• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

High School Student

IanBerr21

Real brief introduction...

I'm 17 from Athens, Georgia in the US and plan to start the Camino in late May 2008 from Roncesvalles. I'm taking AP Spanish and my teacher sparked my interest in the Camino. Right now I'm going with a friend, but I would not be surprised to end up walking alone. I've traveled abroad in Spain and other countries, but this will be my first experience more or less alone. My chief concern is money right now. Although the Camino is famously inexpensive the current exchange rate is horrible and my airplane ticket wont be cheap.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You will love the camino - many young people walk it, over 22 300 between the ages of 13 and 25 walked it last year.
For the average pilgrim 20 - 25 euro a day (or 1 euro per km walked) is an accepted budget.
However, chatting to a number of young pilgrims about the budget, they were horrified at the idea of needing 25 euro per day. They stayed mainly at donativo refuges and some said that they might give a euro or two but sometimes didn't give anything. These refuges often offer a meal at night - also for a donation - and many youngsters helped to cook, to clear and to wash up in lieu of paying a donation.
Although Menu del Peregrinos are offered all along the camino at under 10 euro for a 3 course meal, if you eat at a restaurant or cafe-bar it is cheaper to have one plate from the menu - and cheaper still to buy from a supermecado and make your own meals. We (three people) often bought ingredients for a pasta dish, soup or salads for about 1.50 euro each. You can buy soft drinks, wine or beers from a supermecado at a third of the cost.
If you know how much money you will have to spend over there, just budget accordingly for every day and perhaps a bit more for Santiago.
Good luck!

The coments made by Sillydoll are right.

Whatever you do stay away from France: you cannot afford it. Take a bus from Madrid to Pamplona and a bus to Roncesvalles. This takes time but is cheap. There is only one bus per day from PAM (at 1800 hours on weekdays; earlier on Saturday; not on Sunday; look at Autobuses Artieda). Navarra is not really cheap but the closer you get to SDC the cheaper it gets. A free albergue (with food served) is Granon (just past Santo Domingo de la Calzada). The Galician refuges charge 3 euros from 1 January onwards. Good luck.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
jacobo said:
Whatever you do stay away from France: you cannot afford it.

I second this statement. I began and ended my summer of 2007 Camino experience in France (Paris, Bordeaux, Bayonne, St. Jean), and it was much more expensive than Spain - everything from food to accomodation cost more.

I like France, so I booked my round-trip ticket from the US to Paris' CDG airport. I spent 3 days in Bordeaux and a day each in Bayonne and St. Jean (These places cost me around 100-120 euros a day when factoring in hotel and meal costs - even St. Jean, although I stayed in a hotel there vs. an albergue). When I finished the Camino, I took a bus from Santiago to Paris, intending to hang out there for the 9 days I had before my flight left for Portland, Oregon.

However, my daily expenses in Paris were quite shocking after the relative frugality of the Camino. So, that and homesickness prompted me to leave 5 days early. Indeed, it was cheaper spending an extra 200 euros to rebook my flight than it would've been to remain in Paris - especially with our weak US dollar.

Thanks everyone for all the advice! I've been wondering a couple things recently.

1. Roncesvalles or St-Jean-Pied-du-Port? I've seen conflicting opinions on which is the best place to start the Camino from and I was wondering what your opinions were.

2. What is the most economic way of getting from Atlanta in the U.S. to Roncesvalles/St-Jean-Pied-du-Port and then back again? A round trip deal from ATL to Madrid seems like the most common sense solution, but I wonder if there is anything out there that would save money and still be relatively simple. Taking a flight from Atlanta to London and some alternate form of transportation from there maybe?

3. Most people bring a sleeping back on the Camino, but they usually just write "sleeping bag" on their packing list and neglect to specify what temperature it's rated for, whether the fill is synthetic or down, and other such information. What type of sleeping bag do most people bring?

4. I've read accounts of people bringing only a silk liner and others bringing a 30 degree goose down mummy bag. I realize a great deal of this is just personal preference and some albergues provide blankets while others don't , but I was wondering what the average temperature was in the albergues at night. From the weather reports that I have looked at, it looks like it gets pretty chilly at night in some parts. (I'm going from late May to Late June.)

Thanks for any advice and reading all these questions. Please don't type up a long answer if there is already a link or page I missed somewhere that already answers my question. No need for unnecessary effort! :D

Questions:

Roncesvalles or St-Jean-Pied-du-Port?

