• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking poles

Morning Waters

Celtic Lass
Time of past OR future Camino
Can anyone suggest where to buy hiking poles in Porto, Portugal ? I am wanting to do carry on for my pack and debating checking my poles (I have become a bit attached to my Pacer poles) vs. buying hiking poles when I reach Porto. My flight has two transfers, first in Chicago and then in Madrid. I have 2-3 hrs of layover times so I am not worried about the checked poles not making the transfer (optimist that I am).
Thanks

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am a Pacer Pole addict too :), but if you decide to leave the gems at home there is a Decathlon store which you can walk too if you are staying anywhere in the old town, Rivera, tourist areas.... Its close to busy shopping area on Rua de Fernandes Tomas.

Can anyone suggest where to buy hiking poles in Porto, Portugal ? I am wanting to do carry on for my pack and debating checking my poles (I have become a bit attached to my Pacer poles) vs. buying hiking poles when I reach Porto. My flight has two transfers, first in Chicago and then in Madrid. I have 2-3 hrs of layover times so I am not worried about the checked poles not making the transfer (optimist that I am).
Thanks
I also use Pacer Poles. I would check them rather than buying substandard poles. 😄

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I always take or send my Pacer poles. They are perfect for the camino - rocket boosters up hill and hand brakes down hill - and I wouldn't dream of going without them! If I couldn't take them with me I think I would rather go without poles as the 'normal' ones don't work in the same way (for me) and would only annoy me I think.

Thanks
There's a Decathlon you can stop at on the way from the airport to the city.
They stock a pole called FORCLAZ which has a canted over handle slightly mimicking the PacerPole.
I have reservations though - people talk about them being too short (1100mm) and the item description says "push pin" adjustment.
A friend who is doing the Sarria - SdC section is going to take a look at them before committing to Pacers otherwise she'll buy PPs and check them in the hold.

There's a Decathlon you can stop at on the way from the airport to the city.
They stock a pole called FORCLAZ which has a canted over handle slightly mimicking the PacerPole.
I have reservations though - people talk about them being too short (1100mm) and the item description says "push pin" adjustment.
A friend who is doing the Sarria - SdC section is going to take a look at them before committing to Pacers otherwise she'll buy PPs and check them in the hold.
Except, of course, you'll want the Portuguese Decathlon 🇵🇹 site, not the Spanish one!

The Spanish site does, however, show an extra photo of the pole
which might explain why it's a bit shorter than most.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I first read about Pacer poles on this blog site. I immediately ordered them, and my Camino Mate did as well. I wouldn't think of walking with any other poles!

Attachments

• 20190406_122938.jpg
    20190406_122938.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 34
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks
I always place mine in my backpack then have the pack placed in the cargo area.

I have been training with my pacer poles and just love them. When I have tried to use my husbands regular walking poles it just isn't the same. I have read all the posts about checking poles vs trying to bring them on the plane and all the "rules" involved. I have thought to just try to take the upper portion of the pole (with the hand grip) and put that in my pack and if that "flys" then get regular poles in Porto and swap out the bottoms to put on my upper Pacers. I have tried it with my husband's here at home and it has worked well. What is a good way to pack them to check them in luggage? I will be staying at Rua do Ooutor Sousa Viterbo, close to the cathedral so a trip to Decathalon should not be a problem as I am giving myself an extra day in Porto before starting out. Any opinions about ordering a set of pacer poles to be delivered to the address I am staying in Porto. I know they ship from England and I have found the company to be exceedingly helpful and friendly and full of information about their poles.

I have been training with my pacer poles and just love them. When I have tried to use my husbands regular walking poles it just isn't the same. I have read all the posts about checking poles vs trying to bring them on the plane and all the "rules" involved. I have thought to just try to take the upper portion of the pole (with the hand grip) and put that in my pack and if that "flys" then get regular poles in Porto and swap out the bottoms to put on my upper Pacers. I have tried it with my husband's here at home and it has worked well. What is a good way to pack them to check them in luggage? I will be staying at Rua do Ooutor Sousa Viterbo, close to the cathedral so a trip to Decathalon should not be a problem as I am giving myself an extra day in Porto before starting out. Any opinions about ordering a set of pacer poles to be delivered to the address I am staying in Porto. I know they ship from England and I have found the company to be exceedingly helpful and friendly and full of information about their poles.
I like your thinking but what happens if the hand grips get confiscated and binned on departure? You end up stuck with two sets of bottoms and no grips unless Heather at PP is willing to sell you new ones; as you say they are helpful!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I like your thinking but what happens if the hand grips get confiscated and binned on departure? You end up stuck with two sets of bottoms and no grips unless Heather at PP is willing to sell you new ones; as you say they are helpful!
I can't see why the handles, which have no sharp points would be confiscated.

If the poles themselves are not allowed on board because they can conceivably be used as offensive weapons, then that also goes for the handles, I imagine. Bubble wrap them and put them in the hold.

