A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Hiking poles

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguesa (2019)
For those of us who are flying without checked baggage, it appears to be impossible to bring poles in our carry-ons. One might therefore think that there must be a lot of poles that get left behind in Europe. Is this the case and is there a stash anywhere? Are they all in SdC?

Camino(s) past & future
Camino France, Camino del Norte
For those of us who are flying without checked baggage, it appears to be impossible to bring poles in our carry-ons. One might therefore think that there must be a lot of poles that get left behind in Europe. Is this the case and is there a stash anywhere? Are they all in SdC?
I put them in a plastic bag, taped them up and shipped them as my checked luggage.

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Contemplating yet another "final" Camino
but 2019?
@t2andreo is building a huge throne out of them behind the Pilgrim Office:

every year he adds a few more . . .

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Inglés 2009+2017, Francés 2012+2018, Astorga-Santiago repeatedly
I've just posted my Pacerpoles from the UK to my first night's accommodation in Spain at the cost of £12 (keep in mind Pacerpoles are bulkier and heavier than some poles, so it could be less). If I were to check them in for the flights to and from Dublin, and to and from Dublin to Santiago - I would not assume I get it for free, but would pay to check them in before I went - it would cost me a minimum of £20 pr leg, that's £80 or up to £100, which incidentally is the price of the poles. Returning them in the post to myself will cost about the same as here, £12. That's at least £56 saved, approximately €65, which will give me a good couple of days on the Camino. I will also enjoy a stress free travel day as I can take my camino pack into the cabin and keep it with me at all times. My poles are tracked so I will know when they have arrived, which should be in 3-5 days.

GailGwyn

Camino(s) past & future
part Camino Frances (2013). Part Camino Norte (2016} Camino Frances (2019) from SJPP
I've just posted my Pacerpoles from the UK to my first night's accommodation in Spain at the cost of £12 (keep in mind Pacerpoles are bulkier and heavier than some poles, so it could be less). If I were to check them in for the flights to and from Dublin, and to and from Dublin to Santiago - I would not assume I get it for free, but would pay to check them in before I went - it would cost me a minimum of £20 pr leg, that's £80 or up to £100, which incidentally is the price of the poles. Returning them in the post to myself will cost about the same as here, £12. That's at least £56 saved, approximately €65, which will give me a good couple of days on the Camino. I will also enjoy a stress free travel day as I can take my camino pack into the cabin and keep it with me at all times. My poles are tracked so I will know when they have arrived, which should be in 3-5 days.
Great idea. Wish I had thought of doing that. Have paid to check our luggage purely because I wanted to bring my Pacer Poles. Ah well, good advice for anyone who has yet to book their flights.

davebugg

"When I Have Your Wounded" - Dustoff Motto
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances...
Sept. 2017: SJPdP to Burgos
Sept./Oct. 2018: SJPdP to Santiago de Compostela
Going from the US to Europe, I have never run into a problem including my trekking poles with my backpack as a carry-on; or for domestic flights within the US for that matter. However, I mail my poles back to my home when I fly out of Spain.

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 142 14.9%
  • May

Votes: 236 24.8%