• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking boots & sore legs

Fay Clarke

Time of past OR future Camino
I am planning to walk the Camino in April 2018.
Hi everyone!

I have been breaking in my new hiking boots for a few weeks now.
Started with every now and then to every couple of days and now every day due to wearing out totally my old runners.
The problem is l have having problems with very tight calves and pains in my shins.
I am having deep tissue treatment, stretching heaps, taking magnesium etc.....
I am leaving in 7.5 weeks to walk the Camino and starting to worry that my legs won't be up to it?
I have walked about 8-10 klms for the last 18 mths daily and now l have upped the anti to 12-15 klms daily.
Any advice or even encouragement

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That sounds terribly painful. The way you have written suggests that you had no problems when using your 'old runners' and the problems have appeared since using your new boots?
Could I suggest then that you give up on the new boots and buy a new pair of the old runners you no longer wear?

Part of the planning leads one to think that this is a big trek, similar to walking up the Himalayas, but it isn't, it is just a long walk. So it really isn't necessary to wear boots you know ... plenty of pilgrims walk in runners, for their width, comfort, lightness, traction, sole support. I wear Keen Newport sandals (!) and have no problems whatsoever.
What is certain is that the more weight you carry in your pack the more you will stress your body, especially the lower legs and feet - so for me, it is pack super light and wear the most light and comfortable footwear you can find - good quality runners, with a lovely thick sole to protect against the rough ground, are fine.

I am not there so please don't take this as any sort of diagnosis as it isn't! but one of the ways of producing the symptoms you say you have is by carrying a heavy pack. When wearing a heavy pack the body has to lean forward from the waist to compensate and all those muscles and tendons in the legs go into stress even before one takes a step. To prove this stand upright and relaxed (without a pack), hands down by the sides. Become aware of your legs. Now, turn your elbows outwards a little bit and lean slightly forward from the waist - from the waist! - and you will feel all of the muscles and tendons in your legs, especially the front, go into stress - and this is what happens when a heavy pack goes on your back so when you start walking you are already properly set up to encounter serious problems!

When you are on Camino you will most likely meet a few pilgrims who have their boots tied to their packs and will be wearing their 'back-ups', usually sandals or light running shoes. They encountered similar problems, as well as blisters, and moved to the lighter footwear - and if you ask them you will usually find that they now have no problems at all - I have seen it many times - so please, don't think that you have to have 'all the special kit' for this great trek, you don't. What you need is comfort.

So I say, give yourself a break, throw the boots out of the window, put the runners back on, and half empty the rucksack!

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Been there, done that. Footwear is a very personal choice but if runners work for you then maybe you could try tail runners designed for long distance walking? They have good treads but runner type uppers. I wasted heaps of money trying unsuccessfully to find boots that didn’t try to eat me from the feet up. Trail runners were the answer for me. Maybe for you too.
Buen camino, peregrina.

Hi Fay. I'm afraid I tend to agree with the above advice, anytime outside winter boots really aren't the way to go.

For the pain, I'm no expert but similar issues that I've had have almost always coincided with dehydration.

@David is right. If you are walking the Frances and your old runners have plenty of wear in them wear those. If your runners don’t have plenty of wear in them just buy another pair the same but maybe half a size bigger because walking day after day will cause your feet to swell.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I agree with the above advice (have done two Caminos in runners myself) and would also add - don't overdo the training. 12-15km every day sounds like quite a lot as preparation, even though you may be walking more than that on the Camino. You don't want to wear your body out before you start! Great to increase your fitness and stamina in preparation, but maybe have a "rest day" once a week at least. Maybe more until you resolve the leg pain issue.

Whatever you decide, buen Camino!

Hi everyone!

Started with every now and then to every couple of days and now every day due to wearing out totally my old runners.
The problem is l have having problems with very tight calves and pains in my shins.
I am leaving in 7.5 weeks to walk the Camino and starting to worry that my legs won't be up to it?
I have walked about 8-10 klms for the last 18 mths daily and now l have upped the anti to 12-15 klms daily.
Hi Fay,as adviced already looking for other footwear is a option .
My wife had the same problem. After three new walking boots she found the perfect boots for her .
Hope everything will end well for you.

Wish you a wonderful time and a Buen Camino,Peter.

Hola @Fay Clark; as has been stated footwear choice/type etc is definitely the most personal of external camino gear. If your feet/legs are getting pain and all things being equal the new boots/shoes would appear to be the reason.
Unfortunately no amount of walking up and down a ramp in the shop where you bought them can really provide the road test you truly need. I support the recommendations to buy a a pair of the old brand/style, but still give them a month of use to become as comfortable as the old ones.

