• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking poles (please bear with me) need honest advice.

Kitkat1066

Time of past OR future Camino
Future May 2022
I have never walked with poles before and to be honest I have never really thought about using them, except that people say they have helped when it comes to your fingers swelling, which mine can do. I am interested to hear from other pilgrims who have completed walks/pilgrimages or just walked long distances without poles. Do you wish you had bought them or were you okay without them? Any tricks to help with the swelling of the hands and fingers also greatly appreciated?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Like Tincatinker I rarely use poles although I take one with me all the time normally attached to my rucksack. However, I find that using one, especially on steep descents/steps, is useful at my age and the state of my knees. I know many people swear by them so I suppose it is a matter of whatever suits you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The older I get the more I appreciate them! If I walk without and let my hands swing along my fingers inevitably swell. Using poles elevates my hands and my fingers don't swell - the alternative, for me, is to hook my thumbs into my pack straps to elevate my hands.
The other thing to consider is how you'll get them to Spain - loads of conversations about this. Best to buy there unless you, like me, get devoted to PacerPoles.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I usually walk without poles. Have always been happy without.
Bit puzzled as to why you think they might be useful in Oedema (swelling due to fluid retention). Daft as it may sound the useful response to that is drinking water
Thank you much appreciated, as far as the Oedema is concerened they said that poles helped with the swelling because the poles meant that their arms were elevated all the time. Might have up to my water whilst walking.

My limit walking with a backpackl is 14K, after that my hip plays up, hurts and I shuffle my feet,,,
I brought some my first time around, being a novice, and I would not be found dead w them at home, but they served med well on all caminos. That changed fast after one day in Spain...

But I was sixty and now 67 and age may dictate the need for them...
Bring them or don´t, you can alway buy new ones or cut some willow on the way....

You being a spring hare and all (!) might not need the assistance, and Spain is chock-full of walking implements if you should ever be in need...!
ps...never had swelling hands...
you can have a loose grip in betyween strides, it comes naturally...

€46,-
I have never walked with poles before and to be honest I have never really thought about using them, except that people say they have helped when it comes to your fingers swelling, which mine can do. I am interested to hear from other pilgrims who have completed walks/pilgrimages or just walked long distances without poles. Do you wish you had bought them or were you okay without them? Any tricks to help with the swelling of the hands and fingers also greatly appreciated?
They definitely stop you getting 'sausage fingers', probably because they are held up, and also as they clench the pole handle. On other walks I have seen people clench a small ball in their hands to stop them swelling.
On the practical side, if you have to fly to begin your walk, collapsible poles mean you can fit them in your pack. As to brand people have different preferences. I havent tried Pacer Poles, but people seem to like them. Mine are lightweight poles I picked up at a store in Leon.
I didn't walk with poles when I was younger, but I was sold on them on my second Camino, and wouldn't walk without them now. Saves my knees, helps my balance, and the downhills are much easier. I arrive each day feeling great and not tired. I love my poles.
However I see people with them tied to their packs, or being carried but not used. I would say in that case they are just extra weight.
A tip - mark or tie your poles in some way so that someone doesn't grab them by mistake as they leave in the morning (as with shoes).

HIi @Kitkat1066 Such a personal choice but ... for what it's worth. I've walked with and without. I like walking with poles because ...

I feel they help give a nice rhythm to my stride on long straight stretches (but beware not to grip too tight)
Useful on steep descents for balance, supporting knees etc
Useful when navigating narrow muddy paths (I'm looking at you Le Puy)
Useful for balance when stone stepping while crossing a creek
Useful for batting away low hanging branches
Useful for making a bit of a noise when passing unfriendly dogs
Useful for reducing swelling in hands - that's a definite yes from me.
I can easily fold down and put one or both in the side of my pack any time. Mine are v lightweight.

Not all of the above circumstances (e.g. creeks, unfriendly dogs) may be encountered on the Camino Frances, but yes on other paths.

Buen camino.

They definitely stop you getting 'sausage fingers', probably because they are held up, and also as they clench the pole handle. On other walks I have seen people clench a small ball in their hands to stop them swelling.
On the practical side, if you have to fly to begin your walk, collapsible poles mean you can fit them in your pack. As to brand people have different preferences. I havent tried Pacer Poles, but people seem to like them. Mine are lightweight poles I picked up at a store in Leon.
I didn't walk with poles when I was younger, but I was sold on them on my second Camino, and wouldn't walk without them now. Saves my knees, helps my balance, and the downhills are much easier. I arrive each day feeling great and not tired. I love my poles.
However I see people with them tied to their packs, or being carried but not used. I would say in that case they are just extra weight.
A tip - mark or tie your poles in some way so that someone doesn't grab them by mistake as they leave in the morning (as with shoes).
Thank you I am seriously considering buying a collapsible set and giving them a thorough trial before next year.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
HIi @Kitkat1066 Such a personal choice but ... for what it's worth. I've walked with and without. I like walking with poles because ...

I feel they help give a nice rhythm to my stride on long straight stretches (but beware not to grip too tight)
Useful on steep descents for balance, supporting knees etc
Useful when navigating narrow muddy paths (I'm looking at you Le Puy)
Useful for balance when stone stepping while crossing a creek
Useful for batting away low hanging branches
Useful for making a bit of a noise when passing unfriendly dogs
Useful for reducing swelling in hands - that's a definite yes from me.
I can easily fold down and put one or both in the side of my pack any time. Mine are v lightweight.

Not all of the above circumstances (e.g. creeks, unfriendly dogs) may be encountered on the Camino Frances, but yes on other paths.

