• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking poles recommendation.

MickMac

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2013
Frances 2016
Frances 2017
Frances 2018
Frances 2018
Ponferrada-Santiago
July 2019
Hi on my camino walk 2013 I will always remember the sound of hiking poles behind me in the distance getting closer then passing me. Every pole carrying pilgim recommended I use them (It was to late I ignored them and kept walking)). I would like to know which poles that pilgrims recommend, I would prefer fold up ones ,but are they stong enough ??.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Pacer poles for me too. I used them practically every step, but always with rubber tips through towns and villages.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm a Pacer Poles convert. My knees and back are less stressed, as has been said, particularly on ups and downs.
Annie

What's the best way to bring poles when you are traveling by plane Internationally, I can send them with a duffle for my time before and after, but I am going to have to go by plane from that location to Madrid.

Kris

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the pacer poles. the are retractable, light and very comfortable to use.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Pacer poles for me too. I used them practically every step, but always with rubber tips through towns and villages.

Same with me. The only thing I would have done was order longer metal tips for when I have to walk in deep, heavy mud but yes, pacer poles for me and yes, rubber tips + 2 extra for walking on concrete roads in towns I passed by that have uphill & downhill stretches-otherwise if it's flatland I just hook them up on my backpack.

Leki Micro Sticks are light and comfortable in use. Also they FOLD into a very short length so convenient if going into a church/bar/restaurant etc. or to stow in rucsac. BUT they are not adjustable so essential to get the right length. **Best Buy**

I got mine in Aldi for about €15 and they are GREAT! I used them for the camino back in 2012 and they are still going strong (just needed to replace the tips which is normal). Rocktrail is the brand. Light aluminium frame and very robust with a nice cork handle which is good in hot weather (less sweaty). LOVE THEM :) They were back in the Ireland-based stores only about 2 weeks ago :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Poles are not for anyone. After watching so many other people walking with them, I tried them too. After a while I just found out it just wasn't for me at this moment.
So therefor my advice is to try some cheap ones first. Later you can always treat yourself and buy some really nice ones.

I got mine in Aldi for about €15 and they are GREAT! I used them for the camino back in 2012 and they are still going strong (just needed to replace the tips which is normal). Rocktrail is the brand. Light aluminium frame and very robust with a nice cork handle which is good in hot weather (less sweaty). LOVE THEM :) They were back in the Ireland-based stores only about 2 weeks ago :)

I too used the same Lidl poles for 2 caminos and they're still going strong now when I'm on my training walks. I had never used poles before so didn't want to buy expensive ones to start with...
I'm now wondering about the Pacer Poles though since you all seem to be so pleased with them :)

I have Black Diamond poles with cork handles that angle for easy grasp. They collapse for travel and are adjustable and do have rubber tips as well as metal tips depending on your need. They are kind of heavy but I love them and plan on using them on the flat part of the CF. The use of poles keeps your arms moving and your hands won't swell as much as if they "hang down". I think this is more a problem for women than men from comments on the forum but it is just my observation from other threads.
Stefania

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I like using a single pole for use as a brake walking down steep hills. Other than that poles are a useless weight on the mainly flat stretches of the camino. There isn't enough hill walking to make it worth it.

In cool weather they wick heat away from your hand. Mine was strapped to my pack when the cooler weather started mid November particularly as I found I was simply carrying it most of the time.

Transportation is easy. You telescope the pole and put it in or strap it to your pack. I check my bags ... the only thing that should be in the cabin are your shiny objects and stuff that you will use during the flight.

They are dangerous if you use them incorrectly. On the Torres del Paine circuit I found several abandoned and broken by people who tried to use them in situations where there was sideways stress put on them, typically in places where hand and foot clambering was required ... something you won't experience on the camino. I can only imagine how people managed to avoid impaling themselves.

I used Black Diamond carbon fibre Z poles. They were fantastic. They fold up rather than retract or telescope. They are very lightweight and comfortable. Be sure to get the right length. Couldn't do without them.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you take your (rather expensive) poles with you, mark them with colour tape or a little cute ribbon. Some albergues don't allow poles in the bedrooms, and in the morning, when everybody is rushing to leave, a confussion is possible. I saw this a couple of times, and their owners were not pleased.
Btw, last time I also saw quite a few lost or discarded rubber tips on the Camino, specially on the way to Alto del Perdon. I suppose they become tangled with roots, gravel and mud.

