• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking poles from USA

Ginnymb

Celebration of Life
Time of past OR future Camino
Planning for September 16, 2022
Hello Fellow pilgrims,
My hiking poles do no fit in my carry on suitcase and I just found out that US airlines only allow poles in Checked baggage!
We do not want to check our bags after a few lost suitcase misadventures recently. Soooo… can I buy them there? Are they expensive?
I’ll be in Porto a few days before be go to Sarria to start the walk!
Buen Camino!
Ginny

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello Fellow pilgrims,
My hiking poles do no fit in my carry on suitcase and I just found out that US airlines only allow poles in Checked baggage!
We do not want to check our bags after a few lost suitcase misadventures recently. Soooo… can I buy them there? Are they expensive?
Buen Camino!
Ginny
You can buy hiking poles in Porto and Sarria. Given the USD:Euro exchange rate at the moment they’re virtually free. You might want to bring a couple empty suitcases with you to fill up .

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You can buy hiking poles in Porto and Sarria. Given the USD:Euro exchange rate at the moment they’re virtually free. You might want to bring a couple empty suitcases with you to fill up .
Thank you! Very helpful!
You could put your poles in a cardboard tube and check them. You could buy poles in Porto without difficulty. Expensive is too relative a question to answer easily. I’ve always regarded Portugal as an inexpensive country compared to many
Thank you very much for your speedy answer!
Decathlon stores are in most larger cities; their poles start at €10-12 and work perfectly fine for the Camino
Thank you all! Super helpful!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello Fellow pilgrims,
Buen Camino!
Ginny
Bought mine in Porto for about $20.00 at Decathlon store. They have stores all over Spain.

Hello Fellow pilgrims,
Buen Camino!
Ginny
I check mine in a shipping tube and if they somehow don’t arrive I will buy some there. Airlines has to pay me back for mine anyway.

I check mine in a shipping tube and if they somehow don’t arrive I will buy some there. Airlines has to pay me back for mine anyway.
Why not buy them there in the first place? Support the locals that make the Camino possible.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi! I brought mine here in Porto!
Via Caterina Shopping
Rua de Santa Catarina 312 - 350 Loja 1.10, 4000-443 Porto, Portugal
They were the twist type and very sturdy; saved my bacon loads of times and held up well.
12 Euros i brought 3 sets of tips that lasted a good way to Santiago; then lost the last set must have fell out my pack lid!
Buen Camino
Woody

Hello Fellow pilgrims,
Buen Camino!
Ginny
Today I just went through two security checks, SFO and Heathrow, with my hiking poles in my backpack carry-on. Waiting for my next flight. Start walking on Thursday i hope!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We flew from SFO-LIS & carried on our backpacks. We disassembled each pole into thirds, banded each set up and packed each set so they align with backpack’s internal frames. We figured these are inexpensive poles and if they get confiscated then we’ll buy a new set in Spain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Fellow pilgrims,
Buen Camino!
Ginny
You could put your poles in a cardboard tube and check them. You could buy poles in Porto without difficulty. Expensive is too relative a question to answer easily
I took my poles on my first camino. I had to wait an hour for them and ask lots of people because they did not go to the luggage carousel because of the different shape. They came out in a corner of the baggage area in Barcelona. Big hassle. I agree expensive is relative. You can go to a Decathlon in Porto. There are 3 of them. Or to another outdoor store. You can spend about 20-25 Euro for a pair up to over 100 Euro. I buy the cheapest ones because for my purposes I do not need a better pair and also I donate them at the end of my camino.

You could put your poles in a cardboard tube and check them. You could buy poles in Porto without difficulty. Expensive is too relative a question to answer easily. I’ve always regarded Portugal as an inexpensive country compared to many
I put my poles and other sharp objects (knife, cork puller) in a shipping tube and checked that. I carried on my pack. This worked out great.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Decathlon stores are in most larger cities; their poles start at €10-12 and work perfectly fine for the Camino
Yes, that's where we bought ours, at the Decathlon Store in Porto. Excellent place. Very helpful.

We flew from SFO-LIS & carried on our backpacks. We disassembled each pole into thirds, banded each set up and packed each set so they align with backpack’s internal frames. We figured these are inexpensive poles and if they get confiscated then we’ll buy a new set in Spain.
Oh wow! Thanks for the additional information! Unfortunately mine do not get short quite enough! Lessons learned for the future! Buen Camino!

I put my poles and other sharp objects (knife, cork puller) in a shipping tube and checked that. I carried on my pack. This worked out great.
Your experience and mine show again what a crapshoot things like checking poles, which camino to choose, what is a difficult camino or stage, etc. You put your poles and knife in a tube and checked it. I got a tube from FedEx and put my poles and knife in and checked it. You sailed right through and I had to wait an hour after a flight from San Francisco to Barcelona, tired and frustrated and hungry. Glad your experience turned out so much better.

Your experience and mine show again what a crapshoot things like checking poles, which camino to choose, what is a difficult camino or stage, etc. You put your poles and knife in a tube and checked it. I got a tube from FedEx and put my poles and knife in and checked it. You sailed right through and I had to wait an hour after a flight from San Francisco to Barcelona, tired and frustrated and hungry. Glad your experience turned out so much better.
I guess you got special treatment. 🤪

Most read last week in this forum

Watching the weather for my April 26-May 1 walk. Too early to see the future, and now my question: Disposable ponchos( maybe 2) or more reliable poncho? Just carrying a very small backpack( bags...
Hi Everyone, This is kind of embarassing! I am leaving in 2 days, for my 3rd Camino and will primarily be walking the Camino Frances in April. My previous Caminos have been in June and June/July...
I will be starting my walk in May 2024. I will have my iphone with t-mobile service, which works fine in most of Europe. My question is for those of you who have been on this route, and had your...
if needed, can I purchase a rain poncho along my upcoming route from Tui to Santiago de compostela? As I watch the weather forecast for April 25-May 1st it appears TODAY that there will be very...
Preparing from Tasmania (island state of Australia) to walk about a month of the VP at my slow pace (maybe average 15km/day) with just the essentials on my back (so currently obsessed with the...
Hi All, Rachel from UK here. I walked part of the Camino in 2019 (6days from Pamplona). Last year I walked Frances until Leon. 2024 is the route to Santiago. Any tips from Leon to Santiago...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back