• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

hiking boots versus tennis shoes

Debra Dunsmore

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2017
My daughter and I will hopefully be walking the Camino next summer. I bought some REI hiking boots, which I used the first time a couple of weeks ago. We took a 5-mile hike and my feet hurt terribly. I walk 3 miles daily just wearing tennis shoes. I was wondering if it is absolutely necessary to wear hiking boots on the Camino. We will be starting in Spain as I have bad knees and I do not think I would be physically able to do the Pyrenees. Thanks for reading and giving any suggestions. They will be very much appreciated.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
On my first Camino, I just wore regular road running shoes. While comfortable, they definitely needed more traction. Also a thicker sole as some of the pathway can be rocky and uneven and I felt each bump on the sole of my foot. That took some of the joy from my first week. I would recommend a trail version of your favorite model, they tend to cover both of the problems that I personally had.

I know of very few people who wear hiking boots on the Camino (or any other long distance trail). Generally, it is because it is not necessary. Hiking boots are heavy. If you pack efficiently for the Camino and you are not personally packing a lot of weight, you will most likely not need the ankle support of a high upper boot. Plus, the terrain of the Camino is pretty forgiving. Having heavy shoes just means you are lugging around a bunch of unnecessary weight.

That said, every individual is different to their foot needs. My first Camino I used the Brooks Cascadia which was a popular choice on the Pacific Crest Trail in 2013. It is a trail running shoe. They are a very light and comfortable shoe. However, after walking 800 km, I realized I needed a much firmer mid-sole to provide more support for my feet. So now I know when I buy a shoe, I look for a trail runner with a firm mid-sole.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walk 3 miles daily just wearing tennis shoes. I was wondering if it is absolutely necessary to wear hiking boots on the Camino.
No it is not necessary.

When you refer to "tennis shoes", I assume you mean some sort of generic low sports shoe. They may well be quite suitable for the Camino but it is hard to know from that description. What is the brand and model? (I wouldn't use shoes like those my husband wears to play tennis. For long distance walking I prefer a slightly sturdier and wider sole with better grip.)

Many people wear light hiking boots, yet also many wear low shoes. My observations in the early spring and late fall are that boots are perhaps more common, but that might be due to the weather. Summer could mean more shoes than boots. What is important is to be sure they are comfortable on your feet for all-day walks! I would agree with the cautions against traditional heavy stiff hiking boots, but I am very happy with my light weight Salomon boots.

It sounds like the boots you have are not the right choice and you should return them. Why don't you do a few test walks of 5 to 7 miles in your normal ("tennis") shoes and see how they are. If they are still good, keep using them for a few more months and build up your distances. You will probably need to replace them before the camino, so be sure to do that several months before departure. At least you'll have a bit more confidence then, on whether that type of shoe works for you on long walks.

Please research this wonderful Forum and you will find endless conversations on this important subject (some are mine). Personally I appreciate the comfort of a well cushioned trainer. The variety of terrain including pavement with the added variance in weather. Read on........ Ultreya......... Willy/Utah/USA

I would go with a trail runner, I use Salomon but you could go try some different brands on and see what works for you. You should also try walking with poles if you haven't already, they take some of the weight off your knees.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
?..It sounds like the boots you have are not the right choice and you should return them. ..
Surely after they'd been used for a five mile walk the shop wouldn't receive the boots back?
Suzanne :)

Surely after they'd been used for a five mile walk the shop wouldn't receive the boots back? :)
Someone else on the forum can confirm, but REI is an large outdoor equipment store in the US that is well known for its satisfaction guarantee. I don't live in the US so I've not used it, but I understand from others on the forum that they happily accept back items that have been trialed and found unsatisfactory. In Canada we have a similar store, MEC.

I would never endorse taking unreasonable advantage of a store's guarantee, but it would depend on what type of advice was received, and how the return conditions were stated.

I gather one of the reasons REI is so popular is because you can take back shoes that have been worn. I remember a segment from "Wild" (the movie) where this occurs.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Surely after they'd been used for a five mile walk the shop wouldn't receive the boots back?
Actually, Debra was lucky that she bought her boots at REI. I know of cases where somebody returned boots with more than 790 Km on them (I swear it was not me)!

