• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking and Gore-Tex

twigsandribbons

Hello--

I did a little searching in the forum for this already, but I wanted to write a quick post to get more specific answers. I'll be hiking my first Camino beginning mid-June, and out of all the shoes I've tried on, my absolute favorite was a mid-boot with Gore-Tex. In the forum's opinion, is that going to be way too hot/impractical for the time of year I'm going? This may seem like a stupid question but I can see that minds are divided on the matter of Gore-Tex and this will be my first pair of hiking boots.

If it matters, the boots I love are the Keen Targhees, with come only with Keen-Dry, the brand's equivalent of Gore-Tex. There's another model, the Keen Voyageur, which is supposed to be a Targhee without Gore-Tex but is just a very different fit and very uncomfortable to me. Should I abandon the Targhee and search for a different boot entirely that doesn't have Gore-Tex? I loved everything about it otherwise.

Thank you,

Lindsay

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I love Keens, but I have to say that the Keen Targhee was much hotter and sweatier than any genuine gore-tex boot I ever used. Thee seams blew out in them pretty fast too. I'd find something different.

I wore Keen Targhees when I walked in 2008. I did find them a bit warm, but as a person with wide (EE) feet they were great. Keen does wide well while I find most other manufacturers don't do it as well. Note though, I used a pair that were about 2-weeks old before I started the Camino, just enough time to break them in, and they were still holding up in Santiago (although the sole was much eroded).

As for the warmth of them, don't' forget yo stop every 45-60 minutes for a five minute sit down and take off you shoes and socks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My hand is up for Keen Targhees, as I've posted before.

Goretex may keep you slightly dryer than other boots, but when you're slogging through water and mud for 6 hours, your feet will be damp or wet no matter what you have on your feet. Period. The heat factor varies from brand to brand, but goretex is notoriously hot. And....you can't predict how hot or wet your camino will be.

Honestly, after all our discussions about boots and shoes, I think it's likely interesting to read about others' preferences and experiences, but the most helpful and productive course of action is to try on a whole bunch of boots and shoes (with expert help and advice at an outdoor gear store) and then buy the one that feels best on your foot.

Happy, happy feet and buen camino!

lynne

lanval said:
I wore Keen Targhees when I walked in 2008. I did find them a bit warm, but as a person with wide (EE) feet they were great. Keen does wide well while I find most other manufacturers don't do it as well..

The width is why I like Keens, and I found the Targhee to be narrower than the average Keen. The side seams blew because they were too narrow.

The Keen PCT seems pretty good.

My vote is to leave the boots at home for hiking. The Camino is more of a walk... buy some lightweight trail shoes and a pair of Tevas for nights.... and make your feet happier.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
There are rugged stretches on the trail, so if the boots are comfortable, you will be glad you took them (though I did meet one couple hiking barefoot).

Goretex may keep you slightly dryer than other boots, but when you're slogging through water and mud for 6 hours, your feet will be damp or wet no matter what you have on your feet. Period. The heat factor varies from brand to brand, but goretex is notoriously hot. And....you can't predict how hot or wet your camino will be.

Haha, so true. Same goes for most rain jackets. Try walking into thick snow at O'Cebreiro and then coming down towards Triacastela to find thatthe camino has just been turned into a river... with 15cm of water gushing down. Or a puddle sobig that it takes up the whole path, and there really is no way around it because everything is absolutely saturated! No boot is going to keep your feet dry in that sort of water.

Well maybe I am just lucky but in all my winter walks including up and down O Cebreiro in snow to my knees my mid ankle goretex lined shoes and gaiters have kept my feet absolutely dry. Wet feet and clothes are dangerous in winter walks and are to be avoided. In my experience getting wet isn't inevitable and a good wind and rain proof outer shell such as that by Patagonia and goretex lined shoes/boots do the job perfectly for me.

Attachments

• I'm walking in the rain1.jpg
    I'm walking in the rain1.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 2,284
  • I'm walking in the rain.JPG
    I'm walking in the rain.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 2,291
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
JohnnieWalker said:
but my feet were dry! :)

There are quite a variety of gaiters about. I have winter ones which go up to the knee and are fantastically warm. Walking the Ridgeway last week, I was annoyed I had forgotten my light summer pair (which cover the top of the boot) when it rained and my feet got wet,

Andy

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
JohnnieWalker said:
but my feet were dry! :)
We had 'puddles' like that near Tineo, and our feet were dry too. (Hi-Tec leather waterproofed boots with Gore-tex liners) We didn't stop to take a photo, too busy sticking to the bank side :? although we did take one near a smaller patch of mud and water.
Tio Tel and Tia Valeria

Attachments

• mud.jpg
    mud.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 2,168
re: Johnnie Walker´s eternally dry feet:

Of course your feet stay dry, man. You know how to walk on water, and the rest of us don´t!

Reb
knee-deep in it

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.