• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking poles

Travelite

Time of past OR future Camino
First camino beginning September 2018
What is the cost of a hiking pole? And where do I buy them? Does one really need these sticks. I start my camino in SJP on the 19th September.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hiking poles are a personal thing, Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d have managed the full CF without poles. Mind you Iā€™m not young and I find poles give me stability especially on ascents and resents
You can buy poles in SJPP in the shop just down from the pilgrim office and they are not expensive.

Hi, Travelite...
Wow, time is getting close for departure and I bet you are getting excited :)

1. Trekking poles start at around 20.00 Euro for a basic, heavier model, up to 250 Euro for high tech, whisper light models. Even a basic model will do the job for you. The adjustments take a bit more fiddling, but that's not a huge issue.

2. In SJPdP there are a few outdoor shops where they can be purchased. This is one of them.

3. Trekking poles are useful and do provide good assistance in a variety of ways. However, they will be more of a hindrance than help if one is unpracticed in their use. it takes a bit of time to become 'used' to operating them and coordinating them with your walking style and pace. I recommend that, rather than wait til you get to SJPdP, you buy a cheap pair now, practice with them, then decide whether to use them on Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
Think I've already asked this question, has any Pilgrim ever done the camino/ part of, barefoot?. I like like to walk barefoot when there is rain pouring down.

I regarded poles as a huge waste of time up to about the age of 40. There was a longish period then when they were useful but it wouldnā€™t matter if I left them at home. Now, at 57, they are required usage for uphill and absolutely essential for descent. And my knees arenā€™t actually problem knees. On the level, I put them away. Perhaps that too will change.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Think I've already asked this question, has any Pilgrim ever done the camino/ part of, barefoot?. I like like to walk barefoot when there is rain pouring down.

I walked barefoot and in habiana flip flops for a huge amount of my Caminos last year after getting hectic tendonitis in my left heel. I'm used to walking around barefoot at home so it was not a problem.

For the peace of everybody's soul on the camino - in case you decide for hiking poles, please use them with rubber stoppers only and carry a spare part with you... Thank you!!!!!

This is my previous response to this question.
I never used hiking poles before my trek on the Camino de Santiago. In preparation, I spent much time on the internet gleaning information and I saw many pictures and videos of pilgrims, both young and old, walking with poles. I decided to use them. If I didn't like them, I could just leave them at an Albergue. I am glad I did! I brought my collapsible, adjustable poles from home. Carbon fiber and easy to pack. Can't imagine trekking the Way from SJPP to SdC without them. Very helpful for balance and takes pleasure off the knees. They are needed for both up mountain and down wet slippery slopes and I really enjoyed my sticks on the flats too. They helped with my rhythm and stamina. I saw plenty of trekking poles left behind at the Pilgrim's office in Santiago, but I could not part with my old friends. We have many more adventures ahead.Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I regarded poles as a huge waste of time up to about the age of 40. There was a longish period then when they were useful but it wouldnā€™t matter if I left them at home. Now, at 57, they are required usage for uphill and absolutely essential for descent. And my knees arenā€™t actually problem knees. On the level, I put them away. Perhaps that too will change.
Lovely. I use mine all the time. Much to the amusement of my younger brother. But then he's the one with the seriously bad knees getting shots and all kinds of issues!! Laugh away my dear baby bro, I'm not the one with the ortho on speed dial!

What is the cost of a hiking pole?
Cost: As davebug says, from about ā‚¬20 up.

And where do I buy them?
Poles can be bought in most camping/hiking/outdoor shops or, of course, online.

Does one really need these sticks.
Poles are not required but they can be a useful aid. I have outlined my experience below.

Last year was the first time I used walking poles in earnest and I found them to be a fantastic aid. For me, they spread the load, spread the energy, aided balance and also served to keep my hands up and moving so they didnā€™t swell as they sometimes can if hanging by ones side for extended periods. I was impressed enough with them that when a friend came to join me for a week, I pressed her to buy a set. She was pretty sceptical, as she was only walking for a short time, but did buy a set. For the first couple of hours she found them a little strange to walk with but by the end of day one was really pleased and by the end of the week felt them to be invaluable and that she would have struggled without them.

There is a huge variety of poles available and it was after a fair bit of research that I settled on a set often recommended on this forum, the poles I went with were ā€œPacerpoleā€ (https://www.pacerpole.com/). They have a handle design that is quite different to the norm and one that we found supremely comfortable to use as you donā€™t really have to grip them. There is a lot of information on their website about the design and use of their poles. They were also a delightful company to deal with and I can heartily recommend their poles.

