• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking Shoes, or Hiking Boots?

Coming from the land (or one of them on one side of the Tasman at least) that was built on the sheeps back I prefer to use lanolin rather than vaseline. It still has the lubricating and waterproofing qualities but just seems to me a better option to petroleum jelly. Cheers, Janet

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Pertaining to the 1000 Mile Socks that I posted earlier about - it only took a week to get two pairs from England and the Canadian Customs did not add any duty or taxes to them.

I have wore them for three walks now, ranging from 6 to 8 kms, once wearing my Merills low-cut hiking shoes and twice wearing my Nike running shoes. So far, no blisters. And they are nice looking socks!!!!

It will be interesting to see how they perform on longer walks.

Hey Tim!

We just got ours last week and were pleasantly surprised as well to see no extra taxes or duty.

We've tried them out a few times and not sure about them yet. I find them very tight on the front of my ankle where my foot flexes - the wrinkles dig into my skin, but maybe that will relax. My husband finds them very difficult to get on, but I think that's a function of his size 14 feet!. On the up side, I love the built-in extra toe room and smooth feel on the bottoms. We ordered two pair each so we'll keep training in them and see if we take them in April.

Hope you're planning a camino soon, Tim!

lynne

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Tim,

Good to see you participating in the Forum again and hope the worst is over for the winter in Toronto. Thought I would like to put in a picture of shoes worn by a chap, one of many, who carries a heavy load up daily up a mountain, does not really answer the question of what to wear on your feet on the Camino but may put into perspective how feet and shoulders adapt.

Attachments

• Shoes anyone.JPG
    Shoes anyone.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 6,826
Tim-the-fat-Canadian said:
To add to what I have said before, today I walked 11 kms in preparation for my journey. I felt good. No groin pains, no shin splints, everything felt great. Was going to book the flight!

Until about the 5th km. Then I felt my foot beginning to blister. But I was 5 kms from home, so I kept walking my circular route. At about 9 kms, I flet the other foot begin to act up.

Upon arriving at home, my right foot has a blister about the size of a quarter, on the left foot, half of the bottom of the foot is a blister, plus another huge blister on the left side of the left foot.

Darn, Darn, Darn. This will set me back at least a week. At least I will have some extra time to concentrate on buying new footwear. :wink:

Blister advise, anyone?

Though this thread was started some time ago, it's still worth mentioning that blisters have many causes, well discussed.

But there's a factor I haven't seen mentioned here, and that is that Tim is overweight. That can cause blisters, and there's only one solution.

Way harsh. I'm fat, and never get blisters, so weight does not cause blisters per se. Fat people with properly fitting footwear do just fine!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Caminando said:
But there's a factor I haven't seen mentioned here, and that is that Tim is overweight. That can cause blisters, and there's only one solution.

Im overweight(fat) and i didnt get one blister on my recent camino, SJPDP to Santiago. Not sure why i didnt get a blister as me and my boots had a love/ hate relationship, i hated walking long distances in them and they loved to put my feet through all kinds of torture.

I think tim will suffer many problems from being overweight(all rectifiable with experience) but blisters is not one of them.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked in autumn last year, and after reading various blogs on footwear for the camino went out and bought top of the range leather hiking boots. I then spent six months wearing them walking most days with no problems. Within three days on the camino I was having serious issues with blisters, and by the time I reached Burgos had 16 blisters, and feet which resembled mince meat! In Burgos I purchased a pair of Asics trekkers ( similar to their athletic shoes, but with a trekking sole) end of any foot problems for the rest of the walk to SdC. I would recommend hiking shoes above boots, but that is only a personal opinion.

Falcon, Mike, Linda - thanks for weighing in. I admit that I am too heavy but when I originally read that post, I thought, WOW, where did that come from? I have never heard from this guy before and bang - .

I do not think that responding to his comments are warrented - we all have issues that we are working on - for some it is wonky knees, or wobbly ankles, overweight, or maybe breathing issues, etc. We are all working on them and doing our best.

I am still experimenting with different sock, shoe, boot, lubricant issues to resolve the blister issues. Eventually I will settle on the best solution and if everything works out, I will make another attempt at completing the Camino this coming September.

Once again, I really appreciate your support.

Tim:
You asked about "blister advice". I am sure it has been mentioned at some point in this forum, but piercing a large blister with a fine needle and a fine thread (you won't feel it) , cutting the thread short and leaving it there to slowly and safely drain off the fluid will make walking easier. I plan to take this and a small tube of antibiotic ointment as part of my first-aid kit on my up-coming camino. I am as ever also fighting the weight battle. Mostly concerned about added strain on the knees and ankles. My favourite fair-weather hiking shoes are an inexpensive pair of NORTHFACE low-cut boot. Very light weight and ventilated. I wear a man's shoe as I have a very wide foot and this also allows room for an orthotic made to resolve my individual issues ... I highly recommend getting this done if you can afford it. In contrast, my more expensive, heavier Gore-tex MERRELLs are not rounded enough at the toe. They will be left behind. Guess I will have to do a dry-weather late sumer/fall trip! It is all a work in progress. Do not dispair! Judy
P.S. I love my double layer ( cotton-lined Merino wool) anti-blister WRIGHTSOCKs and also the slightly heavier FOXRIVER socks ... both available at Mountain Equipment Co-op

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
(JRWillis).....but piercing a large blister with a fine needle and a fine thread (you won't feel it) , cutting the thread short and leaving it there to slowly and safely drain off the fluid will make walking easier

I have never seen what one is expected to do at the "end" of this treatment, and so to clarify - do this treatment in the afternoon / evening after your shower, leave overnight, and take the thread out in the morning before you put the boots back on - otherwise you will have an aggravation in your footwear to create yet another blister. Janet

Janet - I totally understand your point and I was worred about this as well but I simply covered the blister with the thread still in and kept walking. It was fine. The theory is to leave the thread in until the blister is dry.

John

Interesting John, because I tried that (covering and leaving) when I was departing Figeac and could feel the thread rubbing on the new skin underneath, which is why I stopped and removed it. Mind you, if one treats the blisters as soon as one gets settled in the early evening, by the start of the next day they should be well and truly drained anyway I would think. I suspect that the problems might occur if the blister has got really big - then it would take longer for it to drain and dry. Cheers, Janet

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello. I am a rookie planning my first Camino trip. I have recently discovered this board and am in heaven with all the great tips! My friend and I do not have time to do the entire thing (vacation time from work won't allow for it) but we are going to do about 100km from Sarria to Santiago. So my question, as I debate footwear choice, does anyone have experience hiking in running shoes? We are beginning are hike in very late August.
I would prefer just to wear my very comfy running shoes. OR...I thought about buying trail running shoes. I find the Asics brand fits well and I would like to go with that.
I know people have posted that people hike in many different things.
But wondering if any comments from people who have gone it in running shoes.
I also think ours won't be as long of a walk, maybe it's not as crucial a decision as if I was walking a month straight. But it concerns me enough to want to ask advice. Thanks much.