Definitely Pacer Poles. The shaping and placement of the handles makes them far superior to all other walking poles in my opinion and experience. Previously I never found poles to my liking, I just couldn't get comfortable holding them until finding Pacer Poles. I found I can walk faster and up and down hill with more ease.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi on my camino walk 2013 I will always remember the sound of hiking poles behind me in the distance getting closer then passing me. Every pole carrying pilgim recommended I use them (It was to late I ignored them and kept walking)). I would like to know which poles that pilgrims recommend, I would prefer fold up ones ,but are they stong enough ??.
See my picture:
These are very light, mine are 270g a pair and can be folded together to 40 cm. They have carried me through a lot of arroyos (floods in spring) on via de la Plata and up and down the P yrenees and hills in Norway for several years.
Randi

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    402.6 KB · Views: 58
I like using a single pole for use as a brake walking down steep hills. Other than that poles are a useless weight on the mainly flat stretches of the camino. There isn't enough hill walking to make it worth it.
My experience is quite different. I find poles just as beneficial on level ground as slopes. Used properly, they will reduce the load being carried on your lower joints in all circumstances, as well improve your stability on slopes.

I have used a variety of brands, and would recommend Komperdell or Leki. I have had mixed results from less expensive re-branded poles. In the end, none have lasted long with regular use, and personally wouldn't go down that path again. There are other reputable brands - just be prepared to get what you pay for.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Its the handles that make such a difference with Pacer Poles and worth noting that they are post free worldwide from their Website.

Yes, absolutely.
My disability includes nerve damage that causes my hands to go to sleep when in a certain position.
I cannot hold onto a regular hiking pole for long.
The pacer poles put my hands in a very natural position not only for walking, but if I need to lean and put weight on them, they are awesome. They also have a camera mount built in. I love them.

What's the best way to bring poles when you are traveling by plane Internationally, I can send them with a duffle for my time before and after, but I am going to have to go by plane from that location to Madrid.

Kris
I put mine in the hold, Kris, just to be sure. Others may do differently, but you don't mess with the 'security peeps' in the UK.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Last time I took poles, I put them in a mailing tube and checked them.
They actually were opened by security, but made it albeit a little late.

I did exactly the same thing. I didn't think I wanted poles in my hand AND a pack on my back. By the time I got to Santo Domingo I knew I couldn't survive without some and bought a pair of Leki Makalu Softlite at a super sports store there. I would never have made it to Santiago without them. They were superlight, strong, and dependable.

I used poles from REI. They "folded" down to a size that fit my pack. I had a hard time getting used to them in training before the Camino and was worried about my ability to use them (not to mention the I-look-dorky factor).

However, I found them invaluable quite quickly. For balance and power.

Uphill. Downhill. they change you from a two-legged creature into a four-legged creature. You will find this to be quite handy on many sections of the Camino.

I did not use them on flat terrain, preferring to use my natural body mechanics instead. I figured it was important to keep my muscles and posture in good shape and not use the poles as a "crutch."

Do you want to hobble into Santiago or prance??!!

It drove me absolutely berserk when people would drag them along the ground with each step - the constant scraping was most disturbing. And I could only imagine how the locals felt, hearing that metal/rubber on stone scraping sound every single day, over and over!!! PLEASE lift your poles between steps, don't drag them.

I met a pilgrim (a man less than half my age) along the way who had had to buy poles because sections of the Camino were wrecking his knees. He had telescoping poles and the telescoping had given way so when you put weight on them, they just collapsed (indicates how much he needed to use them; if you use them from the beginning, you stand less of a chance to be in this condition).

Anyway, I had duct tape in my pack and we wrapped lots of it around the faulty section of the pole and he was able to continue. I found out later that he made me a story on the Camino - his Camino Angel - because I saved his poles, and, therefore, his knees.

Use poles. You'll figure out the best way to make them work for you. Get collapsable ones for convenience. PLEEEEEEEZ don't drag them on the ground.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Not sure this is the right place to post but I have just been practising up and down the road with my new pacer poles! They're wonderful! I did a Nordic walk course this winter, only to keep-fit and it seems to me they work on the same principle. Except the handles are fabulous!
Thanks for the recommendation :)

We are halfway through the Chemin Stevenson. The Costco $29,95 carbon fiber poles are great, and come out every descent.