REI has 'updated' their return policy to within one year of purchase, although it is still very generous. That said, you are paying the highest prices out there for shoes. So I think the high prices do subsidize their return policy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wore light weight hiking shoes but as I usually walk in Nike trainers (and hadn't worn my hiking shoes in for long enough... Err two weeks :) ) I also carried my Nike trainers in my backpack. I did wear my trainers one day towards the end as i'd run out of tape and hikers wool (complacency!) and had an ankle blister so it was nice to have an alternative with different pressure points, but I was really glad people talked me into buying and wearing the hiking shoes. They provided much better support especially over the rocky and uneven ground between Astorga to Santiago. I actually threw my trainers on the fire at Finisterre, and won't bother with taking trainers when I do my second Camino. I was also most grateful to have been talked into taking trekking poles even though I'd never used them before. They were a godsend on slippery slopes.

You will have a fabulous time, Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I know every person is different on their approach to the gear used for their outdoor activities. Everyone has a different taste as they also have different feet shape and tolerance for pain, humidity, etc.
But, I have to confess that, considering my experience with outdoor activities, that I have a lot of trouble trying to understand how in hell people manage to use ( and recommend!) regular shoes for this sort of activity...

I'm not even talking about ankle support but, considering the CAmino the Santiago, about humidity, water, rain, etc.... I guess the odds of you walking for a month or so in Spain ( specially in Galicia!) without having at least 7 days of very wet/humid weather are pretty slim...

I know gaiters can help on that ( a little) but anyway, I have used trainers as my footwear for one of my caminos just to try it out ( back in 2009) and I have to tell you that it was just plain terrible.... It was very very wet at least 8 to 10 days and my feet took it hard.

I reckon that people that dont like boots are just picking the wrong type of boots for this sort of activity and not using it on the right size for this continuous daily use....

I'm not sure how many times I'll still want to walk the Camino but I'm 100% sure that I'll be wearing boots, including the next one in nov/dec 2016.

Happy Walking and Ultreia!

I'd echo @AZgirl's comment that regular running shoes might be lacking in traction. Personally I prefer a lightweight hiking shoe, like the Merrell Moab. Feels like a trainer, but with additional support and better grip on the rockier parts of the Camino.

My daughter and I will hopefully be walking the Camino next summer. I bought some REI hiking boots, which I used the first time a couple of weeks ago. We took a 5-mile hike and my feet hurt terribly. I walk 3 miles daily just wearing tennis shoes. I was wondering if it is absolutely necessary to wear hiking boots on the Camino. We will be starting in Spain as I have bad knees and I do not think I would be physically able to do the Pyrenees. Thanks for reading and giving any suggestions. They will be very much appreciated.

Hi Debra,

The usual answer will be "you have to decide what's best for you"... But since you are asking...

I use running shoes. I never get blisters. Downside: they get soaked in rain. Upside: I STILL don't get blisters even when my feet are wet. That's why I always use them and I wouldn't change for hiking boots for anything in the world. I have done flat, hilly, gravel, asphalt, heat, cold... Never had a problem.

You just have to be a bit creative when it comes to avoiding mud, and you have to be observant when there are rocks or gravel so you don't slip and hurt yourself.

And now on to bear judgment on others, which is a capital sin... But I was on a few stages of the Camino Francés this year, and I was amazed to see so many people hobbling, walking with pain, stopping in every village to remove shoes and socks. Some feet were not nice to see: it looked like minced meat or someting. And, as I am the Bad pilgrim and not the good one... I said to myself: "Well, that's what you get when you walk in hiking boots in 35 degrees C, with an unnecessarily heavy backpack!! Why do they do this?!" From what I could see, 90 % of the people with bad feet were wearing hiking boots.

So you are talking to the prophet of the Running Shoe on the Camino. Then again, you should choose what is best for yourself and yadda yadda... Well you have my opinion!

See you!

Bad Pilgrim

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Debra, lots of good replies to your OP.

I may have missed something...but, you stated you got the boots and didn't use them. Then you went on a 5 mile hike in new boots?
IMHO, you have to slowly break in new boots. I have no idea what this 5 mile hike was like. But if was on rocky terrain, hills, ups and downs, then it does not sound like you slowly, properly, broke the boots in.

What type of hiking boots did you buy? If you purchased heady duty alpine type of hiking boots made from stiff leather...of course your feet will hurt. You don't need professional alpine hiking boots for the Camino. Light weight mid hiking boots are fine.

