• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking poles in Bilbao

NadineMc

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances ( June 2013) Camino Portugal ( June 2014) Camino Frances ( June 2015) Norte 2018
Hi everybody. Is it easy to buy poles in Bilbao? I’m hoping to just fly carry-on from the US and bringing my own poles would require an extra baggage fee. Thanks for any info!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I got four hiking poles in Decathlon Bilbao (check there web site), last year got cheap ones, but you can get expensive as well.

Bilbao airport have a policy of not allowing poles through to planes as hand luggage. my brothers said they saw a room full of confiscated poles they confiscated theirs.

Cheap poles which did the job from Logrono to Burgos cost around 10 euros each. I left mine behind.

I have visited Bilbao may times and never seen an outdoor store, but then I haven't been looking for one either. My guess is the Decathlon is a taxi/bus ride out of town to a big box store area. Not a big deal but well worth doing a little research on how to get there and back and the hours they are open. Sundays in Spain many place are not open.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I got four hiking poles in Decathlon Bilbao (check there web site), last year got cheap ones, but you can get expensive as well.

Bilbao airport have a policy of not allowing poles through to planes as hand luggage. my brothers said they saw a room full of confiscated poles they confiscated theirs.

Cheap poles which did the job from Logrono to Burgos cost around 10 euros each. I left mine behind.
Thanks a lot....very helpful!!!

Decathalon Bilbao is in centre near Abando underground station.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Google:
bilbao trekking tienda
You get more options. We bought Black Diamond trekking poles from Bilbao four weeks ago. Not cheap but with quality.

Google:
bilbao trekking tienda
You get more options. We bought Black Diamond trekking poles from Bilbao four weeks ago. Not cheap but with quality.

Seeing your name @Heikki , I can't help but comment on the fact that I bought my Black Diamond trekking poles in a shop in Espoo, Finland. I got a good deal. :) (Bought them there because my son lives there).

I live in the U S and faced with the same question when I took a discount airlines flight. But I decided to get a cheap poles from Walmart (about $20) and pay luggage fee. The reasoning was not to spend the first day of arrival looking for poles which could cost a day and pay whatever they charge. I plan to leave my poles behind after my Camino so I don't need to pay the checkin luggage fee.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I live in the U S and faced with the same question when I took a discount airlines flight. But I decided to get a cheap poles from Walmart (about $20) and pay luggage fee. The reasoning was not to spend the first day of arrival looking for poles which could cost a day and pay whatever they charge. I plan to leave my poles behind after my Camino so I don't need to pay the checkin luggage fee.
I think I might just pay the luggage fee too. I don't want to spend my first day in Bilbao trying to find poles to buy. Plus they probably won't feel right. Better stick with the poles I took on my past caminos and pay the fee. It will be worth it!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.