Buen camino.
I hear you for all of the above which I have done without poles but I know in hindsight life would have been so much easier with them. I think I am going to have to buy a set and try them out to be certain that they are for me.

I hear you for all of the above which I have done without poles but I know in hindsight life would have been so much easier with them. I think I am going to have to buy a set and try them out to be certain that they are for me.
One thing I'd add - and others may have had the opposite experience. I've had expensive poles and cheap poles. The expensive ones caused problems after a while with the 'collapsing' mechanism. The cheap ones (20 euros a pair) bought some years ago are still going strong. Like many things, I find that the simpler the mechanism (the fewer the moving parts), the less likelihood for something to break or jam. Particularly if you are trying out, I wouldn't spend a lot of money on them. Happy trails.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have walked the Camino with and without trekking poles. I prefer to walk with them now. I never noticed hand swelling when I walked without, but I would make it a point to do occasional arm and upper body stretching while walking when I didn't use poles.
As far as water consumption, no matter the weather on the Camino one should drink at least two litres daily when walking. That's only four regular water bottles. On hot dry days, four litres.

My wife (54) has always used hiking poles, but I (54) never tried them until this year…WOW, what a difference!!! My thighs were less tired, my knees less achy, and several times I avoided what surely would have been a twisted ankle. Plus my shoes were less wet and muddy since the poles help one to hop over puddles and avoid streams. We tend to gravitate to more remote and rougher trails, but they would be equally useful on even the easy ones. We always buy our poles on arrival, usually at a Decathlon store.

HOWEVER, learn to use them correctly!!!! Your weight should be on the wrist strap, not on your hand gripping the poles. It’s a common mistake and the number one reason people dislike poles. YouTube has plenty of videos to help you.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I’ve used them but inevitably lose them. I prefer without. The less things to handle and manage the better. But my balance is good and I’m still quite agile, so far. I agree the less expensive usually last longer, though I’ve never had any long enough to know for sure. Swelling? I stretch often and sometimes hold my straps at chest level or hands on head for 10 minutes. Works well for me. I left my last lime-green-coloured foldable pole in my hotel room in Lisbon. Didn’t miss it at all and got to Santiago just fine.

Like many I've walked a camino without poles, and more with them. Though I despised them for an hour or so, I got over it and now won't walk without them. For all the reasons people have mentioned.

I bought mine on sale and love them: nothing fancy or special, but they're light and telescope to fit nicely in luggage. Plus they're red, so no-one mistakes them for theirs.

Hi!
Sorry don't know anything about hand swelling but these are my comments from another post!
Here's my ten cents worth.
Just finished my first Camino; Porto Santiago via Coastal, Senda Litoral and Variant Espiritual.
I wouldn't have made it without my pole cheap as chips 12 euros but my goodness they took a bashing and so did i but saved me 100 times a day.
I still fell several times quite badly over the length of the walk;i got lost a lot so worked out just over 400km! Without having them and 4 points of contact with the ground i would not have been walking anymore; i will always walk in future with poles.
So my thoughts are; even if they don't help swelling hands i think buying a cheap pair (paying 12 euros is washers) and see what happens!!
All the best Woody.

€46,-
If you do decide to try trekking poles and are willing to invest in them as gear you will have for years to come, look for ones that have cork grips and, if possible, ones that have both cork grips and and ergonomic "lean" to them (the grip will be slightly bent forward to ease stress on the wrist).

The benefit of cork grips is threefold: cork doesn't rub hands like rubber, reducing possibility of blisters; when your hands sweat, cork helps to dissipate moisture; and, over time, cork grips will mold to your hand, making it feel like a natural extension of your hand vs always feeling like you're holding on to a foreign object.

An example: Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork Trekking Poles

I’m definitely a fan of poles. They take weight off your knees, hips, and back, and they help with balance. From my time on the Camino I know younger folks use poles much less, but for older hikers, poles really making the going much easier. I hiked my Camino at 75, using Pacer poles, which has a hand grip which is more of a shaped hand rest— this is a simple design innovation that relieves the pressure of wrapping your hands around the horizontal shaft of a conventional pole. Look up Pacer poles on Google. They’re more expensive than many poles but are well made and well designed. But, speaking generally, hiking poles are a big aid to enjoying long treks that roll on for miles.

Have taken to walking with poles, specifically Pacer Poles as help significantly with both uphill paths and reduction in hand swelling. My wife and I would never consider walking Caminos without our poles now. We completed Primativo in Sept/Oct this year, and found them very supportive for reasons noted above.

Obviously each of us has our own correct answer to this question. Mine is this. I always rejected the idea of poles, thought it was a stupid idea. Then at age 62 I experienced an episode of vertigo. I’ve pretty well recovered but discovered that I’m a little unsure and unbalanced especially when going down a descending trail. Someone suggested trying a pole and the result is fantastic. If I knew then what I know now, I would have always taken a pole with me. The first day on my first Camino was really rough especially on my ankles. The same route with a pole on my second Camino was a breeze. I’ve found carrying a single pole to come in handy when traversing through mud and a slick trail. I’m not one of those walkers who march through their Camino click-click-click but I wouldn’t do it again without one.

My first Camino I walked with two poles. My fingers tend to swell and this helped a lot. However, after a while I found them to be a bit cumbersome. My next two Caminos I used one pole and would switch sides when needed and that kept my fingers from becoming little sausages. Also, I found going downhill with one pole worked better. If you get collapsible poles, you can always pack one away.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I like them for 3 reasons.
  1. They help the knees. The weight of your arms is now borne by the poles, not your knees.
  2. They reduce/eliminate the hand swelling.
  3. Most importantly, they really help with balance on rough terrain, especially downhills. I can't imagine the descent into Roncesvalles without them.

