• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

hiking shoe - hallux rigidus

ParismeetsScot

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
I am hoping to walk the Camino in 2018 but I suffer from an arthritic condition called Hallux Rigidus - or rigid big toe. I am fix and healthy but need to find a trekking shoe that will cater for my condition. Basically I need a shoe with a wide toe box and a fairly rigid sole. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If available where you live, check out the Keen brand of hiking boots. Typically, they have very roomy toe boxes. I am on my second pair of Keen Targhee II boots, after five Caminos. I got four Caminos on the first pair, albeit with two resoling services folded in after the first and second full Camino Frances.

I found that the soles are only good for about 1,000 Km before the tread wears down. But, that could be marked up to my feet and walking style. Your experience may vary.

But, caveat emptor, regardless of which brand and style you choose, always check with the manufacturer concerning whether the particular style runs small or large, versus the quoted size. For example, Keen states (or stated) that their Targhee II boot runs 1/2 size SMALLER than marked. Hence, if you needed a US size 11.5 boot, you must size up to a size 12 to get the true fit.

Also, and as discussed elsewhere on the forum, you should buy your boots a minimum of one full size larger than your street shoe size. This allows for daily foot swelling from heat and moisture, and another one half-size for the second pair of socks one ought to be wearing to reduce friction and increase cushioning.

Personally, I have long advocated that 1 and 1/2 sizes extra are best. That allows 1/2 size for swelling, 1/2 size for the socks, and 1/2 size for the splaying or spreading of the foot that occurs after you have walked several weeks with a load on your back. In my original experience, my street shoe size US 11 feet required a size 12.5 boot. But, as discussed regarding Keen sizing, my Targhee II boots are marked as a US size 13 (EU 47).

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Altra zero drop shoes are known for giving toe a lot of space, but I don’t know if a zero drop shoe is good for people with your condition. Having found out the wrong way while on Camino that I have flat feet and then dvelopped plantar fasciitis on anither Camino, I cannot say enough how important it is to consult with a podiatrist a good 3 months before departure.

Podiastrist can not only make you, or sell you, the proper orthotics, and then adjust them if needed, but they can also advise on the beat shoe. I bring mine a few pairs I think will do, feel comfortable, and she then makes the call on which ones to walk in based on her knowledged.

Being in pain while walking is no fun at all.

Best of luck.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I do not recall seeing this resource mentioned previously on the forum, but cannot imaging that it has not been at least once. Not only the right boots but also a good pair of insoles can do wonders for your feet. Look up theinsolestore.com. You will find insoles for all sorts of foot conditions and activities, as well as a lot of information about foot problems. They also can make some specific recommendations to try if you have difficulty choosing.

I might as well contribute to thread drift. Once one gets a set of boots that sort of fit, there is a lot one can do to customize the fit through the art of lacing!

I learned all about lacing from doing long distance running and then mountain climbing.

Let's start with the bible on lacing.

https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm
Now let's go to a summary of just a few of them

http://resoleblog.com/tighten-up-your-laces-33-different-ways-to-tie-your-shoes/

And now for the really important lesson. On several pair of my hiking boots the left foot boot is laced differently than the right foot boot. That also allows me to really customize the "fit" of the boot to each foot.

Another piece of advice. I adjust my laces when hiking and climbing after about half an hour to get rid of any pressure points. I also adjust my laces when I start a long downhill decent to keep my toes from jambing forward into the front of the boots.

The OP may wish to play around with different lacing styles once she gets boots that are close to the right fit.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Might as well as add a few more lacing tutorials.

http://www.footpainreliefstore.com/library/lacing.htm

https://www.aofas.org/footcaremd/how-to/footwear/Pages/Lacing-Techniques-for-Proper-Shoe-Fit.aspx

https://www.verywell.com/lace-your-shoes-to-fit-right-3436348

The point is that a lot can be done to adjust the fit of a pair of shoes/boots with the way you lace them.

My high school basket ball coach during our first practice had everyone take off their shoes and remove the laces and then he went around and helped us lace our shoes properly. In doing training for half marathons, in talking to other runners some looked at my shoes and told me I should try a different lacing technique not the one that the store provided.

