• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Highlights of Vdlp , How it compares to french way ?

Pablo Mac

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances SJPP to SDC Sept 2012
Camino Frances Astorga to SDC Sept 2014
Camino Del Norte Irun to Santander Sept 2015
Caminho Portugese Barcelos to SDC Sept 2016
Camino Del Norte Santander to SDC (2017)
Hey fellow caminantes ,

Ive decided to walk the Vdlp next Apr 2015 and was just wondering if anyone would like to share their highlights from from it ? Also , I walked the french way in 2012 and it was amazing , a big part of it was all the friendships that developed along the way . Im a little concerned that the Vdlp will be so quiet Ill miss out on that this time . How does the Vdlp compare to the French way as an overall experience ? Any thing else I should consider ? Thanks alot pellegrinos :)

Pablo

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hey fellow caminantes ,

Ive decided to walk the Vdlp next Apr 2015 and was just wondering if anyone would like to share their highlights from from it ? Also , I walked the french way in 2012 and it was amazing , a big part of it was all the friendships that developed along the way . Im a little concerned that the Vdlp will be so quiet Ill miss out on that this time . How does the Vdlp compare to the French way as an overall experience ? Any thing else I should consider ? Thanks alot pellegrinos :)

Pablo
I did the Francès in 2011, and the Primitivo in 2012. I thought nothing could top the first experience, but the VdlP last autumn (2013) was a thousand times better. I think I was very blessed in the people I met each time, but the VdlP ! - scenery, fabulous cities, food, wine, and albergues which were not crowded. Just the best, but shhh - don't tell anyone.

I've only done the VDLP (several times), so I can't compare it to the Frances. But a few highlights are Italica (Roman ruins), Merida (Roman ruins), Caparra arch and interpretive center, Caceres, Zamora, Ourense's hot springs and the scenery everywhere. It's never too crowded and the people in the cities and towns are quite friendly. Oh, and if you're going in April, the wildflowers in Extremadura should be phenomenal.

Melanie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hey fellow caminantes ,

Pablo
Hi Pablo, Although I walked the Vdlp in 2008, my blog (link below) may be of interest to you. I had previously walked the Frances in 2003 and found it a little busy for me. I absolutely loved the Vdlp and ended up living in Sevilla for 3 years following this. I’m planning to head back to my favourite camino in Sept/Oct this year. Buen Camino, Grace http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/30699/

I have been on the Via de la Plata but never on the Francés (yet). I spoke to several pilgrims who were a bit disappointed about the VdlP after having been on the Francés. They complained about lack of facilities mostly. That they couldn't get their morning coffee in a bar, that they had to carry food and water for a whole day, that the distances between villages were sometimes long, that the prices of the albergues were a few euros higher... I even met pilgrims who quit because of this.

My opinion? Loved the VdlP. Will be back this year. I think the Francés is too crowdy for me with too much commerce and tourism. Before the VdlP I had only walked on very quiet routes in Belgium and France, so for me it was an advantage that I only had to carry food for one day ;-)

I have walked Frances and VDLP. Then I walked a lot of VDLP a second time and also from Granada to Salamanca. My first was Frances and enjoyed it but did not know what to expect, ans some day might do it again. The VDLP is longer but feels less rushed, depends on what time of year you do it but there is generally enough people to give it an athmpohere. There is a quality about the VDLP that is hard to sum purely in words.

I walked part of it again a few weeks ago and made an effort to try and capture it in pictures if you want to have a look.

http://www.dermotdolan.blogspot.ie/2014/04/via-de-la-plata-2014-photographs-work.html

Regards Nalod

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It is a completely different world, truly. You need legs, and confidence in how you face long stages with no towns in between, stretches of 30 km where you see nobody and you do not find any place to get water or food - you just have to carry it with you.

In April, it could not be more beautiful, I just came back last week and am missing it terribly!!!

The VdlP was my first in April 2008 and I loved it. I have also walked the Frances and loved that too, though I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did because of the crowds. They are very different. Do both!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Angela very good luck to you, it will be fantastic. I remember your communications with me on the forum when I walked it earlier in the year.

Regards Nalod

I've only done the VDLP (several times), so I can't compare it to the Frances. But a few highlights are Italica (Roman ruins), Merida (Roman ruins), Caparra arch and interpretive center, Caceres, Zamora, Ourense's hot springs and the scenery everywhere. It's never too crowded and the people in the cities and towns are quite friendly. Oh, and if you're going in April, the wildflowers in Extremadura should be phenomenal.

