folks for your kind input.... jz arrived at my hostel for tonight.... collected my pilgrims passports (collected 2 in case I walk from Lisbon next year :D) from the cathedral!..... Beautiful sunny day, albeit only 10C!

I managed to pass through every hoops at the airport onto the plane but the lady in front of me got napped for her extra bag! :( she was issued on the spot 45£ penalty... :eek: even costlier thn the flight!

Cheers folks! Hope you all feel as great as I do!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@AcrossTheWater3008 I walked from Porto to Angeiras along the river and along the ocean. Last week. Without getting lost it is 23.7km. Completely level. Lovely walk. I too saw a reference (I think on their website(?)) to 8km. This makes no sense. Even as the crow flies it us longer.
If you wish to sign up to Strava (free) you can follow me (Tim Redmond) and see my trace all the way from Porto to SdC (where I am as of 3 hours ago). The campsite in Angeiras very nice. You'll get a little 'hut' to yourself with toilets and showers opposite.

Last edited:
Hi.... thanks folks for your kind input.... jz arrived at my hostel for tonight.... collected my pilgrims passports (collected 2 in case I walk from Lisbon next year :D) from the cathedral!..... Beautiful sunny day, albeit only 10C!

I managed to pass through every hoops at the airport onto the plane but the lady in front of me got napped for her extra bag! :( she was issued on the spot 45£ penalty... :eek: even costlier thn the flight!

Cheers folks! Hope you all feel as great as I do!
great that you have arrived! If you enjoy it half as a much as I have you'll have a wonderful time. Note my post above. It's 23/24 to Angeiras. Very easy walk. You could stop for lunch at a large number of places if you wished. Once you get to Angeiras you are looking for a road sign to the right saying Campismo. It is about 10 min walk. At a Y Junction veer left. There will be people about who can direct you. You must show your credential to get special rate. They are lovely and friendly. The restaurant is nice. They do pilgrim salad for 6 and menu for 10 I think. I had the salad for lunch and ate in town in the evening. It was a Sunday. You might want to check what is going to be open as you pass through. I had a choice of three nice cheap fish restaurants. If you want to get the pilgrim rate for food in campsite restaurant, you need to pay in advance and get a chit at reception. The office closes maybe at 5 pm so think ahead!
I couldn't check out until 9am. She held my credential against the key. Not really a problem. You can walk 200m to cafe for breakfast before that and still be on the road by 9. The restaurant on site was not open for breakfast. Enjoy!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@AcrossTheWater3008 I walked from Porto to Angeiras along the river and along the ocean. Last week. Without getting lost it is 23.7km. Completely level. Lovely walk. I too saw a reference (I think on their website(?)) to 8km. This makes no sense. Even as the crow flies it us longer.
If you wish to sign up to Strava (free) you can follow me (Tim Redmond) and see my trace all the way from Porto to SdC (where I am as of 3 hours ago). The campsite in Angeiras very nice. You'll get a little 'hut' to yourself with toilets and showers opposite.

Hey @timr Angeiras sound lovely... gonna walk there tomorrow and overnight.... and thanks for your kind offer of following you! I realised Angeiras could not be jz 8 km from Porto but the thought of fresh fish is enough to steer me in that direction!

Glad u completed your Camino! Well done and safe flight home!

I'm glad to hear that you had no problems, and are happily on your way to Santiago now!

In the end, what did you do with your walking poles?

Hi @C clearly I left my poles at home as they are non collapsible ones.... I only ever use 1 pole as I like a free hand. Nonetheless, because I never could bring my poles in the cabin luggage to my walking trips but usually get free poles check in when I fly home wt Vueling, I hv a collection of poles at home...:oops:

Actually, Angeiras is about 11 km from Matosinhos. That may be where the confusion about distances comes from as many will walk a half day to Matosinhos to get over jet lag and will pick up from there the next day.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Actually, Angeiras is about 11 km from Matosinhos. That may be where the confusion about distances comes from as many will walk a half day from the Porto cathedral to Matosinhos to get over jet lag and will pick up from there the next day.