I wear a light weight mid hiking boot. Gives me the proper support in my ankles. I remove the useless inserts that come with the boots and put Super Feet ((green ones -- do not put the ORANGE ones into boots)) into my boots.

I wear one size larger boots than my normal size. Normal: 9 For hiking I buy 10. My feet swell. I also wear a sock liner and have never gotten a blister.

If you are totally dissatisfied with the boots then you can return them to REI. They will end up in the yard sale at REI.

I saw people walking the Frances and the Ingles in about anything you can imagine. Most had light weight mid hiking boots on.

Again, good replies above. Above is my two cents worth.

It's your feet. The shoes have to work for you or your Camino will be heck and cause delays and discomfort.

I plan on walking the Portugues this fall. Already have played with different boots from REI. I never wait till two weeks before a Camino walk to get my boots.

I was a die hard boot wearing needing solid foot support- of course carrying a 55lb packs does that. It was very nerve racking to investigate the suggestions of the forum, but it was obvious that experience had proven itself. In all my shoe trials what became obvious is that i do need some rigid support from the shoe and not just my orthotic. AND there are trail shoes out there that do have rigidity- but test them as even in the line i chose, there were thinner soles, soles with different tread, and rigid soles.

I went through 6 styles shoes boots at REI. Many felt like they would work in the short time I had them on in the store. But put on outside for a period of time and the problems for my feet revealed themselves.
REI takes back gear up to a year after purchase (Their previous returns at ANY time was beyond generous!)
Hoka is wonderful with their 30 day return-allows a perfect trial period
Unfortunately after that, I had to go to private wide shoe companies and they did NOT allow returns-so it was an expensive effort to get to the shoes i have

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Nanc, great post. Sounds like me at REI.

You are so on about walking around the REI store vs actual use on a trail. I use store try on for a general feel/fit/lacing/etc. Many boots that I thought were "the boots" turned out to be the night mare boots.

For now the Asolo Fugitive GTX Hiking Boots - Men's boot seems great. Little heavy but feels great. I want to use them on the CP (Camino Portugues). Some say too heavy and expensive. But, I do not skimp on good foot wear. Especially at 70+

Over the years of walking two CF and one CI, my feet spread out. So much that my right little toe started to rub on side of the boot. Not good at all. So for my up coming CP I purchased wide boots.

Many stories of feet becoming wider after walking the Frances (CF). Not so much with the Ingles (CI). But when doing a back to back CFs and CI,,,my feet spread. Wonder it they will shrink back in some if dont do so much walking?

I also went through many boots at REI. Got to know all of the REI workers at the store.

I saw a few walkers in sandals and tennis shoes on the Caminos. Have no idea how they did it.

I have to have ankle and arch support. Like the support especially on rocky area.

I tell people "only you, over time, can tell what works or does not work for you."

Some people take a second lighter shoe to wear around the A'berg and in town at night. I gave up on that long time ago. Only have my hiking boots and shower shoes. Use shower shoes for showers and in the A'berg.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with code_Monkey the Merrill Moab low cut trail shoes are great. I got more than 1000 miles on one pair and still use them for shorter hikes.

I find that trainers are a bit to light weight and the walking boot just to heavy. So I go for the mid range that are light weight but have ankle support - although the sole is a bit on the thin side. But as I always carry the absolute minimum possible so the sole thickness doesn't really affect me to much. I however do make sure that the fit is good, their isn't any rub points inside, I stop every 2 hours and take them off as soon as I have finished walking for the day. I did about 250 miles on the Camino this year (temperatures in the 30's) and at least the same again in NZ and Auz and no blisters.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Debra, I am a shoe minimalist. I hate shoes and if I could, would walk in flip flops. Having said that I did walk in Merrell Moab, very stable and comfortable. And Teva hiking sandles. Amazing on pavement and packed surfaces. But whatever you buy, make sure they are at least a half to one full size larger than usual as your feet swell/spread.
My friend walked in hiking boots but they were fairly light weight and just above the ankle as she has issues with her ankles. But they were very well broken in and were great for her.
Finally I highly recommend walking poles. They help with balance and talk pressure off your joints.
I am planning my next Camino late May. I may run into you. I'll be the one in flip flops
Buen Camino