From Sarria to Santiago is mostly road or improved path, so lightweight shoes should be fine.

Tim,
I followed the guidance in "Fixing Your Feet" (available in paperback), and used a multi-level prevention approach:
Layer 1: Fabric tape (I used Kinesioflex)
Layer 2: Powder (I used Gold Bond Foot Powder)
Layer 3: liner sock
Layer 4: thicker boot sock

And in the evenings, a good rub with Badger Foot Balm. I was very happy with the results (no blisters).

Also, I changed over to a fresh pair of insoles just before leaving on the trip.

But frankly, I wish I had paid as much attention to reducing my pack weight. It snuck up to 21 pounds which was way too heavy. Good luck with troubleshooting those blisters!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Kit,

Thanks for the great advice. I am willing to try anything. Last Sunday I walked 12kms in a new pair of trail running shoes - flat surface but in -13C weather - and got a blister. I have determined that the 1000 mile socks do not work after a few washes, and although I had put a generous amount of vasoline on my feet - still got the blister. I did not use a sock liner so that could of been the problem. The thing I have going for me this time around is that I am not in a rush. I have lots of time to experiment.

Last March when I did go to St Jean, I had taken the best tips of everyone's packing lists - and wound up with a very heavy pack. I have sold my duck down sleeping bag and plan on replacing it with a sleeping back liner. I am going to try to take no more than 10lbs. An extra pair of pants, shirt, light jacket, socks, underwear, and maybe some bandages. A map, passport, and some euros. We'll see.

Hi Tim,
You say
I did not use a sock liner so that could of been the problem.
I think that is exactly right. We use 3 pairs of socks!!! Maybe overkill but it works for us.
1. Thin liner sock
2. Thin mohair ankle length
3. Mohair sock with padded sole and heel
Blisters are caused by friction and this seems to be taken up by the middle layer which are the only ones that get worn. I walked the Norte and Primitivo like this and took 3 pairs of liners which I changed and washed every day. 2 pairs of middle and 2 pairs of outers which I washed as needed. Mohair - being hair does not go smelly like wool or synthetics.
Keep trying different systems until you find one that works for you. However good the sock you will still need, I think, to use a liner as well.

Blessings
Tio Tel

As Terry's 'other half' I'll second that. One pair thin, wicking liners with a middle layer of Corrymoor Sportsman and top cushioned pair of Corrymoor Woodlander (Terry) or Companion (Valerie). The cushioned socks come in 2 lengths.
Like Terry's all the wear on mine has gone on the middle layer which need replacing, while the liner and outer socks are still fine. No blisters or hotspots in either hot or cold weather. No Vaseline for us, but some Spanish foot powder at night for me, Terry prefers to use some also in the morning

One full set of the Corrymoors plus 3 pairs of thin liners weighs 200gm. The other set is on your feet.
If you want to check them out Tim here is the link http://www.corrymoor.com/the-socks.html with US sizings etc..
Hope you find something that works for you.
Tia Valeria

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I got hiking boots and was glad in retrospect. I did the Camino Ingles and there is quite a bit of off-road walking on trails. I appreciated the extra ankle support. I believe I might have sprained an ankle without them.

I treated my feet with Body Glide, wore Injinji sock liners and Thorlo Light weight cushioned hiking socks and no foot problems/blisters at all.

When I first went to a Canadian Pilgrims meeting in Toronto in November 2009, and I was brand new to this long distance walking thing - they talked about always wearing double socks. I was a long distance runner when I was younger (5km, 10km races mostly, and once a 42km marathon) and had never heard of double socks. So the day after the meeting, I walked 5 miles in double socks. When I got done, I had more blisters than feet! I had wore two pairs of white sport socks - at the meeting they did not explain what the double socks were - I have come a long way..........thanks to all of you folks :D

Falcon, Mike, Linda - thanks for weighing in. I admit that I am too heavy

Hey Tim

YOU said you were "fat"; it's in your user name.I didnt use the word fat. Now YOU say you are "too heavy". The only way I know you're overweight is because YOU told me. That's fine, you're not being criticised by me; if you choose to feel that you are, then you'll have to deal with that yourself - it has nothing to do with me.

I said there are many reasons for blisters, and being "fat" as YOU say, is one of them. I said "overweight" and well, well, now you agree with me. So what's the issue? If you call yourself Tim the Fat Canadian, then don't complain .

Lets try again, with revised info. I'm sorry I told you one reason among others for blisters - you can start walking and you'll be just fine. In your case it is untrue to say that being overweight can cause blisters. As Falcon says, "complaints are often because the solution is rejected".

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I don't think it is what you said - I think it is how you said it. And I stayed out of it - others jumped in to my defence. The way you attacked me just does not go along with all of the friendship and helpfulness that the Camino brings to people.

I have moved on - hopefully you will do the same.

This below is how you"stayed out of it"? Come on!

Reread my first post and tell me what's wrong with "how I said it."

I couldnt have been more polite, given that YOU call youself "fat".

Falcon, Mike, Linda - thanks for weighing in. I admit that I am too heavy but when I originally read that post, I thought, WOW, where did that come from? I have never heard from this guy before and bang - .

I do not think that responding to his comments are warrented - we all have issues that we are working on - for some it is wonky knees, or wobbly ankles, overweight, or maybe breathing issues, etc. We are all working on them and doing our best.

I am still experimenting with different sock, shoe, boot, lubricant issues to resolve the blister issues. Eventually I will settle on the best solution and if everything works out, I will make another attempt at completing the Camino this coming September.

Once again, I really appreciate your support.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
When I first went to a Canadian Pilgrims meeting in Toronto in November 2009, and I was brand new to this long distance walking thing - they talked about always wearing double socks. ................. I had wore two pairs of white sport socks - at the meeting they did not explain what the double socks were - I have come a long way..........thanks to all of you folks :D

Tim did anyone also say about buying your boots/shoes bigger than normal to accomodate the layered socks? Because of the different way UK and US shoes are sized it is difficult to say how many sizes bigger you need. The best advice we had is to go about mid-day when you have been 'on your feet' for a time and wear all your sock layers as you try the boots on. (Feet are smaller early morning). Then you should have room to wriggle your toes but not room for your foot to slide up and down when the boots are tied. Nor should they feel tight, it should be possible to slacken them off a little. Adjustment of laces during walking is also described in various places on the forum.
Buen Camino
Tia Valeria

The idea of passing a thread into the blister and leaving it there is one which I heard a while back, yet it is one which I suggest will lead to easy infections.