With regard to barefoot walking, My feet are not tough enough to go barefoot but I wear barefoot shoes and love them. I find them so much more comfortable than regular shoes, itā€™s nice to feel the ground as one walks which enhances my experience walking.

With or without poles, barefoot or not, I hope you enjoy your Camino experience!

Last edited:
Last week, I was at Saint Jean Pied de Port as a tourist with my wife. I walked from there twice as a pilgrim so I am familiar with the wonderful town. I wanted my wife to see it too.

Anyway, we were in the outfitting shop on Rue de Cittadell, across the street from the Pilgrim Office. I think it is called 'Direction Compostelle,' or something similar.

I made a point to look through their collection of hiking poles, as I frequently see the end result at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago. I volunteer there for a month each summer. What I was looking for was the particular brands that end up discarded at the Pilgrim Office after one use. Based on this experience, here is my recommendation.

If you are intent on buying poles at SJPdP, buy the Elementerre brand of NON-Shock absorption hiking poles. The brand is from a quality French outdoor supplier. The poles are well made and will last. They are also made of aluminium alloy, not steel, and are lighter. Lighter is better.

Finally, spend the couple of Euros extra and buy a pair of rubber tips to cover the steel studs on the business end of the poles. Put them on when walking on paved surfaces and remove them (stuff them in a pocket) when on natural surfaces.

These rubber tips provide enhanced traction on paved surfaces, including stairs. They also reduce the heinous 'click-clack' sound the steel tips make. The residents along the way who sleep in early in the morning will appreciate this gesture. Should you lose a tip along the way, you can obtain inexpensive replacements all along the way.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
One more thing about the poles...
If you decided you need a pair, and need to fly to and from Camino, and you need to fly discount airlines any segment, consider buying one when you get there and discard after using them. You cannot bring them into the cabin, and sometimes checking a backpack in because of the poles costs more than the cost of the poles.

When I was young I hiked without poles. But throughout the last few years I used poles all of the time. Just to help with my balance. I love the outdoors, walking, mountain hiking and walking the Camino. I plan on my next Camino next spring. I always use poles as necessary. My next hike is the Wonderland Trail in a couple of weeks hiking around Mt. Tahoma ( Mt Rainier for the British).

I walked barefoot and in habiana flip flops for a huge amount of my Caminos last year after getting hectic tendonitis in my left heel. I'm used to walking around barefoot at home so it was not a problem.
Thanks Graham. Now I don't feel quite as eccentric as my kids say I am! I would like to try the barefoot option if the terrain allows for it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Re: Poles. I didn't think I'd need them and started without them. I really resisted buying them. I'd travelled all around Europe with a much heaver backpack when I was much younger and never had a rpoblem, even when I was walking with it for long stretches, But by the time I reached Puenta la Reina, my knees were seriously suffering and even knee braces were not enough. I bought poles in Viana and am convinced they saved my Camino. Many people do the Camino without them, but better to start with them than to find out you need them part way through with shot knees that will necessitate ibuprofen for the rest of your Camino.

Re: barefooting. Sue Kenney (http://suekenney.ca/), a Canadian pilgrim, has really taken up barefooting and barefoot caminos. She developed special shoes with tops but no soles so she can walk barefoot but still go into places that want you to wear shoes.

For the peace of everybody's soul on the camino - in case you decide for hiking poles, please use them with rubber stoppers only and carry a spare part with you... Thank you!!!!!
I assumed they come with rubber stoppers?

Re: Poles. I didn't think I'd need them and started without them. I really resisted buying them. I'd travelled all around Europe with a much heaver backpack when I was much younger and never had a rpoblem, even when I was walking with it for long stretches, But by the time I reached Puenta la Reina, my knees were seriously suffering and even knee braces were not enough. I bought poles in Viana and am convinced they saved my Camino. Many people do the Camino without them, but better to start with them than to find out you need them part way through with shot knees that will necessitate ibuprofen for the rest of your Camino.

Re: barefooting. Sue Kenney (http://suekenney.ca/), a Canadian pilgrim, has really taken up barefooting and barefoot caminos. She developed special shoes with tops but no soles so she can walk barefoot but still go into places that want you to wear shoes.
Wow. Now that's one lady after my own heart.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A very few hiking poles will come with the add-on rubber tips. However, all hiking poles come standard with tungsten steel pointy tips at the business end of each pole / stick.

