• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Hiking at Night?

Dogbreath

Douglas Johnson, Indiana, USA
Time of past OR future Camino
When I'm on the Camino Frances Sept/Oct, I think I might be inclined to do some night hiking. Comments?

Rather than hiking from evening until after midnight, then camping out or trying to find an albergue still open (private?), my thinking is that I'll crash shortly after a communal dinner (assuming the noise of my fellow Pilgrims prior to 10 PM is not too overwhelming), will awaken about 3 AM with the 'help' of the mega-snorers nearby, and get a few hours walking before a breakfast stop. Benefits are solitude and cool weather, suits my psyche. Go a few more hours, lunch, nap, and a few more km's to the next albergue. Meet (re-meet) fellow Pilgrims, unwind with another good meal, and the cycle begins again. Sounds good, but . . . .

Thanks to all for useful advice on a multitude of topics, over the past two weeks since I began scouring the site! We plan and God laughs!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Walking in the dark has three disadvantages. 1. You don't see anything. 2. It's easy to get lost by missing those yellow arrows. 3. I trip over things.

Lastly, getting up at 3am may not be a disadvantage to you but it sure as heck will annoy your sleeping companions.

When I'm on the Camino Frances Sept/Oct, I think I might be inclined to do some night hiking. Comments?

Rather than hiking from evening until after midnight, then camping out or trying to find an albergue still open (private?), my thinking is that I'll crash shortly after a communal dinner (assuming the noise of my fellow Pilgrims prior to 10 PM is not too overwhelming), will awaken about 3 AM with the 'help' of the mega-snorers nearby, and get a few hours walking before a breakfast stop. Benefits are solitude and cool weather, suits my psyche. Go a few more hours, lunch, nap, and a few more km's to the next albergue. Meet (re-meet) fellow Pilgrims, unwind with another good meal, and the cycle begins again. Sounds good, but . . . .

Thanks to all for useful advice on a multitude of topics, over the past two weeks since I began scouring the site! We plan and God laughs!

I did that 3 am start time, reluctantly on a day that I was needing to do a 48 km day. I hated it.

My backpack was all packed and ready to go before I went to bed. That way when I crawled quietly out of bed at 0300 am, I would minimize any noise or disturbance as I left. I carried everything, including my shoes to the common area before I adjusted or put on anything. I used no light which might have bothered someone else.

Outside, it was difficult to find arrows or markers. I had scoped out the way out of the village the evening before, so that kept me on track, otherwise I would have had a bit of a time finding the way.

I used a lightweight led headlamp that I use when backpacking. It put out sufficient light for the immediate pathway. What I missed was seeing what the countryside was like; I couldn't see any scenery.

Dogs. . . farm dogs. . . anytime I heard barking, I worried that one of the dogs that will patrol around a farm or home would see me as a threat and come after me. That was due to the dark and my limited sight lines. It was impossible to see to the distance and know nothing was coming toward me. Imagination did the rest. :)

Like backpacking back home, I kept extra vigilant on where I was walking. I didn't want to trip or twist an ankle or fall. It takes a lot more energy focusing on that aspect of walking at dark.

Stopping for breakfast. Walked through several villages with bars by 0630, but no breakfast tortilla de patas. 😞 . Of course I had stuff to eat with me, but I like breaking for breakfast.

In late September, it was also cool out. No biggie. But I knew ahead of time that after 15 minutes, I would be shedding my wind jacket as an extra bit of insulation. That meant stopping, taking off my pack, putting the jacket away, putting my pack back on. Again, no biggie. Until I discovered that I had nearly set my pack down into a big cow patty that I missed seeing :).

Nope, for me, I really do not like walking Camino in prolonged darkness. The whole time I kept looking at my watch and wishing the time for nautical dawn would hurry up and come. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We got up mostly at 4:30 and started walking by 5am. Doing this meant we missed the heat of the day which was the purpose but we did get lost twice by missing the markers. One time 15km in the wrong direction. However we also found other pilgrims who were doing the same and together we had some very enjoyable darkish walks with head torches and the ever desperate need for the first coffee. But the end of walk beer and wine of the day was wonderful. Just see how you go. But remember your other sleeping pilgrims. We had everything packed and just needed to get up, pick up our bag and put shoes on outside, eat a little something and go. The less noise the better. Have fun. Bon Caminho

7C534AE8-C720-4EF0-B00F-562700ABE1C4.jpegDuring September and October 2017 I left several Albergue at @ 7:00am and it was still dark due to time of year (Albergue wants you out by 8:00). I did not enjoy walking in dark as I would miss things I wanted to see and photograph. I could not wait for the sun to come up so I could see where I was going.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The one time I would like to hike during the night, but not on my own, is on the Meseta with a full moon.
There are some threads with pictures of a wide area and a flat, winding road that almost lights up, can't find them now, but that is my dream of a night walk.

star-plucker-smiley.gif

I walk at night often on the Meseta in summer. Never needed a head torch and it is hard to get lost there. It may be boiling hot during the day but it is freezing at night! It is also very beautiful. Recommended! I always plan to arrive wherever I am going for breakfast, then kip for a few hours under a tree somewhere. Also, in some of the villages the local bar is open until late (2-3 am), handy for a break, though they are utterly amazed when a pilgrim walks in at that time!

Davey

My experience of walking during the night came about because 'somebody" decided it would be a beautiful night - full moon - and all that good stuff! Well, off we went - about 5 of us from all over the world - tripping over every tree root that crossed our paths. Never could see the beautiful, full moon as we were in the woods so the trees kept it out. When the sun came up most of the group decided to get a room and go back to sleep but I was awake and kept walking until I found breakfast. Later during the day we all met up again and admonished the "bright" gentleman who came up with the idea! And, I think only 2 of the 5 had headlamps!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For those that fancy trying a night walk here is one of my faves.