There are no conflicting opinions on where to start - only different opnions! According to Walter Starkie, the camino frances actualy starts at the rue St Jacques in Paris. Very few Spanish pilgrims cross over into France to start walking to the tomb of their Patron Saint so you must make up your own mind where to start depending on how much time you have to walk 780kms.

from ATL to Madrid

If you can fly to Madrid, you can book an Open Jaw ticket flying into Pamplona and back from Santiago (both via Madrid).

sleeping bags

Now here are conflicting opinions! I have only ever used a silk sleeping bag liner - walking in May/June: June/July: August/September - and have found that most albergues have blankets (not Roncesvalles) and in those that don't, I just wear extra clothes. If you decide to take a sleeping bag, try the Rei Travel Sack at http://www.rei.com/product/731835 It weighs about 27oz, has a 13oC rating and costs $59.

albergues

Most albergues are warm inside (all those sleeping bodies!) although San Juan de Ortega in May was perishingly cold).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
IanBerr21 said:
1. Roncesvalles or St-Jean-Pied-du-Port? I've seen conflicting opinions on which is the best place to start the Camino from and I was wondering what your opinions were.

2. What is the most economic way of getting from Atlanta in the U.S. to Roncesvalles/St-Jean-Pied-du-Port and then back again?

3. Most people bring a sleeping back on the Camino, but they usually just write "sleeping bag" on their packing list and neglect to specify what temperature it's rated for, whether the fill is synthetic or down, and other such information. What type of sleeping bag do most people bring?

4. I've read accounts of people bringing only a silk liner and others bringing a 30 degree goose down mummy bag.

1. Perhaps the main consideration (aside from time constraints, cost, and logistics) is whether or not you want the experience of crossing the Pyrenees mountains. It's quite a beautiful stage, at least when the weather is nice. However, it's also long and strenuous, especially for one's first day on the Camino. But I'm glad I did it from St. Jean, because it was an amazing day of walking.

2. Since Roncesvalles is in Spain, St. Jean is in France, and both are separated by a mountain range, whichever one you pick may determine what country you fly into/out of. There seems to be any number of ways you can get to either one of those starting points. Since I began in St. Jean (and wanted to spend some time in France before and after the Camino), I flew in and out of Paris (from Portland, Oregon), and took trains down to Bordeaux, Bayonne, and St. Jean. When I finished up in Santiago, I took a bus back to Paris. However, if I had decided to begin in Roncesvalles, I think I would've flown into and out of Spain - say, Madrid perhaps. And keep in mind that you can fly open-jaw as well - say, into Paris and out of Madrid. There's a thread on this site dedicated to getting to and from the starting points - check it out for more info.

3 & 4. I brought both - a silk travel sleep sack and a 40 degree North Face Allegheny synthetic sleeping bag. Even though I did the Camino during July and August of 2007, some nights were chilly (I guess it was a cooler summer than usual). I ended up leaving the inadequate and binding sleep sack behind at an albergue early on and using the North Face bag. For me, it was perfect - comfy and flexible, especially since it is rectangular and unzips all the way into a quilt, thus allowing me to stretch/expose my legs and keep them cool or warm as needed (kind of a quirk of mine). Yes, many albergues have blankets - but some don't. And you can't always count on the blankets being clean, either. Plus, if you get stuck outside, or in an overflow room at a full albergue, then it's best to have your own bag. :arrow:

Hi, my young friend.

To spend this averaged 1 euro per km you have to spend just what you need, just so. If you want to spend more, be carefull. Navarra, the first part of the Camino is more expensive than the galician region.

Enjoy your Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Funnily enough I was walking with a group of young people recently when the conversation turned to the subject of money. I trotted out the usual "1 euro a day - so they say" and they were appalled - they had no intentions of spending such a large amount. They bought provisions in supermarkets, sought out donativo albergues and cooked wherever they could. They thought a Pilgrims' Menu for 8 euros should be reserved for special occassions - I was impressed!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, John, but it's possible. You know the very good climate into the albergues on dinner time when someone is cooking for the others.

There's any meals quite cheap, as pasta (spaguettis, and so on), or rice, or similar. Breakfasts into the albergue (Bars can be quite expensive) and always carrying some food in your backpack.