I have now completed 8 different caminos and never found the need for walking poles. If you are worried about swelling on the hands and fingers, periodically raise your arms from the elbows and hold on to the shoulder straps of your rucksack to help any build up of fluid to disperse. It is nice to have the hands free for looking at instructions or holding a camera, without poles getting in the way.

I walked the Le Puy for 14 days without them. I don’t use them. However I had to cut my walk short as I got terrible blisters despite having comfortable supportive shoes and wonder if having poles might have helped.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
All the answers pro and con...for what its worth here are my 5 cents (US)
I LOVE poles! For years and years I own a pair of cheap Swiss Gear Hiking Poles (they are on Amazon right now for slightly over $20.00 - IIRC I paid about $14.00 eons ago) and they never let me down.
They went to Alaska, Machu Picchu, Europe and numerous long\short hikes throughout US....and they WILL come on Frances come May 22
For me - they provide 'stability' and I found that it helps me to develop a rhythm of walking when i use them. Cannot place enough value in them in hilly\mountainous conditions, esp. going downhill when they allow me to 'probe' if you will the immediate part of the path in front of me (although climbing all those steps UP on Camino Inca was a true Blessing in itself!)
The only downside is that at certain times they are a bit of bother if you use the wrist bands and need to do some function with a given arm (for example if you need to raise the arm- the pole will dangle... something of a sort so you hopefully get the meaning). If you have wired headphones, based on where your phone\music player is - also need to be mindful so the wire does not interfere.
All-in-all I'd rather have them. If I feel like taking a part of the long hike without using them, I can always collapse them and tie to the backpack.

It is nice to have the hands free for looking at instructions or holding a camera, without poles getting in the way.
This is somewhat true. However, if you're using the straps, the poles can just hang from your wrists as you snap a photo. Although they can be a little annoying if you're trying to do something more complicated. I've also attached an action camera mount to the bottom of one of my poles and the pole makes a great selfie stick which can be deployed more quickly than a regular selfie stick.

I had never used poles (or a backpack) before my first Camino. I learned about Pacer Poles on the forum, and they seemed to be "idiot proof," so I decided that they would be perfect for me. 😉
I've used them on all of my Caminos. I don't use poles when I'm hiking at home without a backpack, but I find them really helpful while wearing a pack, because they help readjust my center of gravity amongst their other benefits. (less strain on knees, avoiding falls, no finger swelling, keeping my arms toned, etc.)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I certainly love my trekking poles and have used poles for many years. If I walk without poles my fingers will swell and it is nothing to do with hydration or backpacks: I walk with poles no swelling, I walk without poles and my fingers swell!
I started with Pacer poles which help you to use the right technique. For my Camino I bought Leki Micro Vario Carbon because they are lightweight and fold up inside my pack when travelling (I check in my pack when flying).
What ever poles you choose do learn how to use them properly and practice. A great video is How to Use Trekking Poles (Like a Boss) I don't use them technically all the time but my poles are so light and well balanced I will just swing them, lightly touching the ground, between using them more technically. I don't even think about it these days.

I use hiking poles every time I walk a Camino. I find that those having trouble with them are using them wrong and waste even more energy. Two simple rules. on level ground and up hill hiking, the pole tips should never come forward of your heals. Going down hill use them for balance in front of you. When used properly they can save you a lot of energy.

I used to backpack and hike without poles, disdaining them. Then, during my first Camino, my hands swelled up (a first for me). I decided to try poles and went with Pacer Poles. Months of training followed by walking from SJPdP to SdC to Finisterra to Muxia, then from Ferrol to SdC all in little over a month. Love my Pacer Poles. No blisters, easy to use, very helpful. I can't say enough good things about them (other than the fact that I can't carry them with me on the plane).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Poles help against hand swelling, help with stability on tricky terrain, relieve weight from knees, and even a tad bit help propel you forward faster. All on condition you use them correctly. You can walk without them but given all the benefits it would be silly.

Any tricks to help with the swelling of the hands and fingers also greatly appreciated?

I have never used poles, I walk with a staff which I find is a great help walking on level ground as well as going up or down. And yes, fingers can swell but here is a simple and effective trick that I use: just gently clench your fists a couple of times and the swelling will ease off.

I won't answer finger swelling because several people have commented on this. However I use them as they help your balance going up and down hill and also if used correctly (not swung about like you are conducting an orchestra) they take a percentage wear of your legs and knees. This may only be 5 or 10% but over the course of a long distance walk this will be considerable.

One consideration is the ergometrics of using poles. How and where you hold poles will affect things like stride length, cadence, etc. Also, the length of the poles will affect how you ascend (typically shorter length and stride) and descend (typically longer length and longer stride). Perhaps thinking about/watching videos of the use of ski poles in various disciplines (moguls [short], downhill [standard], cross country [long]) might be helpful in seeing how things can differ.

I have seen questionable pole use on several caminos (holding at shoulder height, holding at thigh height, hands on top of poles, etc.) which would not seem to meet the goals of the users. I hope your experimentation results in what you want your poles to accomplish.

I hiked for years without poles - they seemed superflous. I gradually came to appreciate their utility in many ways and now use them (6,000 miles plus) for any hike longer than a day. I sometimes use them on day hikes.
Poles help your balance (think tightrope walker).
Poles assist pacing (they accentuate the natural movement of arms while walking).
Poles distribute the muscular exertion, putting some on your arms (think 4-wheel drive).
Poles take a load off knee and foot joints (up to 25%, I've read), especially on downhills.
Poles are great defense against aggressive dogs, etc. (saved my skin in France).
And yes, poles keep blood circulating through your arms and hands, reducing pooling.
That is my experience with poles.
P.S. Most skiers know the value of poles and how to use them.