I arrive in Castrojeriz early, book into the muni, shower and get some sleep. Set my alarm for 9pm ish. Leave the albergue an hour before sunset so you reach the top of the Alto Mostelares for a stunning sunset. You can't get lost on this route, and it is truly beautiful on a clear night following the Milky Way. There is a late night bar in Itero de la Vega (closes 2- 2.30am) for a snack or drink. I then breakfast in Fromista but carry on to the stunning albergue Escuala in Poblacion where I spend the day sleeping in a hammock in their beautiful garden.

Sometimes I stay at San Anton and spend the day in Castrojeriz before walking this.

Another good one is that 16km of nothing after Carrion de los Condes to either Ledigos or Terradillos. But no late bars on this route. Good if the days are really hot.

Davey

Last edited:
I will echo what others have said about the downsides of night walking, although I will add that while I’m not much of a “morning person” in my daily life, sunrise was my favorite time on the Camino. I loved watching the sun come up while walking, seeing the day come alive in all its radiance.

This is all good info! And within 24 hours! You guys are amazing'! Keep the comments coming. I'm going to see what other threads have useful info for a newbie.

It is currently snowing at home as I type. I'm really, really looking forward to six+ months when I can stretch my legs big time on the CF!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
For those that fancy trying a night walk here is one of my faves.

I arrive in Castrojeriz early, book into the muni, shower and get some sleep. Set my alarm for 9pm ish. Leave the albergue an hour before sunset so you reach the top of the Alto Mostelares for a stunning sunset. You can't get lost on this route, and it is truly beautiful on a clear night following the Milky Way. There is a late night bar in Itero de la Vega (closes 2- 2.30am) for a snack or drink. I then breakfast in Fromista but carry on to the stunning albergue Escuala in Poblacion where I spend the day sleeping in a hammock in their beautiful garden.

Sometimes I stay at San Anton and spend the day in Castrojeriz before walking this.

Another good one is that 16km of nothing after Carrionde los Condes to either Ledigos or Terradillos. But no late bars on this route. Good if the days are really hot.

Davey
You have some very interesting and unique memories of your Caminos, Davey...and that's what it's all about!

Please post your detailed itinerary here on the forum. Since I will be walking this year, I will do all in my power to avoid a pilgrim (you) getting up and make noise beside me at 3.00 AM,

Walking in the dark has three disadvantages. 1. You don't see anything. 2. It's easy to get lost by missing those yellow arrows. 3. I trip over things.

Lastly, getting up at 3am may not be a disadvantage to you but it sure as heck will annoy your sleeping companions.
Correct. And it will happen... You will not be popular in the albergues, to say the least. But if you stay in hostels etc., noone will bother.

But of course, you may see this at night (Alto del Mostelares, after Castrojeriz) ;):

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I just ordered my flight to Madrid, going to Burgos by train, 30 minutes ago, after reading your post. Will be walking in April/May/June. Will not meet you. A higher power exists, thank you... ;)🆒

Last edited:
I met a man in Carrion who couldnt sleep in Fromista so he started walking 3 hours later he was met by local police who informed him he was going the wrong direction. They took pity on his sorry a** and gave him a ride back to Fromista. No more night walking for him😂

It may not be apparent at first, but even Spaniards acknowledge that they may be in the wrong time zone - i.e. the sun probably rises later and sets later than where you live. An early start as you proposed may give you 4-5 hours of walking in the cold & dark.

As a cyclist, I waited until sunrise (8:00-8:15) before departing, and nearly every walker was gone, often by 1-2 hours. I’ve heard of walkers who walk into the early evening and have plenty of trail solitude because most of us finished by mid-afternoon.

Plenty of possibilities abound for trying different start times. My favorite early start times, even on a bike, were traversing some of the larger cities - Pamplona, Burgos, Leon when they were quiet and peaceful.

Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Do it! My routine was straight forward. I got around 3:30 a.m. most mornings and enjoyed the stary skies and early morning sunrise. The solitude was perfect and no hassles fighting the bathroom scene and morning pilgrim breakfasts - - plus I was able to get a few miles under my belt ahead of the crowds. Consequently, I was able to reach my destination by early afternoon, in time to find a bed and do laundry, again, without the rush or hastles. All in all, go with your ideas, you won't be disappointed.

Being very silent getting out of bed so as not to disturb the others is he first step. Walking for a couple of hours before dawn in the moonlight is quite euphoric. Not with a light though as that really isolates you from being able to see the surrounds. Walking in the forest is too dark with the risk of at least a sprained ankle. Then the joy of feeling everything beginning to wake up, rosters crowing, dogs barking, cows mooing and all that it the cool of the morning. As for getting lost because of missed arrows in you use the 'Smart Pilgrim' App that will keep you right on track. A couple of hours before dawn seems about right for me. Being moonlight one can still see the countryside. Here the moon is setting across the harvested cornfields.

Last edited:
I happily restricted my night walking to a start 90 to 60 minutes before sunrise and only then when the forecast was for particularly high afternoon temperatures. I was blessed with full moon in the western sky to guide me. Little need for a headlight. Respect for sleepers was paramount from the moment I swung my feet down from my bunk...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This is a decision that shouldn’t be made without evaluating the all the implications of walking after dusk into the morning.

