• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking poles at Madrid airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

petitewalker

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2014 fall), Camino Portuguese (fall 2017)
I will be hiking from Porto to Santiago in September. I know poles are not allowed on the plane in Santiago, but does anyone know if I can get them in the cabin at Madrid airport. After arriving from the US where they are allowed and clearing customs etc., we are flying TAP from Madrid to Porto.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I will be hiking from Porto to Santiago in September. I know poles are not allowed on the plane in Santiago, but does anyone know if I can get them in the cabin at Madrid airport. After arriving from the US where they are allowed and clearing customs etc., we are flying TAP from Madrid to Porto.
The TSA regulations do not permit walking poles to be carried as cabin baggage in the USA, just as other national air safety regulators have banned them on flights originating in their respective countries. The application of these rules by the human staff in US airports appears less rigourous than in Santiago etc. Perhaps they are more concerned with the much more dangerous practices of other members of the US travelling public, like the 89 firearms that were detected in one week in July, 79 of them loaded and 27 with a round chambered (see https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2017/07/21...irearm-discovery-record-set-firearm-concealed). This doesn't make it legal, but it does make it possible to get them aboard when travelling from the US. The risk is yours.

There simply is no consistency of practice that we can tell you, to provide certainty, EXCEPT that poles are not allowed through security at Santiago airport.

As @dougfitz says, the wording of the regulations always says walking poles are not permitted. However, what constitutes a walking pole is not clear and the illustration that is often used shows a traditional full sized pole. However, if I assembled a walking "pole" by rolling up magazines, stringing a rope through them, and taping them together, I would probably (I'm guessing here!!) be allowed to take them on board even if they were functionally "walking poles." (No, I have no intention of putting this to a test :rolleyes:.) Maybe the sticks that fold to 15" are not considered to be "poles", which would explain why they are often allowed.

So, just be prepared to check them, since the security agents make the final decision and can prohibit whatever they think might be a hazard.

Edited to add: I would never dream of arguing with the security staff or proposing my alternate definition of "pole." I just give it here on the forum as a theory to explain why the foldable poles might be permitted so often in practice.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
IT's been a while since @dougfitz and I have had a chance to disagree about TSA regulations, so I'll take a shot at this. ;) First and foremost, the TSA regulations themselves say nothing about hiking poles. They say that ski poles are prohibited and walking aids are permitted. The TSA blog or facebook page says hiking poles are not permitted, but that is one person's interpretation, is not legally binding, and obviously other TSA people disagree. It would be very nice if TSA would change its regulations to make it clear, but they are not likely to be consumed with interest about this issue.

Back from another camino, I have now carried my poles yet again through TSA in the US and through the Madrid airport to transfer to a flight to San Sebastián. Just for the record, I carry my poles (collapsed) out in the open for all of TSA to see, and no one has ever batted an eye. I have done this now more than 25 times and through many different US airports, both when going to the Camino or when going somewhere I will be hiking. I am not trying to fool or deceive anyone, they are in plain view when they go through the screening machine. I have read one report on this forum from someone who has personal knowledge of someone who was not able to carry hiking poles on at a US airport, so there is some risk. I always carry a duffel bag stuffed in my backpack so that I can check them at the last minute.

This year at the Madrid airport, I had to leave the terminal and go over to a different terminal to mail something, because the only post office is in T1 and I was flying in and ot of T4. Coming back through, the security agent asked me about my poles (first time in 8 or 9 years that I've ever had a question) and called over her supervisor. Her supervisor asked me if I needed them to walk. I explained honestly that I was going to walk the Camino de Santiago and that I would have problems with knee pain without them, and he waved me through. But again, I had my duffel in case of a last minute problem.

So, my experience may be different than yours, but for me the risk of having stuff lost on my way to the Camino (as happened in 2010 when I last checked my poles) is worth the risk of having to maybe check them at the last minute.