Because it's true, euro is now expensive for americans and everything is expensive, now, for spaniards.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Javier Martin said:
euro is now expensive for americans

You got that right! :shock: However, I've been to Europe three times (2003, 2005, and 2007 for the Camino) - and the Camino was the only trip where I managed to actually save money during a holiday. Indeed, I think I heard somewhere that the Camino was number 6 on a "Top 10" list of bargain "vacations." :arrow:

Javier - I wasn't disagreeing with you about the 1 euro per kilometre - I found young people wanted their pilgrimage to cost a lot LESS! Presumably they used exactly the methods you describe. But it is certainly possible to economise.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for the advice! It sounds to me like I'll probably be somewhere in the middle between the normal pilgrim and the various other young people mentioned. It's very encouraging though to know that it can be done that cheaply.

I investigated both the sleeping bags mentioned and the REI Travel Sack looks awesome. I don't know how I missed that when I was searching for sleeping bags. That combined with a silk liner is probably what I'll end up getting. Lucky for me I've already been asking for REI gift cards for Christmas.

Once again, thanks for all the advice.

After many Caminos, what I can say, to you and to everybody, is: Spend what is necessary in your boots, your socks and your backpack (your mochila, I don't know the exact english word). But ... what is really important to enjoy the Camino, is ... just ILUSION, just so. The richest and happiest person is not who more owns, but who less needs. If you enjoys the Camino, without needind spending money, and your body and your feet are OK ... ¡¡NO PROBLEM!!

And, as Johnny says, it's possible to walk the Camino spending no money, but ... sometimes ... why not?

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

IanBerr21 said:
Lucky for me I've already been asking for REI gift cards for Christmas

REI is awesome - that's where I got the bulk of my Camino gear (the dividend helped). I also looked at the REI Travel Sack, and I would've gone with it if the North Face bag hadn't been cheaper (it was marked down during one of REI's sales).

Anyway, I envy you - the planning/research/preparation stage for the Way was an exciting time. Buen Camino! ;-)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A free albergue (with food served) is Granon (just past Santo Domingo de la Calzada) ... Jacobo.

About it, I have something to say: There's a few albergues where you can pass your night, even take your dinner and your breakfast FREE. But ...

How many pilgrims really can't pay for it? Just a very, very few. So, if you really can, please, DO IT.

Most can but a usual hospitalero can't say to you: "four euros" Pay what you thing is correct. Will take your dinner here? Pay what you consider. Take your breakfast? You know the rules. Money received today is necessary for pilgrims for tomorrow.

These are rules in "just any" albergues, where is the ancient spirit of the Camino de Santiago.

Buen Camino, of course in the best albergues when it's possible ...

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Hey there great to hear you are doing the camino, I am looking for someone to travel with I am much older than you but believe i can do it since i am very active. get back and we will share.

Peace and joy in the lord.

niel

1. Roncesvalles or St-Jean-Pied-du-Port? I'd say it depends upon what you want to do. Either is a good starting point. I personally wanted to start at SJPdP because I'm a bit of a masochist & I liked the idea of crossing a border on foot. Of course, by the time I got to the Camino, France & Spain were part of the European Union & so all I did was wave to the empty booth at what had been the border crossing. :lol: But still, it was fun.

2. What is the most economic way of getting from Atlanta in the U.S. to Roncesvalles/St-Jean-Pied-du-Port and then back again? You should get some really good deals from ATL, since that's Delta's hub & lots of US & international carriers land there. Avoid going via the UK, however, since the exchange rate with the pound will really decimate any savings on fares, unless you can get an EasyJet or RyanAir fare from the airport you land in (Gatwick or Heathrow). If you can't find any cheap fares to Madrid/Pamplona/Santiago from those airports, you will have to get yourself to Luton or Stanstead & that's not cheap! If you want to start in St Jean, you can fly into Paris & out of Madrid. I booked a similar flight in May on Continental for about what it would have cost to rt from either city.

3 & 4. I have both a sleep sack & an ultralight sleeping bag. I used both on my trip in September. Sometimes, I only used the sleeping bag to lie on; other times, I was all wrapped up in it because it was so dang cold! :) I don't know what temperature my bag is rated to, but I think it is to at least 50F. It's a "Guide Gear Ultralight 600E" which I snagged off of Ebay. While it can get very warm during the day, at night it can get quite chilly, so I was glad I had both, especially when the albergues didn't provide blankets.

Kelly

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi,

I took a silk bag with me for my few days on the Camino in early July '07.
Luckily each place I stopped I got a bed with mattress.
i slept soundly each night, but perhaps the coolest, in terms of temperature was Roncesvalles.