If the poles themselves are not allowed on board because they can conceivably be used as offensive weapons, then that also goes for the handles, I imagine. Bubble wrap them and put them in the hold.
It's my understanding that it's the sharp tips, and possibly the length of the poles that's the issue.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'd double check the airline's hand luggage policy before I tried to take the poles or any part of them on the plane. My Pacers are one of the most expensive part of my kit, as well as one of the most indispensable and also hardest to replace, so I will not take any chances. If all else fails I am sure I could buy a new pair online and have Heather ship them to an address up ahead but hopefully I won't need to.

It's my understanding that it's the sharp tips, and possibly the length of the poles that's the issue.
Most of the airlines I've traveled with do specify a sharp implement and, indeed, a doctor friend of mine pulled the tungsten tips from her poles and then challenged the security guard to show her what part of the pole was sharp (mind you we're talking about an Irishwoman who has faced down the Congolese Army armed with nothing but an icy stare).
She got away with it - I doubt I would!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I first read about Pacer poles on this blog site. I immediately ordered them, and my Camino Mate did as well. I wouldn't think of walking with any other poles!
Same here Doreen. Been trying them out in preparation. We leave in just over 2 weeks.

Sort of off topic, but in Canada we can take ice skates for playing hockey (with sharp blades) on board airplanes in our carry on bag, but no hiking poles, nail clippers, tiny scissors or other dangerous goods. Must be a cultural thing!

I have always used walking stick or pole , however if these high priced walking poles would stop me from getting blisters I would probably purchase them

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks
For my Pacer Poles (the Best poles!) I bought a camera tripod case on Amazon (measure the poles and get one that just covers them) —I can look mine up if needed) it is black and padded w a handle. I put them in head to toe and because the bag is not rigid, they fit. I strapped that bag onto the side of my backpack so it would count as 1 piece of carry-on luggage. I bought the case so if the poles ever got stopped at the airport—-I have read such stories here on the forum, then I could check as luggage if they were in a bag. I have travelled from the US 5 round trips this way and 6 or so flights within Europe and never has a problem carrying them on. I have the rubber tips on them in the bag, btw.

Sort of off topic, but in Canada we can take ice skates for playing hockey (with sharp blades) on board airplanes in our carry on bag, but no hiking poles, nail clippers, tiny scissors or other dangerous goods. Must be a cultural thing!
You are SO lucky. Here in Europe they won't let us play any sports on airplanes - imagine how much fun curling down the aisle would be . . . 🥌

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Okay.... Final answer. Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I am planning on using Mobilemejen's suggestion of using a camera tripod case and try to take my pacer poles through security. If the poles are not allowed then I will check them and pray to the travel Gods, Goddess', and Saints that they arrive with me.

For Klogwog- I know one can purchase walking poles at a much lower price. But you can see how much people who have Pacer Poles love them. The company is great, they stand behind their product. They will send you tons of information about their poles and how to best use them. They have several YouTube videos about the poles. I have used both kinds of walking poles and think the Pacer Poles excel at preventing injuries, especially to the hands (blisters, numbness, prevention or aggravation of carpel tunnel) as well as helping me strengthen my upper body due to their grip configuration. For me they have been well worth the money.

Thanks
Off subject, but when are you leaving Chicago? I’m flying out of there, as well. But, on from London to Lisbon.

Okay.... Final answer. Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I am planning on using Mobilemejen's suggestion of using a camera tripod case and try to take my pacer poles through security. If the poles are not allowed then I will check them and pray to the travel Gods, Goddess', and Saints that they arrive with me.

For Klogwog- I know one can purchase walking poles at a much lower price. But you can see how much people who have Pacer Poles love them. The company is great, they stand behind their product. They will send you tons of information about their poles and how to best use them. They have several YouTube videos about the poles. I have used both kinds of walking poles and think the Pacer Poles excel at preventing injuries, especially to the hands (blisters, numbness, prevention or aggravation of carpel tunnel) as well as helping me strengthen my upper body due to their grip configuration. For me they have been well worth the money.
You may be able to take them on in the US as this seems to be inconsistent. However, you will not be able to take them on in Madrid from my experience.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm for checking - at least checking poles. I found some long cardboard boxes to use for poles (and other small "sharps" that can't go carry-on). If I was going to check the sharps I figured I may as well check the poles! I carried one box - flattened - in my pack for the return trip on the assumption (correct!!) that the Camino-bound box would suffer from the experience in the cargo hold. The boxes are very light and are better than tubes because they can be flattened and folded in half to fit in the pack. I suspect that the box might be better able to accommodate the grips of the Pacerpole. Based on this thread I may have to get some Pacerpoles to give them a try!

I leave 13 May 2019 from Sacramento, arrive Chigago 13:38, leave for Madrid at 16:40. When I arrive in Madrid I will have at least 3 hrs before my flight to Porto, so I can probably get them checked easily and feel confident they will arrive with me in Porto...

Here is the rest of the story. I ordered the carbon fiber 3 piece Pacer Poles as my 2 piece ones didn’t fit into my pack. My pack is a Gregory Jade 53. I took it as carry on luggage and had NO problems getting through security in Sacramento or Madrid. In Madrid I had to go through security twice as I got lost trying to find my gate to fly to Porto. At all security checks my pack got X-rayed and was never opened up for a secondary check. Enjoying Porto today and start walking tomorrow. Bom Dia!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.