• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hidden treasure lies beneath the hills of Galicia

• Thread starter Deleted member 87865
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 87865

The camino wends its way, passing by meadows and farms, passing through villages and hamlets. There are forests of eucalyptus, cottages of stone and slate. There are tall crucifixes marking the way, no two quite the same. No-one fails to notice the rural tranquility, but not everyone will know of the abundance of hill-forts (castros) that are the archaeological patrimony of Galicia. The route tends to wind its way in amongst them. These centuries-long abandoned fortifications became the stuff of folk legend and rumour. Ghosts. Witches. Treasure, hoards of gold, buried in secret, lay hidden waiting to be found by anyone with the courage (and the key) to venture onto those haunted hilltops. In the Middle Ages one could buy books of spells and incantations, the precise use of which would force the spirits to reveal where the loot was buried. Archaeology has carried whatever was left to the museums.

Yet, even today, one can still climb a hill and make a discovery. Those venturing towards the top of Monte Gozo have their eyes fixed on the Pope's monument. Then they look away in search of the two pilgrims on their promontory, their eyes lit up with the joy of seeing Compostela's cathedral for the first time. Anyone too tired to walk into town may seek a bed in the massive albergue sponsored by the xunta, its many bunkhouses spread out beneath the hill sadly resembling a concentration camp. Four hundred beds! Inevitably it steals focus from a little treasure tucked away on the other side of the hill.

Make a right when coming down from the statue of the two pilgrims and go back up the road. Or, make a left as you approach the brow of Monte Gozo's hill, before arriving at the famous monument. Either way, you will come across an unprepossessing sight/site. But don't be shy, go in! This is a cultural centre. It is also the near mythical (at least on my trek down the CF, in conversation with my Polish companion) POLISH ALBERGUE. The stamp in my credencial reads, "Centro Europeo de Peregrinacion Juan Pablo II, Monte del Gozo". The Polish pope, remember. The albergue, when we visited, had a mere 20+ visitors; it's greatest intake was 7,000! There are dorm rooms and private rooms. There is a large dining room with restaurant. There is a beautiful secluded garden in which to rest, meditate, sunbathe, or simply to hang out your washing. There is a chapel for quiet times, services, private prayer. There is a covered patio for sitting out when it rains; dispensing machines for snacks, and other amenities.

It is a quiet little gem, a secluded, almost secret treasure. But why? Because of its location, tucked beneath the brow of the hill, on the wrong side of Monte Gozo? Yes, in part. Another reason might be that the xunta doesn't want it to draw people away from their giant complex further down the hill. Thus, advertising of the Polish albergue is (allegedly) minimised, even online it was hard for my buddy to find relevant info.

But think about it. Why not stay there, and enter Santiago fresh the next morning. You can have dinner, then walk up to the monument/s and watch the sunset over Santiago. The albergue is very tranquil, far from the roads, so you'll probably sleep well. You might even get the chance to eat something quasi-Polish on the pilgrim menu. When we stayed, there was a Polish lady who had flown into Santiago on a cheap flight simply for the pleasure of hanging out at this albergue; that's how chilled this place is, how agreeable a spot for a night or two's rest.

Anyway, here ends my friendly pitch for the Polish albergue. If you've read the entire OP, thank you for your patience, and I hope you keep it in mind when you climb the last hill before Santiago. Sanctuary is close at hand.

Ultreia.

Philippum

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you! I've read many good things about it. It sounded small and friendly, with its own chapel on site. And since my grandparents were Polish, I had planned to stay there last fall.

I never could find it, although there was a small directional sign by the little chapel near the monument. I asked around, but no one had any clue. After searching unsuccessfully for too long, it occured to me that in an hour I could be in Santiago. Or I could still be wandering aimlessly around Monte Gozo looking for the albergue. I chose Santiago. Too bad it's not better marked. And, yes, online info is very scant.