Enjoy your planning

Buen Camino

WolverineDG said:
I have both a sleep sack & an ultralight sleeping bag. I used both on my trip in September.

I also brought along both a sleeping bag (40 degree synthetic bag) and a silk sleep sack. But I had way too much stuff with me, and I ended up abandoning the silk sack at an albergue. The sleeping bag was just fine for me - it zipped out into a blanket, which was a nice feature because I like to expose my legs to cool down.

However, that strategy didn't work so well in one albergue, where I awoke the next day to find my legs covered in mosquito bites. However, the other three folks in my bunk area were basically untouched, so I guess I took the brunt of the attack for them... :cry: :)

WolverineDG said:
I personally wanted to start at SJPdP because I'm a bit of a masochist & I liked the idea of crossing a border on foot.

I liked that idea as well, and the walk over the mountains is beautiful - but also long and somewhat taxing. Even so, I'm glad I started in St. Jean - it was a nice town to spend a day in, and there are more resources there (shops, supermarket, pilgrim office) if you need to get a last-minute Camino-related item.

WolverineDG said:
If you want to start in St Jean, you can fly into Paris & out of Madrid.

Flying open-jaw (into one city and out the other) in this scenario is a good idea - I did it during my first trip to Europe back in 2003 (flew into Amsterdam and out of Madrid). When I did the Camino, I flew in and out of Paris because I wanted to hang out in France before and after my trip. But a 23-hour bus ride from Santiago to Paris is a bit much. It was nice to hang out in Paris for 3 nights before going home, but if I could do it over again, I think I'd follow Wolvie's suggestion... :arrow:

Hey there people what does REI stand for, I am not familiar with these initials.

niel

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked the camino this year and as a grad student, I understand your money concerns. Most days I spent less than what other people say (20-25 euro/a day, or 1 euro/km). For the first couple of weeks I wrote how much money I spent each day in my diary and most of the time it was around 13 euro. If you stay in the public albergues, don't drink a lot of beer and coffee, and eat inexpensive food, as well as not needing to buy anything along the way of significant cost (like a sleeping bag or camera), there is no reason you should spend more than 15 euros most days. Albergues cost an average of 5 euro/night, dinner is about 7 euro/night, and you can get bread and cheese for lunch/breakfast, so if you are frugal it is quite inexpensive!

fiddletree said:
don't drink a lot of beer and coffee

Good heavens, man - that's like going without clothes! Oy, a Camino without fine drink is like a fish without a bicycle. Or something like that... :wink:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
well if you just get one beer and one coffee a day and limit it to that.... for me, the camino without beer or coffee... well, I can't really imagine it. It was nice to look forward to the first cafe I came across in the morning, and a nice cold beer from a vending machine or local bar when finishing a day's walk.

I suppose moderation is they key.

fiddletree said:
I suppose moderation is they key.

You shaid it (hic)! :wink: No one really likes a falling-down drunk on the Way. But the larger issue with drinking too much of anything (especially coffee and booze) is having to get up at night in a dark, crowded, and unfamiliar albergue to make multiple bathroom trips. I think that was a major factor for me when it came to keeping moderation in mind... :oops:

Hey everyone thanks for putting up with all my questions you are great. I ordered my CSJ guide so I suppose I am going to do it. I plan 1st of May and give my self all the time I need and do it slow. Now I checked the sleeping bag on REI and looks good in case. What about the REI Travel Sack can you esxplain and and other helpful hints.
Thanks niel

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
AMEN, I agree that first cup of coffee and a cold beer or glass of wine is considered a treat for me.

niel

nathanael said:
Now I checked the sleeping bag on REI and looks good in case. What about the REI Travel Sack can you esxplain and and other helpful hints.

When I was looking at the +45 REI Travel Sack vs. the 40 degree North Face Allegheny, I was initially considering the REI bag. However, the North Face bag went on sale, so at the time it was cheaper than the REI Travel Sack (and it's cheaper now as well).

Also, the North Face bag is synthetic, which is important to me. Down is warm, and crunches down smaller than synthetic. But when down gets wet, it loses its warming power and stays wet for a long time. Synthetic will dry faster and retain more insulating ability when wet. Of course, if you protect your bag, then you don't have to worry about that.

The Allegheny, unlike the REI bag, is rectangular, so it has more room to move inside (I also have a 20 degree Sierra Designs bag, and I find the mummy bag design a bit confining). Plus, the NF bag unzips into a quilt, which for me was key because I like to extend my legs out into the air to cool down (although that can expose you to mosquitos, as I found out in one albergue. So you have to remember to put on bug repellant before going to bed).