Melanie

I walked the VdlP last year, April to May 2013, starting in Seville one wet morning. This year I walked part of the Frances, starting in Pamplona in March.

For many reasons I preferred the VdlP. But, you need to be able to walk longer stretches at times than on the Frances. The path is not always as well marked, nor are there as many bars or as much accommodation. But the countryside is fascinating, more older towns and the features Melanie described. So, I found it more interesting. The walkers are different: most have done at least one previous Camino, unlike the Frances where many during my walk this year were less experienced and, many were younger. All in all, VdlP for me.

Any comments on the Camino Levante?

Val

Hi Val,
The Levante\Sureste is very much like the Via del La Plata, but with a lot less infrastructure, less opportunities for food and water en route, accommodation can be harder to find, often you have to phone ahead to arrange for keys to albergues, a little Spanish I think is essential, look at Laurie's/Aquabillys blog/posts.
Just finished the Surest/Levant/Via section of my Camino and heading along the French way.
I would say that this route has been very challenging, but very rewarding and should be within the capability of a Via del La Plata veteran!
Regards
George

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks everyone for all the pointers , cant wait to get back !! Itsgoing to be epic :)

Just found this thread and I would agree with much that is written here. Having just returned from the Plata (Sevilla to Santiago) and also having walked the Frances 6 months earlier (SJPDP to Santiago) I found them similar in many ways and both very special. That said, in what matters to me, they are so very different with the Plata my preferred route. In no particular order;

- On the Plata there are of course many fewer peregrinos and very few with English as their native tongue. I met only 3. Most of the walkers are from Europe, typically either Germany or France with a salting of Italians and Spanish, at least that was my experience. I speak no German, a very small amount of French and I have developed what I think is called mechanical Spanish gained during 2 Caminos which allows me to get by ok. This forced me to adapt and to open myself to make an effort to communicate...a good thing:) For sure, sometimes finding acceptance with different nationalities took a bit of time, but once the connection was made it was usually brilliant.

- with fewer peregrinos and a longer journey the friendships were often made very quickly even with the language barrier...fewer to socialize with after walking so an effort is made to connect and include. Fewer people so you would know almost everyone at some level. Please don't misunderstand, I made some very good life connections on the Frances, and I will visit with four very special folks in Australia met during that journey this March. All of my amigos from the Frances provided me with ongoing encouragement and support as I walked the Plata...very, very special people. On the Plata, as there were so few to connect with, the connections were immediate and lasting. Even though I often walked away from some of the special people I met at various points messages continued to be passed back and forth through typical electronic means, but also via other walkers as we found our own rhythms and walking speeds.

- fewer peregrinos of course means the trail is wide open with many days of walking alone and perhaps not seeing another soul all day long. I was prepared for this and I enjoyed it immensely. Others did not...I met a number of folks who abandoned the route because they either felt uncomfortable alone (which is fair) or they found the stages too long to manage comfortably with insufficient infrastructure. For most, this was not an issue as they came mentally prepared having walked other Caminos before and of course most Europeans have these amazing guide books that tell them just about everything to expect.

- much more support and encouragement from the Spanish people on the Plata as they see many fewer peregrinos. I had old gentlemen walk across the road in small pueblos to shake my hand and wish me a buen Camino. I had farmers pull over to simply talk to me, to find out where I was headed and where I was from. Truckers were constantly honking supportive horns at me. Always a smile from people. I experienced this on the Frances, but not to the same extent, and certainly almost never in the last 150kms.

- the trail itself was often just a narrow path through the forests, fields, through farms and happily through masses of flowers. I enjoyed this so much having experienced this much less on the Frances.

- On the Plata there is no 'race for a bed' as I often had a bunk all to myself. I almost never worried about this...not the same on the Frances. New albergues are opening each year so often the facilities are fresher and less run down. I slept on some great mattresses:) I saw a few disappointing albergues, but always managed to find another option, or if it was a known issue I just planned my stage to be longer to end up where a good option existed.

- In the above comments, I don't think I saw any reference to Salamanca. I really enjoyed it! Long on my destination list...I doubt you will be disappointed and a good place to find a small hotel to get a break from the albergues if its in your budget to do so.

- Plata downside...lots of big nasty dogs! Particular;y in the first half. I learned to deal with them and never hit one in self-defense, but several instances were certainly unpleasant. This wouldn't stop me from walking the route again, but I'm better skilled to deal with them when attacked. A German fellow actually carried pepper spray.

- photography was great on both of routes, but I have fewer pictures of other people on the Plata during the walking portion of the day...almost none, but I expected this...I was looking for peace, serenity and a meditative walk when I selected the Plata. Given the minimal numbers I wasn't at all surprised.