I agree with "Thomas1962". I was not sure about poles so I waited until Pamplona and bought a single pole for 9 Euros! It treated me well.

Black Diamond carbon fibre Z poles are the best trekking poles I've used of many brands, including Leki, Komperdell, and REI. They are extremely lightweight, they fold into a very compact package for stowage in a pack or suitcase, they are strong, and they do not have adjustable length, which is a prime factor in trekking pole failure at the joint. They do not collapse when heavily stressed. If you choose the right size, these are the perfect poles. When properly used they are useful uphill, downhill, and flat. I've added 10 to 15 years to my hiking life because of less wear and tear on my hips, knees, and ankles.

Black Diamond carbon fibre Z poles are the best trekking poles I've used of many brands, including Leki, Komperdell, and REI. They are extremely lightweight, they fold into a very compact package for stowage in a pack or suitcase, they are strong, and they do not have adjustable length, which is a prime factor in trekking pole failure at the joint. They do not collapse when heavily stressed. If you choose the right size, these are the perfect poles. When properly used they are useful uphill, downhill, and flat. I've added 10 to 15 years to my hiking life because of less wear and tear on my hips, knees, and ankles.

I've just started the 'training phase' of my Camino, hoping I'll still be alive in a year and a half to do it (I'm 67 now). Just purchased Black diamond carbon fiber Z poles to try out. I am aware of the 90 degree recommendation but find that, at 5'6", long torso and short legs, the 120cm seems to fit me better. Are they too long for me? I have wonky knees and need the support, especially downhill.

I've just started the 'training phase' of my Camino, hoping I'll still be alive in a year and a half to do it (I'm 67 now). Just purchased Black diamond carbon fiber Z poles to try out. I am aware of the 90 degree recommendation but find that, at 5'6", long torso and short legs, the 120cm seems to fit me better. Are they too long for me? I have wonky knees and need the support, especially downhill.

I am 5'7" and my Black Diamond carbon fiber Z poles are 110 cm. My wife is 5'1" and uses 100 cm. poles. 120 cm. seems too long for 5'6". Do you have experience with trekking poles? If you do and like a longer pole, then by all means that would be appropriate for you. But I think the arm at a right angle recommendation is generally best for poles. I like that this means you bend forward more when going down hill. After a history of slipping going down hill, I finally spent time watching professional hikers go down hill (Himalayan sherpas), and they all bent forward going down, the same way good skiers do. Since discovering that, I consciously bend forward and seldom slip. The 110 cm. poles work perfectly for that and for uphill as well for me. You'll love your Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Not sure this is the right place to post but I have just been practising up and down the road with my new pacer poles! They're wonderful! I did a Nordic walk course this winter, only to keep-fit and it seems to me they work on the same principle. Except the handles are fabulous!
Thanks for the recommendation :)
Very true, I love the comment about being a four legged creature with the poles. Certainly became my best friends (I even named them after some Polish friends!) during my last Camino. Am now in training for my next section and have found it very hard, indeed uncomfortable to walk without them..... Does this mean I will have to rely on poles for walking for ever? Anyone else felt this?

I am 5'7" and my Black Diamond carbon fiber Z poles are 110 cm. My wife is 5'1" and uses 100 cm. poles. 120 cm. seems too long for 5'6". Do you have experience with trekking poles? If you do and like a longer pole, then by all means that would be appropriate for you. But I think the arm at a right angle recommendation is generally best for poles. I like that this means you bend forward more when going down hill. After a history of slipping going down hill, I finally spent time watching professional hikers go down hill (Himalayan sherpas), and they all bent forward going down, the same way good skiers do. Since discovering that, I consciously bend forward and seldom slip. The 110 cm. poles work perfectly for that and for uphill as well for me. You'll love your Camino!

I have not used trekking poles before, hence my ignorance. Since your post I have undertaken a hike in one of our local hills with the poles and do believe that they were a little too long. Could have made them work but that would mean that I was not actually using them as recommended, that is, I was grabbing them too far below the designed hand hold. In the end, I took them back and got 110 cm. Gotta love REI.

I finally spent time watching professional hikers go down hill (Himalayan sherpas), and they all bent forward going down, the same way good skiers do.
I have looked at BD's z-poles, and they appear to be the most compromised design that the company has ever made for trekking use. They are highly optimised for a very niche market - mountaineers and mountain runners. BD has clearly identified that this niche is prepared to compromise on the overall flexibility of the more traditional design to get a light pole that is very compact when collapsed.