[...]This year at the Madrid airport, I had to leave the terminal and go over to a different terminal to mail something, because the only post office is in T1 and I was flying in and ot of T4. Coming back through, the security agent asked me about my poles (first time in 8 or 9 years that I've ever had a question) and called over her supervisor. Her supervisor asked me if I needed them to walk. I explained honestly that I was going to walk the Camino de Santiago and that I would have problems with knee pain without them, and he waved me through. But again, I had my duffel in case of a last minute problem. [...]
We've had this problem on and off at various Spanish airports (Madrid, Santiago, Sevilla) and only on one occasion could we convince the supervisor to take the pole on board. We now leave them at home or send them in the hold. Last time we could "borrow" some forgotten ones at an albergue and also the pilgrims' office. NB later we returned them faithfully to the office in Santiago.;)

There simply is no consistency of practice that we can tell you, to provide certainty, EXCEPT that poles are not allowed through security at Santiago airport.

As @dougfitz says, the wording of the regulations always says walking poles are not permitted. However, what constitutes a walking pole is not clear and the illustration that is often used shows a traditional full sized pole. However, if I assembled a walking "pole" by rolling up magazines, stringing a rope through them, and taping them together, I would probably (I'm guessing here!!) be allowed to take them on board even if they were functionally "walking poles." (No, I have no intention of putting this to a test :rolleyes:.) Maybe the sticks that fold to 15" are not considered to be "poles", which would explain why they are often allowed.

So, just be prepared to check them, since the security agents make the final decision and can prohibit whatever they think might be a hazard.

Edited to add: I would never dream of arguing with the security staff or proposing my alternate definition of "pole." I just give it here on the forum as a theory to explain why the foldable poles might be permitted so often in practice.
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring

Under camping. Page 3 clearly states "hiking poles".
The rules are clear. The agents do whatever they want it seems. Same rules in Spain, I looked it up this week. I don't take chances when it's easy enough to just check them along with my pocket knife and comfortable traveling shoes.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
IT's been a while since @dougfitz and I have had a chance to disagree about TSA regulations, so I'll take a shot at this. ;) First and foremost, the TSA regulations themselves say nothing about hiking poles. They say that ski poles are prohibited and walking aids are permitted. The TSA blog or facebook page says hiking poles are not permitted, but that is one person's interpretation, is not legally binding, and obviously other TSA people disagree. It would be very nice if TSA would change its regulations to make it clear, but they are not likely to be consumed with interest about this issue.

Back from another camino, I have now carried my poles yet again through TSA in the US and through the Madrid airport to transfer to a flight to San Sebastián. Just for the record, I carry my poles (collapsed) out in the open for all of TSA to see, and no one has ever batted an eye. I have done this now more than 25 times and through many different US airports, both when going to the Camino or when going somewhere I will be hiking. I am not trying to fool or deceive anyone, they are in plain view when they go through the screening machine. I have read one report on this forum from someone who has personal knowledge of someone who was not able to carry hiking poles on at a US airport, so there is some risk. I always carry a duffel bag stuffed in my backpack so that I can check them at the last minute.

This year at the Madrid airport, I had to leave the terminal and go over to a different terminal to mail something, because the only post office is in T1 and I was flying in and ot of T4. Coming back through, the security agent asked me about my poles (first time in 8 or 9 years that I've ever had a question) and called over her supervisor. Her supervisor asked me if I needed them to walk. I explained honestly that I was going to walk the Camino de Santiago and that I would have problems with knee pain without them, and he waved me through. But again, I had my duffel in case of a last minute problem.

So, my experience may be different than yours, but for me the risk of having stuff lost on my way to the Camino (as happened in 2010 when I last checked my poles) is worth the risk of having to maybe check them at the last minute.
This isn't saying nothing:
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/hiking-poles

...hiking poles. The rules are clear.
I beg to differ. In my post, which you quoted but did not address, I suggested an explanation that could get us past the ongoing heated accusation that passengers who carry on folding poles, and the security agents who allow it, are blatantly violating federal laws and jeopardizing airline security. My explanation would apply specifically to the folding poles. Describing his experience, @fraluchi did not say what kind of pole was rejected.

The simple and non-confrontational advice is that people should be prepared to check their poles of whatever type, because of the wording of the regulation, because some poles have definitely been rejected, because the final decision always lies with the security agent, and because it is a bad idea to disagree with them.