I suppose it also comes down to which REI Travel Bag you are looking at. On the REI site as of this writing, there is an REI 55+ synthetic bag for $59, and the +45 REI Travel Down for $109. I'm not sure if REI sells the North Face Allegheny anymore, but the North Face site lists it for $79.

Anyway, some stuff to think about. If you end up buying a bag that you hate, you can always replace it on the Way in Logrono or Burgos... :arrow:

Am I missing something...or is everyone talking about syn v down...design...cost and not weight! I used a cheap, bulky, Coleman, rectangular, 40+ on the AT...it was a "no name", comfortable, "Bulky", inexpensive bag...and it weighted 8+ lbs. On My Camino, I will take a LaFuma, down 600, 40+, that's no bigger than a large sausage (ok a very large sausage) and weighs in at 1lb 6oz.

Take care of your bag and it won't get wet. Besides...you'll be inside...not living in the bush!

Now, VT, I understand you have a "need to go" situation...so, maybe the problem is internal wetness...LMAO.

Love ya Brother.

Arn

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Arn said:
cost and not weight!

Yes, I should've mentioned weight - even if you are the guy who wants to tote a friggin' chair along... :wink:

According to the websites, The REI Travel Down +45 weighs 27 ounces (1.6 pounds). The NF 40 degree bag weighs 2.8 pounds. And as I mentioned above (and Arn said as well), down crushes down smaller. So those are factors to keep in mind.

But for something I used every night and counted on for sleep comfort (rest is important, as Arn mentioned in another thread, and an albergue owner said to me), I had no problem shlepping a little extra sleeping bag weight - that sacrifice was worth it to me. But, we're all different - and that extra weight/size savings might make it worth going with the REI bag...

Arn said:
Take care of your bag and it won't get wet.

That's true, so make sure you have a good poncho, pack liner, and pack cover, or combinations thereof, depending on what strategy you use for rain protection. It would be no fun walking 10-20 kilos through a rainstorm only to find out at the albergue that the contents of your pack are soaked.

Arn said:
Love ya Brother.

Right back at ya! :) :arrow:

This probably doesn't belong in this thread...than again, maybe it does.

I've been on the road since last Monday, on the AT training three out of five...in a classroom instructing some very intense folks and drove nearly 1,000 miles. I got home about 1200. I started a fire...(remember I live in an American colonial house built in 1783 and heated by wood)...it's 31 degrees outside. My cats (Mystri...on my lap...and Fredrick...between my legs near my feet), obviously missed me...or it could have been the wet food I dished up.

My point is this: As soon as I got home...I logged on to "santiago-today"..., hit the youtube Gregorian chants...and felt like I was truly home.

Ivar, Sil, Hilda, Johnny Walker, Deirdre, Br. David, Rafferty...All my fellow peregrino(a)s...have become family. I get motivated reading, absorbing, interacting and just thinking about...what will become Our Camino. Some of you have walked many times, some only once and some...myself included...will walk!

VT and I have never met (though I hope we do), but we share an experience few will ever choose...and many that do...may not make the grade. In more ways than one...he is my Brother.

We who ask, inform, and share our insight and experiences on the Camino...will become Brothers and Sisters. Fellow peregrinos and peregrinas of the Milky Way!

Buen Camino

Arn

My planning is slowly coming along. Everyone's packing lists have been very helpful. I still have many small things to buy, but all the expensive stuff has been paid for. Right now our group of three is planning on leaving very late May and flying into Paris. We'll spend maybe three days there in a cheap hotel/hostel seeing the typical tourist attractions. Then we'll take a train down to St. Jean and start the Camino. Here is the very rough schedule I made, largely taken from the Brierly book.

- means we'll be walking there that day
I tried to have six days of stuff in each week so that there is a free day for sicknesses and other problems. My goal is to be at the end location by the end of each week, but besides that the schedule is very loose.

