• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking pole rubber tips wearing out too quickly

rgutena

Time of past OR future Camino
Next: Portuguese (Coastal)
Dear fellow Camino walkers,

On the Camino, I usually use my walking pole with the rubber tip on to reduce the noise it makes on paved roads and paths. But it wears out very quickly. Typically, after 2 days and a distance of about 50km, I start to see the metal tip of my pole emerging. I have tried to find rubber tips that are more long lasting, but the ones I have seen all look similar to those I have got.

I also wonder if I have been using my pole incorrectly, which wears out the rubber tip more quickly than it would otherwise.

Grateful for any advice on a good brand for rubber tips, or appropriate pole use, to address this. Thank you!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I had the same problem initially. I even tried putting metal washers inside the tips.

The easy solution is to buy the tips made from 'hard' rubber, not soft rubber.
You can easily feel the difference when you find them.

I found them in Zubiri. But there are loads on Amazon.

I had the same problem initially. I even tried putting metal washers inside the tips.

The easy solution is to buy the tips made from 'hard' rubber, not soft rubber.
You can easily feel the difference when you find them.

I found them in Zubiri.

Noted. Thanks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

On the Camino, I usually use my walking pole with the rubber tip on to reduce the noise it makes on paved roads and paths. But it wears out very quickly. Typically, after 2 days and a distance of about 50km, I start to see the metal tip of my pole emerging. I have tried to find rubber tips that are more long lasting, but the ones I have seen all look similar to those I have got.

I also wonder if I have been using my pole incorrectly, which wears out the rubber tip more quickly than it would otherwise.

Grateful for any advice on a good brand for rubber tips, or appropriate pole use, to address this. Thank you!
I’ve tried the REI, Leki, and Black Diamond tips. The Black Diamond tips lastest the longest for me. The Leki tips lasted half as long (1 month vs 2 for the Black Diamond). The REI tips lasted the shortest amount of time (2 weeks). Make sure you get the tips meant for use. The tips that come with the poles are just meant for transport.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think mine came from ebay US - very cheaply. A friend bought them for me - he ordered three or four pairs and distributed them among a few of us. They are not a "known" brand.

[QUOTE="The tips that come with the poles are just meant for transport.[/QUOTE]

Ironically, the tip that originally came with my pole came off during transportation - on the bus to the airport. It was lost forever before I even started using the pole itself! This is how I ended up with the El Cheapo ones I bought in Hong Kong in transit...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Leki round tips for sure . I also bought them in Zubiri , perhaps there is a ley line through this town that makes them better than anything else:) so far they have lasted the bulk of the Frances , the entire GR70 and countless Australian bush walks .

@Kanga
It looks to me as though the tips you have are the ones we have for Nordic walking. I've several different makes of poles for Nordic Walking and have found that the tips are not always interchangeable.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I bought a pair of these from a Decathlon branch in Madrid before one of my stages on the Via de la Plata. Bulbous mushroom-style things in plastic. I walked 300+km on that stage with little visible sign of wear. I then took one of my poles with me to Japan and used it along with a traditional wooden staff for another 1200km, mostly on hard road surfaces. Still not worn through yet. Very impressed with them.

nordic-tips.jpg

I use the hard tips from Leki. They have lasted well over 1600 kms, but are ready to be replaced.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I saw someone with corks on the end of their walking sticks to solve this problem. I seriously considered this at one point .

On a more serious note there are some useful YouTube videos demonstrating how to appropriately use walking poles :)

I have cheap Decathlon poles, with the secret weapon of Leki tips.

That's my routine too! Leki tips are €4 a pair here in Holland but last longer than the Decathlon ones. For a walk of 500-600 km I definitely need 2 sets. I learned the hard way by ruining the metal tips of my first set of which were expensive Black Diamond poles.

After reading all the comments I must be tough on my poles as there is no way that I could walk more about 500 km with one set of Leki round tips.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ditch the poles, except for specific needs such as steep inclines and down hills, and then you will not need the tips

Wine bottle corks worked wonderfully on my Portuguese Camino last year - I displayed them, along with my shell, on the mantle after my walk.

We always carry extra tips.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
great tip that worked well for me ( ha! just notice the pun!)

I did bring 3 extra pairs of tips because i used my poles all the time
how ever the metal tip tends to punch through the rubber separate from routine wear.

from another suggestion I got plastic washers from the hardware store that just fit around the base of the metal tip, then placed the rubber over both - the plastic disperses the pressure so the metal tip doesnt punch thru!

I bought a pair of these from a Decathlon branch in Madrid before one of my stages on the Via de la Plata. Bulbous mushroom-style things in plastic. I walked 300+km on that stage with little visible sign of wear. I then took one of my poles with me to Japan and used it along with a traditional wooden staff for another 1200km, mostly on hard road surfaces. Still not worn through yet. Very impressed with them.

View attachment 47135
Got something like these with my Expedition trekking poles, but took them off and left them in the forest outside of Lourdes. Got a replacement pair at the outfitting shop in SJPP, €8 fr the pair.

