• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking Companion Needed-- start on October 1,2014

Mike Wasyliw

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan on hiking the Camino starting on October 1, 2014 in St. Jean in france and ending in Santiago de Compostella after 33 nightly stays in pilgrim hostels. I am looking for a HIKING COMPANION.
Looking for a hiking buddy to join me on October 1, 2014 to hike the 500 mile Camino starting at St. Jean and ending in Santiago de Compostella 33 days later. Mike Wasyliw from San Diego Ca.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Mike, welcome to the forum. You will have no shortage of walking companions once you reach St. Jean. Have a great Camino.
Buen Camino.

Mike,

As Wayfarer notes you will meet many other pilgrims in SJPdP especially at the pilgrim office of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle . In season the pilgrims office is open from 7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h. They can also provide you with a Credential, weather info, and on site lodging assistance. Their volunteers help run the albergue at 55 rue de la Citadelle. Recently renovated this is a fine place to stay, but they do NOT take reservations. If their albergue is full they will help you find other pilgrim lodgings when you are on site. They keep up to the minute lists of all available space throughout the SJPdP area.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We are a really nice bunch here in the Forum, if I may say so myself. However, do you really want to be saddled with one of us for over a month? You might realize after a day that you have picked the walking partner from hell; then what do you do? You will have a hundred people each day to choose from, and you can say adios to each other on a whim or very slender excuse, such as "I need to tighten my shoelace; maybe I'll see you in Ponferrada." I suggest that you do not start with a potential millstone from a random encounter on this website. People usually are not what they write. As Toulouse Lautrec said, "I hate to meet a man whose work I admire, for he always is so much less than his work." That is just my opinion. I could be wrong.

I agree with Falcon. I also had a walking partner lined up before I started walking. I was stuck with her the entire Camino. Good thing we were already married and got along great :D:D:D
On a serious note, you will meet all kinds of wonderful people, some of them you will even want to stay in contact with when your journey is over!! Buen Camino!!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes I agree with what they say , no need to be tied to anyone the Camino will provide !
Sometimes you would like to walk with other pilgrims and some time you would like to walk alone, don't worry you will enjoy and look forward for those moments.
Be open to your feelings , be open to be surprised moments to moments , be open to be surprised journey to journey!
Join the good and the no so good and learn from that, and remember everyone is welcome to the Camino.
Buen Camino.

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum. You will have no shortage of walking companions once you reach St. Jean. Have a great Camino.
Buen Camino.
Hello All,
Thanks for your kind replies. I was hoping I could connect with someone in the San Diego California area to do some conditioning hiking for the Camino. My wife would feel better if I had a hiking buddy that I could touch bases on a daily evening basis. I have attended 3 lectures on the Camino by hikers who have made the Camino, along with reading some good books by Shirley McClaine, Joyce Rupp, Kurt Koontz. I am very excited to do the Pilgrimage hike which has been on my Bucket List after I retired 3 years ago, and after reading Joyce Rupp's Walking in a Relaxed Manner 7 years ago.

Sorry, but forget about Shirley McLaine's book - it completely fantasy stuff and also outdated as current Camino situation is about. Like others have said, don't worry about finding a Camino buddy / family - more than 200,000 pilgrims walk it each year, so you will not be alone! Buen Camino, SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We are a really nice bunch here in the Forum, if I may say so myself. However, do you really want to be saddled with one of us for over a month? You might realize after a day that you have picked the walking partner from hell; then what do you do? You will have a hundred people each day to choose from, and you can say adios to each other on a whim or very slender excuse, such as "I need to tighten my shoelace; maybe I'll see you in Ponferrada." I suggest that you do not start with a potential millstone from a random encounter on this website. People usually are not what they write. As Toulouse Lautrec said, "I hate to meet a man whose work I admire, for he always is so much less than his work." That is just my opinion. I could be wrong.

I love this! Very wise. And, sadly, true.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thirty three days is a long time to spend with somebody you met online. A good friend of mine decided to join up with somebody he met on a bicycle touring forum to bicycle through Thailand. They both wrote blogs about their experiences. From my friend's point of view, his biking partner was an insecure narcissist who set each day up to prove once again that he was the faster biker. The other person's blog was full of aggravation about how slow my friend was on a bike, necessitating lots of wasted time waiting around. This sorry tale does have a happy ending -- they got "divorced" and never finished their trip together!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I could have just pressed "like"...but this post is genius!!! I love it!!! and just had to put that in words...

I definitely see the pros of having a companion...not so much for the actual walking, but for someone to be with that speaks the same language. Being a slow and out of condition walker, after 4 walking hours, I am spent physically, but that could make for a very long rest period until setting off again the next morning. I had my alone time while walking, I found that having human contact with conversation after is something I needed and felt very lonely.

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Please do check out the thread in the post by "wawpdx"!

The Camino puts demands on one very different from a short succession of day hikes.

I recently walked with a friend of 40 years. We know each other at our worst, what to expect and how to get back on track. That said, I am sure that he contemplated using me as a walking stick receptacle more than once. We cheerfully agreed in Santiago that, yes, were STILL good friends and that this must surely be a "Camino miracle".

There's little chance you will have a paucity of companions.

Buen Camino!

B

Just start walking, as long as you are not anti-social, you'll meet people that you mesh with.

Looking for a hiking buddy to join me on October 1, 2014 to hike the 500 mile Camino starting at St. Jean and ending in Santiago de Compostella 33 days later. Mike Wasyliw from San Diego Ca.

Hello, I am looking to leave either September or October. I am open to talking about it as I would love to have a companion.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello, I am looking to leave either September or October. I am open to talking about it as I would love to have a companion.
Hello Karen, I am planning on starting on October 4,2014 at St Jean with a small group from Nancy Reynolds "Just get me started" www.thecaminoexperience. Nancy had mentioned she would need at least 3 hikers to make it happen. Hope you might consider joining us. Thanks

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back