@AcrossTheWater3008 I don't know what you plan for tomorrow. If you are staying on the coast, ignore. If you plan to move inland here's what I did. Continue right along coast to Vila do Conde. Then you move in. I planned to follow Johnnie Walker's instructions. You cross the river and then turn right. You'll get nice lunch in square to your left first if you want. When I saw sign very soon to left for Poor Clares monastery left up a hill I diverted. Of course couldn't get into church but you find yourself at the aqueduct as detailed in Brierley alternate route. I then followed this pretty easily and you get to Rates, with lovely albergue, directly. Especially at beginning directions didn't quite correspond with Brierley because he comes at aqueduct from a different direction. But keep it in sight and you can't go wrong(!). There is a place where you have to divert left to go round houses for maybe 2km but not difficult. And really helpfully, every road has a name.
Bom caminho.

Hi Tim, thanks for your kindness.... I started walking from my hostel from 0745 hrs... by 1100 hrs it was raining and lashing down non stop by 1500 hrs wt the ocean screaming eerily.... I had to cab the last 2 km here at Angeiras Orbitur.... the winds were non stop and strong!!! I was utterly drenched and frozen!!

I hv a bungalow to myself and looks like tomorrow s gonna be the same weather condition! The lady receptionist said I would hv to pay full cost tomorrow if I needed to stay... even though the place is deserted.... I am all alone in the diner here.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Actually, Angeiras is about 11 km from Matosinhos. That may be where the confusion about distances comes from as many will walk a half day from the Porto cathedral to Matosinhos to get over jet lag and will pick up from there the next day.

Hi... the campsite is about 18 km from the hostel.

Hi... the campsite is about 18 km from the hostel.

Which hostel? I think it is important to be precise when answering in order not to cause needless anxiety to those looking for information.

The Santiago de Labruge albergue is some 2 km after the camping site and the ones in Vila do Conde are some 12 km past it.

From the Oporto cathedral Brierly counts 22.6 km via Matosinhos.

Hi Tim, thanks for your kindness.... I started walking from my hostel from 0745 hrs... by 1100 hrs it was raining and lashing down non stop by 1500 hrs wt the ocean screaming eerily.... I had to cab the last 2 km here at Angeiras Orbitur.... the winds were non stop and strong!!! I was utterly drenched and frozen!!

I hv a bungalow to myself and looks like tomorrow s gonna be the same weather condition! The lady receptionist said I would hv to pay full cost tomorrow if I needed to stay... even though the place is deserted.... I am all alone in the diner here.
yes I think at this time of year midweek very different from weekend. There were maybe a dozen people having supper Sunday night when I got back from the town.
And from @Rainerbernd it is clearly a special (and generous) concession that all Orbiter campsites make to pilgrims so I can see why they charge full for a second night.
Are you planning to move inland? My anxiety about the coast was the weather and I know I was phenomenally lucky. I've just had dinner with a guy who walked all up the coast and only turned in at Redondela and he had only one bad day.
You are only about 11 from Vila do Conde. From there Johnnie Walker (who I am meeting tomorrow as it happens) mentions bus between Vila do Conde and Vilarinho and bus between Vilarinho and Rates. Inland probably better bet in bad weather. Rates has lovely albergue, very welcoming. You make yourself at home before the hospitalera arrives....

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
yes I think at this time of year midweek very different from weekend. There were maybe a dozen people having supper Sunday night when I got back from the town.
And from @Rainerbernd it is clearly a special (and generous) concession that all Orbiter campsites make to pilgrims so I can see why they charge full for a second night.
Are you planning to move inland? My anxiety about the coast was the weather and I know I was phenomenally lucky. I've just had dinner with a guy who walked all up the coast and only turned in at Redondela and he had only one bad day.
You are only about 11 from Vila do Conde. From there Johnnie Walker (who I am meeting tomorrow as it happens) mentions bus between Vila do Conde and Vilarinho and bus between Vilarinho and Rates. Inland probably better bet in bad weather. Rates has lovely albergue, very welcoming. You make yourself at home before the hospitalera arrives....

Hi ... the weather is much better today although it has been drizzling on/off....:oops:

I arrived here at Villa de Conde at 1300 hrs... still cold despite having 6 layers of clothes on!:eek: Anyway had a peregrino menu... (yummy!! as was starving!:p) and decided to check in at the Santa Clara albergue... was hoping to attend a soprano concert but the lady receptionist informed me she closes at 2200 hrs, so may be a little tight! I am currently the only pilgrim in the albergue but it is clean wt plenty of hot water, plus the washing machine is only 1€ to wash (incl powder too!:)) and another euro to dry! Sooooo.... all in all, a great day today! Gonna check out that concert for tonight!!:rolleyes:

Thanks Tim, for your help x

Which hostel? I think it is important to be precise when answering in order not to cause needless anxiety to those looking for information.

