• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking Sandals only?

Lucyev

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances July 22nd (2020)
Hi, I’m hoping to do the CF in early September, from SJPdP and hopefully onto Finisterre.

I was meant to do the Camino in 2020, my flight was all booked, but then we all know what happened!

I’m back looking at my gear now, and reading more about hiking sandals.I’m just wondering whether I could get away with just taking hiking sandals such as Keen Whispers, or whether I should take trail runners as well?

I will be taking crocs for evening/showers.

Thanks in anticipation.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Some people do. But for me there are so many rocky areas where trail running shoes are just better. Otherwise I would have been constantly hitting my toes on rocks. I do recommend wearing socks with hiking sandals though. I find that when I do hike in sandals... my feet are fine for short distance, but the further I hike the more blisters I get due to foot friction against the sandal. Socks would help to prevent blistering.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, my go to shoes are Trail Runners with Teva sandals which can be worn for walking around town, hiking if needed, and can even be taken into the shower (the original types of tevas - they have a lot of styles now that would be inappropriate for showers)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have walked all my caminos in only Teva Tirra. I wear toe socks as base layer and Smartwool socks on top. I have had no problems with blister nor bumping into stones. I prefer open toe sandals as I can get the pebbles out and when walking downwards no risk to get blue nails from toes crashing into the front of a shoe.

My backpack is around 8-9 kg (even more when I have to add extra water) and I average 38 km/day and have walked for 1530 km as my longest Camino so it is not just for short distances and light packs.

A lot of trekking sandals have a gas pad in the heel to give some cushioning and I know that the Teva Tirra is more or less without that cushioning after 360 km. So I usually bring 2 pair and use one for evening/showers etc and one pair for walking. Midways I swap them and walk on clouds for a couple of days.

Hi, I’m hoping to do the CF in early September, from SJPdP and hopefully onto Finisterre.

I was meant to do the Camino in 2020, my flight was all booked, but then we all know what happened!

I’m back looking at my gear now, and reading more about hiking sandals.I’m just wondering whether I could get away with just taking hiking sandals such as Keen Whispers, or whether I should take trail runners as well?

Thanks in anticipation.
I have walked in shoes (thats me in shoes in the picture), but now walk in sandals, never knocked my toes, and very seldom had a stone (on a once every few days basis, it isnt an issue). No blisters, my orthotics fit, feet dont get so hot - they dont have a down side. They are a German brand.
Didn't take shoes last time, and didn't need them. I did sometimes wear socks with my sandals. Check out posts from Kanga and Trecile who also wear sandals.

Last edited:
I'm another "sandalista." I've walked my last few Caminos, including the more "rugged" San Salvador exclusively in open toe hiking sandals.

Like @BeatriceKarjalainen I find it easy to remove the occasional small stone without having to take off the sandals, and injuring my toes has never been a problem.

I walked my first two Caminos in trail runners, and wanted to only bring sandals for my third Camino (the Norte), but I chickened out, and brought trail runners again.

One day I had to walk through ankle deep mud, so of course my trail runners were a mess. I washed them well, stuffed them with newspaper and put them in the sun to dry (it was July). In the morning they were still damp, so I put on my sandals, and never wore the trail runners again. I eventually mailed them to Ivar in Santiago.

Sandals are the best for walking in mud and rain!

If you are unsure, you can do as I did, and bring your trail runners, and if you find that you don't need them at all you can donate them or mail them to Santiago.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just one question to all the sandal wearers: it seems good in Summer but do you also wear them when it’s raining heavily or even snowing?
Granted I have never done a cold weather cold weather Camino, but I have walked in heavy rain, and sandals are great for this. I didn't have them for my first all sandal Camino, but I now carry waterproof socks for really wet days.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes, I'm also in the sandalista club (see avatar picture). Like Trecile, when necessary I wear waterproof sock when it is cold or wet (not usually when it is warm and wet). I've even worn the sandals in snow, and they were fine. In water or mud, I wade through, and wash the sandals at the end of the day.

I've been back and forth on this one. I'm leaving in 2 weeks-ish. I much prefer sandals, overall (with socks, in spite of the lack of fashion sense lol). I finally decided to bring my trail runners, just in case, and give myself permission to send them to Ivar if it turns out I am not using them. But I did make a last minute switch to a lighter pair of trail runners in a brand I know I can wear out of the box.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Thanks in anticipation.
You can definitely go w sandals but I’d bring 2 pair. I saw some people without socks but with socks worked better for me. One pair of standard sandals and one pair with a closed toe, like a water sandal, for rougher terrain.

