• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking Quotes - just for fun.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I’m so enjoying this thread!

I felt it was for this I had come: to wake at dawn on a hillside and look out on a world for which I had no words, to start at the beginning, speechless and without plan, in a place that still had no memories for me.

— Laurie Lee

Above all, do not lose your desire to walk. Everyday, I walk myself into a state of well-being & walk away from every illness. I have walked myself into my best thoughts, and I know of no thought so burdensome that one cannot walk away from it.

— Sören Kierkegaard

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Your Scottish grannie must have lived very near my Scottish grannie! indeed, a lesson for life. You have to be there for the mud to stick. Now where do you think that came out of?

I only had Scottish grannies...
She lived in a wee,coal mining village,up the braes from Falkirk called California.:)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
WHEN that Aprilis, with his showers swoot,
The drought of March hath pierced to the root,
And bathed every vein in such licour,
Of which virtue engender'd is the flower;
When Zephyrus eke with his swoote breath
Inspired hath in every holt and heath
The tender croppes and the younge sun
Hath in the Ram his halfe course y-run,
And smalle fowles make melody,
That sleepen all the night with open eye,
(So pricketh them nature in their corages);
Then longe folk to go on pilgrimages.

Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales

We know that many 'mid-life' pilgrims go on Camino because of something that happened at home - some crisis or unexpected event - divorce, loss of job, bereavement, .. even 3 am ennui ... so this quote, from Seneca the Elder (54bc - 39ad)

"Every new beginning comes from some other beginning’s end."

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
She lived in a wee,coal mining village,up the braes from Falkirk called California.:)
Well, this is my new learning for today! Thank you. I will save it for another moment as I have to prepare a meal, but I do look forward to learning all about it. I do know that many place names in foreign parts come from the places the inhabitants set out from, but that one, California Falkirk is brand new to me,
88C72D6B-DB39-4B33-B443-5756DA5F7D16.jpeg 🤡🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿FC1004AE-5E75-4AC6-AB38-A4DCBBE1C099.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
"The moon & sun are eternal travellers. Even the years wander on.
A lifetime adrift in a boat, or in old age leading a tired horse into the years, every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home.
From the earliest times there have always been some who have perished along the road.

Still I have always been drawn by windblown clouds into dreams of a lifetime of wandering."

Matsuo Basho (1644-94) Zen Master and Abbot

... from my earliest childhood memories, first long wanderings away at three and a half, to be brought unwillingly back by police car, I have known this, dreamt this xx

LOL!! I wonder how many of us started young like that? I too have always wandered. My poor grandparents in Germany would go for after dinner stroll and I'd tag along from the time I was tiny. And always always I would wonder what was ahead, around the next corner.

Then at five my first real solo adventure. I was walking home from first grade with Betty Jean Tully (Yes I'm putting her full name here...never know might be able to track her down again!!) and took a two hour detour through the development next to ours. I needed to know and explore what was down those streets. I had to see the sights. 57 years later I can still feel the thrashing I got for it. And understand the absolute terror that must have been my mothers, when I disappeared like that. Didn't cure me though ;)

LOL!! I wonder how many of us started young like that? I too have always wandered. My poor grandparents in Germany would go for after dinner stroll and I'd tag along from the time I was tiny. And always always I would wonder what was ahead, around the next corner.

Then at five my first real solo adventure. I was walking home from first grade with Betty Jean Tully (Yes I'm putting her full name here...never know might be able to track her down again!!) and took a two hour detour through the development next to ours. I needed to know and explore what was down those streets. I had to see the sights. 57 years later I can still feel the thrashing I got for it. And understand the absolute terror that must have been my mothers, when I disappeared like that. Didn't cure me though ;)

This one???? https://www.facebook.com/betty.tully.988?lst=1560184738:100014056421462:1546968205

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Only relates to walking as it was an observation from my first Camino, I think it was Bob Dylon
"I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now"

