• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Highlight Sections (???)

John P.

Hi All -

I was wondering if you could give me the sections of the via de la plata that stand out in your mind as highlights - Seville to Zafra?, Salamanca to Zamora?, Puebla de Sanabria to Gudina? - etc. (I'm just pulling those out of my hat) - and maybe a description as to why. Towns? - Scenery? - Food? - People? - - -

Thanks!

John P.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Good question! My overall impression is of changing scenery-endless vines/olive trees then undulating hills with various grains/crops growing then in Galicia wooded areas, greenery and hills. Salamanca stabds out as an oasis after the hard dry slogs-beautiful city with plenty to see and nice places to eat. I also shared a hotel room with a danish bloke I met so enjoyed the comparative luxury.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Until end April/May when I walk again from Salamanca my knowledge is of the first half of this route. I thought it was stunning - challenging, beautiful, the people were friendly. It was some of the best walking ever and I will definitely do it again in a different season. I always found a bed, food and breakfast. And I have long lasting memories of the most fabulous cities along the way - Sevilla, Zafra (the little Sevilla) Cacares with its medieval city and Merida with its fabulous Roman architecture and of course the unrivalled Salamanca. Some stages were totally tranquil - the Alison Raju guide book describes it like "walking on top of the world" - mostly it was rural Spain at its most alluring. As you can tell - I loved it! :)

Hi John,

I would be curious on your take from Salamanca also. I'm debating on where to start and was considering Salamanca, but maybe I should do the same as you did - and just start from Seville and go as far as I can.....

Thanks,

JOhn P.

I thought I would have had more time but as it turned out I had three weeks and did the journey to Salamanca from Sevilla comfortably in 19 days - in fact on reflection I should have had at least one additional rest day. In the future I want to explore Caceres and Merida a little more. Salamanca is a good stopping point with easy access to Madrid and the airport via the express bus service.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Highlight sections (???) Via de la Plata/camino mozarabe

John,
Walk it from Sevilla! Like Johnnalexander we loved it. We have walked a few routes and the V.de la P. is my favourite. The whole experience was wonderful. Alison Raju told me the flowers in May would be "as far as the eye could see" and they really were. The smell of the cistus and iris was marvellous, the orchids superb, the cities were unmissable, the black Iberico pigs a delight, (so was their ham!), and the people were so welcoming. You see such an interesting aspect of Spain on that route. Perhaps you have not enough time to walk it all in one go. We were walking for five weeks in 2001. This was too short a time (too many kms on some days!) but there was, then, a need to walk long distances because of lack of accommodation. Things should be easier now, I hope.
I wish you well, Buen Camino!

Marion

Via de la Plata

I walked the section from Salamanca to Santiago in May/June 2007 and the highlight was the section over the hills from A Gudina to Campobocceros with staggering views of the embalse. It was like a walk on top of the world and if I can get my computer skills to work I'd he happy to send you photos.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back