WEEK 1
-St.Jean-Ronsesvalles
-Larrasoana
1-2 days in Pamplona
-Cizur Menor
-Puente la Reina
-Estella

WEEK 2
? Day in Estella ?
-Arcos
-Logrono
? Day in Logrono ?
-Najera
-Santo Domingo
-Belorado
-St. Juan

WEEK 3
-Burgos
1-2 days in Burgos
-Hornillo
-Castrojeriz
-Fromista
-Carrion

WEEK 4
? Day in Carrion ?
-Torradillos
? Day in Sahagun ?
-El Burgo Raneo
-Mansilla
-Leon
1-2 days in Leon

WEEK 5
-Marife
-Astorga
Day in Astorga
-Rabanal
-Molinseca
Day in Ponferrada

WEEK 6
-Villafranca
-O’ Cebreiro
-Triacastela
-Sarria
-Portomaria
-Palas de Rei

WEEK 7
? Day in Melide ?
-Ribadiso
-Arca
-Santiago
1-3 Days in Santiago

What's the general wisdom on walking less each day vs. having rest days? Rest days sound good to me because then we won't have to take days off to see cities. Advice of any type is welcome. Thanks!

We planned on having rest days on our camino but never did! We got into a walking 'zone' and just wanted to keep going.
We only walked short distances - less than 20km most days - so arrived fairly early at our overnight stop. This gave us plenty of time to look around.
We met people, made friends, and didn't want to miss seeing them along the road - which will happen if you keep having rest days.
We also got country-fever which meant that we didn't want to stay in the large cities with the sound of traffic, crowds of people, bright lights.
Remember that you can only spend one night in a refuge so you will have to move into a hotel/inn for your all of your 2nd nights.
This is what we found - but, everybody is different and its your camino so you must do it your way - just go with the flow!

Ian, first of all, take a look at where your Sundays fall. In most of the small towns, they lock things up tighter than a drum, making it hard to find food for the evening as well as the next day. :) It seemed to me that in Burgos, most restaurants were closed on Tuesday evenings, so that's something else to consider as well. I see you've got your rest days lined up with the larger cities, so that's a good start. Just remember that you may find yourself walking less distance/day or more distance/day, so it pays to be prepared enough to be flexible.

Personally, I would stop at Zubiri instead of Larrasoana. Zubiri has more places to stay, as well as more stores & restaurants to eat at. Albergue Zaldiko is a great little place to stay. As for Pamplona/Cizur Menor, you could bum around Pamplona & see the sights the morning/afternoon that you arrive & then spend the night at Cizur Menor.

As for arriving in Burgos, I would stay at Villafranca Montes de Oca instead of San Juan (no hot water at the albergue & the bathrooms are manky--see my blog). The next day, you could then walk to Atapuerca or even to Burgos if you take the bus option . Atapuerca has an interesting archaeological site & visitors center (well, interesting to me at least ;) ), so it's worth a stop.

Boadilla del Camino--the private albergue has a swimming pool, so if you're really hankering for a swim before you get to Fromista, you should consider stopping there. Fromista will only be an hour's walk away the next day.

Kelly

Thanks for all the advice. We're keeping a very loose schedule so I reckon we'll just do whatever we feel like when it comes to how much we walk each day. As long as we get to the final destination!

The individual bits of knowledge about the refugios and everything else are incredibly helpful. Guidebooks try to give that to you, but a human is infinitely better.

Some random thoughts...take them or leave them, cuz everyone's Camino is different, and the best laid plans of pilgrims and men change once your feet actually hit the trail. And remember that flexibility of mind and openness of heart are your two biggest assets on the Way...

IanBerr21 said:
1-2 days in Pamplona

I wish I'd done that. What was I thinking when I walked from Arre to Cizur Menor with only a few pauses here and there? Not staying in Pamplona is probably my biggest Camino regret. But then again, who can say? If I'd stayed, I wouldn't have met the great people I met. But then again again, I probably would've met others. Man, I need a drink... :wink:

IanBerr21 said:
-Cizur Menor

If you want to meet one of the gems of the Camino, stay in the Roncal albergue. If you're lucky, Maribel may even add maxipads to your boot inserts after draining your blisters.

No Cirauqui? I was introduced to the Pilgrim's Little Helper at the albergue - orujo de hierbas (excellent communal albergue meal & neat hilltop town, by the way). If you can still say the name after drinking it, then you haven't had enough.

IanBerr21 said:
? Day in Logrono ?

Glad I did that - the Planeta Agua outdoor store helped get me into a good pair of boots, a nice pair of Coolmax socks, and a spare Nalgene water bottle (they style themselves as specialists in Camino outfitting), and the cute gal behind the counter gave me a small gourd (that I later lost), and suggested the two best streets in town to grab some eats.