I did my Camino with trail runners, so have no personal experience hiking with sandals. However, I met a 65 year old Italian gentleman who had switched from whatever shoes he was wearing (didn't see them) to sandals with socks for several days due to blisters. It's just my observation, but it seemed he was constantly stopping to remove small stones. I don't remember what kind of sandals they were - maybe the brands mentioned by others and designed for hiking are less prone to that.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
5 Caminos in Chacos (toe loop). In the rain, and down to 40°F. A couple times in the 30s for a morning start I donned a pair of Injinji toe socks.
I carry a pair of boots as backup. I’ve put the boots on a couple time during bad weather, or to give the dogs a change, but back to the Chacos within an hour.
Mostly the boots are for the plane ride.
The Chacos double as my shower shoes.
I also wear the après hike but with my toe socks. The skin around my heels chap, so I apply some lotion and put in the toe socks to help the moisturizer to soak in.
5 Caminos, West Highland Way in Chacos. No blisters, no stubbed toes, no ankle problems. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks in anticipation.

Thanks in anticipation.
My opinion is yes. I spent loads of time going to REI trying on proper hiking sneakers and they got ruined on day one! I ended up hiking most of the Camino in reef flip flops. Totally not recommended and do able. ☺️ If you have well fitting keen type shoes i think you'll be fine.

I have worn Keen Newports for most of the Camino Frances with socks and no big issues. You will pick up small stones along the way. If you are wearing Keens with toe covers make sure you get the 1-2 size larger so your toes don't bump on the down hills. If you wear your regular hiking shoes up hill wear your sandals downhill to prevent toe nail damage. I now wear Drew Warren sandals which are made so you can wear an insert if needed.
Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Thanks in anticipation.
There are so many variables at play it essentially comes down to how much protection and support you require for the trail conditions, your personal preferences, etc. I appreciate the superior ventilation of my Tevas and enjoy wearing them on paved surfaces and indoors, but on trail hikes they pick up pea sized stones that are difficult to dislodge without taking them off, slowing progress, so I usually use hiking shoes or trail runners and boots for more severe situations. You might give your sandals a trial run before you embark.

About Crocs for showers - regular Crocs can be extremely slippery on smooth wet surfaces, especially as the soles wear smooth. Kitchen Crocks grip well but they are considerably heavier, and their grip degrades as the soles harden with age. You might consider either carrying lightweight shower sandals or using hiking sandals for showering (removing mud and grit first).

Yes, I'm also in the sandalista club (see avatar picture). Like Trecile, when necessary I wear waterproof sock when it is cold or wet (not usually when it is warm and wet). I've even worn the sandals in snow, and they were fine. In water or mud, I wade through, and wash the sandals at the end of the day.
Wow, snow, impressive @Kanga ! But I suppose the waterproof socks make the difference? I’ve never tried them or even seen them sold in shops here.
To go back to the OP, I don’t think they’ll be necessary on the CF in September 🙂🤞

Thanks in anticipation.
I use Teva hiking sandals for 85% of my summer hiking , but you still need walking shoes for those rocky loose places . You can still wear your sandals in the shower

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you so much for all your replies! Sandals only certainly seems doable. I have a pair of Keen Whispers arriving this week, so will try them out. I have an old comfy pair of Hokas so could possibly take them and bin them en route if the sandals seem to be working out! Thanks again.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Wow, snow, impressive @Kanga ! But I suppose the waterproof socks make the difference? I’ve never tried them or even seen them sold in shops here.
To go back to the OP, I don’t think they’ll be necessary on the CF in September 🙂🤞
Yes, the waterproof socks are really warm. They have a second use as foot warmers on cold nights!

Edited to add: there are two drawbacks to my sandals (Ecco OffRoad) - firstly the footbed is beautiful but does take a while to dry out, and secondly the traction is not as good as I'd like - my feet slipped on wet steep stone sets in Portugal.

Last edited:
There are so many variables at play it essentially comes down to how much protection and support you require for the trail conditions, your personal preferences, etc. I appreciate the superior ventilation of my Tevas and enjoy wearing them on paved surfaces and indoors, but on trail hikes they pick up pea sized stones that are difficult to dislodge without taking them off, slowing progress, so I usually use hiking shoes or trail runners and boots for more severe situations. You might give your sandals a trial run before you embark.