Just came back from Spain and have seen so many people with rubber tips and metal tip sticking out. No idea why they don't go and get another pair. My Leki and Pacerpole tips have both done about 1000 kms and hardly show signs of wear, both have a metal ring inside to stop the pole tip from coming through.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
How long did they last? I need rubber tips for my Black Diamond ones and another for Hubby’s Leki poles. Only need them to last 320 km. The clicking sound on pavement drove us crazy on our first Camino.
Hi AD. My tips lasted the 500 miles on the Frances and still had some wear left when finished. Mine are styled like a "boot" with treads on the bottom, from Amazon.

Get the big ones. They look like mushrooms on the end of your poles. My wife used them, and they lasted her about 400km. You can buy them in SJPP for sure. We ordered replacements from Amazon when at Finisterre for our next Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Get the big ones. They look like mushrooms on the end of your poles. My wife used them, and they lasted her about 400km. You can buy them in SJPP for sure. We ordered replacements from Amazon when at Finisterre for our next Camino.
The big mushroom like ones are handy in that they don't get stuck between the cracks. I discovered this walking on the boardwalks by the coast on the CP.

I just received these from Amazon in a 12 pack for $9.99. They fit both my Black Diamond Trail Pro shock poles and my husband's older Leki. They are identical to the Leki brand. Perfect snug fit. I will definitely be taking an extra set for each of us even though we are only walking 275km on the Invierno route.
https://amzn.to/2HbkNjc

Attachments

• IMG_0162.JPG
    IMG_0162.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

€46,-
If you are using tips that are round, as opposed to a nordic type wedge-shaped tips, consider simply turning them one-quarter or 90-degrees. Most poles, once assembled and tightened stay that way. This holds the tip in a constant alignment in relation to the direct of travel and daily use.

This necessarily means that a wear pattern will develop. One quarter of the round tip will begin to be abraded and over time, will look like someone took a file to it to flatten it off. But, notice that 3/4 of the tip still looks pretty much like new...

Before this wear becomes complete and your tip shows through, simply tighten the poles and twist the tip 90-degrees to one direction or another. This should expose a new rounded tip surface that has virtually no abrasion wear on it. Your tips will then last longer.

I check my pole tips once every few days. This does work. If I have collapsed my poles for any reason, when I extend and secure them again, I rotate the rubber tip to expose a new surface.

It's an easy 'hack.'

Hope this helps.

You could also buy the 'family pack' of 12 as AlaskaDiver did, then proceed to give them out to noisy pilgrims making the click-clack noise on paved surfaces. You would be surprised at the number of pilgrims who know about poles but are clueless about silencing them using rubber tips.

Spread the goodness...pay it forward...

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Once again, I want to sell the idea of donning the rubber pads as you go from concrete and tarmac into inhabitated areas and remove them when you hit the gravel again and when you want this distinctice bite that the tip has when you need it.
I still do it on the fly without stopping.
Rubber go in my back pocket,never lost them, original pair still perfect after three caminos..
I hate the tickety tackety just as much as the next guy...

Stivander, I do the exact same thing. Perhaps I am not quite as conditioned as you, but if I hear the 'click clack' from my hiking sticks, it does remind me to take the rubber tips from my pocket and put them on.

It is the reverse, remembering to remove them when I leave paved surfaces, that confuses me. Usually, I am reinforced in this practice the first time I lose a tip to the 'mud god.' After I beat myself up for being stupid and lazy, I take one of my several spares and put it on.

To prevent loss of rubber tip to the 'mud god' I learned that a turn or two of 1" duck tape around the bottom of my pole tightens the tip fit and helps keep the rubber tip from being sucked off by mud. You can do ANYTHING with duck tape.

Hope this helps.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Once again, I want to sell the idea of donning the rubber pads as you go from concrete and tarmac into inhabitated areas and remove them when you hit the gravel again and when you want this distinctice bite that the tip has when you need it.
I still do it on the fly without stopping.
Rubber go in my back pocket,never lost them, original pair still perfect after three caminos..
I hate the tickety tackety just as much as the next guy...
My rubber tips stay on all the time. It was too much of a hassle to switch them out all the time.

The ones I bought are the same minus the brand name stamped on them :) and far more reasonably priced. $14 is way too much for 2 rubber tips.
Happy you like the one you bought. I included the link not for the price but only to show that they were available .

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Taking my own advice, I just bought 2 packs of the 12 pack rubber tips recommended by AlaskaDiver. I will likely pack them for my May Camino and hand them out as needs be...

Last edited:
These are the tips I use, never have had to take them off as they grip so well. Have walked 3 caminos and many kms at home and only replaced one that I caught and pulled too hard. Found them on Amazon after someone mentioned them on the Camino forum. Just great !!! No more clacking for me !!! Will be heading for 4 in a few months ! P.S. They were a bit big for my Black Diamond, so wrapped tape around the pole ends and pushed them on !

1641510433979.jpeg

These are the tips I use, never have had to take them off as they grip so well. Have walked 3 caminos and many kms at home and only replaced one that I caught and pulled too hard. Found them on Amazon after someone mentioned them on the Camino forum. Just great !!! No more clacking for me !!! Will be heading for 4 in a few months ! P.S. They were a bit big for my Black Diamond, so wrapped tape around the pole ends and pushed them on !

View attachment 116010
I use very similar ones. They are great and don't wear out.

€60,-

I cut two rounds from a bicycle tyre with a ‘drill hole saw’ and then used two part araldite glue and glued the ‘disks’ to the rubber tips … VERY TOUGH result🚴😊

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.