• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking dresses?

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I had what I think is a brilliant idea. I was thinking about sleepwear for the Camino, and I normally like to sleep in a tank top type short knit gown. Then I thought about what I like wearing in the summer during the day, which is a short tank top style dress, and thought, why not just bring two knee length shirt T shirt style dresses for walking and sleeping? I would switch from tank style to T shirt style because of the back pack straps. I can make these myself out of lightweight Merino wool fabric, and I'd put some zippered pockets in them. I'd wear leggings during the day, and if I get hot, I can easily take the leggings off. I would just sleep in the dress that I'm planning to wear the next day. I'll be walking late August through September.

So basically the clothing I would take would be
2 T shirt dresses
1 0r 2 leggings
1 lightweight fleece
1 long sleeved collared button up sun protection shirt
1 ultralight windbreaker
Raingear - Altus poncho/coat? and/or umbrella
3 pair underwear
3 pair socks
2 bras

BTW, I came up with this idea last week while I was on vacation in Mexico. By coincidence, one day while I was swimming in the ocean there was a boat anchored near the beach. As I swam by I noticed it's name: Peregrina!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It could work but I would try it first. Have you hiked in a dress before? Make sure you hike for several hours at least and see if you feel comfortable while walking in possible wind, rain, traffic, and while taking rest stop along the way.

Whatever works for you, works!
Buen Camino.

I had what I think is a brilliant idea. I was thinking about sleepwear for the Camino, and I normally like to sleep in a tank top type short knit gown. Then I thought about what I like wearing in the summer during the day, which is a short tank top style dress, and thought, why not just bring two knee length shirt T shirt style dresses for walking and sleeping? I would switch from tank style to T shirt style because of the back pack straps. I can make these myself out of lightweight Merino wool fabric, and I'd put some zippered pockets in them. I'd wear leggings during the day, and if I get hot, I can easily take the leggings off. I would just sleep in the dress that I'm planning to wear the next day. I'll be walking late August through September.

2 T shirt dresses
1 0r 2 leggings
1 lightweight fleece
1 ultralight windbreaker
3 pair underwear
3 pair socks
2 bras

BTW, I came up with this idea last week while I was on vacation in Mexico. By coincidence, one day while I was swimming in the ocean there was a boat anchored near the beach. As I swam by I noticed it's name: Peregrina!
I too like dresses for walking and make my own. Remember to put your pockets lower down so you can access them with your rucsac belt on

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am doing just that this year. Last year I switched to walking in a skirt instead of trousers, and this year I am going to bring two tank style merino dresses, two merino T-shirts to wear over because of the straps (and for warmth), capri and full length running tights and a pair of merino tights for evening/laundry wear/sleeping in, plus the warmer layers and rain gear - poncho plus light weight gaiters to keep the tights dry. Went for a walk in this outfit and full pack the other day, on tarmac and in the rain, and though I forgot to put the gaiters on (rookie mistake) and got my legs wet, the rest of me was warm, dry and comfortable. Another major reason to try it out was to make sure that the dress didn't ride up under the pack and it didn't. I also have another merino dress, warmer and more normal looking, and might still take that for travel and evenings. No more walking in trousers for me!

I met a girl who wore a long tshirt jerseylike material in the evenings and at night. She had planned on walking with them but because of the backpack it would rise up during the day and had to be pulled down constantly. So yes, try it at home with backpack before leaving.

I met a girl who wore a long tshirt jerseylike material in the evenings and at night. She had planned on walking with them but because of the backpack it would rise up during the day and had to be pulled down constantly. So yes, try it at home with backpack before leaving.
Thanks. I will definitely be trying everything out at home first!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Great thread! I've only just started to plan my walk for next year however I just love packing lists so I've already been thinking hard about clothing to bring and was also planning to find a teeshirt style dress that would suffice for sleeping in, after showers, rest days (if any), wearing with running tights or icebreaker capri style short-johns.

I realise that the dress should be of a material that will dry easily, be lightweight, be comfy enough to sleep in, give my fair skinned shoulders protection from the sun and backpack straps etc. I hadn't even thought about merino wool as the material, that sounds great.

Any pointers about what dresses would fit all these requirements would be great.

