• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking clothes in Santiago?

lbpierce

Linda Breen Pierce
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
I arrived in Santiago today to complete the second Camino. I live in Mexico in an area where there are no great hiking clothes and thought about buying some here in Santiago if they exist. I will be here for two days. Thanks in advance for any tips.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Decathlon is a good medium priced sporting goods chain with shops throughout Europe. Much of my kit came from them. Their Santiago de Compostella branch is located at Calle/ Polonia No2, Tel : 981 89 75 16
See their web for more info. Presently they are having a summer sale!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There is a Decathalon about 5km from the cathedral. Its address is shown on their web site as
C/ POLONIA Nº2
15707 (414) SANTIAGO

A closer option is INTERSPORT AMANCIO, at
Rosalia de Castro, 38
15706 Santiago de Compostela, Spain

This appears to be about 900m from the cathedral.

Someone with better local knowledge might chip in with some other options.

Thank you Doug and Margaret. I'm off shopping today.

Where do you live in Mexico that you could not find a decent department store? I know Mexico is not Europe or the US but surely it has come a long way from just 10 or 20 years ago. I was just in Mexico (I love it by the way) and had no problem finding anything. To a fault really. Some of the color and grandeur or the old Mexico is falling by the way side to make room for newer developments. It is certainly a double edged sword.
Anyway, just wondering.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Where do you live in Mexico that you could not find a decent department store? I know Mexico is not Europe or the US but surely it has come a long way from just 10 or 20 years ago. I was just in Mexico (I love it by the way) and had no problem finding anything. To a fault really. Some of the color and grandeur or the old Mexico is falling by the way side to make room for newer developments. It is certainly a double edged sword.
Anyway, just wondering.
I live in Morelia, Michoacan, in the central highlands of Mexico, a UNESCO city of about 800,000. We have plenty of department stores, but they don't sell hiking clothes that are made of the materials that breathe well and dry quickly. I hike a lot in Mexico but I don't see a lot of Mexicans hiking in my area so there is not likely a demand for these types of clothes.

I did find some great finds at Intersport Amancio here in SAntiago yesterday at reasonable prices.

Title​
Start Date​
Replies​
Views​
Last Mess​

Decathlon is the value choice for Camino-related clothes and equipment in Santiago. It is located on the #C5 (not #5) OR #C6 (not #6) bus lines from the Plaza Galicia. Both bus routes are circular routes that list "Costa Vella" as the destination on the front of the bus.

Both buses cost 1 Euro each way. Both buses will let you off just behind the Decathlon store. Let the driver know you want to go to Decathlon. Between both schedules, you should be able to get a bus every 20-30 minutes.

Another option is to take the #6 (not the C6) bus from Plaza Galicia (direction Os Tilos) to the HUGE Hiperstore / Cortes de Ingles department store. It is HUGE. They carry hiking clothes but not as wide a choice as Decathlon. Also, the prices are a higher. Take the same bus across the street to get back to the Plaza Galicia.

I hope this helps someone...

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back