• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking poles (please bear with me) need honest advice.

If you are considering poles and possibly Pacer Poles, the very best reference comes from another recent post, that asked whether anyone was willing to trade his or her pre-owner Pacer Poles? What you see is that there have been ZERO reactions to the thread.

My knees are rusty and I would not part with my Pacer Poles for the world. They are the difference between walking and not walking the Camino for me. Once Iberia at Madrid airport did not return them in the odd bagage (they told me to go to my Madrid hotel (huh, I only have a midnight Alsa bus to Burgos?) and wait, but instead I camped with my backpack right next to the customer desk and insisted that I would not leave until they retrieved them, which ultimately happened hours later into the night. Ever since, I check my backpack with the poles folded in it.
And it was my post that received ZERO responses. But I continue searching because the inventor/retailer of these very effective poles is a small concern based in the Lake District, UK. The poles are now manufactured in Taiwan, and as a result of the post-Covid supply chain interruptions & materials shortage, her business is regarded as a 'minnow' and falls to the bottom of the manufacturer's list of customers! I know Heather Rhodes is still committed to retailing her invention but she needs help here on this issue. This is not my area of expertise but if there's anybody within the Camino network who could help Heather, and ultimately the rest of us , then here's an opportunity for some altruistic community action.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
And it was my post that received ZERO responses. But I continue searching because the inventor/retailer of these very effective poles is a small concern based in the Lake District, UK. The poles are now manufactured in Taiwan, and as a result of the post-Covid supply chain interruptions & materials shortage, her business is regarded as a 'minnow' and falls to the bottom of the manufacturer's list of customers! I know Heather Rhodes is still committed to retailing her invention but she needs help here on this issue. This is not my area of expertise but if there's anybody within the Camino network who could help Heather, and ultimately the rest of us , then here's an opportunity for some altruistic community action.
I hiked the Appalachian Trail and poles were a must have. I’ve brought mine along for the El Camino.

I bought Pacer Poles many years ago. I'd certainly recommend them particularly if you've not used poles before because you automatically and easily use them properly. I only bought a different pair when I walked a Camino and wanted something that would pack smaller. I do hope they can continue producing them.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have never walked with poles before and to be honest I have never really thought about using them, except that people say they have helped when it comes to your fingers swelling, which mine can do. I am interested to hear from other pilgrims who have completed walks/pilgrimages or just walked long distances without poles. Do you wish you had bought them or were you okay without them? Any tricks to help with the swelling of the hands and fingers also greatly appreciated?
I am a recent convert to trekking poles. I decided to get them for the Del Norte as it’s known for the tougher terrain. After one training hike with them I became a convert. Much easier to go up and downhills. And faster on the flats.

There are a number of instructional videos on proper technique which you should watch if you decide to get some. Technique matters. Walking with them engages your whole body.

I got Z poles instead of telescopic poles as I felt they would be more compact for traveling. I also bought several pairs of rubber tips which not only make walking quieter but they also remove some vibration on hard surfaces such as roads.

And yes, my hands did not swell.

I bought two poles in Pamplona and gave them away three days later. They just got in the way

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have never walked with poles before and to be honest I have never really thought about using them, except that people say they have helped when it comes to your fingers swelling, which mine can do. I am interested to hear from other pilgrims who have completed walks/pilgrimages or just walked long distances without poles. Do you wish you had bought them or were you okay without them? Any tricks to help with the swelling of the hands and fingers also greatly appreciated?
Walk with walking poles to avoid the swelling of the hands and fingers. Find light ones.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
First Camino and walking with my wife. Decision time. Fleece and Puffer. I think one only but weather looks changeable at the moment. Trying to keep under 7kgs! Looking forward to a experience of...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.