• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Highlights of Via de la Plata

HeyRobin

Time of past OR future Camino
2021 CF
2022 Madrid, Portuguese
2023 VDLP
I'll be walking the VdlP for the first time in a couple of weeks. Starting in Sevilla, hoping to make it to Cañaveral. Do you have any tips for me? Places to see, pilgrim's mass, albergues to stay in, history of the route... etc. I'd appreciate any comments you can leave! Robin

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Have you found a Camino app for the stretch ?

for instance this,

by Gerald Kelly, who is also found on FB in the group Camino de Santiago All Routes

Straight out of Sevilla, there is in Santiponce, a ruined Roman town called Italica, which is worth a stop, a mere 11 kms from town center....

Last edited:
Hi Robin

Good to see that you will also be on VDLP. Tips are aplenty on this forum.
As mentioned above, there are good guide books/apps which will provide all the answers you are looking for. For such a journey, there are no real short cuts in the planning stage, which is also a big part of the experience too. Skimp on this part, and you will surely miss out on the many wonders along the way and then wish you had spent more time doing so.
This link was very useful for our planning, still ongoing, and we will be starting in last week of April.

Enjoy the walk

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'll be walking the VdlP for the first time in a couple of weeks. Starting in Sevilla, hoping to make it to Cañaveral. Do you have any tips for me? Places to see, pilgrim's mass, albergues to stay in, history of the route... etc. I'd appreciate any comments you can leave! Robin
Be very careful on the stretch just south of Melida. Last week I was on my own and a dog came towards me and started being aggressive, unknown to me, another dog came from behind and grabbed my left thigh and took a chunk out of it. I needed hospital attention. I told the local police, basically they said the are aware of a dog problem in that area.

Be very careful on the stretch just south of Melida. Last week I was on my own and a dog came towards me and started being aggressive, unknown to me, another dog came from behind and grabbed my left thigh and took a chunk out of it. I needed hospital attention. I told the local police, basically they said the are aware of a dog problem in that area.
Thanks for the info, sorry to hear you were attacked by a dog. We will be on the look out for them. Was that near Merida or Melide?

Gosh that sounds awful! I hope you healed up quickly. I once walked through an area on the Madrid route where we had to walk through a group of cows with very large horns. I was freaking out because we were in the middle of nowhere and those cows weren't moving. It was fine but still I don't trust those animals. Now I'll be sure to watch out for dogs. I'm going to Merida not Melida. Is this the place you mean? Robin

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Thanks for the warning.
So between Torremejia and Merida?

I asked the same question last year and got heaps of replies. Comments on things of interest is further down the thread.

The only thing I missed was a hostel? with an original Roman hot spring / spa . Heard about it from some fellow pilgrims. The hot springs in Ourense made up for it.
Gerald’s guide is excellent - I’m pretty sure he mentioned it but I missed the reference.
Gronze also has a section on what to see in various towns. After I found this section of Gronze it was incredibly helpful.

I plan to start the de la Plata about April 14th. I have some books and maps; however, I'm not clear about all distances. 30 KM is an ideal day for me, I can go up to 40 KM in a pinch. I'm thinking 33 to 35 should be enough days. Does this seem reasonable? I'm planning a couple of days in Barcelona and then expect to start about April 16th .

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm thinking 33 to 35 should be enough days. Does this seem reasonable?
I usually average about 30km per day too on a longer Camino. I walked the VdlP in January/February 2022 and took 33 days. Given what you say about your own preferred distances your plan sounds ok but it would be too fast for most.

I plan to start the de la Plata about April 14th. I have some books and maps; however, I'm not clear about all distances. 30 KM is an ideal day for me, I can go up to 40 KM in a pinch. I'm thinking 33 to 35 should be enough days. Does this seem reasonable? I'm planning a couple of days in Barcelona and then expect to start about April 16th .

Sevilla to Santiago via Sanabres is 1007 Km so at 30 Km per day that’s 34 days walking. However if you can afford more time you might want to take it. There are some wonderful landscapes and historic towns along the way in which you might want to linger. Sevilla, Salamanca, Cásares, and Ourense to name a few.
I used Gronze and Camino Ninja which had a great interactive map. CN is not available at the moment but Wise Pilgrim seems to be the ‘go to’ app these days. Between those two you should have all the info you need.
There are some long stages between services particularly in the early weeks but it sounds like you will be fine to manage those distances.
I walked in October/November but there should be quite a few people on VDLP in April as spring is a favourite time to walk this Camino.
Wishing you well on my favourite Camino.
Buen Camino.

I'm thinking 33 to 35 should be enough days.
The other thing to consider is that sometimes you must choose between a very long day and a very short day, in order to find accommodation - you cannot walk 30 km every day. So, it can be important to allow a few extra days in case you need to choose the very short days for some unexpected reason - it could be that you have an injury, or an expected lodging is closed and the long option becomes TOO long.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The other thing to consider is that sometimes you must choose between a very long day and a very short day, in order to find accommodation - you cannot walk 30 km every day.
That's the main reason I carried and used a bivvy bag on both my VdlP walks. Sometimes the accommodation is just badly placed for what I considered a good day's walking. So I spent half a dozen nights in a bivvy bag when the weather was cooperative and slept very well too!

Thanks for the information. At this time I expect to arrive in Seville on Sunday April 16 and start walking on the Monday or Tuesday. If anyone has any thoughts on where to stay that would be helpful.

Thanks for the information. At this time I expect to arrive in Seville on Sunday April 16 and start walking on the Monday or Tuesday. If anyone has any thoughts on where to stay that would be helpful.
I've stayed at La Flamenka Hostel. It was good, close to 'old town' and start of the Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We have tried to finish the VDLP several times and it seems something always happens. Last time it was COVID. We started in 2009 and in 2020 we were still trying to finish.
In Sevilla we enjoyed staying in Hotel Zaida.
For us, a separate day to Italica was worth taking if you like history and archaeology.
We slept outside at Castiblanco, on the roof and again slept outside on the patio at Casa Forestal.
Be SURE to take enough water before walking through that section.
Rebekah had warned us - we didn't listen and were rescued by firemen who brought us water!

In 2013 I walked in May and the wildflowers were spectacular!
Be sure to spend some time in the thermal baths at Aljucin. Special rates for pilgrims.
Merida was spectacular and worth 2 days. Theater and Ampitheater, Roman Circus, Alcazaba, Mithraeum House, Columbaria Archaeological Museum and don't miss the Santa Eulalia Crypt. All are worth seeing.
2 different years there we have slept in Hostal Abadias, though the albergue is nice and on the waterfront.
The Albergue del Peregrinos at Alcuescar is lovely.
At Caceres I like Albergue Veltetas. I believe I ran into Luka there one year.
I can't help you past Caceres, as I just can't seem to make it past there.
Maybe next season you can give ME some hints for the rest of the route!
Buen Camino!

If you go to my blog and do a search on VDLP or Via de la Plata, you can see some photos of the trails and albergues.
Sevilla to Fuente de Cantos
Zafra to Caceres

Last edited:
We also stayed in Hotel Zaida in Sevilla. It was beautiful.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back