• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

hiking poles--which kind

Susan B Johnson

PuraVida
Time of past OR future Camino
June (2016)
Last year I walked Camino Inglés and Finsterra with some Leki poles I borrowed. This year I will walk it again and I need to buy new poles. I am considering purchasing anti-shock poles, as I've read it reduces the stress on one's wrists and elbows. I wonder, however, if anti-shock poles are necessary given that most of the Camino Inglés and Finsterra is unpaved.

If anyone could share their experience with anti-shock vs. regular poles, I would be most grateful.

Susan

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I admit that I have never tried the anti-shock poles. I find the squishy noise of the shock absorbers to be too annoying. Besides, when they absorb "shock" they also absorb the forces transferred.

Did you have previously have a problem with stress on your wrists and elbows? If so, are you confident they were the correct length and you were using the straps properly?

I'm sure you'll soon get a detailed analysis and comparison from someone who has used both.

Last year I walked Camino Inglés and Finsterra with some Leki poles I borrowed. This year I will walk it again and I need to buy new poles. I am considering purchasing anti-shock poles, as I've read it reduces the stress on one's wrists and elbows. I wonder, however, if anti-shock poles are necessary given that most of the Camino Inglés and Finsterra is unpaved.

If anyone could share their experience with anti-shock vs. regular poles, I would be most grateful.

Susan

A few years ago, a hiking partner caused me to fall, and one of my poles was badly damaged. He felt so badly, he gifted me a set of fancy anti-shock birthday poles.

Nice, but significantly heavier, and I honestly never felt any appreciable difference with the antishock thing.

In anticipation of my upcoming camino, I went ahead and used an REI member discount on a lightweight, carbon fiber, fliplock, non-antishock pair of REI brand poles. Love them.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I use both. An anti-shock pole largely for urban walking and the straight carbon pole in the bush. I have used both straight and anti-shock poles on the Camino and other pilgrimage walks. Since starting this comparison about eight years ago, I still cannot work out whether one is really better than the other!

What I would observe is that the Black Diamond elastomer collar is a far better anti-shock arrangement than these using a metal spring at the top of the middle pole section.

Straps, on the other hand are critical. Make sure that whatever you choose to buy has a relatively wide strap, preferably lined with a softer material.

Susan
One of a handful of BIG topics of discussion on this forum is walking poles. MANY MANY past threads about this. I suggest that you search and enjoy then perhaps hide for a while in a dark quiet place. I can't stand the noise of shock-absorber poles, they drive me bonkers. Also, sound of hard tips on hard pavement annoys locals. And me. I have large round rubbery knobs on my poles which absorb shocks and grab like two little gorillas (edit: see my post #23 below). I also have wrist straps on my poles which transfer stress to the lower arm and absorb some shock. Some people choose to walk without poles, they should be tolerated and treated with respect at all times.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Check into Pacer Poles, too. I haven't used other kinds, but I love my pacer poles (I ordered them from England to the US)
I bought Pacer Poles after reading about them on the forum, because I needed something idiot proof. :p There was really no learning curve with them.

Why do you think the Camino Ingles is largely unpaved? I'm walking it now and I would say it's a bit more road than path. Without measuring I would say about 60/40.

One important factor for me who insists to carry only handluggage.....it's possible to take the three engineered swizz alu pieces apart and fit them within my rucksack.....or else I may bee forced to check the in/leave them behind when passing absolute first "barrier" of security......bummero_O

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Do your research on-line. There is a lot more to anti-shock or not when making your choice.
What about handle grip, cork, plastic or something else?
Twist lock or flip lock?
Cheap 'n cheerful of wallet busters?
Telescopic of foldable?
Aircraft grade aluminium or carbon fibre?
Black Diamond or Leki? (Other brands are available but they are "also rans" in comparison with these two.
And my favourite....................one pole or two! Don't be an idiot..........it is obviously two!

Remember, it's your camino. Please yourself 'cos you can please everybody.

PS I agree with Mike Trebert about how you should treat people walking without poles. I would also go a little bit further and let them have a go with yours when they are struggling to get up hills unaided..

PPS The answer to your question is: forget about anti-shock. They are a waste of time and money. Google the question, you'll find that serious walkers agree on this.

Last edited:
I used black diamond .... significantly lighter than others were using ... and pull apart to fold into smaller size .... I love them .... also never had to leave them outside when staying at night because they fold up and I just pop into back pack

Ultreia

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If dougfitz hasn't found a difference, there probably isn't one - he is the forum's eye-for-detail-expert!
I do wish he would try pacer poles but as yet have been unable to convince him to give them a go ;-)
Pacer poles are available online only, so difficult to give them a go unless you know someone who owns them. I haven't tried them but they seem very popular. It seems to me just looking at photos of Pacer poles that not as much stress is transferred to lower arm as poles with wrist straps, therefore maybe some effort required at grip and wrist. Wrist straps almost eliminate grip/wrist effort.

If dougfitz hasn't found a difference, there probably isn't one - he is the forum's eye-for-detail-expert!
I do wish he would try pacer poles but as yet have been unable to convince him to give them a go ;-)
I tried a pair last year at San Anton. I remain unconvinced that they offer any significant advantages to an experienced pole user. I can see that they might be easier for a novice to learn to use.

