• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hike Similar to First Day of Camino Frances

HJD

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan (2018)
I'm working to get in shape for my first Camino. I live in flatland (New Orleans). Can someone suggest a one or two-day hike somewhere in the US that would be similar in difficulty to the first day of the Camino from SJPdP?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We live in coastal Virginia and even using the Blue Ridge mountains as practice the thin air of the Pyrenees is always a challenge that first day but you will be fine. Listen to your body.

It is not as climbing a mountain. I think that getting fit, in general terms, will do it.
You will see persons of every age and physical condition doing it succesfully.
I recommend that you practice with your backpack. It makes a lot of difference, and you need to be used to it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There's a hike not far from where I live with a similar elevation gain as the Pyrenees. I have never done it, and mentioned to my husband last year before I went on the Camino that perhaps I should try it to see if I was fit enough. His response was would I cancel my trip if I tried it and it didn't go well? Of course I wouldn't! So I skipped it. The last thing that I needed was to somehow injure myself on that hike before the Camino.
If you don't have hills to train on where you live you should walk stairs, bleachers, etc.

A lot of the uphill from SJdPP is on a road. It is long and you need to be prepared for the weather (assuming this route is not closed). If you stay the first night at Orisson, the walk to Roncevaux is shortened by about 7km.

The hike closest to you that I have hiked and would recommend is Mount LeConte not too far from Knoxville. It is a day hike with very beautiful views. Here's a link:
http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/lecontealum.htm

Buen Camino!

Tom

I'm working to get in shape for my first Camino. I live in flatland (New Orleans). Can someone suggest a one or two-day hike somewhere in the US that would be similar in difficulty to the first day of the Camino from SJPdP?
Thanks all. tom, the walk up Mt. Lecont seems like a very good
Thanks all. tom, the Mt. Leconte trail looks like a dood choice. Thanks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You'll huff and puff. Doesn't mean you have to quit that day. Because the next day you will still huff and puff, and will have nowhere to quit to. Set yourself short goals: to that turn in the road, to that tree, to that cow. It's also not as if you will turn into a pumpkin if you don't get to Roncessvalles within 6 hours.

When I walked it, there was a terminally ill cancer patient walking as well. If she had it in herto do it, surely just about anyone else does. It's a mid set; do it at your own rythm. Or go the Valcarlos route.

A lot of the uphill from SJdPP is on a road. It is long and you need to be prepared for the weather (assuming this route is not closed). If you stay the first night at Orisson, the walk to Roncevaux is shortened by about 7km.

The hike closest to you that I have hiked and would recommend is Mount LeConte not too far from Knoxville. It is a day hike with very beautiful views. Here's a link:
http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/lecontealum.htm

Buen Camino!

Tom
I love the hike up Mount LeConte. Once was charged by a bear at the top. My husband shouted at it and waved a stick and it ran away. An exciting memory.

@HJD The southern terminus of the AT is in Springer Mountain, GA. Google maps says it's about 9 hour drive from New Orleans. I have thought about doing a section sometime in August before my camino. But @trecile makes a good point on the practicality or potential disadvantage of over training.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Mount LeConte is cool, but reservations usually need to made far in advance. You may also want to check if it is open since the fire last year. I think I read that there were several trails that were closed ... Chimney Tops comes to mind.

We are from New Orleans too. The best you can get here is the levee. We did some training in the blue ridge mountains of Virginia (where my mom lived at the time). That was very similar to Galicia and other mountains on the Camino, but still not a good test for day 1 out of st jean. Because thats so consistently up (not up and down)

Most read last week in this forum

I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.