Miriam

Great thread! I've only just started to plan my walk for next year however I just love packing lists so I've already been thinking hard about clothing to bring and was also planning to find a teeshirt style dress that would suffice for sleeping in, after showers, rest days (if any), wearing with running tights or icebreaker capri style short-johns.

I realise that the dress should be of a material that will dry easily, be lightweight, be comfy enough to sleep in, give my fair skinned shoulders protection from the sun and backpack straps etc. I hadn't even thought about merino wool as the material, that sounds great.

Any pointers about what dresses would fit all these requirements would be great.

Miriam
Look at the tennis or golf sections of your sporting good store - I hike in skirts and dresses with short or long tights depending on the weather and love not having a bulky pants waistline

I have seen many women with their dresses being gradually hitched and bunched under a backpack. Not so bad if you have tights on but you may not want your undies on display! A skirt and a T over top may be safer

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
While I don't hike in my travel dress, I do really like having it. Its a Merino dress, and it is super comfortable to lounge/sleep/be a tourist in. Its basically like a long knee length t- shirt, with a removable belt. (that can be left behind to save on weight if you want) Its only downfall is no pockets. But I use a waist pack while walking, and just keep using it in the evenings as well.

I just learned about Macabi skirts last year & found 2 on sale. So my Sis & I have been training in them as a test. They've worked quite well but develop static cling when wearing certain legging materials under the skirt. We live in Texas where the heat can be brutal but skirts have proven to be cooler than hiking pants or even shorts. I'm tempted to buy one more but price is prohibitive (unless I find one on Craig's list or a travel forum).

I really like the idea of a Merino wool t-shirt dress for lounging & sleep (been looking on various travel & women's clothing sites for something similar). Unfortunately I'm no seamstress so if anyone finds a commercially produced version, please let me know.

Buen [non-pant] Camino!

I just learned about Macabi skirts last year & found 2 on sale. So my Sis & I have been training in them as a test. They've worked quite well but develop static cling when wearing certain legging materials under the skirt. We live in Texas where the heat can be brutal but skirts have proven to be cooler than hiking pants or even shorts. I'm tempted to buy one more but price is prohibitive (unless I find one on Craig's list or a travel forum).

I really like the idea of a Merino wool t-shirt dress for lounging & sleep (been looking on various travel & women's clothing sites for something similar). Unfortunately I'm no seamstress so if anyone finds a commercially produced version, please let me know.

Buen [non-pant] Camino!
Icebreaker makes several styles of dresses: http://www.icebreaker.com/en/womens-dresses-skirts

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Mine are Icebreaker Cruise tank dresses but they don't seem to make them anymore. The new tech lite dresses look good and they do have some with sleeves. I am not affiliated with the brand in any way but I have to say though they do cost a bit they do wash and wear very well and I will buy again if I manage to wear out any of the ones I have.

I walk in a skirt and one thing to consider is length. Mine are mid-calf length and while they don't ride up under the pack, they can creep up the legs, especially in the wind. I've just spent the last few days on the Meseta remembering about this. Even more interestingly, they can fly up showing way more than you want to have on display. And knee-length may be even more likely to blow around. The wind can howl out here so best best try best try them out first in a good gale! Someone also mentioned the clingon effect. It's definitely an issue with some leggings so do check.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have a Purple Rain adventure skirt. It is knee length, wicking, quick drying and has a number of pockets. Another reason I like it is the yoga waist band. It does not ride up under the backpack. I just love it and will be wearing it on the Portuguese Camino in 2 weeks.

You can see my Camino-skirt below. I have used it for 5 Camino. I prefer skirt to trousers because they are cooler. The next Camino will begin 14.th April, if God will.