I, too, have left at 4:00 am when confronted by an exceptional long day. IMHO, if done quietly, leaving early is an intelligent strategy. I also knew other pilgrims, farmers, workers, students and comuters would out and about within a couple of hours, so if I suffered a significant injury crossing a stream, scrambling up/down a graveled trail or made a poor decision; I would have daylight and locals/pilgrims crossing my path be able to respond. I believe we all have benefited from this under appreciated support network. Who knows, Camino Angels may only work in daylight.😇🤔

Why risk walking after dusk when you walk truly alone.

I too had some pre dawn starts mostly to avoid the heat of 35 degree days. And a bit for solitude.
As others have said
1) You’re walking a country that you came to visit and you can’t see it!

2) The yellow arrows are VERY hard to see in the light. Most head lamps don't project strongly enough to pick up the arrows and the poor contrast of yellow in that light is a bear. I had several intersections pauses trying to figure out which way to go

3) I did have a fall - thank god into a guard rail on my right beside the road instead of into the road and not down the embankment to my left it was a rocky steep side running beside and just below the asphalt

4) I had some fears going through wooded areas a single woman
Not sure I would do it again

I walked a lot of pre-dawn mornings on the VdlP, not deliberately, but because sunup was late and I was awake and up long before the sun during my October/November walk. There was never a crowd in the albergue, so I did not have to worry about bothering anyone else. I was able to redirect one couple, who were looking for the route out of town quite confusedly one early morning. And I have a lot of spectacular photos of sunrises.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked plenty of mornings in the dark (CF in october), starting 1-2 hours before sunrise and I absolutely loved it. Walking in moonlight and everything seems different, and when the light finally arrieve the scenary has changed just a bit from Yesterday. Plus the hours surrounding sunrise are the most beautiful hours of the day.

One day I started between 4-5 in the morning, and I honestly felt that that was too much walking in the Dark, so I wouldn’t recommend doing that everyday (depending on the season). As everyone is saying, you don’t see the sights and landscape as well when walking by it in the Dark - even if it is beautiful in the moonlight. I enjoyed the change of just 1 hour walking in the Dark would make, however, you dont really want to miss the whole way on your first trip.

So my recommendation would be, to get up early (predawn) and enjoy the silence and sunrise, and then just continue walking in your pace for the rest of the day. Walking in the afternoon (if it is not too hot) is also recommend as there you’ll find plenty of solitude.

The biggest disadvantage of hiking (or walking the Camino) at night is that you cannot see anything.
:D

On the contrary, on a clear night with a full - or nearly full - moon, walking at night is a wonderful experience. Look up and see the stars and planets. The light from the moon will render the need for a torch unnecessary - you will be able to see the countryside bathed in beautiful moonlight without any difficulty.

On the contrary, on a clear night with a full - or nearly full - moon, walking at night is a wonderful experience. Look up and see the stars and planets. The light from the moon will render the need for a torch unnecessary - you will be able to see the countryside bathed in beautiful moonlight without any difficulty.
This thread has made me add being aware of the moon's phase to my planning. I first read Lord of the Rings by moonlight in the middle of the ocean while doing night watches on a yacht. I find it a magical time.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Yes, I'm a wee bit familiar with mucking about at night when I was in the army. Many a moonlight patrol exercise, and many on a moonless night. Also when I was young my brother and I would sneak out when the moon was at its highest and wander about the woods and fields without aid of a torch. That was fun.
I would say that a lot of pilgrims would best suited not to, though. There are many sections of the Camino that one could easily injure oneself badly stepping into a hole or depression on the route, and also the loose rocked downhill sections.

I did it once with a friend. We had some kms road walking ahead and @Davey Boyd got us enthousiastic so we thought we'd give it a try. We got up at 3 am and as soon as we got outside I remembered I'm very much afraid of the dark! All those dogs howling and creepy corners and shadows.. I was very happy when the sun finally came out! It's a great memory though, happy we did it but I probably won't do it again ;)

When we were walking in July and August (especially August), we often started early in the pre-dawn dark in order to avoid as much as possible hiking in the heat of the day. That was really only an hour or two before it started to get light, though. I do remember some beautiful night skies (when there is less moon, there are more stars). On the Camino you are often far from the light pollution that cities put out and you can really see the differene in the night sky. The last time I had seen skies like that was in the middle of the Sahara. On the other hand, I also remember the challenging hike down towards Molinaseca in the dark - not something I would recommend.

If you want to see some night hiking on the Camino, there is a series of Camino vlogs by a family that did the Camino last year. Do a YouTube search for "Worldtowning". One night, during a full moon, they did a night hike. There isn't too much footage of it, because the dark doesn't make for great filming, but you can see something of it and the aftermath. It is episode 89 shows a night hike from El Burgo Ranero Mansanilla de las Mulas on the meseta.

Last edited:
I always like to add a story I heard from 2 German pilgrims in Sahagun one night at dinner. They asked me if I knew about the pilgrims who only walk at night. I said "you mean like Zombies?" No, they said, there is a cult of night time pilgrims and when the get to Santiago they receive a Compostela that is entirely "black."
Okay, so I feel for their joke.
The final day of my first walk from Porto I started off way too early from Teo. I don't know if there was a full moon or it was just the city lights from Santiago but right after I left Teo I was in total darkness in a small forest. Fortunately the path was paved or semi-paved and I only tripped over a minimal number of roots and got tossed of the path once or twice. There were lots of noises and lots of nocturnal animals. When I got to Milladoiro and nothing was open, I finally realized my timing was way off. There is nothing like arriving on foot in Santiago before 10am, not!

When we were walking in July and August (especially August), we often started early in the pre-dawn dark in order to avoid as much as possible hiking in the heat of the day. That was really only an hour or two before it started to get light, though. I do remember some beautiful night skies (when there is less moon, there are more stars). On the Camino you are often far from the light pollution that cities put out and you can really see the differene in the night sky. The last time I had seen skies like that was in the middle of the Sahara. On the other hand, I also remember the challenging hike down towards Molinaseca in the dark - not something I would recommend.