The thread is unlikely to be sterile, and anyway may pass bacteria from the shoe, by the thread into the blister, when left in place. I don't think its a good idea, though it has been used for years. We can only alleviate the discomfort of a blister; only time/rest will cure it. The thread is intended to help heal the blister quicker - but runs the risk of further problems.

Blisters as we know are caused mainly by friction and pressure, sometimes linked. This can be the foot rubbing in the boot, or it can be caused by excessive weight, either by a heavy rucsac or by being overweight, as is well known. The increased weight from whichever source, causes the tissue under the skin to move differently from the outer skin, known as shear stress, thus causing a blister. This is why we can get blisters on the sole of the foot, caused by shear stress on the skin, and not by rubbing. Pressure is caused by weight: the more weight, the more shear stress. If we reduce the weight by a lighter rucsac or losing excess weight, then this will help. As we know, wearing two pairs of suitable socks can go some way to preventing this.

Blister formation is worsened by soft or moist skin. If we are carrying too much weight, we sweat more, thus softening the skin.

I walked the Frances Way in autumn last year and wore Asics Trekking shoes, they were fabulous and I could not recommend them highly enough.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We are constantly urged on this Forum to cut down the weight we carry or risk problems with our joints (knees and ankles, etc), breathing, general motivation, and blisters. That excess weight would surely include what we carry in our packs and on our bodies.

I have had an ongoing blister problem (talked about in other streams) and for my 4th camino this year, as well as employing all the anti blister tricks, I'm determined to cut down pack weight to less than 8 kg. Hope I wont get blisters this time . . . BUT, if I do, will be using the thread and needle method.

To steralise the thread and prevent infection, liquid Betadine antiseptic is great (I find it more versatile and user friendly than a cream). Douse the small length of thread and the needle in a drop or two of Betadine, or totally immerse. Also use liberal amounts of Betadine on the blisters. I use the traditional method mentioned by JW and leave the thread in till the blister heals, or as long as possible. Often it comes out as I walk and needs to be redone. If the thread is taken out or falls out, the blister, I find, refills with liquid the next day, thus causing pain, aggravation and increase in size. It really needs to be left in for ongoing drainage. Maybe this will help someone.......

Buen camino a todos. Carole

Re the thread thing, I have never had problems, I put a match to my needle first, then thread the blister with needle and clean thread, put on copious amounts of Iodine and then press down hard with a piece of gauze, followed by Citrazide antiseptic cream. Leave it to air, keep on pressing down on blister with gauze to get fluid out, next day a plaster and you don't feel a thing. It is practically gone.
I do get to the blister in the early stages before it is too deep. Would not do this if it had got really bad. Gitti

Good advice, C, for those who wish to use the thread method.

I hope you can avoid blisters next time, because they are such a drag if they're any way big. You're right that the blister hole seals itself; I used to remake the hole each day. However, an odd thing is that tho' I occasionally got a blister when younger, I find that I don't get them now I'm older. Don't know why, or if age is a factor. I also have flat feet(fallen arches) but that has never given a problem.
Happy feet on your next walk!

CaroleH said:
We are constantly urged on this Forum to cut down the weight we carry or risk problems with our joints (knees and ankles, etc), breathing, general motivation, and blisters. That excess weight would surely include what we carry in our packs and on our bodies.

I have had an ongoing blister problem (talked about in other streams) and for my 4th camino this year, as well as employing all the anti blister tricks, I'm determined to cut down pack weight to less than 8 kg. Hope I wont get blisters this time . . . BUT, if I do, will be using the thread and needle method.

To steralise the thread and prevent infection, liquid Betadine antiseptic is great (I find it more versatile and user friendly than a cream). Douse the small length of thread and the needle in a drop or two of Betadine, or totally immerse. Also use liberal amounts of Betadine on the blisters. I use the traditional method mentioned by JW and leave the thread in till the blister heals, or as long as possible. Often it comes out as I walk and needs to be redone. If the thread is taken out or falls out, the blister, I find, refills with liquid the next day, thus causing pain, aggravation and increase in size. It really needs to be left in for ongoing drainage. Maybe this will help someone.......

Buen camino a todos. Carole

f

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My boots were 1 size & half larger and were PERFECT! One thing I will mention, now I've got one Camino under my belt - a lot of hiking boots/shoes etc are quite generic to fit a myriad of feet however, they don't always have the best arch support!!

Given the Camino has MANY MANY MANY MANY ROCKS after painful experience, may I suggest you get some good thin but well fitted orthotics or an arch support to fit your foot and boot and wear them in well prior! The rocks can wreak havoc with the tendons in the arches of your feet and ALMOST POP - that is NOT happiness!!! I also was shown how to layer tape around the bottoms of my feet to protect the arches & balls of my feet to help - these were fab after the damage was done - luckily I went to a Dr just in time, before the tendon went POP!

But I'm going again next year and armed with this am hoping for a much less painful Camino in 2012!!

Cheers
Jacqui

Ankle support is a serious consideration as the terrain is varied and extremely rugged in many places. Another thing to consider is the added weight of your backpack which puts extra stress on your feet supporting you. I wore good quality hiking boots and was then happy to change into my Teva sandals after showering at the albergue.

I wore trainers for the whole of my Camino (Roncesvalles to SdC) a couple of years ago, and intend to do the same this year. I never had any foot problems or blisters. We are each different, there is no hard and fast rule or right or wrong, wear what feels best for you.
Sandra :arrow:

My blister advice is :

1. Don't get them by wearing proper fitting shoes and STOPPING to dress hot spots before they become blisters

2. COMPEED - available in almost every farmacia in Spain in a plethora of sizes and shapes. Spend a little cash stocking up at the beginning of your walk and stop and slap one on if you feel a hot spot. Leave it there until it falls off on it's own, usually a few days later.

We have been wearing Hi-Tec walking boots for some time now and had new ones last year, ready to walk tha Camino this year. Thinking of future walking we were sad to find that our favourite boots are 'discontinued'. The new styles are not what we want, so with much searching we have sourced a new pair for Terry (Amazon) and found a pair for me in Millets while looking for his.

If you too have a favourite style of boot and are walking again next year it might just be worth checking if they are still widely available, or are changing.

The same is true of rucksacks, but that is not such a problem.

With the investment in the latest new boots we should be walking for some years yet :D

I also was considering the vibram five finger "shoes". They felt divine on and I was pretty much sold until I spoke with a reputable (I think) shoe salesperson who believes that Vibram got it half right, but only half. Yes our feet need to be able to expand as the five fingers allow, but they also need to be able to contract, which is more difficult in the five fingers. The five fingers just keep our feet in a constant state of expansion, he felt. Not sure how I feel, am looking at some hybrid models that are still sold as minimalistic, but for walking trails.

http://runningshoes.com/search?searchterm=Trail%20

A link to some of the hybrids I'm researching.