I have a Hallux limitus condition , i suppose I can look forward to the Rigidus bit later :eek:
In any case the accepted shoe for cases such as this is the Hoka one range , the extra padding is supposed to mimic the flexing of the toe joint so as to not limit your natural gait .
I persisted with my Merrell Moabs but fitted them with ' Neat Feat ' innersoles made for sufferers of Neuropathy and Diabetes , these are marvelous , the only drawbacks are that they do take up room in the shoe so a larger size is needed and they do contribute to feet becoming warmer than normal .

@t2andreo, Tom, where can you have Keen boots resoled? Do you have to send them somewhere? I asked around the DFW area last year and was told that my Keen boots could not be resoled.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Altra zero drop shoes are known for giving toe a lot of space, but I don’t know if a zero drop shoe is good for people with your condition. Having found out the wrong way while on Camino that I have flat feet and then dvelopped plantar fasciitis on anither Camino, I cannot say enough how important it is to consult with a podiatrist a good 3 months before departure.

Podiastrist can not only make you, or sell you, the proper orthotics, and then adjust them if needed, but they can also advise on the beat shoe. I bring mine a few pairs I think will do, feel comfortable, and she then makes the call on which ones to walk in based on her knowledged.

Being in pain while walking is no fun at all.

Best of luck.
thank you for your valuable advice, I will definitely contact a podiatrist and get their opinion. I agree I don't want to be in pain if I can avoid it.

I have a Hallux limitus condition , i suppose I can look forward to the Rigidus bit later :eek:
In any case the accepted shoe for cases such as this is the Hoka one range , the extra padding is supposed to mimic the flexing of the toe joint so as to not limit your natural gait .
I persisted with my Merrell Moabs but fitted them with ' Neat Feat ' innersoles made for sufferers of Neuropathy and Diabetes , these are marvelous , the only drawbacks are that they do take up room in the shoe so a larger size is needed and they do contribute to feet becoming warmer than normal .

Thanks for the advice Charles, I intend to try out the Hoka one range, I have read that a rocker type shoe is best for hallux rigidus. I have heard that you can delay the onset of hallux rigidus if you have a shoe with good arch support.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for the advice Charles, I intend to try out the Hoka one range, I have read that a rocker type shoe is best for hallux rigidus. I have heard that you can delay the onset of hallux rigidus if you have a shoe with good arch support.
I own a number of Hoka One One pairs as I buy them when on sale for future use. Be aware that the fit from one model to the next is very different, with many of them being quite narrow. Thankfully the company has come up with a « Wide » version of some of its models but I have yet to be able to find them in the shops.

Also, while I loved walking with my Bondi 3 pair, the thread is very porous, in order to keep the weight down. This means that the shoe would not last for a full Frances or VDLP, only for some 300km or so before running the risk of becoming very slippery. So look for a model with a Vibram or Vibram type sole.

I have two different orthotics for my flat feet: a custom made hard set and then a Vasily + Dananberg that my podiatrist added on so I can laternate between the two pairs. The Vasily is supposed to be for Hallux Limitus; I have no idea how it would work for your condition but it might be worth lookijng into it with your podiatrist. http://www.vasylimedical.com/products/signature-series/dananberg

I am hoping to walk the Camino in 2018 but I suffer from an arthritic condition called Hallux Rigidus - or rigid big toe. I am fix and healthy but need to find a trekking shoe that will cater for my condition. Basically I need a shoe with a wide toe box and a fairly rigid sole. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So I joined this despite the fact that this particular hike has nothing to do with my plans. However, I have hallux rigidus and after close to 10 years, this Friday got a Cartiva implant which was recently approved in the US. I did not wish to get fusion so for the past few years, in order to delay the inevitable, I have been using the following:
http://indianabrace.com/footblades.aspx

You need to pick a show with an insert you can pull out. Put this in and replace the insert. It's a thin carbon plate that minimizes the force on your toe. It is by far the best soluti n I found during years of pain.

I have just completed the Camino with hallux rigidus in both feet. Olang hiking shoes, custom orthotics, Nordic Walking poles (essential! You need help when walking down slopes and steps with HR!) - not a single peep from either hallux! Trouble from other spots - tendonitis, blisters - but the big toe joints held up perfectly.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It amazes me all the different foot issues, even more the tenacity to overcome.

I have a similar issue and when I am not walking a camino I ride a road bicycle. My bicycle shoes are perfect as they are wide enough and have a very stiff sole as required in a bicycle where the shoe clips onto the pedal and further more they have plenty of ventilation to keep your feet dry and cool.
Try a bicycle shoe that takes a Shimano SPD cleat and just leave the cleat off.
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.