Last edited:
Bit puzzled as to why you think they might be useful in Oedema (swelling due to fluid retention). Daft as it may sound the useful response to that is drinking water
Hiking poles can help prevent your fingers swelling. I imagine it's because when you walk without them, your hands are usually lower and swinging back and forth like a large pendulum. I know that when I had the swelling happen, I would walk for a while with my arms and hands up above my head trying to let gravity take its course. But aside from that, hiking poles can increase stability--especially when trying to get through a muddy, rocky, or steep stretch of trail. They also take some load off your knees, knees, and feet and increase the work that your arms do. Finally, they are great for holding up tents, discouraging dogs, and holding laundry in hotel rooms.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Normally, i walk without poles. But when you keep in mind that while walking El Camino you carry a backpack of 6 to 8 kg and you have these steep descents… those poles really help you with balance and to get some pressure off your knees… 😀

We wouldn't hike a Camino without our Pacer poles.

Pacer's are different to the usual style of pole. They are not cheap but we have found that we can easily transfer weight through the handles which is very helpful for the old knees and stability on general.

From a pure physics point of view, not having any expertise whatsoever here I admit, but I suspect that wearing a backpack of some weight - say 7 kgs, actually make one's body top heavy. Therefore a small stumble or trip on a stone becomes a major unexpected weight challenge on the body given the top heaviness and it is therefore very easy to become unstable and out of control in an instant.

Poles give so much extra stability. It's like having four feet instead of two.

But as you've read here, there are people who would rather walk without poles, some prefer a stick, some prefer poles.

If you do decide to walk with poles, it might be an idea to learn to walk properly using them correctly (youtube is great for this) and please put rubber stoppers on the ends. :)

I had not heard of the connection between using poles and swollen fingers, however, the answers given by earlier commenters make sense.

In my younger years, I ran marathons and ultra marathons, before that during 10 years of part time military service, I walked many miles over rough terrain carrying a heavy pack, rifle, radio and extra ammunition.

So when I first heard of people walking with poles, I was dismissive and declared I would never use them.

In my 50s, a move to a different continent, change of lifestyle, knee problems and then, a heart attack at age 60, put an end to my running and other vigorous sports.

I started walking and set my mind on a shorter Camino de Santiago. On a training walk with our local Pilgrims association, I observed how easily other older walkers managed difficult terrain when using walking poles.

Biting back my previous sarcastic comments, I tried using two old ski poles on my morning walks. I was hooked and bought a pair of collapsible walking poles.

In 2019 at age 69, I walked from Porto to Santiago with the poles. I honestly believe that I would have fallen many times on the rocky parts of the off-road sections and on the cobbles stone roads without them. In the first two days of the inland route, the roads are very narrow with (in some places) no sidewalks. In the semi dark early mornings when the roads are busy, a fall could have resulted in a nasty accident with a passing vehicle.

I also noticed that after walking with poles every day, my arm and shoulder muscles seemed to improve in strength and appearance.

Now, I won't walk without them.

Lots of hot, humid summer hiking has taught me to take along a golf ball and run it around in my palm, squeezing and releasing the pressure with my fingers; transferring it from hand to hand as desired: voila: no more ‘fat hand syndrome’

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Lots of hot, humid summer hiking has taught me to take along a golf ball and run it around in my palm, squeezing and releasing the pressure with my fingers; transferring it from hand to hand as desired: voila: no more ‘fat hand syndrome’
More…just returned from second CF three weeks ago: it worked quite well 😳

When I walked in 2016 it was the first time I experienced swelling of the hands while backpacking, and I experienced it from the first day. I was told walking with my hands held high would alleviate it, and it did, somewhat, but it is tiring. I didn't get poles to avoid the hand swelling. I got them when my knees were in terrible shape and everything else I tried (lots of Advil, knee braces, a hiking staff) didn't seem to be enough. But when I did get the poles the hand swelling disappeared right away. I can't say why it works, but it does. I suspect it has something to do with the arms not swinging down with the same motion.

Aloha,
My hands swell too, which prevents wearing rings
P
Hi Kitkat, I too have hands that swell. I ordered a product from ULA I had seen years ago, but noted for my trip when I finally was able to go (April). I've seen homemade versions of these also, where they are a little more like a sling (and padded). But these were cheap so I thought I'd start here (you could add some hiker's wool to cushion a little):

20060912HHHandLoops-2.JPG

Compression fingerless gloves are also used a lot with walkers to help with this.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:

€60,-
But when I did get the poles the hand swelling disappeared right away. I can't say why it works, but it does
The article that I posted above explains why it works. 😉

Here's the main points:

Something interesting about the cardiovascular system is that the blood pumping through our arteries, the big pulsating vessels we feel when we check our pulse, are almost entirely pumped by the heart. The heart contracts, much like squeezing a balloon full of water, and blood comes out of the hole. However, when the blood is returning back to the heart to be cycled again the blood is to a significant degree pumped because of contracting muscles in our limbs. They have one way valves in them so when we contract a muscle that is wrapped around a vein, it pumps the blood forward. And when that contraction ceases, the blood is unable to flow backwards. That repetitive contraction of our legs and arms pushes the blood forward, back to our heart. The reason we don’t experience edema in our legs on long hikes isn’t simply because of no backpack straps compressing the vasculature, but mostly because of our constantly contracting and relaxing leg muscles. When we use trekking poles, we continually contract the muscles in our arms and push that blood back toward the heart, preventing pooling by overcoming those barriers created by the backpack straps.