IanBerr21 said:
1-2 days in Burgos

It has a Pizza Hut...(hehe). I almost cried with joy when I got my Personal Pan Pizza after a couple weeks of pilgrim menus...indeed, it was almost a religious experience. Too bad they didn't serve vino in the restaurant, though - that would've been transcendent.

IanBerr21 said:
1-2 days in Leon

I really like Leon. Nice city - got a friend that lives there. If you get a chance to eat in the underground restaurant outside of town, take it. If not, do some bar/cafe crawling, and have some of the soggy potato-chip stuff as a snack. And don't miss the cathedral.

IanBerr21 said:

You may want to stay in the superlative Confraternity of St. James albergue (provided you get in), and then consider doing a 2-night retreat in the monastery right next door (2 nights is minimum). It's donativo, and will give you plenty of time to meditate. The food is good (you'll help cook it, and clean up afterwards), the beds are soft, they have a small library, you'll meet interesting people, and they'll even do your laundry for you - in machines, no less...

IanBerr21 said:
1-3 Days in Santiago

Yeah, baby! Time to party! :lol: Toss aside the pilgrim menu and eat the local dishes, especially seafood and white wine (yeah, sometimes you gotta drink outside the box). Salud! :arrow:

IanBerr21 said:
What's the general wisdom on walking less each day vs. having rest days?

I walked less and had rest days, so I guess I pulled a Kobayashi Maru. I was forced to do that because I brought too much and had funky boots. Not training AT ALL before I left probably contributed to my pain as well (although I was in good shape from boxing, yoga, and martial arts). But at least the vino, orujo, ibuprofen, and analgesic gel got me through the rough spots. Not to mention getting rid of lots of stuff, and mailing unneeded items ahead to Santiago from Najera... Well, whatever you do or find on the Way, I wish you a Buen Camino! :arrow:

Notes re: Cirauqui

If you are walking through, make sure you get the sello for your passport! It's in the tunnel & there are signs on the left pointing to it. It's a do it yourself sello, so most don't get it.

After you have left town, keep turning around, especially if the sun is shining. You might get lucky & take a snap of Cirauqui as the sun shines through the tunnel you walked through. Pretty cool shot if you can get it. :)

Kelly

All this advice has been so helpful!

Everything is on schedule. My friend and I leave from Atlanta on May 25, and we'll start the Camino on either the 26 or 27 from St. Jean. Almost all the major stuff has been bought. Now I just need to go to Eckerds and buy a bunch of small things.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi IanBer,
Just another thought - those "small things" at Eckerds tend to weigh alot! Even though I noted all the warnings about women bringing to many "cosmetics" - I swear all I brought was a sunblock and a moisturizer! - the shampoo, hand sanitizer, wetwipes all were the major cause of my overweighted pack. Don't overdo in terms of the sanitary stuff that all americans feel the need to have with them at all times!

You can buy "pilgrim size" bottles of shampoo and anything else you need at many farmacias and grocery stores along the way - another good way to perfect your Spanish! Besides, many people leave things in the albergues...stuff they brought and don't need. The next time I do the Camino, I intend to do just that... bring a few things to intentionally leave!
Have a great Prom and Graduation, and then off to Spain!
Buen Camino,

Dear Ian:
Buen Camino! My son walked the Camino three years ago, when he was a 17-year-old high school student. It made a man of him! (seeing as the other option was the Army, it wasn´t a tough choice.)

Stop by for some American food and/or a sello you come through Moratinos. Just don´t blink, or you´ll miss it.

Rebekah

Hi Ian :)
Not being very bright I've just come across your postings and see you are starting late May. In that case there is a chance that, as Vinotinto recommends, that you may get to stay in the 'English' refugio at Rabanal. I'll be working there as hospitalero in the last 2 weeks of June - would be good to welcome you!
Buen Camino,

Brendan

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Most definitely! I'm only planning on bringing dandruff shampoo, and a block of soap. Most of the Eckerd's stuff will just be first aid that will be split between the two of us.

We'll stop by the refugio in Rabanal for sure. Which one is it exactly though? My guidebook has four listed, El Tesin, Guacelmo, Pilar, and an albergue municipal.