Regulations are expressed in words, but those words must be interpreted during implementation. For example, are "hiking poles" the same as "walking sticks"? Sometimes, the intent of the "rule" must be considered during the interpretation. That is where different decisions may ensue.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I don't mean to pick a fight, just to say that my own interactions with TSA agents have been as I have described. Your mileage may vary. I have seen the TSA postings that say that someone interprets the regulations to prohibit hiking poles, but the regulations themselves do not say that, and I have interacted with many TSA agents who do not interpret the regulations that way either. These agents are professionals, and they have discretion, and in my experience they are reasonable with that discretion. I'm not encouraging you to do things that would make you feel uncomfortable, and you now know that you may find yourself in a pickle if you rely on being able to carry them on. So let's leave it to each individual to decide what risks are acceptable and how to deal with the uncertainty. Some may choose to check their poles, that's fine. Burned once with that approach, I have found an alternative that continues to work for me.

Further affiant sayeth naught. :)

Wow...this question certainly started a fierce discussion. I do carry a duffle in case TSA will not let them on, but I have never had a problem at any of the departing cities in the US. I most recently hiked in Germany and had no problem in getting them on in both Denmark and Germany. When I walked the French Way, I mailed them home from Santiago. I will bring my duffle and see what happens. Thanks for all the input.

As @dougfitz says, the wording of the regulations always says walking poles are not permitted.
Not true for current EU legislation which is easy to check in 24 language versions.

Madrid is not subject to TSA rules, as far as domestic and intra-EU flights are concerned. I managed to track down current national legislation for Spain, Germany and Ireland; they all took over the exact wording of EU implementing regulation 2015/1998: walking sticks, walking poles, hiking poles or anything remotely similar are not explicitly mentioned in the list of prohibited items in cabin baggage (used to be the case years ago but not anymore). It does not mean that one has a general right to take poles into the cabin so being prepared for all circumstances is the best advice one can give.

It goes without saying that walking poles that cannot be folded are never allowed in the cabin because their dimensions do not comply with general rules for cabin baggage, with the exception of walking poles for persons with reduced mobility which are allowed.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I had to leave the best cane I ever had behind at the Santiago airport because I didn't have time to go back and check in my back pack. I had bought it in Leon when my leg started acting up.

I don't mean to pick a fight, just to say that my own interactions with TSA agents have been as I have described. Your mileage may vary. I have seen the TSA postings that say that someone interprets the regulations to prohibit hiking poles, but the regulations themselves do not say that, and I have interacted with many TSA agents who do not interpret the regulations that way either. These agents are professionals, and they have discretion, and in my experience they are reasonable with that discretion. I'm not encouraging you to do things that would make you feel uncomfortable, and you now know that you may find yourself in a pickle if you rely on being able to carry them on. So let's leave it to each individual to decide what risks are acceptable and how to deal with the uncertainty. Some may choose to check their poles, that's fine. Burned once with that approach, I have found an alternative that continues to work for me.

Further affiant sayeth naught. :)
Exactly. People will choose to do whatever they want and interpret the rules to meet their needs. Until they get burned as many of us have.

From the link provided by Alaska Diver:

The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint.

Buena suerte, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.
And that is the problem. You take care your chances. Just like when you choose to speed. You are taking the chance that you won't get stopped and ticketed.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sorry, I haven't read all the posts as I have never flown in nor out of the US but I have flown within Spain (Oviedo-Sevilla) and in and out of Spain from Amsterdam on 15 occasions (Madrid, Sevilla, Barcelona, Bilbao and Santiago airports) and it was only in Santiago this year where I had a problem. This has been well documented so it did not come as a surprise to me. My sticks have always been placed INSIDE my back but are obvious going through x-ray!

In Santiago it is an AIRPORT regulation and NOT a carrier regulation (as told to me) and one may check them through for FREE, regardless of your carrier, in my case Vueling.

It may be the luck of the straw, others may have other experience, but if it were only luck I don't think that this would have happened 15 times (or 30 as I haven't counted both ways) in 5 Spanish airports with various carriers. Just saying.

Cheers
LT

Just to demonstrate that it is a question of personal interpretation of the employee at the airport. Two years ago I flew from Amsterdam to Sevilla . I checked in my backpack with my walking poles tied on the side. I was told to take them off and take the poles with me in the plane. Nobody of the plane crew made an objection

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back