Debra.... trust me when I say this. You DO NEED GOOD WALKING SHOES. No doubt about this. Tennis shoes are NOT walking boots. Your feet are going to get u "there", so pamper them with a good good great pair of awesome shoes and they will love you as you will love them (your feet that is). I have a pair of Lowa Renegade boots which I absolutely LOVE, ADORE, LIVE IN. Your boots will become your best friend. Buen Camino, :) Caesar

Hi Debra, I am a shoe minimalist. I hate shoes and if I could, would walk in flip flops. Having said that I did walk in Merrell Moab, very stable and comfortable. And Teva hiking sandles. Amazing on pavement and packed surfaces. But whatever you buy, make sure they are at least a half to one full size larger than usual as your feet swell/spread.
My friend walked in hiking boots but they were fairly light weight and just above the ankle as she has issues with her ankles. But they were very well broken in and were great for her.
Finally I highly recommend walking poles. They help with balance and talk pressure off your joints.
I am planning my next Camino late May. I may run into you. I'll be the one in flip flops
Buen Camino
Diane... I have never used walking poles... and never will. Each to their own. Buen Camino Sister, :) Caesar

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Debra: As Nanc pointed out - the advantage to buying your boots/hiking shoes at REI is their great return policy and trained/experienced sales people. Go back to REI and explain the problem you are having with your boots (detail where it hurts). Then ask them about trail shoes vs. boots and get educated. Try on both and choose the ones that feel most comfortable. Then take them home and walk in them - return them to REI if you encounter any problems. Regarding the advice here, I agree that it is good to size up for swelling (make sure you can wiggle your toes freely), nothing rubs or feels uncomfortable and they have sturdy soles.
I have helped several people prepare for their caminos and ALL of them have returned shoes/boots to REI several times until they found the right fit. So don't be embarrassed about going back to return your boots -they understand. Also, while many excellent brands have been mentioned here -ignore them. What fits someone else's foot may not fit yours. Additionally, if you are not getting the right fit you may want to ask about adding insoles. Love my boots but after numerous hikes, I happened to mention how I get a thick callus on the inside heel (no blisters) and the REI sales rep recommended Superfeet to stabilize my heel. I thought I loved my boots before and now I'm wondering how I walked without the new insoles. Thank goodness I happened to get in a discussion with the REI sales rep while my friend was trying on new boots for her camino!

When I am buying new shoes or boots I always go for a brisk 30 minute walk around an indoor shopping mall (dodging shoppers) so that I can compare two models or sizes, without wearing them outside. Then I can return them as still new. Even that short trial can be more informative than the gentle walking you can do in a smaller store.

The big advantage of trail shoes vs tradition boots is the minimum out of time they take to break in. What is not mentioned is providing support for you feet that is different to you ever day shoe that muscles need time to adjust and strengthen to the new footwear. The reasons why your feet grow is because most of us wear fashion shoes that restrict our feet. Nature intended us to walk with our feet flat to the ground and our toes splayed out. Your feet swelling is because your blood pools at the lowest point elevating when taking a rest helps counter the effect. I often wonder it you do a job where you spend all day on your feet are the problems walkers face reduced.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have walked 2 complete camino Frances in trail runners. The first were New Balance Leadvilles and this last time North Face Ultra 109 GTX. They were perfect!

I just got a pair of Hoka One One trail shoes and already in my hiking around (will start Camino Frances Sept 20) they are amazing! They look like runners but I've truly never felt a more comfortable shoe. I'm just hoping they will make it the whole way from SJPP to Finsterre! Buen Camino!

Diane... I have never used walking poles... and never will. Each to their own. Buen Camino Sister, :) Caesar
Welcome to the 'No walking poles club' My other gripe is pilgrims who do not use rubber caps on their trekking poles. It drives the inhabitancies of the villagers around the bend. The constant tap tap of poles on footpaths outside their windows.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I own a pair of walking boots. They are resting nicely in the bedroom closet, since they're far too heavy and stiff for me to walk far in. Though they're perfectly fine for a shorter walk, say 10 km, they're no good at all for longer distances.

Every time I've had to replace my Camino shoes, I've bought lighter and lower shoes. My ankles don't seem to need extra support.