75 y/o on our last walk this past October, and the old balance ain't what it used to be. But the main reason that I use poles is to help push myself up hills nordic-skiing style. I am pretty strong of arm but feeble of leg so taking 10-15 lbs or more carcass load off the legs by boosting myself up with the poles really helps.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The older I get the more I appreciate them! If I walk without and let my hands swing along my fingers inevitably swell. Using poles elevates my hands and my fingers don't swell - the alternative, for me, is to hook my thumbs into my pack straps to elevate my hands.
The other thing to consider is how you'll get them to Spain - loads of conversations about this. Best to buy there unless you, like me, get devoted to PacerPoles.
Agree with all you have said @Jeff Crawley ; I have exactly the same problem and do as you do - it works!

We have walked Pennine Way, Offas Dyke, Pembrokeshire, Ravenber Way in UK and Kumano in Japan. Learned to use poles in New Zealand years ago- would never walk without them now. High quality lightweight adjustable poles are key.
I use Leki Travelers with a velcro wrist "glove" that snaps on and off poles. Poles shift 20% of weight off your legs and lower body and allow you to use arm muscles to propel you along. So takes longer to develop "rubber legs". They save your knees. They prevent falls- mine have saved me from slipping over cliffs twice in rainy muddy weather. Not to mention catching my trips from my bum knee. You will not notice the weight if you use them in your hands all the time. (if you carry them 100 miles without use, that is just foolishness). I rarely carry mine.

I like foldable poles to fit in luggage. (you can't carry on a plane!)

That said, they take some practice. I walk with them everyday and it is now so natural I never have to think about it. It is like you don't think about comfortable high quality boots, they just work. Cheers!

Poles help build upper arm strength. Using poles also helps burn 20-40% more calories! You can then have a second helping, or another pint!
Yup. A concern before my first Camino was to maintain muscle tone in my arms while walking for over a month. I know myself well enough to know that it was unlikely that I would do any upper body exercises after a day of walking. So putting my arms to work using poles was the best solution. 💪

€60,-
Poles can be used for many different reasons, but if the only reason you are considering using them is swelling in the fingers then the easiest resolution for this is to do stretches of the hands. Make a fist and then stretch out the fingers to their fullest. Repeat this 10 times. Do it every 15 minutes or so. Hands hanging down and swinging of course worsen edema in the hands, so lift them up sometimes and put them on your hips or on your shoulder straps of the pack. Motion of the fingers with elevation and avoiding swinging them rapidly is what you need to combat swelling. As an ER doctor this is my recommendation. Most people set their poles at about waist height. This is not adequate elevation to make a difference. People who do this believe the poles are doing the treatment but it is the repeated change of grip pressure of the fingers that is doing the treatment.

As a parkinson's patient with lots of arthritis and artificial knees I have other reasons to take poles along, but I would not take them if you don't need the walk assist.

I am 73 years old. I did the Frances first in '16 when I was 68. I have done the Frances again, the Portuguese, and the Ingles. I wouldn't walk without poles. There are many places where poles are needed to brace your footing and the poles take great pressure off your ankles, knees, hips, and back.

€60,-
Thank you much appreciated, as far as the Oedema is concerened they said that poles helped with the swelling because the poles meant that their arms were elevated all the time. Might have up to my water whilst walking.
I was SO glad that I had hiking poles. I'd never used them before in walking/hiking. During my Camino Frances, about my day 20, I had the fun surprise of developing some tendonitis in one foot. OMG I was glad to have the help of the poles (and ibuprofen). I learned that when I do the Caminho Portugues next October, I will definitely include poles.
Ultreia!

I was SO glad that I had hiking poles. I'd never used them before in walking/hiking. During my Camino Frances, about my day 20, I had the fun surprise of developing some tendonitis in one foot. OMG I was glad to have the help of the poles (and ibuprofen). I learned that when I do the Caminho Portugues next October, I will definitely include poles.
Ultreia! Kathleen

I don't like poles either. We did take them on the Primitivo and they were useful when we decended some steep gravel after the Hospitales. That said, my wife still went her length twice and on one occasion bent one of her pole. They say they take about 20% of the strain off your knees. There were plenty of young people on my Camino with their knees strapped up with poles. I'm doing the full CF in May and won't bother with poles. As for your fingers, mine do that 'bloodpooling' thing, end up like Sausages..... If you carry anything, walking pole, dog lead it normally stops it. So if mine start swelling I will simply carry my small bottle of water in my hand, and every now and again swap hands.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Honestly, I think it depends on which Camino you will be going on. The steeper the ascent or descent the more useful to have them. No need to overthink how to use them as it will become natural after a short walk with them. I had cheap ones which I grew very fond of, which you just twisted to lengthen or shorten. Sadly I left them in a bar and hubby bought me more expensive ones with clips. They are not nearly as good and I’ve had to tighten the screws. I recommend getting ones with three collapsible sections for packing purposes and read the maintenance instructions as apparently oiling them is a no no! :)

I use poles for caminos as they eliminate finger swelling and ease the burden on the knees and back over long distances. I read that they assist in reducing the load by a noticeable percentage but don’t have that data in front of me. For day hiking steep hikes, I should use them but tend not to, out of convenience.
They certainly work for me!