About Crocs for showers - regular Crocs can be extremely slippery on smooth wet surfaces, especially as the soles wear smooth. Kitchen Crocks grip well but they are considerably heavier, and their grip degrades as the soles harden with age. You might consider either carrying lightweight shower sandals or using hiking sandals for showering (removing mud and grit first).

…. or even Crocs flip flops/thongs, made specifically for wearing after a long day’s walk.

Having said that, I did eventually send mine on to Ivar.
Three pairs of footwear: boots, sandals and Crocs?? Too, too many! 😉
Next time I’ll take my Tevas and toe-loop Chacos and be spoilt for choice 😉

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I don't know why. My hiking sandals are quite secure on my feet. Sure, shoes may work better on parts of the trail, but not enough to warrant carrying the extra weight.
I wore sandals with no issue all the way down to Molineseca. The only time I had isues with my toes I was wearing shoes on the previous Camino
My aunt who was previously a fan of boots, wore Tevas (top right of the photo) for a Camino, and then for many multi day wilderness hikes in NZ with no problem. She didn't even bother bother with socks, even on some of the South Island alpine trails. When they wore out she bought some more structured sandals (a Swiss brand), and she has no problem with either sandal type. My husband has the same brand of sandal and he loves them.
Another friend bought sandals for part of an Oxfam trail walk, they were the more closed in variety, with covered toes, and she had issues with them. She still hit her toenails, and got stones in them. They may have been Merrils, but I cant recall exactly.
I think if you want to try sandals, they are a bit like shoes, and you have to get the right style/brand for you.

@Kanga
Did you ever decide upon your new choice of sandals?
Was it the Ecco ones you found slippery underfoot?
Yes, it is the Ecco's I was wearing on the Portuguese. I've worn them on ten or so previous Caminos with no problem, but the steep (wet) stone sets were a problem - maybe my sandals were a bit worn.

I have not found a replacement, nothing is as comfortable. This time I'm taking a pair of Hoka One One's specifically to wear in Portugal, in the towns, and my reliable Ecco sandals once I cross over into Spain and for walking the Primitivo. I wore them on the Primitivo the first time I walked it, and they were fine (despite lots of mud and slush).

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, the Eccos are very comfortable; I’ve had a pair for years but used them for everyday use.
Sorry to hear that you’ve not found a good substitute.

I have enormous trouble finding shoes to fit my awkwardly shaped feet, but have very little trouble finding a good fit in sandals.

Hope you do eventually find the perfect pair!

Buen Camino!

Thanks in anticipation.

If you like walking in sandals and you have a light backpack, you will never use anything but sandals in summer (including September).

Just bring a pair of socks for chilly mornings and evenings.

I wear Tevas (old, light models without much padding ect.) plus wool socks. It is totally possible to only walk in sandals. But you should know what you're doing (weather risks, difficult terrain, how strong are your ankles...? ect), so go for some training hikes before you decide :)

I've walked/hiked in sandals+socks combination april-november (worst weather was about 1-2°C and snowy rain) and also in terrain that is not exactly sandal friendly (loose rocks, trail sections that required climbing ladders and similar (not on the Camino), with a big backpack and my wooden staff, too. I got some funny looks there from other hikers, that's for sure! But for me it works.

Longest trip was a 1800+km Camino and the boots I brought as backup were in my backpack almost the entire time - I wore them a few times to not feel stupid for bringing them and in the end sent them home.

Worst part is the fashion police. Muddy, wet sandals + socks... You get funny comments and looks sometimes!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks to all contributing to this thread. I love my Salamon walking shoes - same model for many Caminos. And i am always nervous of changing something that’s working!

But i also love my Keen sandals. I take them as a second pair of shoes for evening and also the occasional water crossing - it does happen on some Caminos 😎.

So, yes, I’m carrying that extra weight - but i do forego other things to keep my pack down to 6-7 kg without water. And for now, I’m comfortable with that weight. Though after more than 2 years in Covid slumber, I wander if I will feel the same in a few weeks time when we are on the Chemin du Piemont.