If you want to see some night hiking on the Camino, there is a series of Camino vlogs by a family that did the Camino last year. Do a YouTube search for "Worldtowning". Episode 88 shows a night hike from Ledigos to El Burgo Ranero on the meseta.

The episode is aptly called 'the kids are scared'. Based on an abundance of cobwebs.
The next episode is a night walk from el Burgo Ranero to Mansilla de las Mulas, arrival at breakfast time.
That would have been a full moon walk? or maybe I misunderstood ~ only a few shots of the moon in the video.

I did it once with a friend. We had some kms road walking ahead and @Davey Boyd got us enthousiastic so we thought we'd give it a try. We got up at 3 am and as soon as we got outside I remembered I'm very much afraid of the dark! All those dogs howling and creepy corners and shadows.. I was very happy when the sun finally came out! It's a great memory though, happy we did it but I probably won't do it again ;)

I remember you telling me when I met you in Carrion, (I was about to night walk then too). You should of told me I would of come with you! Hope you well x

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, I'm a wee bit familiar with mucking about at night when I was in the army. Many a moonlight patrol exercise, and many on a moonless night. Also when I was young my brother and I would sneak out when the moon was at its highest and wander about the woods and fields without aid of a torch. That was fun.
I would say that a lot of pilgrims would best suited not to, though. There are many sections of the Camino that one could easily injure oneself badly stepping into a hole or depression on the route, and also the loose rocked downhill sections.

That is why the Meseta is ideal. With moonlight you can't get lost, never need a torch and is safe walking (nothing to fall over or into)! Ideal in Summer when it is very hot, though remember that the Meseta is almost like a desert : very hot days and freezing at night! The stars are magnificent and you follow the milky way. Lots of mice running across the track all the time, they get about quite a lot at night (took me a while to figure out what they were at first).

I would not recommend night walking in close or rugged terrain though.

Davey

Last edited:
The episode is aptly called 'the kids are scared'. Based on an abundance of cobwebs.
The next episode is a night walk from el Burgo Ranero to Mansilla de las Mulas, arrival at breakfast time.
That would have been a full moon walk? or maybe I misunderstood ~ only a few shots of the moon in the video.

Thanks! I did a google search on my phone in a spot where I couldn't watch thee actual video and got it wrong. I've edited my post to make it more accurate.

Thanks! I did a google search on my phone in a spot where I couldn't watch thee actual video and got it wrong. I've edited my post to make it more accurate.

You were right too. The family walk by night in both episodes and when you feel the cobwebs, you are the first on the trail. Btw I might reconsider my night walk.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I always like to add a story I heard from 2 German pilgrims in Sahagun one night at dinner. They asked me if I knew about the pilgrims who only walk at night. I said "you mean like Zombies?" No, they said, there is a cult of night time pilgrims and when the get to Santiago they receive a Compostela that is entirely "black."
Okay, so I feel for their joke.
The final day of my first walk from Porto I started off way too early from Teo. I don't know if there was a full moon or it was just the city lights from Santiago but right after I left Teo I was in total darkness in a small forest. Fortunately the path was paved or semi-paved and I only tripped over a minimal number of roots and got tossed of the path once or twice. There were lots of noises and lots of nocturnal animals. When I got to Milladoiro and nothing was open, I finally realized my timing was way off. There is nothing like arriving on foot in Santiago before 10am, not!

I actually meet a pilgrim on CF who only travelled at night. He was on a bike and felt it was the best time for him to ride on a empty trail, so there was nobody to tell him to slow down. Although he didn’t joke about recieving a Black compostela.

That is why the Meseta is ideal. With moonlight you can't get lost, never need a torch and is safe walking (nothing to fall over or into)! Ideal in Summer when it is very hot, though remember that the Meseta is almost like a desert : very hot days and freezing at night! The stars are magnificent and you follow the milky way. Lots of mice running across the track all the time, they get about quite a lot at night (took me a while to figure out what they were at first).

I would not recommend night walking in close or rugged terrain though.

Davey
The section between Fromista and Carrion. Probably walked the first two hours in darkness. Did not plan to, but the entire albergue it seems awoke early to start off in the August warmth. Avoid a bit of the sun. No way was I going to fall back asleep so I caved in with the crowd and off I went. Quite a bright moon and easy walk with almost no need for a torch. I remember stopping and looking back at one point, and seeing a row of bobbing headlamps in the distance, ahead and behind. Like little cars. Ended up reaching Carrion quite early. Dropped my pack in the queue and laid on the grass and relaxed waiting for the sisters to open the albergue.

View attachment 52711During September and October 2017 I left several Albergue at @ 7:00am and it was still dark due to time of year (Albergue wants you out by 8:00). I did not enjoy walking in dark as I would miss things I wanted to see and photograph. I could not wait for the sun to come up so I could see where I was going.
We all saw you coming big boy! :p:p😂🤣:D:p

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I did it. Left 2030hrs. stopped at rest area near golf course (be4 ghost town) 0400. Slept 3hrs. Pushed on. Magnificent evening.

Just do it, if your body and mind are up for it. Wear an LED headlamp if the moon is not bright.

At 4:15am on my Day 4 of the CF, I just couldn't sleep anymore so I got out of bed, packed my bag outside the room and started walking from Cizur Menor (just west of Pamplona). It was great. Cool, crisp and clear and I was walking away from the Pamplona city lights. At 6:45am, I reached the top of the hill at Alto del Perdon (the steel pilgrim statues) with the sun rising behind me over Pamplona and I was the only person there. Priceless.