Do your research on-line. There is a lot more to anti-shock or not when making your choice.
What about handle grip, cork, plastic or something else?
Twist lock or flip lock?
Cheap 'n cheerful of wallet busters?
Telescopic of foldable?
Aircraft grade aluminium or carbon fibre?
Black Diamond or Leki? (Other brands are available but they are "also rans" in comparison with these two.
And my favourite....................one pole or two! Don't be an idiot..........it is obviously two!
My take on each of these is relatively simple:
  1. Hand grips - I have used cork, foam and hard plastic. Avoid the latter. The foam eventually loses its nice finish and becomes smooth, and cork is best, but not worth paying too much extra for over foam.
  2. Internal (twist) or external (flick) locks - current both my active poles have external flick locks. They need regular adjustment, but that can be done with a small coin. I have used poles with internal twist locks in the past. I found them easier to use, but this aspect of pole design is not the real product discriminator some makers would like to make it out to be. If you suffer from arthritis - avoid twist locks.
  3. Cheap or otherwise - you pay for quality and good pole life. If you don't pay, don't expect too much. The spring mechanism in sprung poles will eventually collapse if you are a heavy pole user. The difference is that it takes longer with a higher quality pole. Un-sprung poles that have no moving parts in regular motion might last forever. Certainly the current Komperdel unsprung carbon fibre poles that I am using aren't showing any signs of trouble after about four years of regular use. If you are not working your poles that hard, you may never collapse the spring.
  4. Shaft material - I have aluminium shaft BD Z-poles that are lighter than my Komperdel carbon fibre poles, and other poles that are heavier. If you are going to carry them and not use them, get as light a pole as possible, but otherwise I don't think the small differences will be all that obvious in normal use. Some manufacturers claim carbon fibre has better shock absorbing properties in an un-sprung pole than their metal counterparts. I cannot detect the difference.
  5. Are other brands 'also rans' to Leki and Black Diamond. This is not my experience. They make good poles, but they are not the only high quality manufacturers. I have used Komperdel, Quecha, Fizan and a variety of re-badged poles from different outdoor retailers. I would only observe that the top end of the market deserve their place there, but if you are not going to be a heavy pole user, there is no particular need to be doing your pole shopping there either.
  6. One pole or two - @Gareth Griffith has this right, but respect that others might choose one or none, and that's okay too.

Nice comparison and information there Doug - hands on experience too (sorry for pun).

I don't know much about poles at all though I do have one Quechua 500 Light that I have had for years and that seems pretty good - though I often use one of my homemade long wooden staffs, not because it is 'better' but it is more romantic to me (I only use one, to make me a tripod and therefore more stable on up and downhills).
However, I did notice some years ago in a shop that if you extend a cheap sprung pole it rattles when it hits the ground, which I assume would be seriously annoying after a while.

Would definitely be worth buying spare rubber tips as they wear through extremely quickly - and that clicking sound!!

Oh - make sure you buy them long enough to reach the ground ;)

There are different quality tips. I have used the rubber tips, that came with my Pacer Poles for many hundreds of kilometers (3000 or more) without wearing through the tips. I know I am on my second set but that is due to losing one in Pamplona in a sewer grate (pole went through the grate but the tip did not come back out) and another was pulled off on a steep downhill when it lodged between two stones. I purchased some cheap replacements along the camino and I think they lasted about an hour before they wore through. I would guess that most/all name brand poles would have high quality rubber tips available.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Susan

We bought adjustable length titanium poles from Walmart (yuck) for $2o/pair. They were fantastic as it allows for people of varying heights to use. We had zero issues with them (Camino Frances 2016) and will be using them again this fall on the Camino del Norte' You can buy extra tips on Amazon.

Buen Camino

However, I did notice some years ago in a shop that if you extend a cheap sprung pole it rattles when it hits the ground, which I assume would be seriously annoying after a while.
I did much the same in 2010 when the spring on a re-branded pole collapsed, with a similar effect. The poles were cheap, not very well made and rattled. It was annoying, but also almost the worst buy I have ever made - they lasted less than a fortnight, and I was fortunate enough to be able to replace them with a set of Quecha poles in Melide. Much better made, and no obnoxious rattle.

I would guess that most/all name brand poles would have high quality rubber tips available.
My experience is that it varies. My personal favourite straight rubber tip right now is from Black Diamond. My favourite walking foot is by Swix. Leki and Komperdel also make good tips, but are beaten on price. I have tried a knobbly bell foot without success, but I think @Mike Trebert has had better results with these. I haven't tried other brands recently.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Over four years on the forum I too, have learned that if Dougfitz offers an opinion, advice or a recommendation, you can "take it to the bank." We do not always agree, but he is more correct, more often than I am.

I hope this helps.