I got this pair from Amazon- they have cork grips and adjust easily, even long enough for my 6’ 6“ camino partner. At $36, I’d have been ok if they were lost but I found them helpful more often than not. Interesting article, but I have hand swelling without a pack too. ?https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N69RARX/?tag=casaivar02-20
Thank you for your insight and the link. My husband is very tall with bad knees. I took your advice and just ordered each of us a pair of these poles.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am 73 years old. I did the Frances first in '16 when I was 68. I have done the Frances again, the Portuguese, and the Ingles. I wouldn't walk without poles. There are many places where poles are needed to brace your footing and the poles take great pressure off your ankles, knees, hips, and back.
Me too. Poles help me maintain my balance, especially when crossing streams. However, I discovered another unintended use of poles, and that is to ward off barking dogs. Apparently you can enlarge your physical image - as viewed by the dogs - by stretching your arms holding the poles. It worked for me!

I can see how poles can help (good article). Personally though, I prefer to have my hands free. I walked the CF in 2019 at the age of 66. I walked with a young Irishman of 25, and another Frenchman also of 66. Both of them had brought walking poles. The young Irishman had even trained with poles back home, but after a few days on the CF he left them on a donativo table because he felt they were always getting in the way of something or other. Perhaps he was not using them properly, but there you go. I hope someone else was able to benefit. As for my other companion, I did not even know that he had poles. I only found out when we reached O Pedrouzo (i.e after 760 kms!) on the second to last day, and he told me that he was sorry he had brought walking poles because he had carried them the whole way and had never even taken them out of his pack! So that's my experience. But I can see from the comments and posts there are many valid and personal reasons to use either one or two poles ... just as there are many valid and personal reasons to go without. And, a pilgrim can always change their mind either way, even while on the Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Aloha,
My hands swell too, which prevents wearing rings

P

Hi Kitkat, I too have hands that swell. I ordered a product from ULA I had seen years ago, but noted for my trip when I finally was able to go (April). I've seen homemade versions of these also, where they are a little more like a sling (and padded). But these were cheap so I thought I'd start here (you could add some hiker's wool to cushion a little):

20060912HHHandLoops-2.JPG

Compression fingerless gloves are also used a lot with walkers to help with this.

Buen Camino!
Clever idea

Love this forum such great views from both sides and some novel ways of using your poles. So I bit the bullet and bought a cheap set to see if they will help with, aches, pains and swelling or whether they will just get in the way. I am hoping they will help towards the end of a long days walk to help prevent 'rubber legs' or make those last few kms a little easier.

Last edited:
I took my walking poles from US by placing them in a FedEx carton and checking them in as my free bag (I had that option, if not you would have to pay a fee depending on your airline).

Returning, I had my backpack, with the attached poles, shrink wrapped at Barajas and checked it all in. I was not concerned with things getting lost after completing el Camino so in everything went!

I never walk/hike without at least one pole, but mostly two. In Florida they have been used to move snakes and critters off the path; and, in hiking trails elsewhere, they have saved my toes from getting bruised when going downhill. They keep the knees uno jures as well. I favor Pacers, the hubs favors Leki, and our daughter favors REI carbon steel walking poles. They all have cork-like handles which I find are great for a steady grip.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Me too. Poles help me maintain my balance, especially when crossing streams. However, I discovered another unintended use of poles, and that is to ward off barking dogs. Apparently you can enlarge your physical image - as viewed by the dogs - by stretching your arms holding the poles. It worked for me!
I think you do that with bears too; I believe they are near sighted. I didn't know that about dogs. Any bears we should be worried about 😀?

I'd never used poles before my first Camino, but once I'd trained with them and learnt the correct technique I'd never be without them. If liken it to the difference between 2 wheel & 4 wheel drive. They help helped push me up the hills & stabilised me on the downhills.
I walked behind people who were basically carrying their poles which looked so tiring & others who were all out of rhythm with their steps, so practice is important.
Collapsible with friction levers rather than screw tightening is the way I went and was glad on the cold mornings as I doubt I'd have been able to tighten the screws. Take some spare rubber tips as well, I wore out a pair and lost one down a gully grating covered in leaves.

Love this forum such great views from both sides and some novel ways of using them. So bit the bullet brought a cheap set to see if they will help with, aches, pains and swelling or whether they will just get in the way. I am hoping they will towards the end of a days walk to help prevent 'rubber legs' or make those last few kms a little easier.
Did you think to get any spare rubber tips? Depending on their hardness and the surface you're walking over they can wear out quickly.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think you do that with bears too; I believe they are near sighted. I didn't know that about dogs. Any bears we should be worried about 😀?
I think we are ok for bears? this is where someone proves me wrong lol? But your right those that have thru hiked the Appalachian Trail have said the same with regard to frightening them off.

I think poles are useful when backpacking if you use them correctly. Firstly, think of them as giving you four legs and you move right leg and left pole alternatively with left leg and right pole. This way you always have 2 'legs' on the ground which means there is less weight and stress on your actual leg. Secondly, it is important that you transfer you weight to the pole via the strap on the pole and not by gripping the pole. This way you only need to hold the pole lightly in order to swing it forward and you are not putting any pressure on your fingers. Sorry if I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs!

Can't speak about their use in regards to hand swelling, but they helped me tremendously on inclines and declines. My bag was heavy, and I know I would have struggled climbing the Pyrenees. If you ever have to step off the trail due to nature calling, there are ditches running parallel to the camino in various areas which are at a lower level, but are sometimes hard to notice due to them being completely covered in vegetation. The sticks saved me from taking a nasty spill on more than one occasion by allowing me to notice the differences in ground level as I momentarily exited the path. I also found them extremely helpful in allowing me to shift my weight in order to assist with a tender foot or ankle. I've never used hiking poles before. I did watch a tutorial on YouTube-pre Camino- explaining their proper use-and I'm glad I did. I would never hike without them. I purchased a pair at the store in SJPP-(hiking store) and shipped them back home from SDC. It took about a month for them to arrive. Hope this helps.

