• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking Sandals (Which one?)

TravellingSonn

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2008, Le Puy route (TBC)
Hi All,

As well as my hiking boots, I'm thinking of carrying a pair of hiking sandals (to use in the evenings, in the shower and sometimes alternating between my boots)

Can anyone suggest what has worked for them in the past?

Buen Camino
Love and smiles
Sonia
:D

A selection of Camino Jewellery
TravellingSonn said:
hiking sandals

I snagged an el cheapo pair for 13 Euros at a village shoe store (zapateria) early on. They weren't bad, but I wish I'd brought my Tevos from home. Before leaving for the Camino, I'd actually bought a pair of Tevo aqua shoes, but they seemed too thin in the sole, so I left them at home for use at the beach. Ecco makes a decent sandal as well, or so I've heard.

I would be careful about walking too far in them, though. I noticed younger folks walking in sandals (Tevos & similar types), and they tended to blister up. One German dude I saw well into my trek wore sandals exclusively, and his feet were a mess. They were almost totally coated with a Compeed-like material. And if you happen to stumble in them on the rockier parts of the trail...ow.

If I go back to the Camino (which I certainly hope to do someday), I'll definitely look for a comfortable, durable sandal, though - gotta pamper the feet as much as possible during the off-trail times...if you find anything cool, let us know! :) :arrow:

Vinotinto wrote: One German dude I saw well into my trek wore sandals exclusively, and his feet were a mess.

HI VT,
Was he by chance a rather tallish man with longish hair? I think I walked with him for awhile - he had been hospitalized because of the condition of his feet, I think - severly infected. I think I met him in Navarrette and then kind of lost track around Santo Domingo de la Calzada - he was walking much slower than even I (if that can be imagined!). But it was one of those instances that made me stop complaining about any pain in my own feet!

I saw many people walking in Tevo's. I had hiking shoes and a pair of Adidas sandals for evening and the shower. I wanted something I could wear in the water - and was glad to have them considering the conditions of some of the floors. The last thing I wanted, particularly with blisters, was to pick up an infection in the shower somewhere. I didn't walk in them. Now I think I might take Tevos and the Adidas (which weigh nothing)just to have a change of footwear when the going gets tough. There were days where the worst moment of the day was putting that shoe on in the morning. And you must have something to change into at the end of the walking day....
Buen Camino,

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
sil would be a very good person to ask about this.... as she ended up walking quite far in sandles. She could tell you what brand she ended up buying.
Margaret

I arrived in Burgos and stayed 3 days due to an ankle injury. When I was told it would be some days before I could walk again I left to visit friends in Bilbao and when I left Burgos I did not realize I had left my walking shoes at the albergue. Since it took over 2 weeks to be able to walk again, I started back up in Leon without my shoes... all I had were my Tevas. I had read the forum of Grant Spangler who walks with just Tevas and felt I should try as well. It was wonderful. They support my arch, my toes never banged on the front of the shoe (I had seen so many people with black toes nails-ouch)from walking the downhills.... overall perfect. Wet or dry conditions did not matter. If cold I put on double socks and since they are adjustable it worked well.
I wonder if those that were walking in sandals were doing so because of the blisters they received in their closed shoes and were thus walking in their "other" shoes.
I got 2 blisters, albeit small ones with my shoes. No complains with the sandals.
Ahh, because I lost my shoes, I had less weight to carry as well.
Have Fun
Lillian

Deirdre said:
Was he by chance a rather tallish man with longish hair?

He was tall, but had short hair and was in his twenties. He was walking with a tall German woman that was either his girlfriend or wife. I ran into them after Leon, in the elevated town with a Gaudi building. I remember seeing his feet and grimacing at their condition...ugh. Each to his own, I guess.

MermaidLilli said:
I wonder if those that were walking in sandals were doing so because of the blisters they received in their closed shoes and were thus walking in their "other" shoes.

The Slovanian woman I walked with on the first two days from St. Jean to Zubiri started out wearing Tevas. She got a couple of blisters and hot spots from them - but then again, she wore them without socks... :arrow:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I took Crocs to wear around the albergues and when sightseeing. After tearing the skin off my heels I had to wear them to walk in for a few days. When we got to Logrono I bought a pair of cheap, hiking sandals and walked in them the rest of the way - about 600kms. The only problem with them was that the soles were quite thin and I could feel pebbles and stones through the soles. I sorted this out by taping the inner soles of my boots to them and after that they were fine.
At home we have a lightweight hiking sandal made by Rocky. You get the 'amphibian' models that can be used crossing rivers and walking in the sea.

I have just been breaking in my TEVA TOUCH and I think it is ideal for the camino. Besides being soft , light and strong, it has a toe guard which is very appropriate for the rocky part of the trails. On the other hand, no such luck with Salomon Gore -Tex walking shoes...Very hard and HOT!! It is water proof but too tough. Now I remember reading here someone saying that water proof shoes would be heavy and cumbersome...Now I know... Anyway, I hope my experience helps although I haven't started my Camino yet. It will be in the end of May and till then I expect to have found THE walking shoes. Regards and buen camino, Sumachado :lol: :p

Crocs also make a sandal that's very light weight and doesn't have the ankle strap in back. Perfect for evenings, showers and cheap. That's my choice for this time around.