I've recommended these before in another thread but they don't seem to fit tightly on many poles. I guess I was lucky - they just jammed on and stayed there for a full CF, weren't even fully worn down. Love them, they work perfectly for me - big enough to not get jammed into paving gaps or cracks between boards. Pacemaker Stix Extended Life Rubber Feet.
122_5413b959-6d6d-4755-99b6-674f1576a631_large.jpg

Sore knee persuaded me to acquire a pair of trekking poles in Puente la Reina. They were 24 euros for the pair. They worked great and got me to Santiago. Left them there as donativo. Well worth the 24 euros.
Could have definitely used a couple of sets of extra rubber tips, though.

I bought Leki Carbon XL (delivered with photoadapter), they are lite and i love them but as mentioned before you need to buy the extra tips.
The sound of the carbide tip on the road becomes annoying ;)
You can always find better prices on the online shops :)

I am a Pacer Pole fan, without any frame of reference except what some said on this forum and the limited training experience I have with them.

Although they are online only purchase, they are postage free most places in the world and come with amazingly detailed instructions and help and they got to me in double quick time from Windermere in UK to Sydney Australia...be careful though, as they are so simple to use that they walk by themselves!!!

Sore knee persuaded me to acquire a pair of trekking poles in Puente la Reina. They were 24 euros for the pair. They worked great and got me to Santiago. Left them there as donativo. Well worth the 24 euros.
Could have definitely used a couple of sets of extra rubber tips, though.

This is one of those things I'm buying when I get there. I am not checking my pack and it just seems wise to pick up a a pocket knife and pole the evening before I walk, rather than bother with TSA. I'll get whatever they have and I'm sure it'll be fine. That said I love the look of pace poles and if I didn't have flight concerns, I would totally order some. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This is one of those things I'm buying when I get there. I am not checking my pack and it just seems wise to pick up a a pocket knife and pole the evening before I walk, rather than bother with TSA. I'll get whatever they have and I'm sure it'll be fine. That said I love the look of pace poles and if I didn't have flight concerns, I would totally order some. :)
I managed to walk from SJPDP to Finisterre with nail clippers as my only cutting tool. :)

Sigh... I am not planning on taking nail cutters. I'll buy some if I need them. I'm not sure I need a knife either but some ppl seem to think it's an essential.

I know I need poles. They made a huge difference to how my knees felt when I started walking with them.

Sigh... I am not planning on taking nail cutters. I'll buy some if I need them. I'm not sure I need a knife either but some ppl seem to think it's an essential.

I know I need poles. They made a huge difference to how my knees felt when I started walking with them.
You really don't need much at all to walk the CF. Knife? Essential? No. I just liked to have a cutting utensil so I could cut slices of chorizo and to cut fruit. The serrated edge of the plastic spork worked just fine. You could probably just carry the plastic set you get on the plane with your meal.
The poles do help and the inexpensive ones available all along the CF will work fine.
Just carry the nail cutters. TSA never confiscated them from me when I had them in carry-on's.
Don't sweat nothing. It's all good.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Since you are only walking for a couple of weeks I doubt that your toenails will grow enough that they need to be cut. :)

Regarding no nail cutters: easy, weightless, TSA compliant, more-than-adequate solution for a 2 week Camino..... take a small Emory board for touch-ups.

A knife is not essential. You will not be cold, wet, naked, barefoot, or hungry without a knife.

Seriously, I carry my Opinel #10 mostly because it makes me look cool and hardcore. :cool:

IMG_9114.JPG Wellpleased with extended rubber grip on steep uphill..swizz made...TSL outdoor

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Since you are only walking for a couple of weeks I doubt that your toenails will grow enough that they need to be cut. :)
ONE thing I have learnt in my 'training' is that nail cutters are essential.

BEFORE living at the beach, barefoot...thongs, painted nails...gorgeous

AFTER... cut them before they cause problems and then trim them again as they grow. PRONTO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do you think the Camino Ingles is largely unpaved? I'm walking it now and I would say it's a bit more road than path. Without measuring I would say about 60/40.
I say it's mostly unpaved, because that's what I remember. Or perhaps that's what I remember so well, because it was so beautiful.

I use both. An anti-shock pole largely for urban walking and the straight carbon pole in the bush. I have used both straight and anti-shock poles on the Camino and other pilgrimage walks. Since starting this comparison about eight years ago, I still cannot work out whether one is really better than the other!

What I would observe is that the Black Diamond elastomer collar is a far better anti-shock arrangement than these using a metal spring at the top of the middle pole section.

Straps, on the other hand are critical. Make sure that whatever you choose to buy has a relatively wide strap, preferably lined with a softer material.
I vote Black Diamond too. The little bit of spring was welcome. They also hold their length with out telescoping on me like Costco did.

Susan
Have walked three caminos with poles from a discount chain Lidl. Left them behind on last camino so have just replaced them. They are anti shock but it can be turned off. They also have cork handles which I find more comfortable and less sweaty than foam or rubber ones. They cost £11 for a pair compared to the huge prices for branded poles

Susan

My wife and I bought a pair of Leki carbon poles - they did not have shock absorbers in them but we found that being made of carbon they did not seem to vibrate like the aluminium ones. We used the rubber feet in the end of the poles rather than the metal spikes which helped in that regard too.

The Leki poles were very good, strong, amazingly light and broke down to around 30cn long. However they are not cheap compared to other poles

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.