• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Highlights in the Camino

Gina G

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to walk the Camino someday. It's a long cherished dream.
I would like to know what are the highlights in the Camino Francés. I mean either historical sites or Camino main stops no one can miss.
Thanks for the hints.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Honnestly, no building will be as much of a highlight as the feeling you get day after day, just walking.

This being said, the 1 site I would not miss, is the Eunate church. It is off Camino, by about a km or two, just before arriving in Puente La Reina.

Welcome to the forum! You have asked a huge question!o_O

There is nothing that you "can't miss" on the Camino de Santiago, except the Cathedral in Santiago:p. You cannot help but pass interesting places if you generally follow one of the routes, so it really depends on what type of thing you are interested in. Various guidebooks and websites will list sights. Or you can pick the major towns on a map, and google them to get an idea.

You could start with a website such as Mundicamino, get a guide from this site, or look at the thread that gives links to people's blogs (there are hundreds of blogs where people describe their highlights and lowlights) and then just wander through the internet. Enjoy!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The places that you will be so glad that you did not miss.........will be the places that you find........or that find you ;)

You'll understand that after a few days walking.....:)

To illustrate what I mean, have a look at this page, and read down as far as the Cherry Blossom.
That tree, on that path, at that time, was a very special place on my Camino.
http://robscamino.com/23rd-of-may-my-mojo-is-back/

And there were many others.....

Last edited:
Hi Gina, for me everyday walking has it's
highlights.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter .

Starting somewhere, ending in the Prazo Obradoiro! All the rest is what you make of it, and you will remember it more for what you make of it than what others might tell you to make of it.

That said, Gitlitz and Davidson's The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago is a great resource (get the Kindle version, or read it before you go - don't try and carry the hard copy!) because it covers such a lot of what you might not see without it. Also consider a good guidebook - you can walk without one, but I find it useful to know more about what to expect during the day than just where I will find the next albergue.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Like others said it can be a myriad of buildings, sights, encounters etc..

For example : I personally do not care much for the grandeur of the Santiago cathedral but prefer a small negelected romanesque church on the road itself...

And again for me, the in between stops ( where Brierley says to move on ;);) ) can hide more hidden gems than the mandatory stops.

But most importantly the best sight to see is when you are talking with a complete stranger in that albergue for the night and you have this instant connection. Even if you see this person only for a day : the connection will change your life.
And that is what the Camino is full off : the daily meetings , big or small. And this combined with the cultural and historical finds : Life really cannot get any better! Except for the occasional blister;) ( And that could be a sight too...seeing grown men almost cry because of huge blisters....but that is another story...:D ).

Last edited:
It really also depends what would be a highlight for you ;-) Those special albergues, gorgeous architecture, interesting churches, pilgrim specific church services, food and wine? So many things to choose from! Here a few:

Pilgrims mass and blessing in Roncesvalles.
Leon Cathedral with its stained glass windows (visit during the afternoon for major impact).
San Isidro with its frescos (also Leon).
The Templers castle in Ponferrada.
and.and.and.

Buen Camino, SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes to all of the above!

What was a surprise was how the Museum of Human Evolution in Burgos sparked awe and wonder in me.
But then again, awe and wonder were everyday experiences.

Buen Camino!

Honnestly, no building will be as much of a highlight as the feeling you get day after day, just walking.

This being said, the 1 site I would not miss, is the Eunate church. It is off Camino, by about a km or two, just before arriving in Puente La Reina.

Every day is a highlight in itself; on the not so souvenir-picture-postcard days , you will have chance meetings with people who will impress you and whose sayings and/or stories will keep with you for a long time !!!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would say to be open to the unexpected! Don't worry too much about an agenda and don't follow the agenda of others... if you do that then you will have many PERSONAL highlights! The way is a very personal journey (to quote a famous movie)!
But without a doubt the highlight for me was the people I met and the friendships I gained... some were 5 minute connections and others are lifetime friendships but each of them impacted me in some way!

I would also recommend a visit to the santuario virgen Maria church in sahagun... it is the official midpoint of the camino and they offer a midpoint certificate - which I found spurred me forward (not that anything would stop me) - plus the artifacts inside are fabulous!
Buen Camino!

I would like to know what are the highlights in the Camino Francés. I mean either historical sites or Camino main stops no one can miss.
Thanks for the hints.

My favourite highlights are mountain tops. Views from Pyreenes . I yearn for mountains lot of history in ronsevellas. Lots of churches closed as no priests and security. Sit on a mountain and take in views Buen camino

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back