My wife and I walked 4 caminos.. we can’t imagine walking without poles. To many slippery walks and very rocky paths. You stabilize your body. When you trip the poles keep you upright. google benefit’s of using walking poles. We use them still on any off pavement walks. Cheers
caminowalkaboutplata.blogspot.com

A little late to this Casa Ivar version of a flash mob but here is my take on poles. I do believe they are very much a personal preference. I use one pole pretty consistently when walking distances more than 5 miles. My wife uses 2 somewhat inconsistently but we use them for very different reasons. My wife uses them to help her with her pacing, plain and simple.

But I have knee problems in both knees. Down hill, even walking down steps, give me a bit of a problem so the poles help me maintain some control over my stability. Secondly I have discovered, through a thread on this very forum, and agree that my progressive lenses tend to distort my ability to judge fine distance when looking down at my feet. By using the pole I can, much easier, judge the distance to the next downward step again increasing my perception and stability. I usually only use one and don't use it for any real weight bearing although I do depend on it if I am on lose gravel to avoid sliding. Occasionally I switch arms or use 2 poles, but 90% of the time it is just one pole in my left hand.

And yes it does seem to help with avoiding finger swelling.

Good luck with your choice and remember, they are not superglued to your hands so you can use them intermittently as your comfort dictates.

I use poles for caminos as they eliminate finger swelling and ease the burden on the knees and back over long distances. I read that they assist in reducing the load by a noticeable percentage but don’t have that data in front of me. For day hiking steep hikes, I should use them but tend not to, out of convenience.
They certainly work for me!
I've noticed the difference if I put some of my weight on the poles. Obviously that is different than what many people do—just tap the ground with them as they go along. But a bigger benefit for me is to keep from falling when the surface is neither solid nor flat.

One disadvantage I found with poles was that the ones I bought first were about four centimeters too long to fit in an airline carry-on bag! And it was a heck of a search to find a pair that wasn't the exact same length for the next trip!

aussieozjane said:
Hi, I'm currently looking to purchase some trekking poles, and am overwhelmed by choice. I've read reviews on the Komperdells which say the duo locking device does not work that well, reviews on the Leki Diva's that are a bit so so - then there are the Jacko Prostars and the Nordic walking poles plus many more.

Can anyone help with a bit of advice on the best poles you've had?

Many thanks
Jane
( redirected from: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/advice-on-trekking-poles-please.8523/)

A lot depends upon what you want out of the poles?
Is your focus or priority, comfort, weight, durability, price etc.?
See this review for 2021 of the various poles. I, personally am a fan of LEKI poles. Aluminum poles are more durable than the carbon poles, but carbons are not-as heavy Personally, I am not a fan of the externally locking systems. Cork handles help prevent sweating and blisters.

Last edited:

€60,-
Did you think to get any spare rubber tips? Depending on their hardness and the surface you're walking over they can wear out quickly.
I use Leki Micro Vario and have used them on my first Camino in ´14 and subsequent three trips and on my training trips at home too..
My tips have still not worn down, but I do take them off in gravel and on rocks where a good grip is nescessary.
Tips remain in thigh pocket and are applied in towns and on tarmac....

Last edited:
A little late to this Casa Ivar version of a flash mob but here is my take on poles. I do believe they are very much a personal preference. I use one pole pretty consistently when walking distances more than 5 miles. My wife uses 2 somewhat inconsistently but we use them for very different reasons. My wife uses them to help her with her pacing, plain and simple.

But I have knee problems in both knees. Down hill, even walking down steps, give me a bit of a problem so the poles help me maintain some control over my stability. Secondly I have discovered, through a thread on this very forum, and agree that my progressive lenses tend to distort my ability to judge fine distance when looking down at my feet. By using the pole I can, much easier, judge the distance to the next downward step again increasing my perception and stability. I usually only use one and don't use it for any real weight bearing although I do depend on it if I am on lose gravel to avoid sliding. Occasionally I switch arms or use 2 poles, but 90% of the time it is just one pole in my left hand.

And yes it does seem to help with avoiding finger swelling.

Good luck with your choice and remember, they are not superglued to your hands so you can use them intermittently as your comfort dictates.
It will certainly be interesting to learn how to use them, but if they help with sausage fingers and the added sense of stability on rough terrain I am willing to try them out.

aussieozjane said:
Hi, I'm currently looking to purchase some trekking poles, and am overwhelmed by choice. I've read reviews on the Komperdells which say the duo locking device does not work that well, reviews on the Leki Diva's that are a bit so so - then there are the Jacko Prostars and the Nordic walking poles plus many more.

Many thanks
Jane
( redirected from: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/advice-on-trekking-poles-please.8523/)

See this review for 2021 of the various poles. I, personally am a fan of LEKI poles. Aluminum poles are more durable than the carbon poles, but carbons are not-as heavy Personally, I am not a fan of the externally locking systems. Cork handles help prevent sweating and blisters.