Given all the positive reviews by those who wear sandals only - I’m thinking I might test that out on the Piemont and see what happens! 😎

another sandalista here‼️ they’re on my feet now ... and they are so comfortable I where little else ... except for gardening clogs at home ... the closed toe on the Keen Arroyo II and the deep sole make all the difference in dealing with stones and pebbles ... easily cleaned / washed and dried and great for orthotic insoles such as SuperFeet ...

another sandalista here‼️ they’re on my feet now ... and they are so comfortable I where little else ... except for gardening clogs at home ... the closed toe on the Keen Arroyo II and the deep sole make all the difference in dealing with stones and pebbles ... easily cleaned / washed and dried and great for orthotic insoles such as SuperFeet ...
Ah yes, i forgot. I have to consider my rather pronounced orthotics which are essential for me for walking longer distances. Maybe they will not fit in my current Keen Whispers. Will have to check that! 😎

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you all. My Keen Whispers arrived yesterday, and…….. I think I’m in love!
I ordered a half size up and they feel great. I just have to get past their , ahem, ugliness now, and an inbuilt girly aversion to socks with sandals! I will try them out on the weekend, but in the meantime, please post photos of all you beautiful ladies (and gents) in your socks and sandals not giving a damn about the fashion police!

This is literally the only one I have of my feet, in socks and sandals, its one of the reject pics. I think this was leaving Arzua in the rain, looks weird with 2 tone socks.

Only on the Camino!

Attachments

• BK iphone Pics 815.JPG
    BK iphone Pics 815.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 123
Last edited:
This is literally the only one I have of my feet, in socks and sandals, its one of the reject pics. I think this was leaving Arzua in the rain raining, looks weird with 2 tone socks.

Only on the Camino!
I Love it! Camino Chic!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Here's my sox 'n sandals pic from a muddy day on the Norte. Later on this same day I found a foot washing spigot near the beach and gave them a quick rinse.

View attachment 120790

I have the feeling that you, trecile, have ‘Camino Chic‘ as standard 😉
eg those merino dresses and your sleeping arrangements.

@Lucyev
If trecile wears them, I wouldn’t give it a second thought! 😉

PS Wish I could remember who posted ‘Chanel No. 5’ on the not serious thread years ago …

Last edited:
I ordered a half size up and they feel great. I just have to get past their , ahem, ugliness now, and an inbuilt girly aversion to socks with sandals! I will try them out on the weekend, but in the meantime, please post photos of all you beautiful ladies (and gents) in your socks and sandals not giving a damn about the fashion police!

If it helps, know that socks + sandals have been fashionable for at least a few years now!

I've actually been wearing socks with my Birkenstock Arizonas for a long time - probably the first (and likely last) time in my life I accidentally found myself ahead of the fashion curve :)

Last edited:

Thanks in anticipation.
I did most of the Camino Frances in sandals as my feet swelled daily so my running shoes were too tight. As others have said here wearing socks good idea, also open toe to get small pebbles out. Poles are a must for some areas where it is very rock and roll. I also went through two pairs of sandals on the trip.

Thanks in anticipation.
I’ve done serious backpacking with Keen Newport Waterproof sandals. The Caminos are much less demanding.

So I got to try my new Keen Whispers out today on a 7 mile walk. I walked on sand, forest trails and gravel paths and the sandals did good! I wore the, with Bridgedale socks and had no rubbing or blisters. They weren’t quite as cushioned as I’m used to with other shoes, but on the whole I’m pleased! 9703866B-974E-48E8-8844-D734AEC7867D.jpeg9703866B-974E-48E8-8844-D734AEC7867D.jpeg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sorry! Not very good at posting photos or anything vaguely technical!

I've met pilgrims wearing sandals. Met one with bare feet. I actually had dress shoes, and no blisters until afterward in Cardiff (three days on pavement).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Another sandalista here. I have walked in (and eventually worn through the soles) three different Keens styles - Newport, Venice and Whisper.
All worked fine, but Newport is my favourite due to them fitting my wide feet best. The Whispers had the least traction and the sole wore significantly faster than the other two. But they still worked!
I have not walked in snow, but have had day after day of rain and mud. I’d happily choose sandals (always with socks) any day (whilst recognising that other people have their own favourite combo - because general sensibilities suggest sandals are not a good option, it can be helpful for the Sandal Club to speak up when invited to!)