Walking in the dark anywhere between Cizur Menor and the end of the Meseta should be fairly easy since it is relatively flat and lots of open field walking (about 7-10 days I think). Have fun.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I LOVED leaving early in the morning!! 3-4 am starts!! I love the peace and quiet of the night. Hiking early morning under the stars are some of my favorite memories from the CF. I only got lost once, early on and that taught me to be super aware of watching for trail markers and backtracking if I wasn’t sure if I missed an arrow. You have to be aware also that some alburgue lock the doors and you can’t sneak out!

Walking at night can be a great experience. However, recommend walking under a bright moon.

Being very silent getting out of bed so as not to disturb the others is he first step. Walking for a couple of hours before dawn in the moonlight is quite euphoric. Not with a light though as that really isolates you from being able to see the surrounds. Walking in the forest is too dark with the risk of at least a sprained ankle. Then the joy of feeling everything beginning to wake up, rosters crowing, dogs barking, cows mooing and all that it the cool of the morning. As for getting lost because of missed arrows in you use the 'Smart Pilgrim' App that will keep you right on track. A couple of hours before dawn seems about right for me. Being moonlight one can still see the countryside. Here the moon is setting across the harvested cornfields.
View attachment 52781
Would you please put a picture of the Smart Pilgrim app you are talking about? I cannot find it. Thank you kindly!

We are earlybirds and slow walkers so we usually leave an hour before my many depart the establishments...but it depends also, as others have indicated, on the weather forecast and the distance we plan on covering. One April, a few years ago, Sarria to SdC was quite warm. We left around 5am and had several hours of cool weather and we were done by 11:30am! When we left in the early morning we also had to deal with thick fog which did not burn off until after sunrise! If anyone does this, make sure you are wearing some reflective materials or items that will alert, bikes, cars and other walkers. Of course, a good a headlamp with sufficient lumens to see ahead and holes is needed.

Would you please put a picture of the Smart Pilgrim app you are talking about? I cannot find it. Thank you kindly!
I think they meant "Wise Pilgrim", which one of the apps that will show a map with the Camino marked on it and your current location. It is helpful for spotting when you are off the Camino and how to get back on it. You can check it when you are worried.

I say GO for it! Two years ago I walked the CF solo and about two or three times a week I awakened early in the morning (around 4 a.m.) and hiked with the help of my head lamp. Frankly I loved it for many of the reasons it appeals to you. Certainly, the solitude was one of the big rewards as I would watch the sun illuminate the morning sky. As they say, with every "ying" there is a "yang." In this case, there were a few time when walking in forestest regions I found myself a little skittish about walking about in the dark with my headlamp occasionally illuminating eyes glaring at me in the distance. That's when your imagination kicks in and leaves you with all sorts of ghoulish thoughts. Anyway, it was one of the highlights of my adventure and am sure you will find it eually rewarding.

Dogbreath,

This is a long entry, so figure on it consuming 5 minutes of your time.

Last year in May I did my first Camino from SJPDP to SDC. For the first 2 weeks from SJPDP to Astorga I hiked during the daylight times (out the door by 7 AM) and then from Astorga to SDC (the last two weeks) I got out the door by 3 AM.

I live in a small town and in order not to arouse suspicion, I trained at night anytime after 10 PM. The police got accustomed to me and left me alone, the traffic was almost non-existent and my body liked the cold air. Eventually I developed a 20-mile route around town that consumed 6 hours of constant hiking with a 35 lbs pack. The moment I hit the streets of SJPD I was joined by two people that would start hiking no sooner than 7 AM. Within two weeks my body was so wrecked that I had to stop at an albergue where the hospitaleros told me I was done, that my Camino had ended and I should fly back to my own country so a doctor could do something to my right knee and left ankle.

I said farewell to my Camino companions, sat around doing absolutely nothing for three days. Eventually I made the decision to continue my Camino, but do it this time by starting in the dark. Two weeks later I was in SDC. It had been more than a decade since I was so physically fit. I had gone from hiking 15 miles a day to 30 miles a day and in the process, my body healed itself. Get this, even my blisters disappeared. I kid you not. The Camino wanted me to hike starting in the dark, I followed that lead and finally started enjoying the journey.

I left my albergues at 3 AM each morning and hiked until around 11 AM.

Folks will say "You'll miss seeing so many things," which in part is true. However, how many people get to see the Iron Cross at sunrise? It's glorious an extremely endearing. While hiking in darkness, I shared the Camino with all manner of nocturnal wildlife that kept their distance and only my headlamp shining in their eyes gave their position away. Those encounters were fascinating if not exhilarating. I climbed up to O Cebreiro in the dark, and because of a heavy fog I spent most of that 2 hour journey not knowing if I was travelling on an incline or a flat surface. That was utterly amazing and I wish I could do it again. It was an absolute pleasure to walk right on the middle line of at least 150 km of highways without every seeing a car. The daylight hiking on the Camino paths to the side of those same highways is tedious and boring and noisy and filled with fumes.

On six night hikes I didn't need my headlamp. I had the coronation of a full moon to guide me through forests, cities, hills, fields, and the blue hue that surrounded me was a gift I will cherish the remainder of my life. In the dark, sounds are amplified to the point where your own footfalls seem like a violation, the wind can rise in orchestral fashion and when you stop hiking for a few minutes the silence becomes personal. Tears on your cheeks personal.

On getting lost because of the darkness:
I wasted about 50 km getting lost by missing the arrows, and only about 3 kms of that occurred in the darkness. The darkness made me more aware of my surroundings than the daylight hiking. That included the three dark hikes I tried without a guidebook. Seriously.