Hello! Taking care of your feet is VERY important on the Camino. This can't be emphasised enough. My first Camino was the Frances from St Jean Pied de Port in 2008. I wore lightweight hiking boots. I also had cotton (summer weight) Bridgedale walking socks and liner socks. I've worn this boots in the Scottish highlands, in the Alps, in the Pyrenees and in South America and I never had a problem until the Camino. I developed very painful blisters under by big toe and on the side of the big toe and was taking a lot of Ibuprofen. I took a rest day in Logrono and my walking partner located a sports shop near the hotel. I decided that I didn't need walking boots as the route wasn't rough enough to need ankle support. So I went for a summer weight walking shoe (Merrel) with a vibram sole (good grip on wet rocks). I tried on my normal size and it hurt. I kept on going up sizes until I was three sizes larger than what I would normally wear. The person in the shop explained that on the Camino, due to the heat and lack of adequate hydration, people's feet can swell quite a bit. I posted my boots home and continued the Camino in my new walking shoes. By blisters were still covered by compede, but they actually healed along the route. By the time I arrived in Santiago, my feet were perfect. We picked up some unguento de peregrino in Tricastela. This is a vaseline based product that has arnica and other herbs which are good for feet. If you can't find this, vaseline or even Vick Vapo Rub works well. You put a very light coating on your feet in the morning and then put on your socks. If you are walking for long distances, take a break, take off your socks and let your feet and socks dry. Recoat your feet, put on your socks and set off again. You need to get proper walking socks. If you have blisters, the light coating of vaseline or Vicks helps prevent the compede from becoming one with your socks. I would also VERY strongly recommend a pair of walking sandals, like Teva. At the end of the day, it is wonderful to take off your walking shoes and put on your sandals. I am a convert to walking poles. As someone suggests, you should get some rubber tips for them and duct tape them on. Go for collapsible poles that can be strapped onto the side of your rucksack. I find poles useful for uphill walking and VERY good for coming down hill (you can adjust them to make them longer). Your knees will thank you.

Again, listen to your feet. If you think you have a hot spot or blister developing, stop and check it out. Don't be pressured (as I was) into pushing on to the next down. I use compede for blisters. Spanish people like using a needle and thread. You thread the needle, pierce the blister and let the ends of the thread dangle from each end. You can move the thread back and forth to reopen the puncture and let the fluid build up out. A chiropodist I know was horrified by this as he said that it was a sure way to bring infection into the wound.

A final recommendation would be pre-trip foot preparation. If you take a few grains of potassium permanganate and soak your feet in it for 10 minutes per day, you end up with rust red feet, but your feet don't sweat! This recommendation came from my chiropodist friend. You can also use rubbing alcohol on your feet to toughen them up pre trip.

Buen Camino

tennis shoes / hiking boots

There is some helpful comment above. My own take on the question is founded in a question posed some years ago on this forum " would you play Tennis in Hiking Boots?'

You need sufficient support for your feet and ankles to enable you to hike half-a-marathon while carrying a back-pack every day for 32 days or thereabouts. Most of us need a boot / shoe designed for that purpose. What suits you is a matter for experiment if you are not a regular hiker.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Seem to remember a John Steinbeck character who used 'ole tennis shoes', but not for walking. My Meindl Bhutan boots were fitted properly by Cotswold Outdoor in the Uk and I found them brilliant. Nearly everyone I saw who wore running/trail/training shoesspent the first half hour every morning, bandaging blisters. I didnt! Seriously though, whatever you decide on have them fitted properly. This is not something you should pick up on the internet because they look good.

Excellent post Nicole........and for first-time pilgrims, please be mindful of villagers and keep those rubber tips on your poles; better yet, no poles at all. The constant clicking is can be extremely irritating.

Seem to remember a John Steinbeck character who used 'ole tennis shoes', but not for walking. My Meindl Bhutan boots were fitted properly by Cotswold Outdoor in the Uk and I found them brilliant. Nearly everyone I saw who wore running/trail/training shoesspent the first half hour every morning, bandaging blisters. I didnt! Seriously though, whatever you decide on have them fitted properly. This is not something you should pick up on the internet because they look good

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Excellent post Nicole........and for first-time pilgrims, please be mindful of villagers and keep those rubber tips on your poles; better yet, no poles at all. The constant clicking is can be extremely irritating.
Yes, almost as irritating as people criticizing others for using poles........... but not quite.