Thanks in anticipation.
Why do you need Crocs in the shower?
Hiking sandals are great to change into after the long part of the day to allow the feet to dry out and relax the last 5-10kms of the day, with or without socks and they are fine in the evening, no crocs req.

it can be helpful for the Sandal Club to speak up when invited to!
They always do speak up, even when not invited.😅
Someone posted a photo yesterday of the Keen Whispers. It seemed they had less of the bulbulous front "bumper" they are known for, but I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not.🤔

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Why do you need Crocs in the shower?
Hiking sandals are great to change into after the long part of the day to allow the feet to dry out and relax the last 5-10kms of the day, with or without socks and they are fine in the evening, no crocs req.
Some hiking sandals have straps that hold water after showering, possibly that can be a factor, but not sure.

Thanks in anticipation.
I used Keen sandals, and flip flops for shower. Then found a really light slip on for evenings along the way.

Okay sandal club, is there anywhere once I have passed the descent into Uterga where sandals are a hassle? I haven’t worn my trail runners since that day and I’m rapidly getting tired of carrying them. I know about El Acebo but I’m thinking I may just take the road. Trail runners or sandals, my feet don’t like those rocky descent.

Okay sandal club, is there anywhere once I have passed the descent into Uterga where sandals are a hassle? I haven’t worn my trail runners since that day and I’m rapidly getting tired of carrying them. I know about El Acebo but I’m thinking I may just take the road. Trail runners or sandals, my feet don’t like those rocky descent.
The only other day is the descent to Molineseca. Ive done it in sandals and shoes.
Its unpleasant either way. But for that stretch you can walk on the road, thats what I do now.

I did it once in sandals too, but I’m seriously considering taking the road this time. It left quite an impression one me as an ankle twister.

Thank you!

Here's my sox 'n sandals pic from a muddy day on the Norte. Later on this same day I found a foot washing spigot near the beach and gave them a quick rinse.

View attachment 120790
I remember switching to sandals when walking from Canterbury to Dover, in the rain, because the mud was so deep I feared it would get into my boots…. I then had to wash my feet - sandals included- in the sink on the ferry 😂 I got some funny looks 😳😂 Sadly I never thought of taking pics …Still makes me laugh though!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just one question to all the sandal wearers: it seems good in Summer but do you also wear them when it’s raining heavily or even snowing?
I’ve walked across Roberts Ridge in NZ in. blizzard. Crossed the rivers- I went straight through the water with a pair of sticks and out the other side as if nothing had happened. My friends all had boots and I had a couple of birthdays waiting for them . At the end of the walk I was the only member of the team to not have a mark on the feet. Keens Arroyo II sandals - they have a protected toe and heel. If I was going day after day in snow - I’d go for a shoe - but it’s pretty amazing where sandals go comfortably. Ask a Legionnaire

Thank you all. My Keen Whispers arrived yesterday, and…….. I think I’m in love!
At the airport after CF 2013 and on Ingegärdsleden 2020.

Attachments

• 8C127A24-0135-4DC0-A425-2A132C95B85C.jpeg
    8C127A24-0135-4DC0-A425-2A132C95B85C.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 57
  • 9914B35F-D0D6-4FC2-B925-615F5A716E0D.jpeg
    9914B35F-D0D6-4FC2-B925-615F5A716E0D.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 74
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I'm loving this thread and am strongly considering joining the "sandalista" club as I think they would provide a good solution for my increasingly problematic hammer toes (casualties from many years spent wearing high heeled shoes during my paid working life).

So a quick question to the club, and in particular those who favour the open toe sandal: Do you size up, as many of us typically would do for conventional trail footwear?

I'm loving this thread and am strongly considering joining the "sandalista" club as I think they would provide a good solution for my increasingly problematic hammer toes (casualties from many years spent wearing high heeled shoes during my paid working life).

So a quick question to the club, and in particular those who favour the open toe sandal: Do you size up, as many of us typically would do for conventional trail footwear?

It depends on whether or not your feet tend to swell when ‘distance’ walking, especially in warm/hot conditions.
If your sandals are very adjustable you shouldn’t have too many problems.
(as long as the sandals are long enough to begin with.)

Usually not necessary, as @chinacat said, if the straps are adjustable and long enough they should adjust to fit any swelling, and if you choose open toe sandals you won't have the problem of your toes hitting the end of the shoes.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What is the brand on the right Lady B with those lovely blue socks ?
Are they a wide fit?
Teva Tirra, they are wide for being a woman’s sandal and good options for adjustments. It’s the only sandal I use now this color is the worst though as the material in the fabric is thinner than usual and the D-loops turns sideways. I prefer the more sturdy fabric or the leather version.