I'd arrive at my destination each morning near 11 AM and when the hospitaleros discovered that I had already hiked 8 hours that day, every single one of them let me check in right then and there. After my shower I'd roam around the town to see where things were located, I learned the hours of operation of all the places of interest for a Peregrino, and then spent the rest of the afternoon helping other Peregrinos get what they needed. In the two weeks I started hiking in the dark, I was able to help hundreds of Peregrinos find a place to eat, sleep, buy food, and get medical aid. All because I got up at 2 AM, hit the Camino at 3 AM and finished my day at 11 AM.

There are pitfalls to this darkness hiking pattern:

Finding an open restroom in the villages can be challenging at times, even in the medium sized towns. ALWAYS carry toilet paper with you as a night hiker. ALWAYS.

You might discover just how addicted you are to caffeine when, after three hours of hiking its 6 AM and you reach a town where the cafes won't open for another hour, or more. Bummer. You must now determine whether to sacrifice your Camino passion to the Coffee god and wait around an hour, or continue the hike to the next town 4 km away that will have open cafes by the time you get there. For some Peregrinos this seems to be a tough choice.

Speaking of cafes and when they open, a darkness hiker must carry food in their pack at all times, which is no big deal because you'll have plenty of time each afternoon to buy the next days travel food. Because I would end my hiking so soon each morning, I never had a problem finding tiendas that sold dried fruits, nuts, chocolate, hard cheese, sliced meats, and other small items I could access from my backpack belt pouches while I hiked. Yes, I learned how to hike and eat at the same time and I discovered that I enjoyed my food more this way.

A darkness hiker must find albergues that will allow them to leave at 3 AM. Sometimes that's a problem.

A darkness hiker should crash between 7 - 8 PM, which is often difficult because the day hikers usually don't go to bed until 10 PM or later. To counter this unfortunate situation, I'd stay at albergues that had rooms with four or less beds. When I'd meet my roommates and inform them I was crashing around 7-8 PM that night, and they found out why I was going to bed so early, every one of them did what they could to be quite after I went to bed. I'm not certain if this sense of civic responsibility on their part was caused by an awe for my Camino practices or that they figured anyone crazy enough to hit the trail by 3 AM was a person you just didn't want to mess with.

If you need to have people around while you hike, then stick to the daylight hiking. In the 14 darkness hikes I did, I only saw about ten other people on the Camino, most hiked much faster than I so I got passed a lot. We'd talk, briefly, then part ways. Why waste a good silence when later on that day you will be surrounded by so many voices.

If you are easily frightened and tend to worry a lot, stick to the daylight hiking. There is an incredible amount of excitement in dark hiking.

Finally,

when I go back in 2021 I will start most of my hiking days at 3 AM.

_Matthew Merten, small town USA

Night Hiking is great! ,,, and i strongly encourage it. Depending on where you are, you might be able to roll out of bed at 2.30am and have everything already pack, out to the Trail by 3am. I did a night on the Mesita that way....hiking from Calzadilla de los Hermanillos to Mansilla de las Mulas along the old Roman Road. Plan your hike during the full moon in Sept. You wont need a headlamp! Plus you are really only in darkness for 3 hours or so, and your night vision adjusts to to dark, Its a straight road to the horizon,,.and a great feeling being arriving into M d l Mullas, finished for the day at 9am, Take a nero day, do laundry, a nap and sight-see.

Left albergues before sunrise many times especially on the Meseta. Used a small, intense flash lite hooked to my right shoulder strap, when I needed it. But, many mornings, the stars lit the way beautifully. Amazing sky on the Meseta!
Leaving Villafranca del Beierzo was the only time I didn't enjoy it...too dark, on a road. Just dangerous.
Otherwise, I found great peace in the cool silence of early morning.
Great joy watching the morning dawn before actual sunrise. Sky is so beautiful.
I wouldn't recommend it in some of the rougher territory though.

@Matthew Merten what do you mean about training at night so not to arouse suspicion?

I live in a town of about 12,000 in the middle of farm land, southern Illinois, USA. Anything unusual in this area is noted by the locals, for instance, a man hiking around town with a backpack. It's not normal. Usually such a scene produces images of a homeless person, probably mentally unstable and best moved along to the outskirts of town. I chose to start my 5 hour hikes at 3 AM as to avoid suspicion. Eventually the roving peace officers got accustomed to me and no longer slowed down to check me out. I suppose the hiking poles, multiple sources of light strapped to the backpack and once a week consistency let them know I wasn't anything to worry about. After more than two years of hiking in a 15 to 22 mile circuit around my town the locals are accustomed to me, the guy with the floppy hat and poles. Some will cruise up in their cars and ask me just what the heck I'm doing all this hiking for. When they find out, they are very impressed and drive away feeling good about where they live because that guy in the floppy hat is training for something difficult and international in nature.

I love walking in the dark (early morning). My kids and I have gone camping for years in the boundary waters area of Northern Minnesota. We practice night hiking. The rules are: no lights and no talking. Up and down hills with scrabble rocks.

The key is not to use a headlight. You will be amazed what you can see in the dark. The problem I have sometimes is that lights from cars or from other pilgrims’ headlamps wipes out my night vision for several minutes. So I have to stop. Sometimes I have a difficult time convincing other pilgrims to go on because they think they are doing me a favor by walking near me with their light. Wrong.

If I wake up early, and am able to leave wherever I am quietly, I go. I have done this for 10 years on my Caminos. I have missed arrows, but the fun of night hiking offsets the risks, in my opinion. And now that I have downloaded maps on my phone, I am able to find my way back when I get off-course. Of course, you shouldn’t have your phone out while night hiking because it will impact your night vision.