I'm traveling mid October to mid November, so can't do only my tevas, which is what I would prefer.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sequoyah said:
I also was considering the vibram five finger "shoes". They felt divine on and I was pretty much sold until I spoke with a reputable (I think) shoe salesperson who believes that Vibram got it half right, but only half. Yes our feet need to be able to expand as the five fingers allow, but they also need to be able to contract, which is more difficult in the five fingers. The five fingers just keep our feet in a constant state of expansion, he felt. Not sure how I feel, am looking at some hybrid models that are still sold as minimalistic, but for walking trails.

http://runningshoes.com/search?searchterm=Trail%20

A link to some of the hybrids I'm researching.

I'm traveling mid October to mid November, so can't do only my tevas, which is what I would prefer.

There's a thread here about the VFFs:
equipment-questions/topic11124.html

In October, I would consider NOT using the VFFs. Too cold and too wet. I know a lot of people that use them for trail running and the muddier/wetter, the better, but I can't imagine that one the Camino. I'll be serving as a hospitalera in Santo Domingo de la Calzada the last half of October. I'll be wearing my VFFs while serving, so if you are walking through, stop by and say hello!

I'm not sure what the shoe guy was talking about with the feet expanding and contracting. I do know that there is a steep learning curve and break-in period with the VFFs. I wear them on day hikes and I tried them backpacking recently. I haven't tried them with a Camino weight pack yet, but I will say that my feet get very fatigued after wearing the VFFs on a 10-16 mile hike with a 35lb pack. Shorter hikes with a 5-7lb daypack, they do great. I would recommend having a backup pair of hiking shoes and alternate between the VFFs and the shoes. It will give your feet a workout and might help with fatigue in the long run.

If you're seriously worried... go see an Orthopedic specialist about what type of shoes would best serve your needs. Each person is different with different needs. And keep in mind, it's not just the shoes, or the socks... it's a combination of factors that will leave your feet blistered and your tendons stretched (that was my experience).
For me, and I learnt the hard way, boots were a definite overkill - the salamon trail shoes I bought in Leon were / are fantastic.
If I set out on another Spanish trail, and I am pretty sure I will, I will wear trail shoes, supportive hiking socks with a thin cotton sock as an inner and make sure to take regular breaks where I remove my shoes and socks to ensure they keep as dry as possible.

PS - I have no faith in compeed. Others swear by the stuff but it did absolutely nothing for my feet.
PPS - the ankle has recovered, the blisters gone and the toenails are growing back. I thought my feet were never going to be normal again, but nearly 2 months on and they're nearly there :)

thin cotton sock as an inner
Nothing will contribute more to getting blisters than cotton. Polypropylene and wool will move moisture away from your skin, but cotton will hold it there. Moisture and bad fitting footwear are the two causes of blisters. You will be glad if you avoid both.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have stumbled onto regular New Balance running shoes. NB makes them in the Xtra Wide model. I originally purchased them for just around the house but then I tried walking in them and there were no issues whats so ever. So I have used them for a month now - walking up to 15 kms using just normal sport socks and using no vasiline, no gels, no padding - not a single blister or issue.

So I think the conculusing is that everyone is different and you need to find out what works for you.

::::halleluia choruses:::::

Another one puts on the New Balance and the angels SING! :lol:

I love those New Balance SO MUCH with their BIG WIDE TOE BOX so my toesies can move without rubbing together. If you can go into their store, they have a machine you step on which measures your foot and gives you the perfect match to the perfect shoe last for your particular foot.

Tim, one thing I do with my New Balance shoes is take out the liner and put in a Motion Control liner. It has a very high instep (as do I) and it really cushions my feet against the rocks and supports my ankles and instep.

Anyway.. welcome aboard the New Balance ship!

I think the conclusion is that everyone is different and you need to find out what works for you.
I couldn't agree more!
My wife and I have opposing experiences: when I need a pair of hiking boots, I try them on in the shop (afternoons, a size which gives my feet the necessary comfortable space) and off I go for hundreds of kilometers until they are totally run down.
My wife, admittedly with apparent oddly constructed feet (?) and after x-numbers of hiking boot trials, needs paddings, strips, layers left-right-and-center, still ends up with plenty of ailings to complain about.
And note our experience: we're in for the 3rd Roncesvalles-Santiago pilgrimage in 2 weeks' time.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Today I walked 16 kms. It started raining hard after the first 45 minutes and continued for a half hour. I had a couple of motorist pull over and offer me a ride - which I declined - I just envisioned myself walking through Spain during a shower.

I was concerned about my New Balance shoes and cotton sport socks getting soaked and then blisters. The sun came back out at about the one hour and 15 minute mark and I was rain free for the rest of the walk, which took just under three hours.

I was very surprised and pleased to find out that I did not have a single blister.

I have been hesitant to buy inserts for my NB's as I have spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars, maybe even into a thousand or so, on many different hiking shoes, boots, hybrids, inserts, and every type of socks. None of them were sucessful until I stumbled onto these NB's, which were only intended to be cheap indoor shoes. This Tuesday I have an appointment to see if I should be fitted with custom orthotics.

Camino de Santiago, here I come!!!!!

Yay Tim!

I'm so glad your preparations are going well! Keep us posted. (And I want to keep hearing about your "magical shoes"!!) I gotta get me some of those! :)

L

Go Tim!!!!! 16kms is a very respectable walk. Great to hear your training is going so well. 8)
Margaret

OK, guys, I read through each and every post and I'm just as confused as when I started. Can someone clue me into the road conditions I can expect on the Camino going the entire length from SJPP to Santiago in May/June?

Also, I'd be very interested on the vetrans oppinions on whether or not running shoes will cut it?

Long story short, I'm a long distance runner who battles plantar fasccitis. I believe I have the root cause under control with a couple of good pairs of neutral running shoes (I supinate rather than over pronate). I know what works for me in running shoes, but haven't a clue with hiking shoes or boots.

Thanks much for the advice!

I would take the footwear that are the best in preventing plantar fasciitis from coming back, does not matter whether these are boots or not. I got plantar fasciitis once or twice and it was aggravated, brought on by both shoes/boots where the inner sole put pressure on the sole of my foot in the wrong place. Personally I prefer boots on stony uneven ground of which there is a fair bit, also there is a fair bit of concrete underfoot. Whatever you use, make sure you have a really thick well padded sturdy sole to deal with the largish sharp stones as well as the pounding on the concrete. Cheers, Gitti

Hi,

I started out buying Mendle leather hiking boots with memory foam. I found this was overkill, they were very heavy, so I bought a pair of Berghaus light trail boots that provide ankle support and they were very comfortable from the moment I put them on.