I am one of those who prefers/needs foot and ankle protection so I wore boots on my 2017 Camino. They were fully broken it, 15-20 months of use however after 778 km they are showing their age. They will still be good for my local walks but not for another camino. But as that day is around 15 months away (and its the Porto at this stage) I will start looking for a replacement. Cheers for now; Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My wife had the same problem. After three new walking boots she found the perfect boots for her .

Thank you very much, will buy another pair of my old runners!

Hi Fay. I'm afraid I tend to agree with the above advice, anytime outside winter boots really aren't the way to go.

For the pain, I'm no expert but similar issues that I've had have almost always coincided with dehydration.
Thanks a lot

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hola @Fay Clark; as has been stated footwear choice/type etc is definitely the most personal of external camino gear. If your feet/legs are getting pain and all things being equal the new boots/shoes would appear to be the reason.
Unfortunately no amount of walking up and down a ramp in the shop where you bought them can really provide the road test you truly need. I support the recommendations to buy a a pair of the old brand/style, but still give them a month of use to become as comfortable as the old ones.

I am one of those who prefers/needs foot and ankle protection so I wore boots on my 2017 Camino. They were fully broken it, 15-20 months of use however after 778 km they are showing their age. They will still be good for my local walks but not for another camino. But as that day is around 15 months away (and its the Porto at this stage) I will start looking for a replacement. Cheers for now; Buen Camino!
Yep, bugga, love my new boots but legs killing me

Thanks alot

Thanks heaps

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That sounds terribly painful. The way you have written suggests that you had no problems when using your 'old runners' and the problems have appeared since using your new boots?
Could I suggest then that you give up on the new boots and buy a new pair of the old runners you no longer wear?

Part of the planning leads one to think that this is a big trek, similar to walking up the Himalayas, but it isn't, it is just a long walk. So it really isn't necessary to wear boots you know ... plenty of pilgrims walk in runners, for their width, comfort, lightness, traction, sole support. I wear Keen Newport sandals (!) and have no problems whatsoever.
What is certain is that the more weight you carry in your pack the more you will stress your body, especially the lower legs and feet - so for me, it is pack super light and wear the most light and comfortable footwear you can find - good quality runners, with a lovely thick sole to protect against the rough ground, are fine.

I am not there so please don't take this as any sort of diagnosis as it isn't! but one of the ways of producing the symptoms you say you have is by carrying a heavy pack. When wearing a heavy pack the body has to lean forward from the waist to compensate and all those muscles and tendons in the legs go into stress even before one takes a step. To prove this stand upright and relaxed (without a pack), hands down by the sides. Become aware of your legs. Now, turn your elbows outwards a little bit and lean slightly forward from the waist - from the waist! - and you will feel all of the muscles and tendons in your legs, especially the front, go into stress - and this is what happens when a heavy pack goes on your back so when you start walking you are already properly set up to encounter serious problems!

When you are on Camino you will most likely meet a few pilgrims who have their boots tied to their packs and will be wearing their 'back-ups', usually sandals or light running shoes. They encountered similar problems, as well as blisters, and moved to the lighter footwear - and if you ask them you will usually find that they now have no problems at all - I have seen it many times - so please, don't think that you have to have 'all the special kit' for this great trek, you don't. What you need is comfort.

So I say, give yourself a break, throw the boots out of the window, put the runners back on, and half empty the rucksack!
Yep, think your right

I walked the Camino Frances in April/May 2017 and several people with "hiking boots" sent them home and bought Teva Sandals or Keen sandals and walked with those instead. One young woman in Leon had terrible pain and problems in her shins and ankles due to her leather hiking boots as diagnosed by a doctor in the hospital there. She sent them home. She bought lovely running shoes and walked in those instead. Loved them.
Most if not all of your walking will be on asphalt, concrete or hard packed dirt trail. Some people swear by leather or synthetic hiking boots with a high ankle but from what I have seen over the past 17 years, no one sends their running shoes home to buy hiking boots. It's the other way around. If you're already having problems with your boots, I would suggest that you look into something else like trail running shoes or simply running shoes. I walked in Merrell Moab Ventilators (non-waterproof) and I fairly danced with delight all the way from SJPP to Finisterra. Loved the ventilation and sturdy sole. Many people were wearing Brooks, New Balance or Nike running shoes.
Anyway, it's a personal preference so see what works for you. :)

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi everyone!