Both Caminos are great, but after experiencing the Frances I was looking for something simpler, less cluttered and drier (12 days of rain with all the mud that goes with it on the Frances last fall!!). I had just a couple of hours of rain on the Plata, but the year before at the same time my pal had snow, so it can vary widely as of course can any route. Enough rambling, trying to share my experiences. Those walking this fall I wish you the very best for a special Camino...enjoy each day because you will miss it when you return home:)

Last edited:
Some very interesting comments.

I walked the Camino Frances in May this year and at the moment am torn between doing the VdlP or maybe the GR 11 La Senda. I've been looking at this blog and the scenery is breathtaking.

http://gr11blog.blogspot.co.uk/

My concern about La Senda is more about accommodation than the gradients, he seemed to do quite a lot of wild camping and I'm not keen to carry all the gear needed for camping.

If I decided on the VdlP presumably I would be better doing it earlier in the year because of the Southern start? Which is the recommended month?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just found this thread and I would agree with much that is written here. Having just returned from the Plata (Sevilla to Santiago) and also having walked the Frances 6 months earlier (SJPDP to Santiago) I found them similar in many ways and both very special. That said, in what matters to me, they are so very different with the Plata my preferred route. In no particular order;

- On the Plata there are of course many fewer peregrinos and very few with English as their native tongue. I met only 3. Most of the walkers are from Europe, typically either Germany or France with a salting of Italians and Spanish, at least that was my experience. I speak no German, a very small amount of French and I have developed what I think is called mechanical Spanish gained during 2 Caminos which allows me to get by ok. This forced me to adapt and to open myself to make an effort to communicate...a good thing:) For sure, sometimes finding acceptance with different nationalities took a bit of time, but once the connection was made it was usually brilliant.

- with fewer peregrinos and a longer journey the friendships were often made very quickly even with the language barrier...fewer to socialize with after walking so an effort is made to connect and include. Fewer people so you would know almost everyone at some level. Please don't misunderstand, I made some very good life connections on the Frances, and I will visit with four very special folks in Australia met during that journey this March. All of my amigos from the Frances provided me with ongoing encouragement and support as I walked the Plata...very, very special people. On the Plata, as there were so few to connect with, the connections were immediate and lasting. Even though I often walked away from some of the special people I met at various points messages continued to be passed back and forth through typical electronic means, but also via other walkers as we found our own rhythms and walking speeds.

- fewer peregrinos of course means the trail is wide open with many days of walking alone and perhaps not seeing another soul all day long. I was prepared for this and I enjoyed it immensely. Others did not...I met a number of folks who abandoned the route because they either felt uncomfortable alone (which is fair) or they found the stages too long to manage comfortably with insufficient infrastructure. For most, this was not an issue as they came mentally prepared having walked other Caminos before and of course most Europeans have these amazing guide books that tell them just about everything to expect.

- much more support and encouragement from the Spanish people on the Plata as they see many fewer peregrinos. I had old gentlemen walk across the road in small pueblos to shake my hand and wish me a buen Camino. I had farmers pull over to simply talk to me, to find out where I was headed and where I was from. Truckers were constantly honking supportive horns at me. Always a smile from people. I experienced this on the Frances, but not to the same extent, and certainly almost never in the last 150kms.

- the trail itself was often just a narrow path through the forests, fields, through farms and happily through masses of flowers. I enjoyed this so much having experienced this much less on the ...:)
great informative post. I'm heading to Seville this afternoon and will start my camino from the cathedral some time next week. I hope the dogs are a little more relaxed in the heat at the moment! Last time I did the VdlP I didn't have any probs but maybe this time will offer up all kinds of new experiences. I can't wait. Thanks again for the up to date info. Cheers grace

Grace, please be sure to post along the way, if possible.
I've walked as far as Caceres, where I gave up because the albergues were full of railroad workers.
But I'd love to finish, or at least walk to Salamanca or Zamora maybe this year.
I'd be interested in hearing how the lodging is past Caceres and which sections of RR have been completed.

Annie, I had no problems with rail workers taking beds and if you just take the construction areas as you find them and pass on through you will be fine...they are not that large generally speaking with respect to the journey you are on. I think that perhaps too much is being made of this issue, except perhaps for the area around Lubian...I just put on some music and la la la'd all the way through:) The nice lady at the bar in Lubian has seen it all before and simply gave me a nice cold beer to cheer me up...no charge! As I said in another post on this subject, it is what it is, and I just pulled my mind inwards and walked on. Everything else was brilliant! You will enjoy the continuation and completion of your journey.