Be careful out there. Pick parts of the Camino that aren’t close to highways. Have fun and enjoy!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We two seniors often start before dawn! It depends upon the weather and distance we are going. If before dawn, we always use headlamps. I purchased rechargeable lights so we don’t have to schlep batteries and much brighter! Payed about 24 dollars for two headlights.
Whether to use a headlamp or not depends up several factors, including the terrain and your night vision.

Last edited:
I love walking in the dark (early morning). My kids and I have gone camping for years in the boundary waters area of Northern Minnesota. We practice night hiking. The rules are: no lights and no talking. Up and down hills with scrabble rocks.

The key is not to use a headlight. You will be amazed what you can see in the dark. The problem I have sometimes is that lights from cars or from other pilgrims’ headlamps wipes out my night vision for several minutes. So I have to stop. Sometimes I have a difficult time convincing other pilgrims to go on because they think they are doing me a favor by walking near me with their light. Wrong.

If I wake up early, and am able to leave wherever I am quietly, I go. I have done this for 10 years on my Caminos. I have missed arrows, but the fun of night hiking offsets the risks, in my opinion. And now that I have downloaded maps on my phone, I am able to find my way back when I get off-course. Of course, you shouldn’t have your phone out while night hiking because it will impact your night vision.

Be careful out there. Pick parts of the Camino that aren’t close to highways. Have fun and enjoy!
Hi Mary,
I also love walking in the dark, and also the occasional sleeping under the stars, which I only did once by Cruz de Ferro…

And like you I know how to prepare for an early departure and leave quietly. When I walk at night I feel free and adventurous. I love the night air and walking into the morning 🥰

Attachments

• D8C076E8-7F3C-405D-BDBC-2AE7310FA93D.jpeg
    D8C076E8-7F3C-405D-BDBC-2AE7310FA93D.jpeg
    414.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 388088B8-B0F2-41A3-8D26-FD74C40F0593.jpeg
    388088B8-B0F2-41A3-8D26-FD74C40F0593.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
I accidentally started walking at 4am one morning. I had startled awake and thought it was a couple hours later - quietly threw my stuff in my pack and left - only to realize once the door shut behind me that it was much darker than my normal early start - but by then it was too late as the door had shut behind me (and locked lol). I thought I had been very quiet as I left, but my roommate did notice me leaving (and knew how early I left - as we ran into each other at night).

Yes - it was cool. Actually - it was cold.
Yes - it was pitch black out. I did have my headlamp - but couldn't see anything around me.
Yes - it was hard to see the arrows. I relied heavily on my GPS to get me out of town.
Overall - I felt safe - but it was kind of creepy being in a foreign country and not having any idea what was around me.
It was MANY HOURS before I could stop for breakfast, More than 5 hours as most bars were not opening until 9am. Fortunately for me, I think I did have a couple snacks.

Regarding getting to sleep early - don't count on it unless you are someone who can sleep through lots of noise. Believe me, the rooms don't quiet down until 10pm, sometimes later.

And then your roommates - no matter how quiet you think you are - you WILL inevitably wake someone up which is not cool before 6am. 10pm-6am are the hours where people should be allowed to sleep. These are the hours people expect "quiet time". Keeping people up after 10pm or waking them before 6am is generally frowned upon. I only had 1 roommate that day due to COVID and the rooms being at half capacity (4 bed room only allowed 2 people). I was totally quick and quiet. I still woke her up. Which I did apologize for and explained that I was disoriented that day when I woke and didn't realize how early it really was. If you are planning to get up and get going that early - I suggest getting a private room not only so you can go to sleep as early as you want, but also so you can wake as early as you want without disturbing others. I did find getting up at 6 and leaving at 6:30 helped me avoid much of the afternoon heat (which it did get hot - most of my June/July Camino had cooler than normal temps)

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
anybody notice that nobody who posts that they leave in the middle of the night is ever one of those pilgrims who disturbs others and politely takes all their prepacked things to the common room to get dressed and never ever makes noise?
I believe you have a point… first of all I always feel a difference in the beginning of a camino and later… the first days I feel all clumsy, tend to forget something.

If I know I will leave early I have everything packed… and when I get up I bring everything outside, so I only have to go 1-2 times to bring my stuff - and outside I will stuff my sleeping bag… if it is very very early I might be sleeping in my walking clothes.
Which means I will only be making slightly more noise, than when going to the toilet and also be aware of doors, steps etc. - which a lot of people don’t.

I am very cautious - and am always surprised that some people make a lot of noise, both early and also later, speak loudly even though others are sleeping and don’t seem to notice they are pointing their lamps at someone.

If I leave later I usually pack my things in the bed/room, but always attempting to make as little noise as possible is someone needs a little more rest.

By all means! I often awakened around 3 am or 4 am and started hiking. On a starlit night, its an amazing, sometimes, unnerving, experience. Give it a try and see what you think.

No one will be happy with a 3 am departure! You will be a marked man!! 😳

It was Oct. 13, 2017, the day after the Spanish National Holiday. I woke early and set out on the trail north from Merida, where I and many of the residents of the region had been celebrating and viewing national monuments the day before. I had been told that a particular bar on the northern outskirts of Merida opened early, and I was eagerly anticipating eating my breakfast there. I went to the door, knocked, and tried the door, which was locked solidly and the bar dark, on the morning after a much-celebrated national holiday. The streetlights were still lit, however. By chance, I looked up to the right of the street. A curve across the sky marked the location of the Merida aquaduct, reaching far up into the still-dark sky. Just below the top of this curve, a single brightly burning star signalled that dawn was not far off. I made three pointless attempts to photograph this wonder. The brightness of the streetlights would not let my camera record it. But I would always remember without a photo.

