• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking shoes/boots versus trail runners on the Norte/Primativo

cherrys

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Sept/Oct (2013), Finisterre/Muxia Oct (2013), Camino Frances and on to Finisterre Sept/Oct (2016)
Hi I've done the CF in boots, then last year in trail runners, which were fine. Now, miraculously, we're headed back to Spain to do the Norte and probably Primativo, April 19-June5. Tickets were booked watching the inauguartion (I had to do something to cheer us up). I'm thinking we want hiking boots for that? And then high or low ones? Thanks in advance for advice - we can't wait to get back - Cherry

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I haven't walked the CF in trail runners, or the Norte or Primitivo at all, so I hope you don't mind if I respond with some more questions!:p

Since you have done the CF in both, did you have a significant preference for boots vs shoes during any particular conditions? Are you thinking high boots versus low-mid boots, or are you asking boots versus shoes? (I am trying to figure out when one would ever wear "high" boots.)

So much fun to play with the equipment ideas! I am inclined to say you should go with whatever worked best in your last two caminos.

Hi - The first time I started out with well worn in Vasque hiking boots, medium weight I would say, as that was all I'd ever hiked in (not those particular boots, but others like them), in New England, Colorado, California, BC, France, Switzerland and Ireland. They fell apart coming into Molinaseca, were hot glued by a camino angel in the cafe on the left, and got me into Ponferrada where I bought new ones. Talk about stress. They were black, Gortex, heavy, but comfortable. Not one blister the rest of the trip. Now I shovel snow in them. But I just felt both boots were a bit overkill for the Frances. Hence the Adidas trail runners. I talked my husband into that too. No regrets as they were cooler, more lightweight, and frankly, other than a very few sections, more than adequate. We both wore sandals a lot too. Looking at a lot of videos on the Norte it seems the terrain is more consistenly rugged than on the CF, that is why I'm thinking about boots again. I have a pair of Merrill Moabs which I wear daily this time of year, but they're a little too small for the camino with an extra sock liner and better innersole. They are just below my ankle, but my old ones were a couple of inches above it. My daughter-in-law's sister is Spanish, she and her husband have walked lots and lots of sections/caminos, and she said boots because of the rain and wet. I don't like "waterproof" because of how hot they can get, but am considering them, and planning on using my new hiking sandals (purchased only a couple of days before we decided to actually go) whenever the weather or trails are warm/dry. My preference is always minimal footware, etc, and I am very comfortable hiking in sandals. I also used to work in a rock climbing/mountaineering shop for many years, so know most of the pros and cons. As usual, equipment is fun to ponder, the decisions reached can make or break your comfort level and camino. Good to hear from you - Cherry

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If I were carrying hiking sandals anyway, I wouldn't want a large pair of boots as well. So I'd probably go with the trail runners as an alternate pair. But in fact my all-purpose footwear of choice is a pair of mid-height lightweight gortex boots, because they fit me so well!

It sounds like you understand all the important considerations - you may end up tossing a coin!

Hi Cherry, I can't advise you about the Norte, but I walked the Primitivo in non-waterproof trail shoes. Mine are very similar to the heavy-duty type of trail runner and they were perfect. I brought Keen sandals (the big ugly ones) as my spare footwear and wore them some days.

Caveat - we had great weather on the Primitivo. Had it rained a lot, I might have preferred my mid-rise boots.

Sorry, this probably doesn't help your indecision!

There is no reason at all why you would need a boot of any kind on the Norte, or Primitivo. The type of terrain you will be walking on is no different than the Frances, in fact you will be doing less walking in tractor tracks which keep your feet and ankles on an angle.

The challenge on this route is the up and down, not the slippery or rocky surface that may required more stability. I now wear either Hoka One Ones Bondi for supper cushionning or my old go-to Salomon Ultra 2 GTX.

Now, about the Bondi, only good for a short (350-450km) Camino because the sole is super porous, so the shoes is super light, but they HOO now makes other models with a Vibram sole.

https://www.hokaoneone.com/women/bo...gender&prefv1=women&start=2&cgid=best-sellers

http://www.salomon.com/caus/product/x-ultra-2-w.html?article=371641

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We did both the Norte and Primitivo over 2015 and 2016 using trail runners. They were problem free. Both these routes include a lot of road walking where the additional cushioning of trail runners is helpful.

Hi - thanks to all of you who responded. After an ice storm, no power briefly, and then shoveling 2" of slushy ice in my "boots of Spanish Gortex" I can finally sit down (although it is again snowing huge flakes on top of the ice that was left, so more shoveling tomorrow). I can't wait for April 18. Before the ice started we were out running errands and hit up a few shoe stores. I found two pairs of Columbia shoes, a brand which I usually find somewhat hard and uncomfortable, which felt great!! The North Plains, size 9 men's (my foot used to be a somewhat dainty women's 9 AA) weigh in at 13 oz. each. The Carolina Ridge men's 10.5 at 15.oz My Adidas (women's 11) were 11 oz. and the black Spanish ones 17 oz. So right now the plan is the North Plains, which feel like a very lightweight hiking shoe or a slightly heavy trail runner. The best of both world, or the worst??? My new sandals are Khombu Tikis, women's 9 and weigh 9 oz., wish they weighed less but they are super comfy. My Xero sandals from last fall's CF are about 3 oz I think, but no padding. The size range is bizarre, but they all fit great. Hope I'm not boring you with all of this info, but we all know how consuming this subject is, and hopefully it will help someone else. Buen camino - Cherry

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi I've done the CF in boots, then last year in trail runners, which were fine. Now, miraculously, we're headed back to Spain to do the Norte and probably Primativo, April 19-June5. Tickets were booked watching the inauguartion (I had to do something to cheer us up). I'm thinking we want hiking boots for that? And then high or low ones? Thanks in advance for advice - we can't wait to get back - Cherry
I walked a

My family and I walked half of the Primitivo last year in June (a member of our party had an injury, so we had to change plans - will be back in 2018). I wore a pair of Merrell Chameleon's with superfeet insoles - green, which I wear almost everyday at work, and just around. I found that they did not offer the support or the protection needed on the Primitivo. The sole was not thick enough, and as a result, I felt every rock on the trail - my feet were so fatigued by the end of the day I was reluctant to go out and explore the towns where we stayed. I went to REI, and now I am experimenting with Salomon Mid Gortex hikers - with the green superfeet insole - so far so good. I've done about 20 miles in them on similar surfaces as the Primitivo and like them very much.

Our favourite footwear is still Hi-Tec. We prefer their waterproof lightweight leather boots. Altitude seem to be discontinued, at least for ladies fit but we currently are using Ravine. Mine are wearing well and they have good grip and thickness of sole. Never tried their shoe type footwear as we like the boots, especially on the Primitivo in May.

Gortex is a good waterproofing for short hike trail boots. When on long walks, added pack weight, your legs and feet are stressed. Gortex is sold as a " breathable waterproofing ", good promotion, bad advice, Gortex is like wearing a plastic bag on your feet, OK some breathing, it's like wearing 1/2 a plastic bag, at best. Stick to good leather boots with leather lining or sandals if you have proven they work for you.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.