• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking Pole Modifications

Paintboy2

Time of past OR future Camino
I'm currently on my 4th Camino, this one The Way of St. Francis, LaVerna, Italy to Assisi to Rome.
Some people asked about my hiking poles. I have added a few things that I find very helpful on my walks, especially here in Italy where I have done some road walking.
1. I have mounted a 90° LED light so that I can see where I'm going when I leave early or get in late. This is a very bright light that runs off an AAA battery and lasts usually a whole trip. I also use it if I am road walking so that cars can see me. Also, I occasionally need a handy light at night. I only use it then if I'm not in a communal room. It's really bright.
2. I have an elastic mounted rechargeable flashing Red LED that I use all day long so that cars, motorcycles, bicycles, etc. can see me from a long way off. I'm sold on how well this works to warn others of my presence, and, it's rechargeable
3. I have a 1/4" gimble mount at the bottom for mounting my OSMO POCKET video camera. Great for vloging or action shots.
4. I have wrapped about 15' of 250lb. paracord around my pole for emergency use.
I've used everything but the paracord on all of my trips and I would add these simple items to any poles I used. They no weight but are extremely helpful.

I know, I have a problem.20190714_183023.jpg20190714_182855.jpg20190714_182642.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm puzzled about how the light works since you are swinging a pole all the time. I'd rather have a lightweight head lamp for seeing where I'm going. And a piece of reflective tape goes a long way to making you visible without using an extra light and doesn't need to be recharged. Just personal opinion of course.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm currently on my 4th Camino, this one The Way of St. Francis, LaVerna, Italy to Assisi to Rome.
Some people asked about my hiking poles. I have added a few things that I find very helpful on my walks, especially here in Italy where I have done some road walking.
1. I have mounted a 90° LED light so that I can see where I'm going when I leave early or get in late. This is a very bright light that runs off an AAA battery and lasts usually a whole trip. I also use it if I am road walking so that cars can see me. Also, I occasionally need a handy light at night. I only use it then if I'm not in a communal room. It's really bright.
2. I have an elastic mounted rechargeable flashing Red LED that I use all day long so that cars, motorcycles, bicycles, etc. can see me from a long way off. I'm sold on how well this works to warn others of my presence, and, it's rechargeable
3. I have a 1/4" gimble mount at the bottom for mounting my OSMO POCKET video camera. Great for vloging or action shots.
4. I have wrapped about 15' of 250lb. paracord around my pole for emergency use.
I've used everything but the paracord on all of my trips and I would add these simple items to any poles I used. They no weight but are extremely helpful.

I know, I have a problem.View attachment 61397View attachment 61398View attachment 61399
Hi Paintboy2:

I did kind the same with my poles. Added frontal lights to see where I was going and to be noticed by moving vehicles. My motives were more concerned with my safety as, I began walking early in the morning with very low lights at the time.

Keep on going!

I'm puzzled about how the light works since you are swinging a pole all the time. I'd rather have a lightweight head lamp for seeing where I'm going. And a piece of reflective tape goes a long way to making you visible without using an extra light and doesn't need to be recharged. Just personal opinion of course.
Reflective tape doesnt reflect anything in daylight. The flashing red LED has been very effective during daytime road walking and the 90° pole light allows one to look at a person without blinding them. Just my experience of course but I've been very happy with them.

@Paintboy2, thank you so much for sharing the photos and information. we're getting ready to leave in just about 10 days and are considering buying our poles in Spain. Excellent ideas you have!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have bells on my poles to hide the noise of the tips hitting the road. And I have a horn to hide the noise of the bells.
No indicators or brake lights? Shame!

Before I became converted to PacerPoles I used this:

Action pole.jpg

The action-cam is mounted on a standard hiking pole rubber and can be pushed on in an instant (useful for getting shots over people's heads). The poles are personalised with StiXskins which are OK but, I found, don't last without a clear tape on top.

I've used these bike lights in the past

1563610671442.png

which can be set to dim/bright/flash at various rates but can be intensely annoying for anybody walking behind you - they are LEZYNE cycle lamps

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Paintboy2, thank you so much for sharing the photos and information. we're getting ready to leave in just about 10 days and are considering buying our poles in Spain. Excellent ideas you have!
If you are going over the Pyrenees from St
Jean, you should buy the poles there. You will find them very useful on both uphill and downhill.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.