"Never judge a person until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then you are a mile away and you have their shoes" Unknown

Here for all those people with foot ache:
In case you don’t understand him completely he had some drinks and had to walk and his feet we’re hurting😳

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
“I love the laughter of this night. Our footsteps run, and I don't want them to end. I want to run and laugh and feel like this forever.......... For now, just let us run. We run straight through the laughter of the night.”
― Markus Zusak, I Am the Messenge

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
"Two roads diverged in a wood,
and I,
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Of course, its usually 4 roads diverged in a wood...& the waymarker has fallen off the tree...
And the one less travelled is likely to result in nettle stings.... 😄
But we love it & wouldn't swap it for anything!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've always liked this one, which I believe is a Hawaiian saying - "No matter wherever you go, that is where you are!"

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The song that most represented my Camino is by Tom Petty.
“Started out down a dirty road, started out all alone”
“I’m learning to fly but i ain’t got wings”
I changed the next line a bit.
“Going back (home) was the hardest thing”
I miss the Camino EVERY day.

The song that most represented my Camino is by Tom Petty.
“Started out down a dirty road, started out all alone”
“I’m learning to fly but i ain’t got wings”
I changed the next line a bit.
“Going back (home) was the hardest thing”
I miss the Camino EVERY day.
If we are going to rewrite favourite songs, on my last Camino I found myself singing (to the tune of Simon and Garfunkel's Sounds of Silence):
"Yellow arrow, my old friend,
I've come to walk with you again..."

If we are going to rewrite favourite songs, on my last Camino I found myself singing (to the tune of Simon and Garfunkel's Sounds of Silence):
"Yellow arrow, my old friend,
I've come to walk with you again..."
Oooo! Thats a good one David

Hola David another fantastic post - 100 actions & reactions.
For my offering a small amendment to one of your opening quotes:
" if you want change in your life; be the change"!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
"Returning home is the most difficult part of long-distance hiking; You have grown outside the puzzle and your piece no longer fits." - Cindy Ross ... Oh, I wish I were brave enough to put this to the test! But what would I lose, also?
A continuous employment history on your resume. And this is a serious reply.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi All - in a 'waiting for 2019 to switch on' way I was sort of cruising Google images and found a plethora of hiking quotes - some profound, some funny .... thought I might start a thread of hiking quotes? (Couldn't find any Camino specific ones!)
Anyone in??

Here are a couple to start

View attachment 50370

View attachment 50371
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.

My employment has been erratic anyway. If I set out on foot to go and go and never come home, I would lose my cats, my beloved house, my good husband, my gardens, my friends and neighbors and family. And my job. I would learn and grow and deepen and all that, yes, but I am doing that anyway. My romantic spirit wants to hit the road for good, but I know better, really.

So, short trips and mini caminos.
Bona nit a tots,
Ellen the Pesto Queen.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Some songs text for the way
Da doo ron-ron-ron, da doo ron-ron.
This boots are made for walking...
Always take the weather with you...
One two buckle my shoes.

I saw these lines after I few days on the Camino Frances, written in the German language on a big wall

Who called you, Pilgrim?

Dust, mud, sunshine and rain - that is the way to Santiago.
Thousands of pilgrims and more than a thousand years.

Pilgrim, who called you?

Which secret power attracted you?
Neither it was the starry sky, nor the cathedrals.

Neither was it the bravery of Navarre nor the wine of Rioja,
not the seafood of Galicia and also not the fields of Castile.

Who called you, Pilgrim?

Which irresistible power attracted you?
Neither the pilgrims on the way, nor the traditions of the country.

Not the culture and the history or the cock of Santo Domingo,
not the palace of Gaudi and also not the Castle of Ponferrada.

All this you saw in passing and it was a great pleasure for you,
but you felt the voice who was calling - deep inside you,
the force, that drove you, the power, which attracted you.

I have also no explanation for it.

Only HE can explain it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.