As for sandals the entire time...you'd better have very tough feet and perfectly sized sandals. If they get wet, if your socks stretch, or if you don't wear any socks...you're asking for a problem per rocks, slipping and bruising your upper foot area. After many, many miles in all kinds of conditions, Boots remain the best overall footwear.

Unless of course you're a Zulu warrior!

Boots...sandals...we don't need no stinkin' footwear. Our footwear IS our feet!

Buen Camino
Arn

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Unless of course you're a Zulu warrior!

* Or a tough old white Zulu gogo with blisters!

* Or, if you belong to an organisation called The Barefooters as does Dr Renato Alvarado Vidal from Patagonia, a camino pilgrim who goes barefoot everywhere - including the camino. He even works in the hospital, goes to restaurants, travels - barefoot.
Machi describes walking barefoot as 'massaging mother earth with your feet" But he does say that going barefoot walking cannot be done without training the feet:
I don't want to be misunderstood, going barefoot is not a magical recipe, your soles must be well and long trained
You can see photos of Machi's barefoot pilgrimage here.
http://www.barefooters.org/gallery/pilg ... index.html

* Or if you are two students walking the camino barefoot to raise money for Cambodian Children's Charity - Camkids.
http://www.thisishertfordshire.co.uk/ne ... 90.0.0.php

* Or, a barefoot devotee, Marco from Spain: http://www.geocities.com/vinividivixit/camino.html

* Or, Alberto Guimaraes, a barefoot, secular Franciscan brother: http://360.yahoo.com/fatimadogblue

Who needs sandals?

I applaud those that can focus their intentions so tightly that they could go barefoot if they choose. Be it for an ideal or a cause...they're one of a kind.

I've hiked long miles in weather less welcoming than I would want. I've climbed mountains, to the top, long after I knew I couldn't go any higher. I've swam, where another would have drown. I've lived when I should have died.

But...never, no never did I ever forget that through it all...I had backup who could be counted on to make sure I had a cold beer waiting after my trials.

On foot, bare foot...or foot loose!

Buen Camino,

Arn

My husband wore hiking sandals a lot - Keen Newport H2 Sandals - and he loved them. Lots of air, lots of grip, lots of support.

lynne

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi All,

Once again folks thank you for your input, I'm off next week to find my perfect sandals.

Buen Camino
Love and smiles
Sonia

I wore Keen (Arrows I think) trail sandals, with socks. Great ventilation, good support, thick shock absorbing sole, comfortable. The sturdy toe-guard provided great protection on rocky downhills. Only when the rain was really heavy did my feet get soaked and without any noticeable negative effects regarding blisters. Only minor irritant was that about every two or three hours a small pebble kicked up from the trail got into the sandal through the sandals's leather upper open fretwork. I just regarded it as the Camino "talking to me" saying it was time to stop and take a 2 minute break, drink some water and get rid of the pebble.

Thoroughly recommend Keens. I really felt they were ideal for the Camino and was glad I left my Meindl mountain boots behind. The weight reduction with every step, on every km, for all 800km's being the main benefit. In Aug/Sept I encountered 5 or 6 rainy days but most days were bright and sunny, and got swelteringly hot as the day progressed onwards, would not like to have been in boots. I was reminded of my Meindls by some graffitti on an underpass along the Camino (a drawing of a pair of boots with fire coming out the top and a thermometer registering 60C sticking out of the sole) titled Botas de Fuego.

Even if you got wet walking in the Keens (say it was raining for an hour or two in the morning), I found that if you stopped for coffee, left the Keens in the sun or wind to dry, changed into a dry pair of socks that by the time you were ready to start walking again the Keens were dry.

Its always going to be a trade-off whatever footwear that you use on the Camino, but the Keen's worked for me, and were well able to deal with the spots of the Camino where there is difficult harsh terrain. Considering most of the Camino is on waymarked paths and not difficult, harsh terrain they are a good compromise. Would I wear my Keens climbing Carrauntouhill (Irelands highest mountain)? Definitely not, thats Meindl territory.

Re: OzThongs Sandals

OzThongs said:
OzThongs introducing different types of beautiful Sandals. OzThongs is a company dedicated to customer service, very fast delivery and the best sandals at the best prices. We have a very clear goal... Make you happy! If there is anything you would like OzThongs to carry please email us and we will definately look into it. We love our job and your feet will love our products.
Please visit: http://www.ozthongs.com.au/sandals

Are you presenting this stuff as useful for walking the Camino de Santiago?
The OP wanted something as an alternative from boots on the trail. Are your items suitable?
Are you an importer or a manufacturer? If you import, where from?