Good trail shoes (not boots), two poles, and 1000 mile socks. Worked for me last year. Very few (2) small blisters which were my own fault for not stopping to bandaid immediately.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
After 3 Camino's, the first 2 where I wore hiking boots and had allot of blisters I would recommend a good pair of trail shoes. Before departing make sure your shoes are well broken in and tested a few times for a few 20 kilometer walks.
In my Camino this year, I went with a pair of Merrill Moab and they were perfect. A couple of very minor blisters on a few toes, but the bottom of my feet were completely blister free.
My observation was the people I met that were having the worst foot issues were in almost 95% of the cases wearing some type of a boot.
On the Camino Frances route, on maybe 10% of the trail a boot would be preferable due to sharp rocks or lots of rock on the trail but the other 90% is fine in a trail runner Would rather have foot wear for the 90% of trail conditions than the other way around.
Hiking poles make a huge difference regardless of foot wear. See many not using them or a lot of people that seem to carry them on their packs and never use them which is a bit of a head scratcher.

If you get them from REI they will take your shoes back even if you wore them for 20 miles outside.

Choose a trail running shoe and read reviews by pros who test them. Make sure it has a thick enough sole for rocky terrain. I wore La Sportiva Helios Last year, have switched to La Sportiva Bushido for my next walk, with a slightly thicker sole. They are light and cool, exactly what you need on the Camino.
Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Good hiking boots from a reliable manufacturer and well fitted should be a goal. The footing, although I did not find it difficult, can be stressful on your knees and ankles. You could encounter muddy roads and ruts, slippery rocks as well as well ones, fields with stones and rocks. Good support and hiking poles will make the walk a pleasure. I love my Lowas, and have had excellent luck with Scarpa, Vasque and Merrill. Buen camino.

I've never found a comfortable pair of hiking boots. I wore boots for my first two Caminos, and never again.

I don't know if "a pound on the foot is equivalent to ten pounds on the back" has any scientific accuracy, but I always prefer light footwear. I found lightweight runners perfectly adequate for the Camino, as I now find sandals. It is important that the sole stand up to the amount of wear and not all sports shoes are equal in this regard, but my ASICs showed no signs of wear on the soles after walking from SJPDP to SDC.

I don't know if "a pound on the foot is equivalent to ten pounds on the back" has any scientific accuracy, but I always prefer light footwear.
I know of research by the US military that goes to this point. The factor of ten appears to be hyperbole - I recall the multiple being about half that and influenced by other factors. The conclusion that one should choose footwear to be as light as practicable for the conditions is valid in any case.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
My daughter and I will hopefully be walking the Camino next summer. I bought some REI hiking boots, which I used the first time a couple of weeks ago. We took a 5-mile hike and my feet hurt terribly. I walk 3 miles daily just wearing tennis shoes. I was wondering if it is absolutely necessary to wear hiking boots on the Camino. We will be starting in Spain as I have bad knees and I do not think I would be physically able to do the Pyrenees. Thanks for reading and giving any suggestions. They will be very much appreciated.[/QUO

I love your question. I fall rather easily. In fact I was complimented on The Camino last year how, when I fell, I could tuck and roll. . I wore boots because my weakness is in my ankles, so when the ground has rocks, pebbles, cobblestones, etc I lose my balance.

The boots were considerably heavier. I did fall. Nothing broke or twisted though.

I did purchase my boots at REI and had to try a couple of pairs before I came up with the correct ones. The best time for me to figure out the correct ones was when I had walked eight plus miles and then stumble in to the wonderful people at REI and they could see what the problem was.

I also strongly recommend the support socks for your arches.

I have walked the Camino twice, once with my daughter too, the best experience in the world with her! Both with tennis shoes, and both times I was not only peregrino on the Camino with tennis shoes but also both times I had blisters in both feet. First rule of thumb I learned the hard way is that you have to train your feet and your body in general real hard, at least three months in advance daily, prior to taking the Camino. The last week of training try to do it with your backpack weight on so your body will get used to the added weight too. This way you will get your feet and your body used to the Camino and you will not have as much body/muscle pains and your feet will create the necessary calluses. You need to put more miles on those hiking boots to break'em in. Also, they should be soft and comfortable and should not hurt your feet at all. As most here have said, it's up to you to decide tennis shoes or boots, but whichever, you have to train. BUEN CAMINO!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Boots and walking poles alwaise, I wouldn't start without them.
Buen camino peregrinos.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.