I'll be the contrarian.
I use Merrill Moab Ventilators (boots) on my Caminos, and on my training walks around here. They are not waterproof and provide, as the name says, ventilation. They actually look similar to several of the photos of hiking sandals posted. They keep rocks out and their Vibram soles are tremendous. They are mid-high and I wouldn't dream of taking a walk of this magnitude without them.
I use sturdy sandals from Decathlon as my walk-around-town footwear at the end of the day, while my boots are "resting." I always wear socks with them. Quite the fashionista.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you had walked from SJPP to Pamplona recently, you would not even think of wearing anything but boots!

Another sandalista here. I have walked in (and eventually worn through the soles) three different Keens styles - Newport, Venice and Whisper.
All worked fine, but Newport is my favourite due to them fitting my wide feet best. The Whispers had the least traction and the sole wore significantly faster than the other two. But they still worked!
I have not walked in snow, but have had day after day of rain and mud. I’d happily choose sandals (always with socks) any day (whilst recognising that other people have their own favourite combo - because general sensibilities suggest sandals are not a good option, it can be helpful for the Sandal Club to speak up when invited to!)
What suggestions would you have for walking in a cold, rainy environment (north of England) in sandals? Waterproof socks?

I wear Tevas (old, light models without much padding ect.) plus wool socks. It is totally possible to only walk in sandals. But you should know what you're doing (weather risks, difficult terrain, how strong are your ankles...? ect), so go for some training hikes before you decide :)

I've walked/hiked in sandals+socks combination april-november (worst weather was about 1-2°C and snowy rain) and also in terrain that is not exactly sandal friendly (loose rocks, trail sections that required climbing ladders and similar (not on the Camino), with a big backpack and my wooden staff, too. I got some funny looks there from other hikers, that's for sure! But for me it works.

Longest trip was a 1800+km Camino and the boots I brought as backup were in my backpack almost the entire time - I wore them a few times to not feel stupid for bringing them and in the end sent them home.

Worst part is the fashion police. Muddy, wet sandals + socks... You get funny comments and looks sometimes!
What suggestions would you have for walking in a cold, rainy environment (north of England) in sandals? Waterproof socks?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
5 Caminos in Chacos (toe loop). In the rain, and down to 40°F. A couple times in the 30s for a morning start I donned a pair of Injinji toe socks.
I carry a pair of boots as backup. I’ve put the boots on a couple time during bad weather, or to give the dogs a change, but back to the Chacos within an hour.
Mostly the boots are for the plane ride.
The Chacos double as my shower shoes.
I also wear the après hike but with my toe socks. The skin around my heels chap, so I apply some lotion and put in the toe socks to help the moisturizer to soak in.
5 Caminos, West Highland Way in Chacos. No blisters, no stubbed toes, no ankle problems. Your mileage may vary.

I have never used waterproof socks like sealskinz, but some other forum members have - maybe they can help with that question.

Unless it's snowing, I simply use thick merino socks and change into dry ones when resting. I have walked in constant cold rain like that for several days in a row and it does work for me, so I never tried the waterproof socks. They do sound interesting though. Merino socks still keep your feet warm when wet, as long as you keep walking. When resting you have to change to dry ones.

Walking in wet wool socks is certainly not for everyone. Worst moment ist after breaks, when you have to take off the dry "rest stop socks" and put on the cold, wet "walking socks" again.

When I expect bad weather I bring an extra pair (4th pair) of socks that is only used in the evenings and is kept dry at all cost.

When there's a risk of snow, a pair of boots as backup in the backpack. I have walked in sandals in light snow and it worked, but certainly do not recommend that for others.

You might want to try going for day hikes with sandals/socks in bad weather first. You'll quickly know if it's something that works for you. Bring a pair of boots and warm/dry socks as backup for such training walks.

I brought boots and sandals on my first Camino. Wore boots day one and the sandals for the rest of the journey. I'm only taking 2 pairs of sandals on my next Camino. Different shapes. One with a removable heel strap in case I get a heel blister and one with a closed toe for walking on rough uneven ground. I'll also carry socks and a pair of insoles for walking on cobblestones. but may not need them. If I was walking in winter or in a cold destination I would wear boots or trail shoes but for France, Portugal and Spain - April to October, sandals suit me fine as I walk maximum 20km a day.