I've walked a few hundred miles in them and they are great. They prevent shocks through the sole and I have never had a blister. My shop allowed me to wear them around the house with a 28 day return if unsuitable. Of course you can wrap them in plastic bags if you want to try them outside.

I had brunch the other day with a 74 year old man who has walked the Camino Frances six (6) times. He just turns up in walking trainers and gets on with it. There is a lesson there for sure. I think sometimes we are guilty of paralyses by analyses.

Whatever you get I would ensure you have worn them daily for at least a month before you go, at the very minimum.

If I see a pair of boots slung into the hedge on the approach to the summit of the route Napoleon on my trek over the Pyrenees I'll know you've got it wrong. And if that happens to be on the 8th September hang about and I'll carry you down to Roncesvalles :lol:

Goood luck

Roger

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
the road conditions I can expect on the Camino
Mud
Volcanic dust (when the mud dries)
Senda - ground gravel on an improved path (suitable for wheelchair)
Pavement (lots of it)
City curbs and sidewalks
Narrow, rutted path
Angled trail
Cobble stones
Stone fields with stones the size of eggs
Boulders - wet and dry
Wet leaves
Thick acorns (fall)
Narrow rock canyons
Water crossings
Narrow paving stones in the middle of streams
Stairs
Steep inclines, up and down

CA_Pilgrim said:
OK, guys, I read through each and every post and I'm just as confused as when I started. Can someone clue me into the road conditions I can expect on the Camino going the entire length from SJPP to Santiago in May/June?

A lot depends on your personal choice on individual days, the immediate effects of the weather, with some longer term seasonal effect probably thrown in. Surfaces included mud, sand, gravel, senda, cobblestones, forestry road, grassy paths, sealed road and urban footpaths. Slopes varied, both on a large scale such as crossing the meseta or walking across the major ridgelines, as well as the small, with rutted forestry tracks presenting the danger of twisted ankle. Conditions also varied, most obviously during and shortly after rain.

I wore boots, which I think were a safer choice overall. One would need to be a bit more careful on some of the rough stretches wearing a shoe. Tread style is an issue with a running shoe, which may not have the tread pattern to give good grip off smooth surfaces like asphalt and concrete.

As an aside, I found that the Camino can only be planned in the broadest sense, but has to be experienced in what it brings each moment of the day. Unlike other journeys, which get engineered to the hour and minute, the Camino needed a much more organic approach as an undertaking.

Regards,

I am a retired US Air Force member. I had planned to wear my comfortable combat boots which have served me well, nevcer giving me any pain. I ended up going with a much lighter pair of Salamans (sp?). To each his own though. I saw one man wearing crocs for the entire trip from Roncesvalles to Santaigo de Compostela. I also saw more than a hundred pair of leather boots abandoned along the path (I took lots of photos of abandoned boots). Several people I encountered mailed their pricey boots home and purchased simple sports shoes.

There is no right or wrong answer. And blisters and foot problems are also not a black and white topic - you may get them even though you are theoretically doing everything right. (Much like stretch marks and labor pains and all things associated with childbirth - we each have our own experience and my stories may not reflect what you experience.)

I found the most challenging walking was the urban concrete. There are some terribly rocky places, steep hills, significant mud, etc, but it was the prolonged walking on concrete that seemed to undermine me.

It seems like so many people overthink the logistical details of this experience. I like the way pilgrims of old probably approached their trip - they simply took what they had and went forward.
And expected to simply deal with the consequences.

Good luck with your adventure.

"Ginn"
Peregrina Pulver/May 2009

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
falcon269 said:
the road conditions I can expect on the Camino
Mud
Volcanic dust (when the mud dries)
Senda - ground gravel on an improved path (suitable for wheelchair)
Pavement (lots of it)
City curbs and sidewalks
Narrow, rutted path
Angled trail
Cobble stones
Stone fields with stones the size of eggs
Boulders - wet and dry
Wet leaves
Thick acorns (fall)
Narrow rock canyons
Water crossings
Narrow paving stones in the middle of streams
Stairs
Steep inclines, up and down

Extremely helpful. Thank you!

dougfitz said:
CA_Pilgrim said:
As an aside, I found that the Camino can only be planned in the broadest sense, but has to be experienced in what it brings each moment of the day. Unlike other journeys, which get engineered to the hour and minute, the Camino needed a much more organic approach as an undertaking.

I'm beginning to understand this and agree. I't my nature to plan but then again, perhaps that's why the Camino is so inviting to me. Each day is so different and unpredicable.

With regard to shoes, I think from the input I've received so far, Finding a nice pair of trail shoes with good cushioning will be the best choice for me. Going to head to a sports store sometime soon to get a pair. I've got 9 months to figure this out, so I'm not in a huge rush, but want to begin the trasition from lon distance running to hiking soon.

vjpulver said:
And blisters and foot problems are also not a black and white topic - you may get them even though you are theoretically doing everything right.

One of the benefits of long distance running (in addition to cardiovascular health) is that I have a deep understanding of blisters, black toenails, tendonitis, plantar faccitits, and general sorness of the feet. Fortuanately absolutely no knee problems (knock on wood). After years of running, I think I finally have put it all together to maintain happy feet. I hope some of this transferrs to hiking and to the Camino.

Thanks for your insight!

CA_Pilgrim said:
dougfitz said:
CA_Pilgrim said:

I'm beginning to understand this and agree. I't my nature to plan but then again, perhaps that's why the Camino is so inviting to me. Each day is so different and unpredicable.

With regard to shoes, I think from the input I've received so far, Finding a nice pair of trail shoes with good cushioning will be the best choice for me. Going to head to a sports store sometime soon to get a pair. I've got 9 months to figure this out, so I'm not in a huge rush, but want to begin the trasition from lon distance running to hiking soon.

I am a pronator so have a little different problem but in general boots and trail shoes have a stiffer sole and stronger sides than running shoes so you have less problem than with running shoes. If you look at what makes your foot comfortable and prevents problems in the running shoes and apply that to your boots/trail shoes, then you should be fine. For me, that meant making sure I added a little support to my instep, but not as much as I use in running shoes. A good hiking shoe store like REI can give you good advice and find the brand that works best for you.

I have done a lot of hiking in rough North American trails but the Camino is different: generally well maintained trails and many days of walking and walking. I wore Keen hiking shoes with good "smartwool" socks from Pamplona to Santiago and then Muxia and Finisterre. Very comfortable. No blisters. I made sure to change socks at least once a day, used vaseline on my feet in the morning and night and foot powder mid day. An advantage of hiking shoes is that they are easier to take on and off, they are lighter and cooler. I hiked the French Camino in late March and April. Very hot the first week and then intermittent rain except near O'Cebreiro where it was snow and ice...still the snow and ice were not deep enough to make me regret the sturdy walking shoes. Rain did not soak in. Hiking shoes!