The CSJ albergue is Guacelmo. When you go into town, turn left down a very short calle and it is behind the church (or directly across from depending on your point of view) next to the Beledictine Monastery.
Buen Camino,

Hi Ian :)
Re Guacelmo - whenever you hit Rabanal hope you make it to Gaucelmo. Just a word about what may happen as you enter the village. El Tesin is a good refugio, clean, comfortable, etc and Damian who runs it is a very kind man. However he's obviously not always on duty and it has been known for some of the other hospitaleros to tell pilgrims that the other refugios are full :( , when in fact that is not the case. If you are in Rabanal last 2 weeks of June and Gaucelmo is full please call round for a cup of tea anyway - it is after all the 'English' refugio! :D
El Pilar is also a good refugio and much larger, about 60 beds - a good welcome from Isabel, does meals and has bar. The municipal refugio is next to El Pilar but last May it was only open erratically, I don't know what's happening this year.
Buen Camino :arrow:

Brendan

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for all the advice once again! We're heading to the airport in just a few hours. After taking a number of trains, we'll start the Camino on May, 29.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wow, it's been a while since the last time I posted.

The trip was fantastic and tons of fun. We'll never forget the people we met on the way. We walked from Roncesvalles to Santiago and then to Finisterre in about 40 days. I would recommend the trip to anyone.

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice before the trip. It was very useful. Let me comment on one or two things though. Keep in mind we walked from late May to early July.

Sleeping pad or not?---I never once used the pad I brought. There are so many albergues and if you walk relatively fast, you won't have any problems getting a bed. Completely unnecessary unless you're planning on camping (which is also probably a bad idea.) Might be useful on the Finisterre route since there are fewer albergues and they fill up MUCH faster.

Sleeping bag--- I brought a 40 degree bag and it was overkill. Bring a 55 or 60 or even a warm liner. You can always just get blankets if it's cold.

Finisterre---The walk there was gorgeous. Seeing the ocean for the first time was far better than the cathedral in Santiago in my opinion. The only thing is there's not a real sense of accomplishment upon arriving in Santiago. You're not done yet, and the odds are everyone you've walked with will stop there and celebrate. We did too, but it was half-hearted. Finisterre is completely worth it though. Burning what I could at the end was cathartic.

Mailing stuff on---I mailed about 3 kilos of stuff to Santiago expecting to pick it up there since multiple people had said that they hold it for 30 days. Not true. They hold it for 15 days or less. We got lucky, and they hadn't gotten rid of our stuff yet.

Walking with someone you already know---For me, this was a good thing. I'm not a very social person by nature and would not have met half the people if it were not for the high school friend who went with me. It would have been a completely different experience not walking it with him.

These are just a few things that come to mind. If anyone has questions feel free to ask.

IanBerr21 said:
Thanks for all the advice once again! We're heading to the airport in just a few hours. After taking a number of trains, we'll start the Camino on May, 29.

Hey May 29 ended up being the day I went from SJPP to Orisson. We must have been on the Camino very close to one another in time and place!!!! I see you have a hat for your avatar. I quite often saw a young man walking with such a hat, together with a couple of young women from the US and a couple of other young men. You weren't part of such a group, walking towards Rabanal on 23 June were you?
Margaret

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I just got the one photo of them. I had seen them off and on, as you do, for a while. On this occasion, which turned out to be the last time I saw them, we were resting and I whipped out my camera.
Margaret

Attachments

• young people heading for Rabanal.jpg
    young people heading for Rabanal.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 140
nathanael said:
Hey there people what does REI stand for, I am not familiar with these initials.

niel

Recreational Equipment Incorporated... ROCKS !!!

Most read last week in this forum

Watching the weather for my April 26-May 1 walk. Too early to see the future, and now my question: Disposable ponchos( maybe 2) or more reliable poncho? Just carrying a very small backpack( bags...
Hi Everyone, This is kind of embarassing! I am leaving in 2 days, for my 3rd Camino and will primarily be walking the Camino Frances in April. My previous Caminos have been in June and June/July...
if needed, can I purchase a rain poncho along my upcoming route from Tui to Santiago de compostela? As I watch the weather forecast for April 25-May 1st it appears TODAY that there will be very...
I will be starting my walk in May 2024. I will have my iphone with t-mobile service, which works fine in most of Europe. My question is for those of you who have been on this route, and had your...
Preparing from Tasmania (island state of Australia) to walk about a month of the VP at my slow pace (maybe average 15km/day) with just the essentials on my back (so currently obsessed with the...
Hi All, Rachel from UK here. I walked part of the Camino in 2019 (6days from Pamplona). Last year I walked Frances until Leon. 2024 is the route to Santiago. Any tips from Leon to Santiago...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back