• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Highlight

ACL

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Camino Portugese, Camino Zagora
I had such a wonderful walk on the Camino Portugese, after walking the Frances i couldn't get enough and had to continue the experience.

I had just arrived into a small village a few days after leaving Coimbra (I had some great hospitality there, from some university students) and was about to pitch up my tent for the night..

I found a small little vineyard and as it was getting dark (I usually pitch my tent just before sunrise to avoid any disturbances) i pitched my tent and a man man walked around the corner and was staring at my with his hand on his hips. Uh-oh i guess i'll have to find another place to camp..

I walk forward and tell the man i am a pilgrim walking to Santiago, In this moment he jumps onto his small tractor and says "Here is what i can offer, but you have to come drink some wine with my family"

(I was barely able to translate what he was saying, but it was pretty simple communicating with body language.)

Why not... i thought.

I headed in and he offered me dinner, I politely decline.. Having just eaten my nightly ration of chocolate muesli (I carried kilos of it, as i was walking without money and needed a back up plan if the tree's didn't provide, fortunately it was a great time of the year for nuts/oranges/kiwis/apples)

He took me into the dinner room, and there were huge beef patties, king prawns, fresh cheese and wine all being served up, Suddenly i changed my mind... and communicated i'd love to have dinner. I sat down at the table, talking with his daughter who spoke some English, where-in she then communicated i was a good guy, and they should give me a bed. I greatly accepted the offer of that and a shower (it had been a while!)

I then told them i'd like to look around for a few hours in the little village, which the kindly obliged.

I ended up getting lost on the way back, and ended up there at 1 am.. (my fear of knocking on the wrong door was overwhelming) and woke them (i'm sorry!) so they could answer the door.

The farmer kindly welcomed me and pointed me into the direction of the kitchen, we he proceeded to feed me a large amount of biscuits and wine while in his underpants.. We watched TV, yet could hardly communicate.

But i'll never forget the look on the mans face as he opened the door to me that night.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I had such a wonderful walk on the Camino Portugese, after walking the Frances i couldn't get enough and had to continue the experience.

I had just arrived into a small village a few days after leaving Coimbra (I had some great hospitality there, from some university students) and was about to pitch up my tent for the night..

I found a small little vineyard and as it was getting dark (I usually pitch my tent just before sunrise to avoid any disturbances) i pitched my tent and a man man walked around the corner and was staring at my with his hand on his hips. Uh-oh i guess i'll have to find another place to camp..

I walk forward and tell the man i am a pilgrim walking to Santiago, In this moment he jumps onto his small tractor and says "Here is what i can offer, but you have to come drink some wine with my family"

(I was barely able to translate what he was saying, but it was pretty simple communicating with body language.)

Why not... i thought.

I headed in and he offered me dinner, I politely decline.. Having just eaten my nightly ration of chocolate muesli (I carried kilos of it, as i was walking without money and needed a back up plan if the tree's didn't provide, fortunately it was a great time of the year for nuts/oranges/kiwis/apples)

He took me into the dinner room, and there were huge beef patties, king prawns, fresh cheese and wine all being served up, Suddenly i changed my mind... and communicated i'd love to have dinner. I sat down at the table, talking with his daughter who spoke some English, where-in she then communicated i was a good guy, and they should give me a bed. I greatly accepted the offer of that and a shower (it had been a while!)

I then told them i'd like to look around for a few hours in the little village, which the kindly obliged.

I ended up getting lost on the way back, and ended up there at 1 am.. (my fear of knocking on the wrong door was overwhelming) and woke them (i'm sorry!) so they could answer the door.

The farmer kindly welcomed me and pointed me into the direction of the kitchen, we he proceeded to feed me a large amount of biscuits and wine while in his underpants.. We watched TV, yet could hardly communicate.

But i'll never forget the look on the mans face as he opened the door to me that night.

Hi
You can believe.
Most Portuguese are just like this.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.