Hiking boots are over rated and a waste of time I ditched mine and did it in runners, simply brilliant

Hi everyone!

Slow strolling ‍♀️ rather than mad rush, rather like prayer walking is a solution. Smell the roses metaphorically, sit, listen, share it is the journey as well as the arriving - God bless you have fun. Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I agree with all the above, but I still walk in my boots. In Denmark as well as on the camino. And in both places I always bring my Merrel sandals to walk the easy streches. Simply to change the pressure on the feet.

We people are not similar and neither is our feet.

I have a pair of Hanwags Tudela Light lady (without goretex) and I love them. I need support for my ankles even/especially walking on asphalt and hard dirt tracks...

But then again, it sound like over-training to me. Relax some days/stroll some shorter distances without backpack - or change to swimming or bike riding for some of the days in a week along with a rest day every week. Try not to do the same exercise all the time, ie. walking. You’ll get to do that on the camino.

Buon camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
here's some thoughts as others have said
boots weight and hit differently IMO than runners and strain the legs differently

I too was a boot fanatic and used trail runners and would do it again in a heart beat

I have found my stride length affects the strike on my shin and too fast too long stride irritated

if you are escalating your miles you may be seeing issues not brought out in 15 KM

walking on asphalt made my legs sore in a way that more miles on a dirt trail did not- I had to train to different surfaces

the right boot make all the difference- i went through 6 boots before deciding on my shoes

Boots caused problems for me. Changed to lightweight shoes. Problem fixed.

All other things being equal (and I stress "all") - go for the lightest footwear. Whether it is on your back or your feet, it is still weight you are carrying and your legs, muscles, ligaments bear the strain.

I agree with all above. I would also add for you to find appropriate stretches for your legs. We over work our legs on than we realise. Find a series of gentle but effective stretches to do before and after you train and keep them as a practise on your camino

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I agree with the above advice (have done two Caminos in runners myself) and would also add - don't overdo the training. 12-15km every day sounds like quite a lot as preparation, even though you may be walking more than that on the Camino. You don't want to wear your body out before you start! Great to increase your fitness and stamina in preparation, but maybe have a "rest day" once a week at least. Maybe more until you resolve the leg pain issue.

Whatever you decide, buen Camino!
I trained by walking approximately 10 kilometers every other day (on flat terrain) for a few months prior. I now stop training two weeks before I head out on Camino as was recommended by a forum member. The gist was that if you have any leg, hip, or feet ailments from over training, they should mostly resolve themselves in that timeframe. Sounded good to me! :)

Well - as I have said more than twice, its an individual decision. You go with what suits you the most. In 2013 I had to abandon my first camino as those bloody Merrells and their complete lack of adequate padding(*) almost permanently crippled me. So now I wear Keen boots - lots of toe room; lots of extra padding; no blisters. To each her/his own!!:)

(* yes this was my first camino and the people who sold me the shoes did not mention anything about "buying or needing inner-sole extra padding"- when I returned home and lodged my complaint I discovered that that particular sales person no longer worked there)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi everyone!

My quick advise would be to make an appointment with a orthotics clinic asap. Your walking gate may have be fine for everyday life, but adding distance, frequency and load and stresses appear.
I could add my story here but my experience is exactly yours. If you would like more info, private PM me. I’d be happy to share my experience

There has been a lot of good advice.
Take more rest days, buy some trail shoes. I recommend Brooks Cascadias. Drink more water.
WITHOUT A DOUBT, the most important thing to learn now is LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!!!!! Your Body will always be talking to you on the Camino. When your body says you’re tired, stop. When your feet or your joints give you pain it’s your body telling you something. When your hungry eat when you’re thirsty drink and when you’re feeling good walk and walk. Don’t worry about your group. There is always another wonderful person to meet. If you are with others and want to continue to walk with them then meet them further along the way. The most serious injuries and the people in the most pain that I’ve met in over 3000 km of walking are those who are trying to keep up with others or keep to a preconceived notion of what they must do each day. Those people end up hurting themselves, taking more time, and suffering a lot more pain or trying to keep up with others. Those people end up hurting themselves, taking more time, and suffering a lot more pain. Remember your best friend on the Camino is yourself and the best friend you can have on the Camino is your body. Your body will never give you bad advice.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi everyone!

