• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking Poles are permissible on board through Stansted Airpo

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
Hola

If travelling through or from Stansted Airport please note that hiking poles are allowed as carry on luggage or in carry on luggage. A very helpful pilgrim wrote to the airport authorities and received the following reply. If in doubt take a copy with you!

"You are seeking confirmation as to whether your walking poles are acceptable in hand luggage.

The UK's Department for Transport (DfT) and the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) direct airlines and airports as to what items should be prohibited from being carried in the cabin or hold of an aircraft. UK Airports are now also subject to EU regulations in terms of prohibited items.

I am pleased to confirm that European Commission rules (EC300) do in fact allow hiking poles. Therefore since the airport is now subject to those standards rather than the original DfT series of directions, a change to the orders has been made and we are now allowing hiking poles through.

I hope my response is helpful and that you will have no issues with taking your hiking poles through security.

Yours sincerely
Nancy Hatch
Customer Insight Team"

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Interesting. The UK has always retained the right to implement more stringent security measures at its airports. I wonder if that has changed.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Some airlines then add their own rules re cabin and hold baggage. Ryanair allow 7kgs, another allows only 5kg in the same size bag. I am off on a short trip soon with a friend and have to keep to the lower weight in my carry on bag. With both everything has to be inside the bag.
The actual size means my 6kg pilgrim pack would probably have to go as hold baggage by about 2cms :( .

Other airlines are more generous with size, weight and general rules - the list that came with our tickets was quite interesting.

Tia Valeria said:
Ryanair allow 7kgs
Actually RyanAir allow 10 kg see cutting from my booking below.
Code:
weighing up to 10kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm is permitted

Oops, my mistake. That was last year's info. :oops: Latest Ryanair is 10kg as you say David. The 5kg figure, same size bag, for a different airline was correct.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We are wondering if it is not so much the permission from the airline as to whether or not walking sticks/poles are permitted to be carried on board the aircraft, but the permission to get them through security!
We have never had any problem taking the poles on board (dismanteled and inside the packs), apart from at Santiago Airport! There it was not a question of what the airline permitted, but what the Security Man permitted! This last time, there was no way to get around the problem. We had to leave them behind and the officer showed us a pile of poles that had been confiscated that morning! Anne

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back