• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking pants

Millszey

Time of past OR future Camino
I am going on my first Camino in September 2016
I am starting to train for my first Camino and was wondering about hiking pants. Does anyone have any experience with good pants and what made them stand out? I have until September 2016 to train but wanted to make sure I purchased the correct pants the first time around

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I hiked the Camino in Kuhl convertible pants. I liked them, but they were too hot for summer (July/Aug. 2014). Probably would be okay for September, although I do not know from personal experience. One caveat: the "steath zipper" will not stay stealth very long, so you really cannot wear them around the city (as advertised).

In the summer, I never converted them into shorts--the sun was too intense and it was actually cooler if I left them long so the sun stayed off my skin. Ironically, in September, that might be less of an issue and the convertible aspect might be welcome.

I'd also look at RailRiders. Personally, I have gone back to a really thin pair of nylon long pants that are old, but I cannot find anything lighter currently on the market.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

I've used the Craghopper Pro Stretch for a while after trying a half a dozen others over the years. My main criteria are must look like normal pants, must be light, should be cool in summer and tough and flexible enough for bushwalking.

Pass with distinction on all points. And they are reasonably priced.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I look for pockets deep and strong enough to ditch the need for a bag in cities. It is easy to put down or forget a bag, whereas I don't take my clothes off! Hence a Macabi skirt or Mont pants.

I recommend that any pants considered for walking the Camino be fairly loosely fitted, with plenty of room to move and bend, and have the following properties:

Material - 100 % nylon or similar synthetic cloth as it dries FAST and does not hold stains. Ideally the material should impart some UV protection too, but that is secondary to utility.

Colour - Recommend olive and medium to charcoal grey, and possibly a dark khaki. Black and white show too much grime and stains. You are not on a fashion parade.

Design - Lower pants legs must zip off. The better designs have TWO zips (See REI's "Safari" model pants); one zip to open the leg top to bottom, and another running around the leg. This setup precludes having to remove your boots. Also, the lower pants legs can be laundered separately or more often as needed. This obviates the need for gaiters most of the time.

Features -
  • More belt loops are better than fewer; seven are better than five...more loops support LOADED pants weight easier and are less likely to tear as the weight is spread among extra stress points. I also use nylon "keepers" to fasten my rucksack waist belt to my pants belt at the front in two places to stop the pants from sagging and dragging in the mud - I HATE MUD!
  • Belt loop width should support using a 38 mm (1 1/2 inch) nylon web belt. Most money belts are either 32 or 38 mm wide ( 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 inch). I use a brown, nylon, webbed money belt that is 1 1/4 inch wide (@32 mm).
  • Waist fastening buttons are better than snaps; and a double closure, internal button or hook with exterior snap is typical.
  • More pockets are MUCH better than fewer pockets. My REI "Safari" slacks are three years old and have been redesigned in recent years. The older design had more protected, zippered pockets for valuables and emergency medication like aspirin to treat a heart attack, or an emergency stash of my personal medications.
  • Deeper side cargo and side hand pockets are far better than shallower pockets. Try to find a pair of pants with cargo pockets deep enough to hold a Brierley Camino guide (for example), at least far enough to preclude it easily falling out of the pocket. Side cargo pockets should be at least deep enough to hold a smart phone, passport and your pilgrim credential in a sturdy zip lock bag. For bags that will hold most mobile phones, pilgrim credentials and national passports, see:
https://loksak.myshopify.com/collections/aloksak/products/aloksak-2

They are available at many outdoor stores too. I have seen them at AS Adventure in Belgium and Decathlon in Spain.
  • Button fastening side cargo and rear pockets are superior to velcro IMHO. Velcro patches work loose, but buttons are easier to repair and replace if need be. My slacks have velcro but I wish they had buttons.
  • Pants need not be a heavyweight material. Thin synthetic material is sufficient. I usually walk in April and May, and have encountered snow at elevation many times. As long as you keep your torso, head and feet dry and warm, you will be fine.
I regard pants as part of my overall load carrying system and solution for a Camino. I assess them accordingly. All year long, between Caminos, I am on the lookout for something that will improve over my REI "Safari" model slacks from 2013. I have yet to find something better. If anyone has a constructive suggestion, please share it.