The compromises that I see are
  • no or very little adjustment - max of 20 cm of adjustment on those models that do. None on the ones that don't. A good range of adjustment is required on steeper descents in particular to ensure that you can reach further ahead of your feet without leaning too far forward. This provides greater stability during longer steeper descents.
    • Sherpas bend over because they are so heavily loaded that this is the only way they can get their overall centre of gravity over their feet. Skiers do too because they are interested in speed, and want to both decrease their frontal surface area and use their ski poles to give maximum forward propulsion. These should be quite different to the demands of the camino.
    • my experience is that if your pack balance is good, you should not need to lean much, if any, further forward going downhills, even on quite steep slopes. While I don't expect that you would have to extend poles this far on the camino, I have negotiated slopes on St Olavs Way in Norway where I had fully extended the top section from 110 cm to 140 cm. Any fixed length pole is a real compromise in those conditions, and a 20 cm extension still not ideal.
  • the grips and strap appear to be minimalist designs compared to many of the other grips and strap arrangements on other models in the BD range. In my view, the quality of the hand grip is somewhat less important, as one shouldn't be grasping it when using the pole. But this relies on having a decent strap arrangement, and z-poles appear to me to fail in both areas when I have tried them.
  • the use of a non-standard tip arrangement which only has two tips, and you are tied to the BD proprietary replacements. Unlike other carbide tips that have a 12 mm diameter and can accept replacement rubber tips from other makers and use specialised walking and nordic walking tips, it appears that with z-poles, you get only two types, and get and replacement for them from BD.
I suspect that if your most technically challenging walking is going to be the CF, you might accept the compromises, and pay the extra cost.

BTW, if your current poles are not locking properly, cam based locks (eg BD's Flick Lock, Komperdell's Power Lock, etc) have a screw adjustment to tighten the lock when it becomes loose for some reason. If your poles have an internal expanding lock mechanism that you screw tight, you might try cleaning out any dust that has built up in the pole sections. It might be acting as a lubricant and either not locking or letting the sections slide together when under pressure. Follow the makers instructions if you can still find them. If not, use only plain water to rinse out the pole sections and let them air dry.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have looked at BD's z-poles, and they appear to be the most compromised design that the company has ever made for trekking use. They are highly optimised for a very niche market - mountaineers and mountain runners. BD has clearly identified that this niche is prepared to compromise on the overall flexibility of the more traditional design to get a light pole that is very compact when collapsed.

The compromises that I see are
  • no or very little adjustment - max of 20 cm of adjustment on those models that do. None on the ones that don't. A good range of adjustment is required on steeper descents in particular to ensure that you can reach further ahead of your feet without leaning too far forward. This provides greater stability during longer steeper descents.
    • Sherpas bend over because they are so heavily loaded that this is the only way they can get their overall centre of gravity over their feet. Skiers do too because they are interested in speed, and want to both decrease their frontal surface area and use their ski poles to give maximum forward propulsion. These should be quite different to the demands of the camino.
    • my experience is that if your pack balance is good, you should not need to lean much, if any, further forward going downhills, even on quite steep slopes. While I don't expect that you would have to extend poles this far on the camino, I have negotiated slopes on St Olavs Way in Norway where I had fully extended the top section from 110 cm to 140 cm. Any fixed length pole is a real compromise in those conditions, and a 20 cm extension still not ideal.
  • the grips and strap appear to be minimalist designs compared to many of the other grips and strap arrangements on other models in the BD range. In my view, the quality of the hand grip is somewhat less important, as one shouldn't be grasping it when using the pole. But this relies on having a decent strap arrangement, and z-poles appear to me to fail in both areas when I have tried them.
  • the use of a non-standard tip arrangement which only has two tips, and you are tied to the BD proprietary replacements. Unlike other carbide tips that have a 12 mm diameter and can accept replacement rubber tips from other makers and use specialised walking and nordic walking tips, it appears that with z-poles, you get only two types, and get and replacement for them from BD.
I suspect that if your most technically challenging walking is going to be the CF, you might accept the compromises, and pay the extra cost.