Next year! 😊😉 I'll follow your directions. 😊

Thank you! I've read many good things about it. It sounded small and friendly, with its own chapel on site. And since my grandparents were Polish, I had planned to stay there last fall.

Next year! 😊😉 I'll follow your directions. 😊

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Much appreciated.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The camino wends its way, passing by meadows and farms, passing through villages and hamlets. There are forests of eucalyptus, cottages of stone and slate. There are tall crucifixes marking the way, no two quite the same. No-one fails to notice the rural tranquility, but not everyone will know of the abundance of hill-forts (castros) that are the archaeological patrimony of Galicia. The route tends to wind its way in amongst them. These centuries-long abandoned fortifications became the stuff of folk legend and rumour. Ghosts. Witches. Treasure, hoards of gold, buried in secret, lay hidden waiting to be found by anyone with the courage (and the key) to venture onto those haunted hilltops. In the Middle Ages one could buy books of spells and incantations, the precise use of which would force the spirits to reveal where the loot was buried. Archaeology has carried whatever was left to the museums

Philippum

In my homevillage there is a legend about a mill wheel of gold at the bottom of a deep well in the river where the Mouros (fantastic beings that live underground) take care of it.

In my homevillage there is a legend about a mill wheel of gold at the bottom of a deep well in the river where the Mouros (fantastic beings that live underground) take care of it.
I love to learn more of these traditional tales. We passed by an accommodation with mill wheels at the gate, and it looked like an oasis of calm. Too bad didn't stay there.

Attachments

• Mill Hotel gate.jpg
    Mill Hotel gate.jpg
    993.6 KB · Views: 47
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The camino wends its way, passing by meadows and farms, passing through villages and hamlets. There are forests of eucalyptus, cottages of stone and slate. There are tall crucifixes marking the way, no two quite the same. No-one fails to notice the rural tranquility, but not everyone will know of the abundance of hill-forts (castros) that are the archaeological patrimony of Galicia. The route tends to wind its way in amongst them. These centuries-long abandoned fortifications became the stuff of folk legend and rumour. Ghosts. Witches. Treasure, hoards of gold, buried in secret, lay hidden waiting to be found by anyone with the courage (and the key) to venture onto those haunted hilltops. In the Middle Ages one could buy books of spells and incantations, the precise use of which would force the spirits to reveal where the loot was buried. Archaeology has carried whatever was left to the museums.

Yet, even today, one can still climb a hill and make a discovery. Those venturing towards the top of Monte Gozo have their eyes fixed on the Pope's monument. Then they look away in search of the two pilgrims on their promontory, their eyes lit up with the joy of seeing Compostela's cathedral for the first time. Anyone too tired to walk into town may seek a bed in the massive albergue sponsored by the xunta, its many bunkhouses spread out beneath the hill sadly resembling a concentration camp. Four hundred beds! Inevitably it steals focus from a little treasure tucked away on the other side of the hill.

Make a right when coming down from the statue of the two pilgrims and go back up the road. Or, make a left as you approach the brow of Monte Gozo's hill, before arriving at the famous monument. Either way, you will come across an unprepossessing sight/site. But don't be shy, go in! This is a cultural centre. It is also the near mythical (at least on my trek down the CF, in conversation with my Polish companion) POLISH ALBERGUE. The stamp in my credencial reads, "Centro Europeo de Peregrinacion Juan Pablo II, Monte del Gozo". The Polish pope, remember. The albergue, when we visited, had a mere 20+ visitors; it's greatest intake was 7,000! There are dorm rooms and private rooms. There is a large dining room with restaurant. There is a beautiful secluded garden in which to rest, meditate, sunbathe, or simply to hang out your washing. There is a chapel for quiet times, services, private prayer. There is a covered patio for sitting out when it rains; dispensing machines for snacks, and other amenities.