As an FYI, in April 2015, I walked the Porto to Santiago route wearing 5.11 brand tactical slacks, saved from when I was working. Even though they were the lighter, rip-stop cotton-poly blend they did not work as well as the REI pants. They were heavier, hotter, and slower to dry. Arguably, they were much "tougher." However, on the Camino, IMHO one is trying to reduce weight and maintain modesty. All else is secondary. Function is primary to fashion. Having the right item immediately close to hand in a crisis could prevent injury or even save a life. It certainly enhances the Camino experience to be able to bring a digital camera to bear quickly, or be able to access a mobile phone if you should need to dial 112 in an emergency.

I pack and load everything to follow that rule. The rucksack ONLY comes off my back at a formal rest stop or at the end of the day. I intentionally arrange everything I carry and how I carry it to maintain that profile. Everything I might need during the day while walking is attached to the FRONT of my harness or on my person, IN MY WELL-THOUGHT OUT PANTS.

I hope this helps.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I recommend that any pants considered for walking the Camino be fairly loosely fitted, with plenty of room to move and bend, and have the following properties:

Material - 100 % nylon or similar synthetic cloth as it dries FAST and does not hold stains. Ideally the material should impart some UV protection too, but that is secondary to utility.

Colour - Recommend olive and medium to charcoal grey, and possibly a dark khaki. Black and white show too much grime and stains. You are not on a fashion parade.

Design - Lower pants legs must zip off. The better designs have TWO zips (See REI's "Safari" model pants); one zip to open the leg top to bottom, and another running around the leg. This setup precludes having to remove your boots. Also, the lower pants legs can be laundered separately or more often as needed. This obviates the need for gaiters most of the time.

Features -
  • More belt loops are better than fewer; seven are better than five...more loops support LOADED pants weight easier and are less likely to tear as the weight is spread among extra stress points. I also use nylon "keepers" to fasten my rucksack waist belt to my pants belt at the front in two places to stop the pants from sagging and dragging in the mud - I HATE MUD!
  • Belt loop width should support using a 38 mm (1 1/2 inch) nylon web belt. Most money belts are either 32 or 38 mm wide ( 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 inch). I use a brown, nylon, webbed money belt that is 1 1/4 inch wide (@32 mm).
  • Waist fastening buttons are better than snaps; and a double closure, internal button or hook with exterior snap is typical.
  • More pockets are MUCH better than fewer pockets. My REI "Safari" slacks are three years old and have been redesigned in recent years. The older design had more protected, zippered pockets for valuables and emergency medication like aspirin to treat a heart attack, or an emergency stash of my personal medications.
  • Deeper side cargo and side hand pockets are far better than shallower pockets. Try to find a pair of pants with cargo pockets deep enough to hold a Brierley Camino guide (for example), at least far enough to preclude it easily falling out of the pocket. Side cargo pockets should be at least deep enough to hold a smart phone, passport and your pilgrim credential in a sturdy zip lock bag. For bags that will hold most mobile phones, pilgrim credentials and national passports, see:

They are available at many outdoor stores too. I have seen them at AS Adventure in Belgium and Decathlon in Spain.
  • Button fastening side cargo and rear pockets are superior to velcro IMHO. Velcro patches work loose, but buttons are easier to repair and replace if need be. My slacks have velcro but I wish they had buttons.
  • Pants need not be a heavyweight material. Thin synthetic material is sufficient. I usually walk in April and May, and have encountered snow at elevation many times. As long as you keep your torso, head and feet dry and warm, you will be fine.
I regard pants as part of my overall load carrying system and solution for a Camino. I assess them accordingly. All year long, between Caminos, I am on the lookout for something that will improve over my REI "Safari" model slacks from 2013. I have yet to find something better. If anyone has a constructive suggestion, please share it.