Attachments

• 20140503_084102_HDR.jpg
    20140503_084102_HDR.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 152
I have a Purple Rain adventure skirt. It is knee length, wicking, quick drying and has a number of pockets. Another reason I like it is the yoga waist band. It does not ride up under the backpack. I just love it and will be wearing it on the Portuguese Camino in 2 weeks.
I'll be wearing my Purple Rain adventure skirt on the Portuguese Camino in two weeks as well Lisa. I love it! I'm starting from Lisbon so might see you on the trail.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'll be wearing my Purple Rain adventure skirt on the Portuguese Camino in two weeks as well Lisa. I love it! I'm starting from Lisbon so might see you on the trail.
We arrive in Lisboa on the 20th and start walking on the 22nd. We will be following the costa littoral route. I will look out for a "purple rain " skirt

I am not taking off until after Easter of next year but being a dressmaker I have already started thinking about my clothing choices. I live in Arizona and was inspired a few of years ago by the female river guides in the Grand Canyon to start hiking in skorts - athletic ones - so they have a yoga type top band and built in shorts. LOVE them. In thinking about the Camino I think I am going to make a couple without the shorts attached then make 3 or 4 pairs of coordinating shorts to wear underneath. Would allow a little more 'privacy' for trailside piddles and I can easily substitute longer leggings if appropriate. I will be making 'camp' style long sleeve shirts of sun protective materials similar to the ones I already made for my Grand Canyon hikes. Thoughts?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Have you had an issue with your dresses riding up from the backpack?
Also, what length and style works for you?
Hi trecile, so didn't have a problem with them riding up, and I went for around or just above knee length, by the time the waist band on my rucsac is done up it brings the length up a bit

I'm excited to start sewing a prototype dress, but my sewing machine broke down.:(

I bought a super lightweight wicking t shirt that is sort of black and white stripes with black raglan sleeves. I am going to attach solid black fabric at the bottom to create a dress. I am going to put pockets on the side with zippers. Not patch pockets, but the inside kind. I was thinking of having another pocket towards the front that can only be accessed from inside for carrying valuables.
Now I just need to get my sewing machine back from the repair shop!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sounds great! Make sure you don't have any seams under the waist belt of the pack though or it might rub. And let us know how you get on!

I've finished one dress. It's made of merino wool, and has two zip pockets on the front, low enough to be out of the way of my hip belt. I also put a hidden pocket on the inside for emergency cash/credit card.

View attachment 28052
That is lovely. I think you could start s business. I've been looking for something like that for biking.

I've finished one dress. It's made of merino wool, and has two zip pockets on the front, low enough to be out of the way of my hip belt. I also put a hidden pocket on the inside for emergency cash/credit card.

View attachment 28052
That looks Great, ideal

Love it - merlino wool is the perfect fabric. Bueno Camino!
Thanks!

I'm going to make one more. I will wear them with leggings when it's cold/cool, and alone when it's warm/hot. And also to sleep in. Hopefully that works out for me! I figured that if I do need more traditional hiking clothing I can always buy it in Spain, but I couldn't buy these dresses there. :)

I'm also bringing a lightweight merino wool cardigan, a Uniqlo UV Cut hoodie, and an ultralight windbreaker. I think that those layers will give me versatility.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I

2 T shirt dresses
1 0r 2 leggings
1 lightweight fleece
1 ultralight windbreaker
3 pair underwear
3 pair socks
2 bras

BTW, I came up with this idea last week while I was on vacation in Mexico. By coincidence, one day while I was swimming in the ocean there was a boat anchored near the beach. As I swam by I noticed it's name: Peregrina![/QUOTE

2 T shirt dresses
1 0r 2 leggings
1 lightweight fleece
1 ultralight windbreaker
3 pair underwear
3 pair socks
2 bras

I am from Canada and we have a store called Sportcheck. They had a great wick-away black tank top dress with even a zippered pocket. I thought it would great with leggings. Didn't buy it but I think I will go back shopping today. I was planning to bring a skirt.

Thanks!

I'm going to make one more. I will wear them with leggings when it's cold/cool, and alone when it's warm/hot. And also to sleep in. Hopefully that works out for me! I figured that if I do need more traditional hiking clothing I can always buy it in Spain, but I couldn't buy these dresses there. :)

I'm also bringing a lightweight merino wool cardigan, a Uniqlo UV Cut hoodie, and an ultralight windbreaker. I think that those layers will give me versatility.
Yes, sounds good packing plan. I did it 3 dresses, 2 leggings (next time will only take one) silk vest, silk long sleeve base layer, cardigan and light rab micro feather jacket, (mid April to May on Frances) and was ideal