The Santiago de Labruge albergue is some 2 km after the camping site and the ones in Vila do Conde are some 12 km past it.

From the Oporto cathedral Brierly counts 22.6 km via Matosinhos.

Hi

You are right! I stayed at the Porto City Hostel by Trinidade metro station.... great place and very easy to get to, too!!!

Hey, you are on the Way again, I see.
Only about three months ago I saw you in Santiago.
Buen Camino, and happy trails.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am going to the concert tonight! Starts at 2130 hrs and I jz hope nobody winces at my pilgrims outfit! :D:D The hospitalerios hv given me the key so it shouldn't b a problem... Did some xmas cone painting wt them!

Attachments

• IMG_20161125_175004.jpg
    IMG_20161125_175004.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20161125_183208.jpg
    IMG_20161125_183208.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 22
Hey, you are on the Way again, I see.
Only about three months ago I saw you in Santiago.
Buen Camino, and happy trails.
Hi Mark

Yeah... did tell you I was gonna walk Camino Portuguese!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi

I am flying tomorrow morning to Porto.... I have packed my sleeping bag and equipment into a 65L backpack with a walking pole attached to the outside..... total weight without fluids is 7.5L.... Now my questions

1. Would Easyjet allow this huge pack as a hand luggage as I have not purchased a check in spot? Looks huge to me, but I can carry it quite easily. Would the pole be a problem attached to the outside of the pack?
2. I must be feeling a little anxious (hahahaha....) but cant seem to find the distance from Porto to Angieres camp ground as I would like to walk and overnight there..... anyone any idea please?

Feeling quite excited at having another good walk! I have Brierley 's as well as Johnny Walker's guide so I should not get lost!

Cheers, G

Not sure if you can carry your back pack as hand luggage but you cannot carry your walking pole on board as stated in their hand luggage regulations.

Not sure if you can carry your back pack as hand luggage but you cannot carry your walking pole on board as stated in their hand luggage regulations.
You can never tell with airlines.
Flew back from SdC to London with Ryanair in September and had abandoned my pole as past experience told me it wouldn't be allowed on.
As we took our seats a perigina walked down the aisle with her hiking pole fully extended. Cabin crew never said a word!

You can never tell with airlines.
Flew back from SdC to London with Ryanair in September and had abandoned my pole as past experience told me it wouldn't be allowed on.
As we took our seats a perigina walked down the aisle with her hiking pole fully extended. Cabin crew never said a word!
Well it's good to hear but as you say one can never tell. I few to Porto in May to do the camino and debated whatvto do with the poles. I thought that since I had all the trimmings of a peregrina-backpack, credential, shell, etc I would plead my case at the airport. but then decided I didn't want to risk having them confiscated. So I ended up posting them to the hostel in Porto.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi

I moved into the Central route.... got quite cold by the Coast... and wet :eek:! I bought an umbrella but that didn't help much.... weather is now much better tho! I love walking by the sea, so will definitely walk again in the near future!

So far I have only met 2 other pilgrims... a Chilean walking towards Porto and a German who was walking to a tight schedule to Santiago.... we walked together until Casa Fernanda... and we parted company... again I was alone too, at Casa Fernanda but Fernanda and family made me extremely welcome! See her giant marrow!!!! Fernanda said she had bigger ones !!!:p

Attachments

• IMG_20161128_090016.jpg
    IMG_20161128_090016.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20161128_085900.jpg
    IMG_20161128_085900.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Happy to hear of your progress @AcrossTheWater3008 I agree the coast was really lovely, but at this time of year, the lack of shelter from weather could be a problem I imagine. The central route I enjoyed very much. Nothing too strenuous. A lot of nice towns/cities along the way and a lot of quiet peaceful tracks.
I am busy packing (kind of) to fly to Brazil in the morning, but I will finish off an account of my last few days on Camino Portuguese in the next day or so!
I hope you enjoyed the concert??

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You are walking alone? Very brave. Buen camino.
Hi @fmsoares .... yes, I am a solo walker. I enjoy my own company hence its not a problem. I walked the Frances in July this year and I really enjoyed the Camino. A beautiful experience!