I put in a lot of miles over the winter in training, wearing different brands of wool socks with no issues at all. Then I had to curtail my walking because of a knee injury. But now that I am walking again and putting in the extra miles, and now that it is the heat of summer here in Southern Ontario, I am finding that my feet are getting too hot and blistering. Any ideas? I started this thread a long time ago and I am still torn between shoes or boots.

€60,-
I put in a lot of miles over the winter in training, wearing different brands of wool socks with no issues at all. Then I had to curtail my walking because of a knee injury. But now that I am walking again and putting in the extra miles, and now that it is the heat of summer here in Southern Ontario, I am finding that my feet are getting too hot and blistering. Any ideas? I started this thread a long time ago and I am still torn between shoes or boots.

I find I don't enjoy wearing wool socks. I get WAY too hot. If you must wear them, get the ones that only come to your ankle. I've started wearing REIs running socks and I really like them. But I'm also wearing trainers, not boots. :)

Well no one knows hot like you do, coming from Mexico. I am torn between my hiking boots and wearing trainers. I have bought so many shoes and boots over the past two years, trying to find what works best. I should start a used footware store. I am going to check into those socks that you recommend. There was a sock highly recommended earlier in this thread - 1000 Mile socks from England, which is kind of funny since England is Metric but call these socks 1000 Mile. They are guarenteed not to get blisters in. Had to import from England, pay lots of duty fees, and I had blisters by about the 4th wear. But I was not going to pay to ship them back to England. Thanks for your input.

Well no one knows hot like you do, coming from Mexico.

I find this ironic as I'm currently huddled in bed under my electric blanket freezing. lol I'm in the mountains and it was COLD today (meaning 50s and rainy). However, tomorrow I head to the lowlands where, yes, it'll be disgustingly hot. There I don't even wear socks, only sport sandals.

We were in the low 90's today, way up here in Canada. It made walking my 5 miles in training very hot and sweaty. But running shoes, sport socks, and no blisters! For the rest of the week, we will have our normal June temperatures of the low 80's. I am expecting that is what I will encounter on the Camino in September.

vagabondette said:

I find I don't enjoy wearing wool socks. I get WAY too hot. If you must wear them, get the ones that only come to your ankle. I've started wearing REIs running socks and I really like them. But I'm also wearing trainers, not boots. :)

Yes, getting hot in wool socks is horrible & can then lead to blisters or you not feeling too great,
I only where wool socks, & yes I can get too hot too.

It's my fault not the socks, wearing the right thickness for you & the conditions is the way to win & be ecstatically over the moon :D , I wear anything from a linner(thicknes of womens tights) to socks the are nearly 1/4" 6mm thick, & yes we need to layer our feet like we do our chests & legs.

We wore wool everywhere on our camino, no blisters anywhere :mrgreen:
ICEBREAKER, is a wonderful product...........have just bought my partner a dress for her birthday, who knows this my be my downfall :lol: :lol:

Unfortunately there is no definitive answer to the questions of shoes/boots or which socks to wear. Everyone has to find out what works for them. I'm fortunate in that I tend to be able to walk blister-free. For me, that means mid boots with lots of room in the toe box. Lightweight wool works for me but I've also walked with no problems in thinner synthetic socks.

Some people find rubbing Vaseline into the feet before walking helps prevent blisters. Others like to wear two pairs of socks. Experiment with treatments and different types of socks. When your feet feel like they're smiling, you'll know you've hit on the right combination.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sometimes i wish i was wearing lightweight trainers instead of the hiking boots that I have, but when i come across rocky uneven ground I appreciate the ankle support provided by the boot.

On the Camino beginning from SJPP, what would the percentage of uneven rough ground be compared to what could be considered nice trails. This could go a long way in determining running shoes or hiking boots. If the percentage of rough trail is 5%, then maybe running shoes makes more sense???

On the Camino beginning from SJPP, what would the percentage of uneven rough ground be compared to what could be considered nice trails.
I don't think I could be that exact.

Looking back, there were probably four or five days which contained stretches of rough path where good hiking boots were a distinct advantage. I prefer walking in hiking boots, but would also suggest that none of these stretches demanded them.

One would have had to be much more careful if one was wearing trekking shoes or trainers, but that wouldn't be enough to be a compelling argument for boots.

Regards,

If you don't have weak ankles, wear what you are comfortable with and have had no problems with.
I wore my 5 year old worn boots and wished I hadn't. After the first few days the rains stopped and the route (Primitivo included) did not warrant mountain boots. Maybe your weather may not be so genteel, but there is little tricky walking to warrant proper ankle supportive boots for the average person.
I saw people in sandals and trainers, trail shoes and fell running shoes, walking shoes and boots.
The main thing is get your shoes, socks and feet regime tested and sorted. Nothing new. Then you may reduce the incidence of foot problems.
And don't forget, look after the feet, wash your socks when you arrive (spare dried/drying pair for tomorrow all sorted) and use anything else you know that protects against further blistering or rubbing whilst you carry Compeed.
Enjoy, you will, but be prepared. Buon Camino!

I've been obsessing over boots as I prepare for my camino. I've gone from some Keens (which felt like too much boot) to the Salomon Fastpacker (which felt too narrow on my right foot and I was also concerned about whether it would hold up over five or six weeks) and finally to some Asolo Moran GTX's that I picked up Saturday. The latter seems to be a great boot. I like the ankle support and the boots are lightweight, though not as light as the Fastpackers. The pair weighs less than 3 pounds. Now on to a serious job of breaking them in. I wore them about three miles yesterday. I hope to double that today.

My boot saga continues. I've been breaking in Asolos with copper Superfeet, and I haven't had any problems. The boots feel good as long as I have the laces adjusted properly. However, being a little bit nervous about this, I've also picked up a pair of Oboz Sawtooth Mids to break in (using the same inserts). Whichever pair feels the most comfortable on 22 August goes to Europe with me.

Bolden,,,,,,Have you tried on any Merrell's boots?

I bought some Merrell Moabs to start training for my Camino and I love them. Comfortable right out of the box and no complaints after about 150 miles so far.

caminobull said:

I bought some Merrell Moabs to start training for my Camino and I love them. Comfortable right out of the box and no complaints after about 150 miles so far.
That would be the fifth pair! I'd have to sell my boot collection to afford the trip:)

caminobull said:

I did. Loved the breathability but the position of the arch felt wrong. I moved on to something else.