Last edited:
It was Oct. 13, 2017, the day after the Spanish National Holiday. I woke early and set out on the trail north from Merida, where I and many of the residents of the region had been celebrating and viewing national monuments the day before. I had been told that a particular bar on the northern outskirts of Merida opened early, and I was eagerly anticipating eating my breakfast there. I went to the door, knocked, and tried the door, which was locked solidly and the bar dark, on the morning after a much-celebrated national holiday. The streetlights were still lit, however. By chance, I looked up to the right of the street. A curve across the sky marked the location of the Merida aquaduct, reaching far up into the still-dark sky. Just below the top of this curve, a single brightly burning star signalled that dawn was not far off. I made three pointless attempts to photograph this wonder. It was pointless. The brightness of the streetlights would not let my camera record it. But I would always remember without a photo.
Thanks for sharing. My strongest memories on my caminos I also carry with me in my heart - not in a photo.

We got up mostly at 4:30 and started walking by 5am. Doing this meant we missed the heat of the day which was the purpose but we did get lost twice by missing the markers. One time 15km in the wrong direction. However we also found other pilgrims who were doing the same and together we had some very enjoyable darkish walks with head torches and the ever desperate need for the first coffee. But the end of walk beer and wine of the day was wonderful. Just see how you go. But remember your other sleeping pilgrims. We had everything packed and just needed to get up, pick up our bag and put shoes on outside, eat a little something and go. The less noise the better. Have fun. Bon Caminho
Do you know how annoying it is when people wake up that early and everybody still sleeping? Frankly it's inconsiderate and you gain nothing.

Do you know how annoying it is when people wake up that early and everybody still sleeping? Frankly it's inconsiderate and you gain nothing.
I know you didn’t reply to me…. But I occasionally walk that early, primarily in the summer…

And I am sorry if you had bad experiences with people making noise when getting up early. I am used to sleep in a dormitory, and I have been woken up by many people - and in general I manage to leave with out waking up people, if you plan it, it doesn’t make much more noise than going to the bathroom or snoring.
I don’t have an alarm, but am woken up by my watch which vibrates, but usually I would be awake before I feel it.

And I gain a lot… First of all I Iove walking in the dark, and I appreciate walking when it is not to hot. And I will always do my best to leave without waking anyone up with minimal noise, which is more effort than I usual have experienced in a dormitory.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
anybody notice that nobody who posts that they leave in the middle of the night is ever one of those pilgrims who disturbs others and politely takes all their prepacked things to the common room to get dressed and never ever makes noise?
Of course! Because this is not a truly random sample of Camino pilgrims. There is selection bias at play. These are people committed enough to Caminos to seek out and participate in forums like this, who read the advice and concern of others. Often, people who are active enough to post of their own experiences (as opposed to just lurking or posing questions) have walked multiple Caminos.

It can't be because no one is going to admit to an audience like this (intentionally) to being inconsiderate.

I met 2 guys who walked 1 night when it was a full moon. I hope to do the same this June.

I met 2 guys who walked 1 night when it was a full moon. I hope to do the same this June.
Yes, it is amazing so much the moon lights up.

But if you walk when there is a new moon… in the right spots, you might be able to see the Milky Way…

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I walked at night one time on my second Camino. I was in that town with the church that has the shape of a shell behind the altar in their church (It has to be 20ish km from Santiago) , and I chose this Albergue with no A/C. It was rather big—maybe 150 beds? And they were all in the basement, but between it being in July, all the body heat, and no AC, I was sweltering and couldn’t sleep to save my life. About midnight, I felt like I had a choice….bother the other people in the dorm with my tossing and turning or begin walking. So, I dragged all my crap into the hallway by the bathroom, packed it all up, and started walking.

I had a headlamp, but by this point on the Camino, there were a lot of street lamps that lighted my way as well. I was so tired that I stopped a couple of times at bus stops for cat naps, but I hit Monte de Gozo about 6:30a, just in time to get some breakfast before walking into Santiago in the early morning light.

It was probably one of my favorite walks ever.

Attachments

• 59220EFB-5D73-4323-BE0E-5A7EC4D1B6D5.jpeg
    59220EFB-5D73-4323-BE0E-5A7EC4D1B6D5.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 3
  • 41ED4689-8AD8-4B1D-BC5B-7695A8FFF4CB.jpeg
    41ED4689-8AD8-4B1D-BC5B-7695A8FFF4CB.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 2
  • EDDED499-1F1E-4422-BA2E-49D1C49BFEE9.jpeg
    EDDED499-1F1E-4422-BA2E-49D1C49BFEE9.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 4C84C5CD-5382-4ABA-A3B4-E269C722A661.jpeg
    4C84C5CD-5382-4ABA-A3B4-E269C722A661.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 2
I found some of the hardest navigating was getting out of a small, unmarked town. In daylight. I personally went to Spain to see it. I prefer daylight, but maybe that’s just me.

Hi Dogbreath,

I'm wondering how you got on with night hiking? Did you end up doing it? What were your favourite stages to walk at night? And any lessons to pass on?

Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I usually didn't like to start much more than an hour before sunrise. If I was in a big city, I would start earlier because I would be using the city lights. Most of the time for cities it would take you at least 45 minutes to hike out to the darkness. The only time I had much of a problem with the darkness was in Mortinos where I missed a turn. I will say that once you start getting closer to Santiago, people get wacky with leaving early or will keep hiking all the way from a long distance away.

Back