My comment may be a wee bit off topic as it is more to do with the recommended laundering of the wool dress after the Camino. I've see lots of advice to use a hot wash on Camino clothing in order to reduce the chances of bringing bed bugs into your home upon your arrival. Have you considered doing the bed bug detoxing of your pack and gear when you return home and if so how will you treat the merino wool items?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Merino wool items - and other high temperature sensitive items - can always go in a freezer for a week ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Merino wool items - and other high temperature sensitive items - can always go in a freezer for a week ;-) Buen Camino, SY
Thanks for that good advice! @SYates I've since read a good wee kindle book on packing (you might know it) and learnt more good tips ;-)

Me thinks that I know the book you are referring to - glad it proved useful to you! Buen Camino, SY

€46,-
Very interesting thread! Reading this while waiting outside in the 90s and high humidity and cannot fathom the idea of wearing wool. I've yet to try merino wool anything. Have not sewn in years, but the dress posted above would not intimidate me as a re-entry point. Where do you find merino wool material & what weight would work in May Camino weather? I am most comfortable in leggings and tunics. Usually wear Danskin supplex except in our summers when Saucony capris are cooler (although not a waistband I'd want to wear more than a few hours. I am walking SJPdP to Burgos, so hopefully not too hot. Love the girly threads like this one. (p.s. I,too, took much delight in the little Kindle book.)

I've been on the Camino now for 2.5 weeks with my dresses. I love walking in them. They have been very comfortable to wear, even when it's 95 F/35 C degrees. The fabric is t-shirt weight, and you wouldn't know that it's wool by looking at it. I ordered the fabric from this site: http://www.newzealandmerinoandfabrics.com/, and it's 160/gsm

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Athletic wear shops/online for wicking/tech material skirts and dresses--look in tennis and running sections. I can't speak from experience (I wear shorts) but my friend only runs in running skirts and dresses (they come with built-in shorts). I like climbing on things too much to wear a dress, but I bet it would be cool on hot days.

I'm wearing a pair of lightweight running type shorts underneath during the day while I walk.
I think that built in shorts would be a pain in the... and defeat the concept of wearing a dress. For me at least.

I agree with @trecile - the main point of wearing a dress/skirt for me is that the layer underneath is interchangeable - short or long running tights for walking, merino tights in the evening. If the two layers are connected, you still have to use them together and wash both if one needs a wash, so less flexibility and versatility. However lots of people like their skorts and as long as it suits you that is fine. I am just saying consider it before you buy.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I wear a sarong...
Actually, I usually have 2 or 3 of them :)
More as a skirt when I walk, as a dress at the stage.
And it has 1001 others uses... Love it!

full

My comment may be a wee bit off topic as it is more to do with the recommended laundering of the wool dress after the Camino. I've see lots of advice to use a hot wash on Camino clothing in order to reduce the chances of bringing bed bugs into your home upon your arrival. Have you considered doing the bed bug detoxing of your pack and gear when you return home and if so how will you treat the merino wool items?
I did prewash the fabric before sewing the dresses, and when I discovered bedbugs in the albergue one morning I washed and dried the dresses along with everything else in a hot wash and dryer with no ill effects.
I'm already designing my hiking dress 2.0 in my mind for my next Camino, and possibly to start a little cottage business. :)

... I'm already designing my hiking dress 2.0 in my mind for my next Camino, and possibly to start a little cottage business. :)

Seriously, have a look at Etsy.com for that - you might be up for a winner! Buen Camino, SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I love hiking in a skirt, skort or dress--so much more versatile and comfortable than traditional pants, IMHO. I layer tights underneath for cool mornings or cold days. Also, I find the waist to be less bulky under the pack's waistbelt. No wonder the Scots wore kilts ;)

hi Trecile
Please let us know if you start your cottage business. There might be some clients here.
Also curious about the changes you would make for version 2.0.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
hi Trecile
Please let us know if you start your cottage business. There might be some clients here.
Also curious about the changes you would make for version 2.0.
Actually, I wouldn't change a lot. I'd make the pockets roomy enough to hold my passport if I wanted it there. And my hidden, secret pocket was only accessible from inside the dress. I might change that do that I could get to it from the outer zipper pocket.
I'd appreciate any suggestions for what others might like in a trekking dress.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.