€149,-
great informative post. I'm heading to Seville this afternoon and will start my camino from the cathedral some time next week. I hope the dogs are a little more relaxed in the heat at the moment! Last time I did the VdlP I didn't have any probs but maybe this time will offer up all kinds of new experiences. I can't wait. Thanks again for the up to date info. Cheers grace
Grace, if you go around to the back of the cathedral at the main entrance and show the guard your credential they will walk you through the long line of people waiting to get in and take you to an office where they will provide your sello...a very nice experience and they make you feel quite special as they open the line for you to pass through.

@High Endeavours, nice post, very recognizable! Only the part about the dogs... Since I have walked a lot in France I have become pretty scared of dogs, but didn't remember any problems with them on the VdlP!

Some very interesting comments.

I walked the Camino Frances in May this year and at the moment am torn between doing the VdlP or maybe the GR 11 La Senda. I've been looking at this blog and the scenery is breathtaking.

http://gr11blog.blogspot.co.uk/

My concern about La Senda is more about accommodation than the gradients, he seemed to do quite a lot of wild camping and I'm not keen to carry all the gear needed for camping.

If I decided on the VdlP presumably I would be better doing it earlier in the year because of the Southern start? Which is the recommended month?

Hi, houlet,
I think early May is a great time to start the Vdlp. Actually, any time after mid April is a good gamble. There will be a little burst of traffic beginning in Sevilla around Holy Week, but I never had any problem with beds. You are unlikely to get really hot temps then, and the risk of rain is a little less than if you start earlier. There will probably be a few little arroyos to pass, to give you some experience taking off your boots and wading through. When I started in Sevilla in the beginning of May, I wore my wool gloves in the morning for the first couple of weeks, so it can be pleasantly chilly. And the flowers, oh the flowers. I was actually surprised at how beautiful Andalucia and Extremadura are in springtime.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks Peregrina 2000 I had thought of April/May, to avoid the summer heat at the Seville end.

In May this year on the Frances 1.5 Centigrade was common in the morning according to the street thermometers. Of course living in Scotland I'm no stranger to chilly mornings.

Maybe mid April to avoid Easter & Holy Week, of course depending on the weather pattern next year.

I have walked Frances and VDLP. Then I walked a lot of VDLP a second time and also from Granada to Salamanca. My first was Frances and enjoyed it but did not know what to expect, ans some day might do it again. The VDLP is longer but feels less rushed, depends on what time of year you do it but there is generally enough people to give it an athmpohere. There is a quality about the VDLP that is hard to sum purely in words.

I walked part of it again a few weeks ago and made an effort to try and capture it in pictures if you want to have a look.

http://www.dermotdolan.blogspot.ie/2014/04/via-de-la-plata-2014-photographs-work.html

Regards Nalod
Nalod, I had a look at your photographs and enjoyed them very much. Thank you for sharing !!!

- the trail itself was often just a narrow path through the forests, fields, through farms and happily through masses of flowers. I enjoyed this so much having experienced this much less on the Frances.

- On the Plata there is no 'race for a bed' as I often had a bunk all to myself. I almost never worried about this...not the same on the Frances. New albergues are opening each year so often the facilities are fresher and less run down. I slept on some great mattresses:) I saw a few disappointing albergues, but always managed to find another option, or if it was a known issue I just planned my stage to be longer to end up where a good option existed.

- In the above comments, I don't think I saw any reference to Salamanca. I really enjoyed it! Long on my destination list...I doubt you will be disappointed and a good place to find a small hotel to get a break from the albergues if its in your budget to do so.

- Plata downside...lots of big nasty dogs! Particular;y in the first half. I learned to deal with them and never hit one in self-defense, but several instances were certainly unpleasant. This wouldn't stop me from walking the route again, but I'm better skilled to deal with them when attacked. A German fellow actually carried pepper spray.

- photography was great on both of routes, but I have fewer pictures of other people on the Plata during the walking portion of the day...almost none, but I expected this...I was looking for peace, serenity and a meditative walk when I selected the Plata. Given the minimal numbers I wasn't at all surprised.

Both Caminos are great, but after experiencing the Frances I was looking for something simpler, less cluttered and drier (12 days of rain with all the mud that goes with it on the Frances last fall!!). I had just a couple of hours of rain on the Plata, but the year before at the same time my pal had snow, so it can vary widely as of course can any route. Enough rambling, trying to share my experiences. Those walking this fall I wish you the very best for a special Camino...enjoy each day because you will miss it when you return home:)

Thanks for posting, great info that makes sense !

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the VĂ­a de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back