Walked from outside Sarria to Santiago in early April. 80% was in Chaco's Zcloud (toe loop); I dumped the well-worn trainers on the way as they gave me nothing but trouble. The last 13.6 mile day was rainy, windy, cold; I wore the Chacos with Injinji toe socks and they worked fine. I had brought waterproof socks but didn't end up wearing them.

I might bring a different pair of trainers next time (just got some Altas I am trying) but I definitely prefer the Chacos to any closed-toe shoes, and they were fine in the rain.

My advice would be exactly the same as @good_old_shoes
I have also found injinji toe socks to be fine (but I still keep one pair of woollen socks for after walking)

I am also a sandalista… and I have walked in Luna and Xero sandals, which are both in the category of barefoot Footwear.
And I love it! Lightweight and easy to flip eventual pebbles out.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am also a sandalista… and I have walked in Luna and Xero sandals, which are both in the category of barefoot Footwear.
And I love it! Lightweight and easy to flip eventual pebbles out.
I have walked the Camino 90% in my Teva but still have walking shoe for mud or rough gravel . While on the Aragonnes route I kicked a rough stair set and broke a toe, third toe , taped it to the other toe and kept on going .

i walked from Logrono to Santiago in keen newport h2 sandals with no problem (with the sandals- i had other disrelated injuries). after i switched from altra lonepeaks to the keen sandals it was like night and day. the keens offer more than enough support and barrier to the rocks and mud. i walked through deep heavy mud in them with no issues. highly recommended! you can also modify the lacing to suit your needs. there’s a youtube video on how to disassemble the keen rapid shoe lace system.

I'm another "sandalista." I've walked my last few Caminos, including the more "rugged" San Salvador exclusively in open toe hiking sandals.

Like @BeatriceKarjalainen I find it easy to remove the occasional small stone without having to take off the sandals, and injuring my toes has never been a problem.

I walked my first two Caminos in trail runners, and wanted to only bring sandals for my third Camino (the Norte), but I chickened out, and brought trail runners again.

One day I had to walk through ankle deep mud, so of course my trail runners were a mess. I washed them well, stuffed them with newspaper and put them in the sun to dry (it was July). In the morning they were still damp, so I put on my sandals, and never wore the trail runners again. I eventually mailed them to Ivar in Santiago.

Sandals are the best for walking in mud and rain!

If you are unsure, you can do as I did, and bring your trail runners, and if you find that you don't need them at all you can donate them or mail them to Santiago.
What brand of sandals?

I love the looks of this pair, but never heard of them before. Does anyone have any experience with this brand?

Thanks in anticipation.
I wore Keens Newport H2 last year from Gibraltar to Muxía, abt 900+ miles. I wouldn’t even consider trail runners again.

Yes, it is the Ecco's I was wearing on the Portuguese. I've worn them on ten or so previous Caminos with no problem, but the steep (wet) stone sets were a problem - maybe my sandals were a bit worn.

I have not found a replacement, nothing is as comfortable. This time I'm taking a pair of Hoka One One's specifically to wear in Portugal, in the towns, and my reliable Ecco sandals once I cross over into Spain and for walking the Primitivo. I wore them on the Primitivo the first time I walked it, and they were fine (despite lots of mud and slush).
Yay, ECCO fan! I live in Coimbra, Portugal and this, my first winter, I stepped outside apartment, looked at the glistening wet pavement, looked down at my ECCOs and thought, "Nothing ventured, nothing gained!" Actually, I think I was paralyzed with fear, as I had just had a right hip beautifully replaced in USA and, at 79, well, ya ' know ...but way hey, heck! Writing now in March 2024, I have had some shimmy-shimmy moments, will admit, but never once (knock on wood) fallen. Two pairs of ECCOs (they DO take a minute to dry, :oops:right?) and a shower pair of cheap Chinese-store flip flops. CF = my 4th. Love it. Hope to upswing from Leon to Norte and Primitivo to Santiago. As I now live in Portugal, I can take my time without having to rush around for a return flight to USA. Thinking another Camino in September. THE most fun you can have with your clothes on!

Thanks in anticipation.
In 2022, I walked from Gibraltar to Muxía in Keens Newport H2 sandals. No sweaty feet. 👍🏾

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.