• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking poles on planes USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crandall

Time of past OR future Camino
April (2020)
I know there are lot of posts on this topic, but here is what happened to me. I was flying out if Orlando. I went to airport a few days before my flight. I brought my hiking poles and went to a TSA agent. I have pacers poles. I askes if i could get them through security in my backpack. She said yes becauae they are "mobility aids" I packed them
Two days later I strolled through security with no issues. Dont know if all poles are equal or if Pacers, because of hand grips are different, but i had no issues. I do think calling poles "mobility aids" may make a difference too.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Or just ask the captain to stow them down by his feet out of the way.

Really though, there is never a 100% guarantee that you'll get poles through security..

I do think calling poles "mobility aids" may make a difference too.
I guess there might be one or two members who would benefit from knowing this because they do need such assistance embarking, moving around and disembarking an aircraft.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm sick of posts related to this topic ... when buying them in Spain would stimulate their economy instead of giving more money to greedy corporate people like Amazon ... and solve all the airline "issues"
I bought a set of Leki poles in Pamplona that worked wonderfully. Then stopped by Mailboxes Etc in Santiago and FedEx’d them back to the US.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm sick of posts related to this topic ... when buying them in Spain would stimulate their economy instead of giving more money to greedy corporate people like Amazon ... and solve all the airline "issues"
I’m curious about this. I bought inexpensive poles in Porto and left them in Madrid. It seems like if everyone buys and leaves poles, there would eventually be whole lot of poles in Spain! 😂 I think they should have a place to drop off and adopt poles at all the airports in Spain. Is this a thing?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This sounds very harsh and judgmental . Is there a way that you can say this so it sounds less like an attack and more like a suggestion? Not all Amazon sellers are greedy and not everyone can afford to or want to purchase poles in Spain and it’s completely fine not to.

There are surely better ways to stimulate the Spanish economy than overloading it with superfluous hiking poles that are likely made far away from Spain. :rolleyes:

There are no airline issues if you package your poles separately and send them as checked luggage.

I think they should have a place to drop off and adopt poles at all the airports in Spain. Is this a thing?
Every thread on poles has this suggestion. Feel free to undertake a business or a non-profit venture with the idea!

Personally, I will continue to take my now 10-year-old poles on each trip, as long as they last. Then I will carefully select a new pair (preferably at home where I can do it without rushing) that I will plan to use for a number of years.

Given that Pacerpoles are a major point for the first post ... How did Amazon and greedy corporate people get into this thread? Don't you know Pacerpoles and who makes them? I can't find them on Amazon. And as far as I can tell, owners of Pacerpoles are quite attached to their special poles and either check them or take them into the cabin, depending on various ... erm ... things.

I for one am skeptical of the advice of leaving walking poles behind in Spain and buying a new pair the next time. I think we kid ourselves, both about recycling / manufacturing something new out of them and of used walking poles being useful for others; now and then perhaps but not on a large scale.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
My wife and I flew Delta/Air France to Paris, Feb. 27, returned Mar. 23, I had both sets of our trekking poles in my carryon backpack, I do keep the rubber tips on the poles, so they don't look aggressive. There was no issue, going or coming back.
Interestingly, I did not take my small Swiss Army pocketknife, so I bought one in France. Before returning home I went to the post office to mail the new pocketknife home. The French Post Office, said it could not be mailed, as it was a weapon. I gave the knife to the manager of our hotel.

If anyone wants to read more anecdotes about hiking poles - on planes or otherwise - just click on the tag "poles" and settle in for a long read. If you want a shortcut to the most recent now-closed thread on the topic, go to this one.

For the key facts and official policies about carrying poles on airplanes, see this thread, which is conveniently tagged so that it appears as a FAQ in the Frequently Asked Question section.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.