• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hi

KSun

Time of past OR future Camino
none so far, going to do the French Route (12th April this year, 2019)
Hi experienced Pilgrims
Please can anyone advise me which is a cheap yet reliable way to get to St Jean from Madrid airport? I am due to land in Madrid at 6:45 on Saturday morning the 13th of April 2019 and would like to get to St Jean by that evening.
Thank you for your help!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My suggestion:
Madrid Airport to Atocha train station on C1 urban train (regular, takes 34 mins)
Madrid Atocha to Pamplona by train (Renfe), leaving 9:40 arriving 12:52.
Pamplona to SJPdP by bus (Alsa), leaving 14:30 arriving 16:15.

Note: There is only one bus per day from Pamplona to SJPdP in April, so you really need to be there before 2:30pm. I haven't found any buses from Madrid that would get you there in time. The train is around €30 if you book in advance - which you'll definitely need to to, as Saturday 13 April is the first day of the Spanish Easter holidays!

My suggestion:
Madrid Airport to Atocha train station on C1 urban train (regular, takes 34 mins)
Madrid Atocha to Pamplona by train (Renfe), leaving 9:40 arriving 12:52.
Pamplona to SJPdP by bus (Alsa), leaving 14:30 arriving 16:15.

Note: There is only one bus per day from Pamplona to SJPdP in April, so you really need to be there before 2:30pm. I haven't found any buses from Madrid that would get you there in time. The train is around €30 if you book in advance - which you'll definitely need to to, as Saturday 13 April is the first day of the Spanish Easter holidays!
Thank you so much, really appreciate your response, very helpful!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
No problem! Just to add, I'd also recommend booking the Pamplona-SJPdP bus with Alsa in advance: when I was checking times, it told me that "x number of people are also looking at this ticket right now" - which I know is probably just a sales technique, but I suspect lots of people will be walking in the run-up to Easter, and with only one bus per day heading to SJPdP, I wouldn't risk turning up without a ticket!

Thanks Jan_D, I did just that, I'm booked all the way through from Madrid to SJPdP which makes me feel much more relaxed. It would have been disappointing and expensive to find myself stuck for a couple of days in Madrid and then Pamplona, just trying to get to SJ. Really appreciate your help!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks Jan_D, I did just that, I'm booked all the way through from Madrid to SJPdP which makes me feel much more relaxed. It would have been disappointing and expensive to find myself stuck for a couple of days in Madrid and then Pamplona, just trying to get to SJ. Really appreciate your help!
Getting off that bus in SJ is one of the coolest feelings I've ever had! Also - check out Refuge Orisson halfway up the Pyrenees - it's a great experience- enjoy and Buen Camino!

Hi experienced Pilgrims
Please can anyone advise me which is a cheap yet reliable way to get to St Jean from Madrid airport? I am due to land in Madrid at 6:45 on Saturday morning the 13th of April 2019 and would like to get to St Jean by that evening.
Thank you for your help!
One year I took the train, the next time I took the bus. Both should be options for you since your flight arrives so early in the morning. I probably preferred the bus as it was a quicker option, already located at the airport. There was a little more rigamorole getting to the Atocha train station, but I managed.

One year I took the train, the next time I took the bus. Both should be options for you since your flight arrives so early in the morning. I probably preferred the bus as it was a quicker option, already located at the airport. There was a little more rigamorole getting to the Atocha train station, but I managed.

Hmm. I'm not sure about the bus being quicker - I checked with Alsa and PLM and the journey to Pamplona comes up as 6 hours, as opposed to 3 hours on the train. Also, there weren't any buses arriving in Pamplona in time for the final connection to SJPdP at 14:30pm. (Maybe I missed something?) In any case KSun's tickets have already been booked! It might be a little more of a hustle getting to Atocha, but I don't think the bus was an option in this case.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I was only referring to the bus in terms of quick and easy access from the airport, not the length of the journey. Looks like you are doing a good job with your research.
Buen Camino!

I was only referring to the bus in terms of quick and easy access from the airport, not the length of the journey. Looks like you are doing a good job with your research.

Oh, sorry I thought you meant length of the journey in total! As for my "research"... this forum is really bad (or good?) at enabling a chronic camino planning addiction ;)

Note: There is only one bus per day from Pamplona to SJPdP in April, so you really need to be there before 2:30pm.
The additional 17:30 bus service to SJPdP starts on Wednesday, April 17. Not a help in this case.

In front of the RENFE station is a street bus shelter. From there you can take bus #9 every 10 or 15 minutes or so to take you very near the bus station. Every hour bus #A will take you directly to the station. See the schedules at
https://www.infotuc.es/descargas/fichas/A_7.pdf
https://www.infotuc.es/descargas/fichas/9_1.pdf

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back