It is this feature that has the airline security officials branding hiking sticks as stabbing weapons. With the steel tip in place they could be used this way. However, with the steel tip removed, the poles / sticks are 'walking aids.' You can reinsert the tips later... This is one good feature of some higher-end poles, like Black Diamond. Their tips are both easily removable and replaceable.

Buying the accessory rubber tips or 'tipos gomas' in Spanish will quiet the click-clack to silence as you walk on paved surfaces. Your nearby fellow pilgrims and any residence, whose village you are walking through early each morning will appreciate the gesture.

Hope this helps.

:) I understand the sentiment as the clickity-clakcity noise on hard surfaces is like nails on a chalkboard. If what you mean is that they should always and only be used with rubber tip covers, I must gently disagree. It is sufficient to keep the covers in a pocket on the hipbelt, shirt, or pants and then, when reaching a hard surface, grab them and place them over the tips.

On hard surfaces, the rubber covers will enhance grip as well as silence the 'clack'. However, the bare tips are far better equipped to grip and grab non-pave surfaces and softer surfaces.

If you're going to use poles, and I swear by them, please watch some YouTube videos on how to use them efficiently before you get them. It REALLY does make a difference and I see SO many people not getting the best from theirs.
UltreĆÆa

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
Am I the only person who uses poles only for the purpose of preventing my hands/arms from swelling?

What is the cost of a hiking pole? And where do I buy them? Does one really need these sticks. I start my camino in SJP on the 19th September.
As cheap as ā‚¬4.99 each in Decathlon. If you luck out in SJPP there's a nice little shop near the cathedral in Pamplona called Caminoteca.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-
Last week, I was at Saint Jean Pied de Port as a tourist with my wife. I walked from there twice as a pilgrim so I am familiar with the wonderful town. I wanted my wife to see it too.

Anyway, we were in the outfitting shop on Rue de Cittadell, across the street from the Pilgrim Office. I think it is called 'Direction Compostelle,' or something similar.

I made a point to look through their collection of hiking poles, as I frequently see the end result at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago. I volunteer there for a month each summer. What I was looking for was the particular brands that end up discarded at the Pilgrim Office after one use. Based on this experience, here is my recommendation.

If you are intent on buying poles at SJPdP, buy the Elementerre brand of NON-Shock absorption hiking poles. The brand is from a quality French outdoor supplier. The poles are well made and will last. They are also made of aluminium alloy, not steel, and are lighter. Lighter is better.

Finally, spend the couple of Euros extra and buy a pair of rubber tips to cover the steel studs on the business end of the poles. Put them on when walking on paved surfaces and remove them (stuff them in a pocket) when on natural surfaces.

These rubber tips provide enhanced traction on paved surfaces, including stairs. They also reduce the heinous 'click-clack' sound the steel tips make. The residents along the way who sleep in early in the morning will appreciate this gesture. Should you lose a tip along the way, you can obtain inexpensive replacements all along the way.

Hope this helps.
While queuing up for my compostela in June I noticed a young Japanese pilgrim deposit his poles on the stack in the corner of the courtyard, bow reverently and walk away . . . but he did look back :)

I was wondering if anyone knew where to find high quality poles in Madrid? I bought some poles last yr but they ended up breaking half way through my Camino.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I was wondering if anyone knew where to find high quality poles in Madrid? I bought some poles last yr but they ended up breaking half way through my Camino.

There is a shop called Barrabes which has a couple of locations in Madrid. In the store I wandered through, I saw that they carried a number of models of Leki and Black Diamond trekking poles. I think it was south of Plaza Mayor.

There is a shop called Barrabes which has a couple of locations in Madrid. In the store I wandered through, I saw that they carried a number of models of Leki and Black Diamond trekking poles. I think it was south of Plaza Mayor.
That's great! I've checked their website and they have quite a few styles that I might like.

20190107_104530.jpgI suggest you look into Nordic Walking as preparation for walking the Camino, and for training in correct use of walking poles. My physio is a qualified instructor and runs a Nordic Walking group, so I was well-practised by the time I started out from St Jean PP last year. I saw many people who were unsure about the technique and even some spectacular trips and accidents by folks who had just picked up the poles without learning how to use them. For me, my poles were invaluable and helped me make it safely to Santiago de Compostela. And, I continue to use them on regular walks now I'm back home!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.