I've returned the Keens and Salomons thanks to REI's generous return policy. I felt good about the Oboz after walking 10K tonight. I've walked the same distance in the Asolos and they felt okay, too, but the Oboz have a slight edge. I plan to keep both of these pair. :D

I also tried some of the Injinji toe liner socks during tonight's walk. They are a bit of a pain to put on and take off, but I like the way they feel in general. I am worried about how they may hold up over time with pulling each toe on and off. I have ample time to assess, though, and can go back to Smartwool if need be.

I wore a pair of Asolo (TPS 535) all leather boots on St Olav's Way over the last month. I had minimal time to wear them in beforehand, but they were a good boot for the conditions that I faced in Norway. These are far more extreme than anything that the Camino ever offered. While I prefer a boot for long distance trekking, I don't think there is a compelling argument for them on Camino Frances.

I also did a preventative taping of the toe that blisters consistently, and the adjacent toe, using Fixomull stretch tape. I replaced this every few days. I haven't tried products like the Injinji liner socks, but I find that a preventative taping works quite well, and I didn't blister.

Good luck with your search, REI clearly have a more generous return policy than I am used to at home in Australia.

Regards,

I wore Injinji toe socks for five weeks and they were still in one piece when I arrived home. They were great, and I did not get one blister.
I am planning on walking again next year and will take the same socks, with probably one new pair in case the originals don't last a second walk. I also wore them in the evenings inside my soft night time shoes (a pair of Mary Jane style Merrell barefoot shoes).

dougfitz said:
REI clearly have a more generous return policy than I am used to at home in Australia.

At REI, you can return a product at any time for any reason, no questions asked and you get a full refund/credit. For example, in 1998 I purchased a pair of hiking boots to hike Havasupai. Over the following 10 years, I hiked thousands of miles in over a dozen countries in those boots. In 2008 I took them back to REI to be resoled. The customer service guy said he didn't think they could be resoled and asked me to hold on. 5 minutes later I was holding an in-store credit for $160 USD - the original purchase price of the boots. I was pretty shocked. I didn't want or expect a refund. I'd more than gotten my money's worth and had he said "they can't be resoled" I'd have been bummed ('cause I loved the boots - I still miss them) but I'd have just gone and purchased another pair. On top of the return policy, they give members 10% back on full-price purchases once a year as an in-store credit. I think there is only 2-3 pieces of outdoor gear that I've purchased in the last 15 years or so that wasn't from REI.

This is why you'll see most people from the US recommending REI. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
vagabondette said:
At REI, you can return a product at any time for any reason, no questions asked and you get a full refund/credit. ...

REI definitely rocks. And they have some of the most knowledgeable sales people around. They sometimes don't understand that the Camino doesn't require some of the full-on backpacking equipment they are used to supplying but they have been unfailingly helpful (and patient!) in assisting me with my preparations.

And Carol, thanks for the reassurance on the toe socks. I'm going to continue to use them on my walks at home.

BoldenMD said:
They sometimes don't understand that the Camino doesn't require some of the full-on backpacking equipment they are used to supplying

Yes, I've re-educated more than one sales person in more than one REI store since I started gathering gear for the camino.

I have been to REI about 10 time since I bought my airline ticket back in April. I think they are great. However, the one area they fall short is with the notion of a light pack. They don't carry (at least in the stores here in the San Francisco Bay Area) an ultra-light sleeping bag or backpack and all the sales people balk-- as do most other "seasoned" backpackers at the notion of carrying only 10% of your weight. I finally ordered a backpack online and am about to do the same for a sleeping bag. I ran into a young man recently who was in the last 3rd of the Pacific Crest Trail (2600 miles, Mexico border to Canadian Border-- it follows the a major mountain ranges north to south) His pack weighs 6 lbs without food. He wears Inov8 shoes (a training-type shoe which lasts for 600 miles (he has new pairs mailed to him along the way) and has a sleeping quilt from Katabatik, just over a pound. Unfortunately, the Katabatic ain't cheap.

If the REI in-store stock does not meet your needs, try online (REI, SummitHut, , Altrec or Backpacker.com).

I have the Osprey Exos 46, which was the lightest decent sized framed lightweight pack they had, and it was super on this year's walk.

Also there are very lightweight bags and liners on REI's site.

Don't be dissuaded by store staff that can only envision backpacking in the Sierras.

I've found the best way to bring folks at REI or North Face quickly up to speed was to tell them, "it's not so much that I'm going on a 30-day hike; I'm going on 30 consecutive day hikes." :D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have read every entry, start to finish, and after hearing that Tim (Canadian) is back to square one, I'm thoroughly confused. Like Ginn (New Mexico), I had thought about using my combat boots and am also swayed by her logic to do as the pilgrims of old did and go with what you got, so I think I will - I'll take my not-very-old combat boots and my not-very-old walking shoes out on several training hikes and see how it goes. Lord knows, I've got plenty of time before 2014!

I've enjoyed the entire conversation chain.
Thanks to all,

Another Tim

Hi Another Tim. You can't have too many Tim's. Proud to have you aboard the forum. What I have found out after about 2 and a half years of research, both by asking questions and by trial and error, and believe me, lots of error - is that you have to determine what is best for you. My most expensive pair of hiking shoes, and my most expensive running shoes - have been total flops. The one shoe that has never caused a blister is a cheap running shoe. Lately I have gone back to wearing my hiking boots - which were the second pair of footwear I purchased for the Camino - many hundreds and hundreds of dollars ago. I was thinking of putting a thread on my blog showing pictures of all of the different footwear I have bought so far for the camino. Some people who have walked the camino 4 or 5 times, have only ever wore running shoes - and even now are wearing sandles. Whereas others swear by boots. You have lots of time before 2014 to experiment and to find out what works best for you. Once you find the perfect shoe or boot, you can begin to trying to figure out - what socks work best - lol :lol:

Tim
http://timscamino.blogspot.ca/

Having no experience yet on the camino I can give you some insight on hiking/trekking in general: it really all comes down to the type of terrain and weather you're going to be walking in, the difference on the Camino is that most people are walking 30 + days straight which is unusual for most trekkers.
First off, there are people who will do fine with running sneakers but I do not think it's approppriate nor safe for off road hiking specially with up/down hills so I will not include them here. Now, since the weather and terrain can vary immensly you have to be ready for all. With the expeption of a few $600+ Alpine boots, no hiking footwear is really waterproof, most are barely water repellent so since is very likely it will rain during your camino (some times more than others) "waterproof" shoes are essential. Full leather are the best but not suited to the long, extended and warm walk which is what most people do. So then you should look into "breathable" waterproof shoes (the ones with mesh patches) which will provided enough air to cool your feet, some protection during the more or less occasional rain and quick drying when wet.
For long distance walking lighter is a rule of thumb so eventhough a pair of light mid cut boots still weight around 2lbs (sz.10.5US) they still my footwear of choice. Most of the reputable brands will also make a low cut version which would be my next choice but for my first trip (Oct/Nov) I would feel better taking the mid cut ones for ankle support specially if you're not used to walking on uneven terrain. Vibram makes one of the lightest, softer (not as durable), grippiest soles on the market and all good brands out there are picking up on it. I would look into HiTec,Merrell, Vasque, Keen, North Face and so on...
When it comes to blisters it doesn't matter what anyone tells you there's no fail proof method. It can be attributed to your shoes, feet shape, socks, lacing pattern, humidity conditions and so on. The only certain method is to address it before it happens, as soon as you feel a hotspot, stop and treat it. I do about 15-18miles weekly, mostly on my Merrell's Trail Glove barefoot shoes and sometimes I get blisters and sometimes I dont, the difference is that at home you have time to heal them. Good luck!