I would suggest that since you are having problems in spite of the training you are doing I would be getting some expert advice from both a podiatrist and a sports physiotherapist as a matter of urgency. They will be able to correctly diagnose and advise you, but if you leave it as it is I think your camino is at risk. I suffered bad foot trouble 200km from the end of my Via Francigena and it meant not only an extremely painful last couple of weeks as I hobbled into Rome, but also permanent damage to my right foot. It didn't occur to me to get podiatry or physio help there and then, but in retrospect, it might have saved me a lot of trouble.

Hi everyone!

Hi Faye,

I will not talk footwear as there has been lots given already,

What I will hone in on is the daily walking. My experience over the last few months is identical.

Stop walking now. Leave the last couple of months for your body to regenerate. Though the 8 to 10 km and then 12 to 15 km is great, you are doing all the usual things you do every day as well.

For me, I walked a total of 938 km from April 20/17 to Nov 1/17. That is pretty much a Camino Frances all the way to Finisterre. But near the end of October, I was suffering shooting pains through my left quads. I am in Physio all this month (Feb) and I am asurred that the issues will be resolved.

So, relax for a few weeks, make sure to max out intake of protein, water and, "Electrolytes." In walking lonng distances, maintaining electrolytes and proper hydration is essential.

My solution to the constantly tense muscles was to stop walking for a week. Let them relax. Then start again with shorter distances. A couple of weeks or so before the start of your Camino, stop walking, rest, eat, relax.

While the Camino is not the easiest walk in the world, it is not a torture chamber. Go slow, stop to see what is interesting at the side of the road. Take time to look around you. Take time to stop early in places that have something you want to see. Sit in the shade, the next village isn't going anywhere.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
David's advice is spot on, boots are just not appropriate for every individual and all circumstances.

I'd only ever advise taking boots as a first choice for a winter Camino ; or for a more lengthy one (1200-1500 K+) that might require more tarmac hiking and &c. than usual.

I must wear size 13½ army boots myself for my ankle issues, but that's true for me as much in day-to-day life as on the Camino. I do NOT recommend such boots to others if not by exception -- they're heavy and they are of little real assistance compared to other footgear on the Camino Francès ; basically, just some occasional easier crossing of streams or muddy patches, and an average of one day's help in the Galicia rain.

But because of that rain and possible mud, I'd advise a closed pair of light shoes rather than sandals -- but to each their own. hmmmm, there are such things as light hiking boots (sort of half boot - half trainer) ... just one more option.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

Such an important question! I was worried about my boots, and whether I had the right ones for me, so on the advice of a friend who completed the Camino in 2008, I booked in with a Podiatrist for a gait analysis. And he flat out told me my boots were unsuitable. This was after I completed several tests, and walked on the pressure sensitive treadmill, and had my walk filmed from the back and side. Verdict: The way my feet are structured, I need boots with the stiffest possible sole/shank, and that curl up significantly at the toes so that when I roll forward I can leverage off them as most people do naturally. I also need supportive insoles (yet to be purchased).

I took this advice, and the next day I bought new boots (fortunately on sale, but still the most expensive shoes I have ever bought!!). 10 days in, not one blister, and a significant improvement in ease and speed once I got used to the change in shoe, and slight gait change. I was also given exercises to strengthen the muscles in my foot/ankle/calves.

I cannot emphasise how reassuring the Podiatrist visit was, I've taken the prevention is better than cure route, had a professional check it out, and actually love putting my boots on....

I'm 10 weeks out from starting the camino, so will just miss you, but Buen camino!

There's a lot of good advice in this thread, but the key "take-away" is that we're not all the same. Finding the right footgear is a very personal thing. Seeing a Podiatrist is certainly one way to do that, but I've gotten very good advice from the Kiwi sales assistant who handles shoes at my nearest REI. Different manufacturers use different lasts, so finding the right fit is essential.

I believe in using the lightest shoes possible. We are constantly moving our feet as we walk, and having less weight to move uses less energy. I've seen through-hikers with heavy packs on rough bits of the Appalachian Trail using Crocs! The woman who set the record for the fastest through-hike on the AT used old-fashioned Keds sneakers. I use trail running shoes, which are sort of beefed-up road running shoes.

Having found the right shoe for me, I have bought new pairs and used them right out of the box -- zero break-in. I have never gotten blisters from trail running shoes, but I have from leather boots.

Whatever works for you.

€83,-
Had exactly the same problem. Decided to ditch the boot option and go for some trail running shoes... All the grip waterproof breathable but more flexible and doesn't affect gait and therefore doesn't induce shin splints etc..

Make sure whatever you go for, that there is enough room for your feet to swell without rubbing. Heat and gravity...

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.