BTW, if your current poles are not locking properly, cam based locks (eg BD's Flick Lock, Komperdell's Power Lock, etc) have a screw adjustment to tighten the lock when it becomes loose for some reason. If your poles have an internal expanding lock mechanism that you screw tight, you might try cleaning out any dust that has built up in the pole sections. It might be acting as a lubricant and either not locking or letting the sections slide together when under pressure. Follow the makers instructions if you can still find them. If not, use only plain water to rinse out the pole sections and let them air dry.

This is something I love about this forum -- strong opinions on all sides of equipment issues. I would just repeat that the things you see as disadvantages of Black Diamond Z poles are what I like: light weight, compact size when collapsed, no tightening mechanisms at joints to malfunction, easily changeable tips, lightweight wrist straps. Personally I prefer not to have to disassemble adjustable poles periodically to clean them or to tighten or loosen the internal mechanism so they don't collapse. I have no problems at all going down steep downhills with poles that are not adjustable in length, and I am much less likely to slip going downhill if I bend slightly forward. However, I can certainly see how others might like the features of other trekking poles, and adjustability and price might be bigger pluses for some others than they are for me.

This is something I love about this forum -- strong opinions on all sides of equipment issues. I would just repeat that the things you see as disadvantages of Black Diamond Z poles are what I like: light weight, compact size when collapsed, no tightening mechanisms at joints to malfunction, easily changeable tips, lightweight wrist straps. Personally I prefer not to have to disassemble adjustable poles periodically to clean them or to tighten or loosen the internal mechanism so they don't collapse. I have no problems at all going down steep downhills with poles that are not adjustable in length, and I am much less likely to slip going downhill if I bend slightly forward. However, I can certainly see how others might like the features of other trekking poles, and adjustability and price might be bigger pluses for some others than they are for me.
I can see why those whose only 'big' walking experience will be one of the camino routes might choose z-poles, as well as those in the niche markets where they have clear advantages. That won't stop BD marketing them across as wide a range of uses as possible. I only found one reference to their original design market on their web site. All the rest of the material is promoting across all their target markets. It appears that any discussion of the compromises will be left now to external actors.

While I wouldn't count a sample of one as significant, the first time that I walked with someone using a z-pole, the locking mechanism had stuck, and the pole couldn't be collapsed. This wasn't too much of a problem when one is walking, but she was panicking about how she was going to get them back to the US on an aircraft.

do believe that they were a little too long
Trekking poles in sections are more practical on the Camino. Fixed length poles, which it sounds like you are using, are difficult to transport on planes. Three-sections poles often fit inside your backpack, and are easier to keep in your possession in albergues. Examples:

https://www.leki.com/uk/product-area/trekking/poles/

Going uphill for an extended period of time, shorten the poles about 5cm. Going downhill for an extended period of time, lengthen the poles 5cm (approximately).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Here's the carbon fiber poles we got from Costco for $28.

http://www.cascademountaintech.com/product_p/1010.htm

They are $39.99 direct from the company, but they are the same weight as my $159 black diamond poles, and actually have a nicer strap and clatter less, so I relegated the BD to fishing staffs.

I used them on the Stevenson trail in France and Manaslu circuit in Nepal and they were great. I don't think my aging knees could do some of the steep rocky stuff in Nepal without them.

I much prefer a real strap to a pacer pole type of grip. I hardly touch the grips, particularly reaching forward on steep descents, and a good strap spreads the stress over the entire hand and wrist like a glove. Straps also allow you to take a quick photo or drink without putting down the poles.

If i am only starting my walk from Sarria, would i still need walking poles?
"Need" is a bit too strong for most. They have proven benefits on reducing stress on hips, knees, and ankles. What you do, or don't do, at 30 can come back to you at age 65! After Sarria steep, rock strewn ascents and descents are minimal, so poles are not necessary for footing. I need them for balance and ankle stabilization, but that is not the case for most. If this Camino section will be your one and only venture into long distance walking, you can spare yourself the expense. If you are not a regular user of trekking poles, it might take you the five days to learn to use them.:)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Same with me. The only thing I would have done was order longer metal tips for when I have to walk in deep, heavy mud but yes, pacer poles for me and yes, rubber tips + 2 extra for walking on concrete roads in towns I passed by that have uphill & downhill stretches-otherwise if it's flatland I just hook them up on my backpack.
Did you need an extra "pair" or two extra pairs of rubber tips in total?

When I got my pacer poles in the mail they already have rubber tips attached to the metal tips + a pair of extra rubber tips & a pair to use in the snow. I did not need the extra pair but I'm glad I brought them because I lost 2 rubber tips-must have fallen off my backpack waist pockets.
Buen Camino !!