A really helpful post, thanks SkyWalker.
We have just invested in new mid cut boots for ankle support. Up to now we have had Hi-Tec but this year their sizes seem to have changed. We could not get our normal sizes on and the next size is way to big, no half sizes. We are glad we went into town and didn't make a 'repeat' order over the internet.
So we have bought GriSport, an Italian make with half sizings. I found the men's fitted me better than the ladies, partly because it had a softer tongue. So far we have only tried them on in the shop with our 'proper' socks and on their walkway. We'll post again when we have tried them on a walk. Then they are going into storage for a few months. No point in wearing their soles out winter road walking.

I'm glad I can help; hi-tec makes excellent footwear but you made the right choice by getting a proper size. With hiking boots is always wise to go a 1/2 size up but never a whole one. Keep us up to date!

Tim - I hope you are fine - you camino is about to start next weekend?
Whatever - take it easy and keep us updated!

Buen camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
HI Annie - thank you for the kind words. My knee has be really acting up - the one I injured in February and I realized two weeks ago that I would not be able to walk the Camino. I have walked just under 1600 kms since January in my training. So I started riding my bike after finding an awesome company that rents bikes and delivers them to where ever you chose to start, and picks them up where ever you decide to end (for most, Sanitago). But after two weeks practicing on my bike at home, I realized that too little too late for the bike. So as of this past Thursday, I had to pull the plug on the trip. I was very sad as I have worked towards this for the past two years. My friend Bob flew out of Toronto heading to the Camino yesterday, and my friend Arlene arrives in SJPP next Sunday. I am left behind :( In fact, I just fired up the computer because I need to cancel my bed in Orrison. Once again, thanks for the kind words. Check out my latest, and maybe last update on my blog at http:\\timscamino.blogspot.com

Hey Doug

Thanks for the kind words. I am glad that the knee gave out now rather than after a day or two over there. I know I made the right decision because today it bothered me all day and actually gave out twice. Imay be heading for a replacement. The Camino has been there for 1100 years - it will wait for me. Now I will have more time to figure out hiking shoes or hiking boots :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oh I am so sorry for you Tim. Your Original post has generated so much useful comment and for you not to benefit from it is such a pity. But thank you so much for the advice that you have caused to be generated. I am a first timer going on the Ingles starting from Ferrol next Friday. I know that it is a lot shorter and I am going to take 6 days so as not to overstretch myself by doing the 32K stage in one day as it has a lot on hill in it. However thank you all for the advice. At the end of June I decided that I would like to walk the Frances when I am 65 (2 years time), but needed to see if I was up to it (I have not exercised for 10 years). I, like many others found and absorbed this forum's threads.
I finally decided on hiking boots. I am in England and went to "Cotswold" store. They were very helpful and I ended up with Lowa Renegade GTX Mid (all Terrain). Gortex with Vibram sole.
During the last 7 weeks I have walked 20k-30K 3 times a week and covered nearly 400K. The last few weeks I have been carrying a full pack (4.5 kilos plus Water (3 kilos). I wear a Bridgedale Coolmax liner sock and a Smartwool Merino outer sock. I have not had a blister, lucky me :) So I can only say that it looks like I have found what suits me. Incidentally there is a small hole in the one boot at ankle level where something has pierced it while I was walking. I don't know what it was and was unaware of it happening. But if I had been wearing shoes?
Buen Camino todos
allan

Allan,

It sounds like you have done all of your homework and are ready to go. Good luck - I know that you will be fine

Tim

€83,-
Oh Tim, thwarted again, that's rotten luck. Keep at it, letting your knee heel first, of course and you will get there eventually, maybe to cycle rather than walk a camino, and it will be worth the wait. You'll be an expert on boots and shoes!
Meanwhile enjoy the camino of life at home. :arrow: Stay well. Carole

Hi Tim, as I get ready for my first trip I've realized we start our Camino way before we grab our walking sticks and put our boots on (or shoes :0). You are on your way, stay healty and get well! Im new on this forum but genuinely feel the comradery so rest assure we're all wishing you well.

Tia Valeria said:
We have just invested in new mid cut boots for ankle support. Up to now we have had Hi-Tec but this year their sizes seem to have changed. ............
So we have bought GriSport, an Italian make with half sizings. I found the men's fitted me better than the ladies, partly because it had a softer tongue. So far we have only tried them on in the shop with our 'proper' socks and on their walkway. We'll post again when we have tried them on a walk. Then they are going into storage for a few months. No point in wearing their soles out winter road walking.
We have both now walked with our new boots, with our favourite x3 sock system (thin liner, middle weight and cushion sole) and full packs - just to give a fair trial. We are both very happy. The boots fit well, the 'lock' system for lacing works and has even converted me to round laces!! As far as walking is concerned they are good. Next Spring we will wear them in but for now they are going into storage as we don't want to wear them road walking, which is what we are having to do at present due to the weather :cry: and will do for much of the winter.

The technical info about these boots can be found here http://www.grisport.co.uk/walking-boots/gri-sports-technical-information.html Our boots are the Backpacking Quatro style http://www.grisport.co.uk/walking-boots/quatro-gri-sports.html

I like the fact that it is possible to buy new insoles as that is where my Hi-Tec boots have 'gone'. (We are going to see if there is something similar to fit them to extend their life for local walking.)

This really is not the correct thread for this, but because there were a lot of comments about the cancellation of my camino, I wanted to update what is going on.

I'm in! :D

Leaving Toronto on September 9th and arriving in Madrid on September 10th. Will somehow make my way to Leon where I will cool my heels for two days. Will begin my camino on September 12th and plan on arriving in Santiago on September 29th where I will spend two days. Flying back to Canada on October 1st :shock:

p.s. I still have not decided what to wear on my feet. Thinking of taking my hiking boot and a pair of running shoes. Will have to see how much the pack weighs first :D

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.