As an FYI, in April 2015, I walked the Porto to Santiago route wearing 5.11 brand tactical slacks, saved from when I was working. Even though they were the lighter, rip-stop cotton-poly blend they did not work as well as the REI pants. They were heavier, hotter, and slower to dry. Arguably, they were much "tougher." However, on the Camino, IMHO one is trying to reduce weight and maintain modesty. All else is secondary. Function is primary to fashion. Having the right item immediately close to hand in a crisis could prevent injury or even save a life. It certainly enhances the Camino experience to be able to bring a digital camera to bear quickly, or be able to access a mobile phone if you should need to dial 112 in an emergency.

I pack and load everything to follow that rule. The rucksack ONLY comes off my back at a formal rest stop or at the end of the day. I intentionally arrange everything I carry and how I carry it to maintain that profile. Everything I might need during the day while walking is attached to the FRONT of my harness or on my person, IN MY WELL-THOUGHT OUT PANTS.

I hope this helps.

WOW! That is amazing, I am so impressed (again)! :)

I haven't done the Camino yet, but did a lot of walking in South America, for which I bought convertible pants. I personally did not like them. Perhaps it was the brand (I don't recall the name), but the zippers were awkward and uncomfortable. I plan to wear capri-length pants for my walk in April/May.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I haven't done the Camino yet, but did a lot of walking in South America, for which I bought convertible pants. I personally did not like them. Perhaps it was the brand (I don't recall the name), but the zippers were awkward and uncomfortable. I plan to wear capri-length pants for my walk in April/May.
The model I wear and have been wearing since my fist Camino do not have zippwred legs but rather straps on the inner sides and bottons so you can roll up the legs all the way up to the knees. Saves on the weight of the zippers and allows for the beautiful Camino calf tan

The old ones died inadvetantly on my 4th Camino, the material had gotten too thin. The newer ones are stiffer and makes a rustling noise. A bit annoying but I still love them. The material is treated with something called Aerocool which apparently helps wick mlisture away from the body. Key features are the pockets: regular ones on the sides pils cargo pockets that close with a button on eqch side. Money for the day goes in one, important docs and extra money amd credit cards in the other. Iphone can stay in small side pocket for easy access to take photos.

If walking the CF you'll be ok with shorts, but on the Primitivo you would end up covered in cuts and scrapes because there is more vegetation, and prickly vegetation you have to walk through.

Almost every hiking pants are equal in advantages next to their competitors. What is it you are looking for? Convertible hiking pants, quick drying, deep pockets or secure pockets? I prefer pants that allow me to secure my wallet in a Paris subway or else where. Go to any number of outlets and try the pants on. What might be great for 1000 people may not be best for your wants. Take the time to investigate your needs.

WOW and thank you all for the information. I am going to take it all in, get to the store and buy some hiking pants.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My primary pants-selection criterion is a smooth, low volume waistband. I find that thicker waistbands cause me to sweat at the waistband/backpack waist belt junction, often causing the waistband to bunch up, eventually leading to sores in the hipbone area. I'd prefer to go with pants without any belt loops etc., but given the expected weight loss on the camino, that could lead to other, more embarrassing problems.

try on your pants at home WITH YOUR FULLY LOADED PACK AND TIGHTENED HIP BELT.

I remember painfully a backpacking trip where my seemingly-nifty new hiking shorts had little adjusting buckles located right on the hips-- exactly where by pack's hip belt squeezed me. Ouch! After trying to adjust the shorts so they buckles were below the belt, causing my pants to low-ride, I eventually got out my swiss army knife and cut the buckles off completely.

Lesson: avoid pants/shorts with any sort of buckle, belt, or other hard lumpy material that will be under the pack's hip belt. Don't wear a belt. I now only use elastic and/or thin-string-tie pants/shorts.

