• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking boots versus Approach Shoes

Portia1

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2009, Portuguese 2012
Frances 2016, 2019
I have my well worn, broken in hiking boots and was originally thinking about wearing them. They were great on the AT when I was carrying a 25-30# pack. Now I am thinking a pair of lighter weight approach shoes might make more sense--with a packweight of 16#. My hiking boots are gore-tex and offer lots of ankle support but they are leather and heavy. Approach shoes would be lower at the ankle and lighter in weight and accordingly offer less support. Any feedback? I will be walking this September. I figure if I wear approach shoes, I will need to also bring my low gators to control those nasty stones that are attracted like MAGNETS to my feet. My husband insists I have "Princess and the Pea" feet. Thanks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Not sure what approach shoes are but I guess they are something like hiking shoes.On 3 caminoes I've always worn goretex hiking shoes but after the wet weather from Granada last year (from mid may to late june) I bought a pair of Asolo leather boots. On many mornings I would end up with wet feet withing half an hour due to the heavy rain so hopefully the leather boots will be better. I also wore small gaiters to stop those persistent and annoying grass seeds attching themselves to my socks.

Hi,

I wore Merrell high top leather on the AT...I found that the lighter boot in Gore-tex (also Merrell) worked best on the Camino...if you're concern is splashing water or pea gravel...low leg gaters will suffice.

You're carrying so little that there's reduced need for ankle support...unless you have a medical condition. If anything, the concern will be with knee injuries from falls...or up hill strain.

Buen Camino
Arn

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I wore New Balance Trail shoes and was VERY happy!
They were very comfortable, dried quickly, and cushioned my feet.
I got a total of zero blisters! The few hotspots were kept safe with Compeed.
I purchased cushioned insoles for a little extra.

I just bought a NEW pair for my next camino!

I wore Merrells walking shoes rather than boots. I loved the Vibram sole, which helped me stop slipping in the wet, muddy conditions I encountered in April, May and early June. But I wished they were more water-proof in some of the early days in France when my feet got saturated.

As you can see from the attached photo, taken in the albergue in El Burgo Ranero on the Meseta, people wore all kinds of shoes and boots. Whatever you choose though, you will save yourself a lot of bother if you make sure they are well worn in before you hit the Camino.
Margaret

Attachments

• 396 shoes.jpg
    396 shoes.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 4,864
Hi - I wore Merrell hiking shoes on my camino and they performed well. I did encounter a few stages (perhaps 5 or 6 out of 30) in which I would have preferred the ankle support or a boot. I would say hiking shoes or at most lightweight boots would work best.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello,
I have Columbia Titanium all leather hiking boots. They are on the heavy side but they keep walking by themselves even when I´m too exhausted to walk. Vibram soles are marvellous!
-T-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.