When I got my pacer poles in the mail they already have rubber tips attached to the metal tips + a pair of extra rubber tips & a pair to use in the snow. I did not need the extra pair but I'm glad I brought them because I lost 2 rubber tips-must have fallen off my backpack waist pockets.
Buen Camino !!
Ok thanks might order another pair just in case

€60,-
I carry extras. The pole tips wear through the rubber after a week or so. They still work well after that, and grip well, but start making the "tap tap tap" that drives some of your fellow pilgrims crazy.

I carry extras. The pole tips wear through the rubber after a week or so. They still work well after that, and grip well, but start making the "tap tap tap" that drives some of your fellow pilgrims crazy.
Good to know thanks

The pole tips wear through the rubber after a week or so.
I get about two caminos out of each pair! Perhaps we have different dragging techniques.:)

And I love the tap, tap, tap... (but almost always use the rubber tips for traction)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
"Need" is a bit too strong for most. They have proven benefits on reducing stress on hips, knees, and ankles. What you do, or don't do, at 30 can come back to you at age 65! After Sarria steep, rock strewn ascents and descents are minimal, so poles are not necessary for footing. I need them for balance and ankle stabilization, but that is not the case for most. If this Camino section will be your one and only venture into long distance walking, you can spare yourself the expense. If you are not a regular user of trekking poles, it might take you the five days to learn to use them.:)
Thanks for the advice. Will probably not get a pair then.

I get about two caminos out of each pair! Perhaps we have different dragging techniques.:)

And I love the tap, tap, tap... (but almost always use the rubber tips for traction)
This year I didn't lose any tips, and a new pair lasted all the way from Neda, near Ferrol through to Santiago and then onto Muxia and Finisterre. A bit under 300km all up. It was my most economical trip for pole tips ever.

I have dropped rubbertips since they disappear whenever there is some mud. When the "tap tap" is too intense you probably don't need the poles anymore, so I put them away. I have used my BD Ultralight poles on several caminoes and I would never go without them. Easy to pack away when you go into a bar or arrive at the albergue too. Even if they are said not to be used on climbing, they have saved me on steep climbs down and over rivers. Adjustable poles, I have tried several, and I never trust them going down a steep hill. I walk with poles all the year on foot or skiing when walking offroad.

€60,-
I have dropped rubbertips since they disappear whenever there is some mud. When the "tap tap" is too intense you probably don't need the poles anymore, so I put them away. I have used my BD Ultralight poles on several caminoes and I would never go without them. Easy to pack away when you go into a bar or arrive at the albergue too. Even if they are said not to be used on climbing, they have saved me on steep climbs down and over rivers. Adjustable poles, I have tried several, and I never trust them going down a steep hill. I walk with poles all the year on foot or skiing when walking offroad.
@ranthr I must admit that I have lost more rubber tips in local mud than I care to think about. I think my most expensive walk for losing pole tips was St Olavs Way, where I lost two in the first two days in a roadside storm drain grating and then between the planks on a foot bridge. I ran out of spares and had to buy replacements in Lillehammer. I was a little more careful after that.

Not sure why you get so much more mileage - maybe walking upright with an Aarn pack? Mine wear out pretty fast.

I like the tap tap tap, too, but I gather from remarks on this forum, that some do not!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I used Black Diamond carbon fibre Z poles. They were fantastic. They fold up rather than retract or telescope. They are very lightweight and comfortable. Be sure to get the right length. Couldn't do without them.
Black Diamond Z-Poles are great until they fail, which happens in several ways. The inner joint tubes debond from the lower section they are glued into, sometimes migrating all the way into the next upper section. They can retrieved and glued back in place, but if you're really unlucky when they are only part way out they pay place too much stress on the lower section and crack it. Another problem is the flexible boots that protect the tensioning cord eventually cut through, and BD says these can't be replaced. If caught in time one can try repairing the cut with superglue or layering a patch of something over it. A new pair probably will bet one through the Camino, but as they get older check every 100 miles or so.

Kris
I bought a pair in SJPP pilgrim shop. Inexpensive pair, but served me well. Mailed them home from SDC via Correos. Took a little over a month to arrive at my home. Box was beat to shit. I had pretty much given up on ever seeing them again. Glad they did arrive. Couldn't have done my camino without them.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.