• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hi Vis vests

Anne Mclennan

Time of past OR future Camino
2009 Camino Portuguese
2018 Camino Frances
Hi all I’m walking the Frances from 6 September and wondering if it’s required to wear a high visibility vest on roads? As I have a high visibility pack cover would this be enough?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Anne!

There is no need for a vest, especially if your pack is already hi-vis. You won't often walk on the roads, but in trails near them, so it is quite safe.
Just remember to keep aware of your surrounding and you will be fine :)

I don't think this is such a big issue on the CF. I did take the precaution on attaching reflective strips to our packs when walking a winter Camino in Portugal as the short daylight hours meant we were often walking into, or out of, towns in gloom and there is a lot of road walking with non existent verges in Portugal. But there has been a lot of work in the CF to keep the route away from roads. That said common sense when road walking is always advisable.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Welcome Ann. No, its not required but its not a bad idea to carry one especially if you decide to walk very early in the morning or late in the evening. I didn't carry one but had a red rain cover for my pack which I used on those occasions.

Also wear a T-shirt in visible colours and you should be fine.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
When on roads walk on the correct side of the road, facing oncoming traffic. many don't.
This is particularly important for those coming from countries where driving on the left side of the road is the norm. The norm in both Spain and Portugal is to drive on the right side. Be aware and walk on the LEFT, facing oncoming traffic, when the Camino route puts you on or adjacent to roadways.

I think there is a law in Spain requiring reflective vests when walking at night, but not during daylight hours.

-Paul

When on roads walk on the correct side of the road, facing oncoming traffic. many don't.
Not all the times though.
(Speaking if there is equivalent shoulder on both sides.):
- if there is a right curve you change to the left side of the road (which is also the right/proper side for walking regarding the oncoming traffic on straight roads),
- but if there is a left curve you do change to the right hand side of the road.

Make that change approx. in the middle distance between left and right curve (or vice versa). Especially on very winding roads. If the curves are long and there isn't much of vegetation you just stay on the left hand side.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Not all the times though.
(Speaking if there is equivalent shoulder on both sides.):
- if there is a right curve you change to the left side of the road (which is also the right/proper side for walking regarding the oncoming traffic on straight roads),
- but if there is a left curve you do change to the right hand side of the road.

Make that change approx. in the middle distance between left and right curve (or vice versa). Especially on very winding roads. If the curves are long and there isn't much of vegetation you just stay on the left hand side.

Buen Camino!
Totally agree with your comments about changing (safely of course) to the right side of the road when a tight left hand bend is approaching. Did this often on the Norte recently and felt safer.
I must add the Spanish drivers are very aware of walkers and considerate, however I did see the odd one on their mobile phone!!

Hi all I’m walking the Frances from 6 September and wondering if it’s required to wear a high visibility vest on roads? As I have a high visibility pack cover would this be enough?
The rain cover that came with my pack had some reflective strips on it, but I purchased a cheap shocking neon one on eBay/Amazon for a few bucks to use in high traffic areas. I also used it to contain all of my pack straps while in the airports/planes. In addition, I always carried a few neon colored bandanas 99cent investments that I could attach to poles, pack straps or tuck in across my chest like a pinafore. It was my hankie, washcloth, napkin, head cover, neck cover.....you get the idea

Hi there, I was aware that pilgrims had been hit by vehicles and made sure my pack cover had reflector bits and I have a tiny red bike clip on light for the back of my pack. I have used this on two caminos in road walking areas, as I didnt always have my pack cover on my pack. It plugs into a usb port to recharge although I didnt need to do this.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
On the vdlp I carried a hi vis vest and there were a couple of days road walking in mist I was glad to be wearing it. However I don't think it was worth carrying on the whole. I will not be bringing it on the Frances in August. My gloves are yellow hi vis. Good for early morning starts. I don't plan to walk at night.

The trouble with HV is that so many people wear it that it has almost become a cloak of invisibility.

In my former life as a Highways Engineer I'd have to do night time inspections (because motorists complain when you shut down the motorway in the daytime). We'd wear HV trousers with three, wide reflective bands on each leg, jackets/long sleeve vests/fleeces with similar bands around torso and arms and hard hats with reflective stripes and still cars and trucks would come close enough to kill.

We had a photo on the wall at our depot of an inspector wearing HV standing in front of an SUV covered in reflective panels - you couldn't see him - he was effectively camouflaged.

HV clothing WILL NOT SAVE YOUR LIFE. It may alert drivers of vehicles you are there but it may also give you a false sense of security. Be alert, keep scanning around you and remember drivers are easily distracted: the sun, the rain, the radio, the mobile they're not supposed to be using.

Take it if you wish but it's just another thing to carry.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back