Never used poles, before so as recommended on this thread opted for budget friendly poles with the best reviews on Amazon that were light weight. That way I haven't broke the bank account if I don't like them.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We just got back from the Camino Portugues and used hiking poles. I got cheap ones with a cork grip from Amazon. I loved my hiking poles. A marked difference in exertion between when I used them and not. I don't think we would have finished without them. Two pro tips -- 1) take extra rubber tips. We wore through ours pretty quickly and the back up ones as well. We did not find an abundance of replacement tips. 2) I found fingerless weightlifter gloves with padded palms at Decathelon for about five euro. Very helpful. Kept the sun off the backs of my hands, provided a little padding, and I could use my phone for pictures on the fly.

Wow this is a bit of a can of worms that you have opened its like the boots v shoes debate .
poles IMHO take a bit of getting used to particularly if like me you have no sense of rhythm.
Having said that i have saved my knees and legs countless times as a result of there use on steep slopes and they always give me a sense of security.
try them out is my view and good luck
Buen camino

Excellent article! Thank you Trecile for posting the link.
aussieozjane said:

Many thanks
Jane

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topi...//graysoncobb.com/hands-swell-hiking/[/QUOTE]
I like this more general paragraph from his hand edema article:

How to keep your hands from swelling​

Now that I’ve explained the pathophysiology of hand swelling while hiking, I have a couple solutions. My first recommendation is using trekking poles, for so many reasons in addition to totally preventing the hand swelling. They help prevent injuries, make hiking easier, faster, and enable you to bounce down gnarly trails like a mountain goat. You’ll look dumb to everyone who has never used them but hey you already look dumb to everyone back at home relaxing on their sofas.

ir

I highly recommend the Black Diamond Distance Z trekking poles.

I've actually had Z-poles since my 2014 Camino, and they are still going strong. I've heard people say that the Z-poles are fine for going through security, but I haven't chanced it yet. Maybe on my next trip back from Spain, since I will have gotten my money's worth by then.

I LOVED them! They helped me greatly. I never had problems with my hands, I bought them in Pamplona, and I still have them!

We just got back from the Camino Portugues and used hiking poles. I got cheap ones with a cork grip from Amazon. I loved my hiking poles. A marked difference in exertion between when I used them and not. I don't think we would have finished without them. Two pro tips -- 1) take extra rubber tips. We wore through ours pretty quickly and the back up ones as well. We did not find an abundance of replacement tips. 2) I found fingerless weightlifter gloves with padded palms at Decathelon for about five euro. Very helpful. Kept the sun off the backs of my hands, provided a little padding, and I could use my phone for pictures on the fly.
Great idea with the gloves.

Great idea with the gloves.
Gloves, yes a very good idea.
I bought some fingerless sun gloves from Outdoor Research to wear when I use my poles. Your hands are very exposed to sun when you use poles all the time when walking, as I do. I like having my fingers free so I can still take photos easily.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Update on the poles love them. No more sausage fingers, it takes the weight off my joints, adds a little boost up the hills and generally I feel that I walk farther with them. I will be checking them in with my backpack as I am flying Ryanair and their carry on sizes are very small plus I live in Ireland, I know for some of you that live in America they let you bring them onboard the plane, so I might as well check them in with my backpack.

Loved all your advice it's really appreciated.

I always use poles - four Caminos. To use or not depends somewhat on age, I believe. I want to walk as long as possible. Poles are like a cane for older people. Poles take great pressure off the knees and hips. There are some steep inclines and declines on the Caminos. The poles help brace me so that I don't fall. As far as the swelling goes, poles force us to use the arms more. When our arms are at our sides for long periods of time, the hands swell because of less circulation.

I always use poles - four Caminos. To use or not depends somewhat on age, I believe. I want to walk as long as possible. Poles are like a cane for older people. Poles take great pressure off the knees and hips. There are some steep inclines and declines on the Caminos. The poles help brace me so that I don't fall. As far as the swelling goes, poles force us to use the arms more. When our arms are at our sides for long periods of time, the hands swell because of less circulation.
Exactly

€46,-
My wife and I have been using poles to advantage for decades for the reasons thoroughly enumerated here. They are essential for cross country skiing and that basic technic serves well for hiking. The weight of the poles is more than offset by the amount of time the weight or our arms is supported by the poles, a nerdy notion that PCT hikers have served up, That benefit is largely lost if one just pokes periodically at the ground instead using them with a rhymic diagonal stride. Beware, when walking ar speed, of absent mindedly dangling them from your wrists while fiddling with something else. My wife tripped herself and did a nasty face plant that way, and acquired that unpopular raccoon appearance. I used poles for powering up hills too vigorously and the strap over time bruised the base of my thumb. I started wearing biking gloves and they became one of my favorite pieces of equipment. Not only do they provide just enough padding but also give sun protection and welcome warmth on chilly days. We check a cardboard box with our poles and haven‘t had a problem finding a box for return flights.

They help me a lot with this. I think that helping to keep them elevated, and the muscles pumping, helps to reduce the oedema, which happens to me even when I am well hydrated.

I have walked four times and will do my fifth in September, God wiling. I wouldn't walk without poles. Not only do poles help with circulation and swelling in the hands, but they preserve my ankles, knees, and hips for future walks.

If you are considering poles and possibly Pacer Poles, the very best reference comes from another recent post, that asked whether anyone was willing to trade his or her pre-owner Pacer Poles? What you see is that there have been ZERO reactions to the thread.

My knees are rusty and I would not part with my Pacer Poles for the world. They are the difference between walking and not walking the Camino for me. Once Iberia at Madrid airport did not return them in the odd bagage (they told me to go to my Madrid hotel (huh, I only have a midnight Alsa bus to Burgos?) and wait, but instead I camped with my backpack right next to the customer desk and insisted that I would not leave until they retrieved them, which ultimately happened hours later into the night. Ever since, I check my backpack with the poles folded in it.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.