It is a quiet little gem, a secluded, almost secret treasure. But why? Because of its location, tucked beneath the brow of the hill, on the wrong side of Monte Gozo? Yes, in part. Another reason might be that the xunta doesn't want it to draw people away from their giant complex further down the hill. Thus, advertising of the Polish albergue is (allegedly) minimised, even online it was hard for my buddy to find relevant info.

But think about it. Why not stay there, and enter Santiago fresh the next morning. You can have dinner, then walk up to the monument/s and watch the sunset over Santiago. The albergue is very tranquil, far from the roads, so you'll probably sleep well. You might even get the chance to eat something quasi-Polish on the pilgrim menu. When we stayed, there was a Polish lady who had flown into Santiago on a cheap flight simply for the pleasure of hanging out at this albergue; that's how chilled this place is, how agreeable a spot for a night or two's rest.

Anyway, here ends my friendly pitch for the Polish albergue. If you've read the entire OP, thank you for your patience, and I hope you keep it in mind when you climb the last hill before Santiago. Sanctuary is close at hand.

Ultreia.

Philippum
Philippum - Many thanks for the info re the Polish Albergue at Monte Gozo - I have been trying to get exactly that for a while now, with little luck. Would you have their phone number and/or e-mail address please? I am looking to stop there around mid-Sep this year. Thanks and Cooee.

Philippum - Many thanks for the info re the Polish Albergue at Monte Gozo - I have been trying to get exactly that for a while now, with little luck. Would you have their phone number and/or e-mail address please? I am looking to stop there around mid-Sep this year. Thanks and Cooee.
Hi Geoff,

No, I don't have those details. Perhaps if you google the name of the cultural centre in my OP you will find a useful number. I had absolutely no confidence that we'd find the place until the very instant we did. My buddy was using Polish language sites online and nothing certain. We went to see the two pilgrims and then after that it was easy, but the building doesn't exactly scream albergue.

Thanks for the info. I had heard reference to a Polish albergue, but because the large junta one was all I could find, I assumed they were one and the same. Next time I shall search more diligently. It sounds wonderful.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks for the info. I had heard reference to a Polish albergue, but because the large junta one was all I could find, I assumed they were one and the same. Next time I shall search more diligently. It sounds wonderful.

You're welcome. I'd better put in a clarification at this point. We shared a private room (ensuite), and I didn't see the dorm rooms. I'm sure they're good too.

Last edited by a moderator:
2016 We too shared a simple twin room, en suite, at the Polish Albergue. Agree it was difficult to locate but once there, a great place to stay. Recommended to us by a Swedish pilgrim.. Meals good but no breakfast on offer. However plenty of cafes as you walk into Santiago.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Geoff,

No, I don't have those details. Perhaps if you google the name of the cultural centre in my OP you will find a useful number. I had absolutely no confidence that we'd find the place until the very instant we did. My buddy was using Polish language sites online and nothing certain. We went to see the two pilgrims and then after that it was easy, but the building doesn't exactly scream albergue.
Many thanks - I’ll turn up on the day ( thanks to your clear directions) and take my chances. Cooee

I have been reading these posts with interest: always on the look-out for advice for alternative albergues and advice from other pilgrims, but, google maps states that this place is permanently closed. I did check the website which does not state this, but others may want to look into this if they are planning on stopping here

I have been reading these posts with interest: always on the look-out for advice for alternative albergues and advice from other pilgrims, but, google maps states that this place is permanently closed. I did check the website which does not state this, but others may want to look into this if they are planning on stopping here
I may not be as omniscient as the mighty Google, but I ain't lyin'. I stayed there. It was open. Really.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Ultreia.

Philippum
My thanks also for this post. I have heard of it but, similarly to others, never found it. Next time, next year, I will definitely make the extra effort. Do you (anyone) know if it’s open all year?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Really appreciate the info for a gem! We stayed at the big albergue couple years ago and nothing to write home about, even though the hospitalera was very friendly! Still grateful for a place to stay, but definitely will look for the Polish albergue! Gracias!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back