Happy to hear of your progress @AcrossTheWater3008 I agree the coast was really lovely, but at this time of year, the lack of shelter from weather could be a problem I imagine. The central route I enjoyed very much. Nothing too strenuous. A lot of nice towns/cities along the way and a lot of quiet peaceful tracks.
I am busy packing (kind of) to fly to Brazil in the morning, but I will finish off an account of my last few days on Camino Portuguese in the next day or so!
I hope you enjoyed the concert??
Hi @timr I do hope you hv a safe flight to Brazil.

Yes, Portugal is relatively flat, and I am enjoying myself..... I hv met several lovely Portuguese who hv made me very welcome.:) The concert was lovely.... Marina Peccho is quite young and has a gorgeously beautiful voice! :D

Unlike the Frances, this Camino appears to lack church service that welcome pilgrims.... I hv tried some churches but they aren't open! :eek:

Hi @timr I do hope you hv a safe flight to Brazil.

Yes, Portugal is relatively flat, and I am enjoying myself..... I hv met several lovely Portuguese who hv made me very welcome.:) The concert was lovely.... Marina Peccho is quite young and has a gorgeously beautiful voice! :D

Unlike the Frances, this Camino appears to lack church service that welcome pilgrims.... I hv tried some churches but they aren't open! :eek:

Yes I agree! I found it hard to get into many churches at all. I was at Mass at Cathedral in Porto. And Mass in Redondela on Saturday night (7:30pm I THINK) and Mos at 10:30 on Sunday morning and really that was it until SdC. I love the quieter tracks, but it is certainly my experience that CF is best for evening Masses.
There is a lovely, and unusual Church in Caldas de Reis, well worth a visit. It is dedicated to Thomas à Becket, (Thomas of Canterbury) a VERY English saint and martyr! Open morning and afternoon. Very friendly lady cleaning the church, and very proud of it, and she has a sello.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Just got into Redondela...live the albergue I am staying in...A Conserveira... €10 and last night in O Porrino, the private albergue was great too... (opp the mubicipal - directed there as the muni had no blankets!). Am really enjoying the Caminho.:D.. its been a wonderful walk thus far, despite being almost blown into the Atlantic by Angeiras campsite. :eek: Love it! Only 88 km to Santiago... am a little slow as my L second small toe is hurting... first time ever! :( pics below show private albergue in Redondela

Attachments

• IMG_20161202_152603.jpg
    IMG_20161202_152603.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20161202_152943.jpg
    IMG_20161202_152943.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 14
Dear folks

I got into Santiago at midday today.... got my certificate of completion as well as my distance certificate!!! :):) I decided to stay in Teo yesterday and walked here easily this morning.

I love this Camino and already planning my next Portuguese Camino, probably 2017!;)

Thanks everyone esp @timr, @Rainerbernd, @Albertinho and others for great advice... I did not get walking poles as I find the walk relatively easy, plus the weather here in Galicia has been sunny and dry!!

Have had a great Camino, so thanks again, folks! :D:)

Bravo! It is an emotional arrival at Santiago. i admit that the tears started flowing as we arrived at The Praza with the realization that i had done it along with my fellow pilgrims. A moment i won't forget and one i want to repeat next year.
All the best to you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Dear folks

Love mass this morning:).... we had thw swinging of the botafumiro:D:D and a little beautiful little procession before mass and its jz lovely :).... love the music and singing (again!)... flying home tomorrow evening...

Hv had a great time, plus have been able to book into San Martin Pinario without booking (great bonus!). The only regret is I did not meet many pilgrims (4 maybe - started from Tui and Pontevedra) coming to Santiago but met quite a few going to Porto after finishing their camino to Santiago, plus two going to Fatima...

Once again, thanks folks and heres wishing all of you a wonderful and happy Christmas! x

Ginette :):)

Dear folks

Love mass this morning:).... we had thw swinging of the botafumiro:D:D and a little beautiful little procession before mass and its jz lovely :).... love the music and singing (again!)... flying home tomorrow evening...

Hv had a great time, plus have been able to book into San Martin Pinario without booking (great bonus!). The only regret is I did not meet many pilgrims (4 maybe - started from Tui and Pontevedra) coming to Santiago but met quite a few going to Porto after finishing their camino to Santiago, plus two going to Fatima...

Once again, thanks folks and heres wishing all of you a wonderful and happy Christmas! x

Ginette :):)
congrats on your completing another Camino....
cheers and merry Christmas

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.