Note that a backpack's hip belt should be worn high, above the hips, so it is transferring 80% of the pack's weight into your hip bones (especially true for men; women's wider hips are more conical and can carry weight via the more horizontal flesh above and around the hips). By carrying the weight on the hips, which connect via bone compression to the ground, no muscles are carrying the weight, only bone. Only 20% of weight should be on your shoulders (where the trapezius muscle has to actually carry the weight from your spine at your neck). In other words, the belt should be around the belly button (on men).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have use all sorts of pants in my long hikes, cargo pants, split pants, ultra light pants you name it I used it, except I don't use shorts because if I fall I want a little protection from road rash ever little bit helps. What I have I found that works beautifully for me is Tights by DW-X (revolution) is a performance tights, granted us men in tights its kind funny looking but I don't care hahaha, no pockets (less junk to carry) in wet weather the water forms a little barrier and actually keeps you warm and dries very fast too and its supper comfortable :) and the material helps with blood circulation and muscle fatigue.

ZZotte

Maybe I am missing something. Is there any issue with just bringing shorts? I will be hiking in the spring. If the weather turns cold I usually just put on my rain pants or lightweight thermal bottoms (under my shorts).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Maybe I am missing something. Is there any issue with just bringing shorts? I will be hiking in the spring. If the weather turns cold I usually just put on my rain pants or lightweight thermal bottoms (under my shorts).

shorts perfect.. I wear and many other just wear shorts on camino the times your going

Features -

I hope this helps.

Thank you for a fantastic, easy to read, well thought out post! Super helpful. I tried locating the REI "Safari" model and it looks like it's been replaced or discontinued by the "Sahara" model. Hopefully these will work out for me. Thanks again for your post!

If you like hiking in shorts possibly buy two identical pairs of zip-off pants, take both but only one pair of bottoms. When wearing the bottoms to church or such attach them to the cleanest top. I didn't wear zip-offs for ages because I never found a pair where the zippers felt good against the knees. My guidebook was able to be kept in my shirt pocket. If you like @Anniesantiago's route remember, kilts must be worn at mid-knee. ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Don't wear a belt. I now only use elastic and/or thin-string-tie pants/shorts.

Merciful heavens! If I tried that, my pants would be down around my knees by the third step...:oops::(

I wear "tactical pants" every day. (I'm retired; there's nobody I need to impress....) They're comfortable, have more pockets than you can count, and wear like iron. The ripstop polycotton fabric dries pretty quickly. I wear them with a belt: sometimes leather, sometimes webbing.

Over the past couple of decades I have tried several brands of those "convertible" pants. In every case, with long periods of walking, the leg zippers worked out of their coverings and began chafing.

Last edited:
snip......Lower pants legs must zip off. The better designs have TWO zips (See REI's "Safari" model pants); one zip to open the leg top to bottom, and another running around the leg. ......

I believe that the REI pants are "Sahara", not "Safari". I agree with you on the quality and utility of these pants. I have three different pair. :)

That's what I have hiked and backpacked in for over 5,000 trail miles. I use lightweight running shorts with an interior liner. If it gets a bit too chilly, lightweight merino wool thermals (about 6.5 ounces in weight) go under the shorts. If it is simply rainy, but not cold, my rain kilt covers my legs. My rain kilt also gets worn if I'm hiking through wet brush or grasses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those who corrected me ARE correct. The REI cargo pants with two zips ARE named "Sahara" NOT "Safari."

My bad...sorry...

I just finished the Camino Portuguese from Lisbon, and am in Santiago recovering. Today, on Rua do Vilar, I saw two women wearing cargo pants with TWO ZIPS. The vertical zip was on the inseam, not on the outseam of the legs, as is the case with the REI pants.

Unfortunately, I did not think to approach them to ask what brand pants that were wearing. If anyone has a clue, please contribute to this thread.

Thanks.

Features -

I hope this helps.
Big help!! Thx!!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.