Thanks! :D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Are you presenting this stuff as useful for walking the Camino de Santiago?

Iam not speaking for the poster, but just in case you are not aware - thongs in Australia are what are known as jandals in NZ, and I think flip flops in other parts of the world. Thus, this footwear might be useful for bathroom footwear, but not as hiking wear. I read this post as an "advert" - haven't checked the link - and to that end, I would suggest that the "crocs" thongs are also ideal for bathroom footwear, and feather light (I took them last time). Cheers Janet

Hi. Last year, I took boots (with inner and outer socks) for walking in during the day, and thongs (Flip-flops) for dual use in showers and evening wear (very elegant!). I had no problems with my feet - no blisters, no tendonitis etc. Thongs were good for the shower, and looking at other peoples infected feet, I wouldn't go near a shower without something on my feet. But thongs were a failure for evenings, as in late October it is cold so you need to wear socks. So when I go again in Sept this year, I will take Crocs, which serve the dual purpose for shower use and can be worn with socks in the evenings. Contrary to what others have said, personally I would never wear sandals - I saw too many blisters and bruised soles as a result of sandals. Buen Camino

Stupid question maybe but since I never have worn Crocs before: Surely they must dry quickly seeing you use them first for showering and afterwards for walking around town? Do they not tend to be still a bit humid afterwards?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Crocs do no absorb any moisture, so a quick wipe with a towel, and they are dry. When blisters attacked my walking companion, first he tried his Teva sandals, but they rubbed the blister. He borrowed my Crocs for two days of walking, and they were perfect, after which his blisters were fine and his boots comfortable again. I cannot say too many nice things about Crocs -- they are great (I only have higher praise for my Pacer Poles).

Thanks for the advice! I will search for some neutral Crocs then. So I can leave my Speedo bathslippers and Ecco sandals ( was not that keen anyway bringing them anyway, combination of socks and sandals brrr )at home.

I would think the nice thing about Crocs are three:

1. They are extremely lightweight
2. They are waterproof
3. They have a really nice LARGE toe box

I'm not sure I could walk in them, but it would be worth a try...

My Teva's, by the way, gave me blisters, but they were not the hiking Tevas.. just regular old Tevas.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello Sabine,
These are the Crocs we wear - Crocs Caymen. There are several different styles but the caymen have good soles and also a backstrap which can be turned over the front to make them into slip-ons. One way for walking the other for the shower is our choice.
If you use Amazon you can buy them online. Crocs Caymen on Amazon
NB: This is the UK link
Here at home our boots are Hi-Tec (lightweight) Waterproof for walking and the Crocs for evenings, sightseeing etc. and that is what we plan to use for our Camino
Buen Camino
Tia Valeria

Cheers everyone! You convinced me : Crocs it will be. Extra pair of socks for the Crocs , seeing I will be walking april/may ( prepared for ALL kind of weather ). If they are as good as my Lowa walking shoes I will be a very happy lady.

I walked the Primitivo last August in my Teva sandals, they were great. I put one pair of socks on, mainly because if I didn´t it was impossible to get my feet clean in the evening.
I will use them again on my next Camino, hopefully this summer :) .
Josefine

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Greetings Pilgrims. I walked in well broken in Scarpas with 2 pair of socks. Half way through each day we'd take off our shoes and socks to dry out and massage our feet. I used Tevas for those after walk times - good to get some air onto the feet. Tevas not so good for walking - too many small stones creep in and boots too heavy to carry.
Had occassional blisters on toes and treated those with wonderful Compeeds. Now I love my feet!! Buen camino!!

Would like a forum update please on current model hiking sandal recommendations. Looking for something zero drop (or close to).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you want something minimalist check out Xero shoes. They have the Trail model, and the closed toe Colorado style.
Thank you, I have the Z-Trail. Great for evenings and pottering around, but too minimalist (for me anyway) to walk 20 miles a day on a thru-hike. Looking for more cushion underfoot.

The sandals I ended up with are a pair of natural leather Birckenstock Milano. I use them daily for: walking around cities and urban areas, light hikes (in terms of terrain, the profile on these is not that great), any casual situation. Birkenstock was recommended by a footwear expert I contacted.
I have Brooks Cascadia trailrunners besides the Birkenstocks. I use them for running, hiking (on the tougher and perhaps rockier trails

Last edited:
I love my Tevas. Use them for afterhours on my Caminos and here in Australia all summer.

Hi All,

As well as my hiking boots, I'm thinking of carrying a pair of hiking sandals (to use in the evenings, in the shower and sometimes alternating between my boots)

Can anyone suggest what has worked for them in the past?

Buen Camino
Love and smiles
Sonia
I use TEVA sandals with a mush sole in the evenings. I can shower with them, they dry fast, I can wiggle my toes and get air to all of my foot. They do take up quite a bit of room in my pack.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've been using Tevas since the 1980s, when they were among the first hiking sandals. I can't say that they are better than the alternatives, though, since I haven't worn the other brands.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.