• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking Shoes

Sara Jane Walsh

Time of past OR future Camino
September (2015)
I have shopped TOO much for hiking shoes and I can not find anything that is comfortable. Can I go with a running shoe? Please recommend all my alternatives for a comfortable hike.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I have shopped TOO much for hiking shoes and I can not find anything that is comfortable. Can I go with a running shoe? Please recommend all my alternatives for a comfortable hike.
Try vasque hiking shoes they break in very quickly

I am doing the Camino in Asics running shows. Starting May 15th. :D I think the best thing to do is go with what your feet are comfotable with. Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Have you tried the Merrell Moab ventilator. It is comfortable like a sneaker with good outsole/support for trails. A mid cut with gtx model will give good water resistance, if you prefer. If you are used to walking with runners and don't mind wet feet, yes you can walk with trail runners.

I have shopped TOO much for hiking shoes and I can not find anything that is comfortable.

Is there a general reason why all the types you've tried are not comfortable, or is it a variety of reasons? There is a huge choice out there, and a bit more info on the actual problem would help in narrowing the field. For example, are you trying to buy the same size as your normal shoe size? Is there too much padding and not enough support, or vice versa?

Whatever the issue, I'll bet there is someone on here who can help! :)

Have you tried the Salomon XA PRO 3D W? It's a trail running shoe. It gives my feet better support than my regular running shoes.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I wear running shoes. Six caminos in Asics, this year in New Balance. They work for me.

I walked the Camino Frances in trainers; Nike Pegasus. I then did the GR20 in New Balance 980 Trails. If you don't have problems with weak ankles you'll be fine in trainers.

Hi Sara Jane
Last September I walked from St Jean to Burgos wearing merrell Moab ventilator gortex mid boots, big mistake, lots of blisters,
I would suggest you keep away from gortex boots, I intend to finish my camino this September wearing Merrell Moab ventilator shoes non gortex.
Unfortunately Merrell do not sell non gortex ventilators mid boots in the UK, any Pilgrims in the US know of where I can source the non gortex boots please let me know.
Sorry I cannot help with what to wear, but being negative what not to wear.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Sara Jane
Last September I walked from St Jean to Burgos wearing merrell Moab ventilator gortex mid boots, big mistake, lots of blisters,
I would suggest you keep away from gortex boots

Interesting decision whether to go for Goretex or other waterproof lined boots or non-lined boots. Obviously, waterproof is a boon for some (and I'd include myself in that - one of my most uncomfortable days walking came about after wet feet) but in some cases, the lower breathability of lined boots can also lead to blisters/discomfort.

I guess it is a decision for each of us to make individually, but it just shows one of the reasons why making footwear recommendations can only be that - a recommendation, not an endorsement! :D

I too opted for New Balance 959 shoes thanks to Forum recommendations for my Caminho Portugese (I fly to Porto tomorrow and start on Thursday). My dilemma is this: the weather forecast for the Porto/Vigo area for the first four days (at least) is for heavy rain and, reading a recent advice to Albertinho to "bring boots", I wonder if the NB shoes will be adequate. Last minute decision I know but wet feet (over and above the usual showery conditions) doesn't appeal. Not really prepared for the walk ( minor illness this week has limited my preparation) so sodden feet would not improve the situation. But last-minute purchase brings another element of uncertainty. Hmmm?

Last edited by a moderator:
I too opted for New Balance 959 shoes thanks to Forum recommendations for my Caminho Portugese (I fly to Porto tomorrow and start on Thursday). My dilemma is this: the weather forecast for the Porto/Vigo area for the first four days (at least) is for heavy rain and, reading a recent advice to Albertinho to "bring boots", I wonder if the NB shoes will be adequate. Last minute decision I know but wet feet (over and above the usual showery conditions) doesn't appeal. Not really prepared for the walk ( minor illness this week has limited my preparation) so sodden feet would not improve the situation. But last-minute purchase brings another element of uncertainty. Hmmm?
How did you get on? Hope your Camino was amazing...but we're the NB shoes ok in the rain?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
How did you get on? Hope your Camino was amazing...but we're the NB shoes ok in the rain?

In the end, the forecast intimidated me and I went out on the morning of departure (no time to 'break in'!) and bought a pair of relatively inexpensive 'waterproof boots' (and I knew my Berhaus Goretex Boots would have been too much when the sun came and out and the heat increased) - bad decision! Although they were quite comfortable They were not 'waterproof' and from day 2 for two-and a half days (until I reached Baiona) I had permanently sodden socks and boots because of the incessant rain - but no blisters! [I usually managed to dry the boots every evening but they were soon wet through early the next day]. I don't think 'Waterproofing Spray' would have improved the situation nor that the NB shoes would have fared any better in that very wet situation. Albertinho was elsewhere on the Caminho at the time and commented on the weather between 30/4 and 3/5. But I stuck it out and from Nigran to Redondela and thence to Santiago it remained dry and, mostly, sunny and I reached Santiago and achieved my goal on 13th May very relieved and fulfilled.

I have 3 pairs of shoes I walk in. Some brooks ghosts, the most comfortable trainers I have ever worn. Walked some long distances I them in England and run in them also. They are a trainer, but I do walk in British summer with them on.

Adidas Kandia trails. I walk in the lake district in the autum/spring sometimes winter in these and fell run. I only ever wished once for boots when walking and that was when it was snowing and my feet went into a bog and came out covered in ice. I also walked Wainwrights coast to coast in these. I was sick of wet feet by the end, however my feet get so hot and sweaty if I wear my boots my feet are hot and wet and that's when I get blisters. should of brought a second pair of footwear though

Leather hi-tec boots, love these and walk with crampons on them in the winter. or if I know its going to be wet continuously.

All in all, look at the conditions, what's comfortable, for me I prefer a comfortable trainer, but my partner gets cold easily and prefers boots.

The only advice I would really give is go for a trainer without gor-tex or equivalent. From my experience if water goes in, over the top it doesn't come out. They take a longer time to dry, are hotter and therefore this leads to sweating, and once scuffed fail to be waterproof.

comfort is the key, a shoe/trainer that you know, fits and can walk in is more important than any technical aspect.

Its difficult buying footwear as you only really know how they will serve once you have walked in them for a while. By that time its to late to send them back

Yes!
I only wear New Balance trail shoes on the Camino.
Unless you are used to wearing boots or have weak ankles, they aren't necessary.
The Camino is more a long-distance walk - not a mountain hike.
There are a few steep,rocky places, but a good walking stick and paying attention will get you through those with no problems.
Find some shoes that FIT (and I always suggest a pair that are 1 to 1.5 sizes larger than you normally wear) and enjoy the trek!
I did get my chops busted a month or so ago by someone who bought their shoes larger, then had problems, but in GENERAL, people's feet DO swell, especially in the hotter weather, and you can make up the space by wearing a pair of thick socks.
On the other hand, if they're too tight, there's not much you can do.
I usually wear a size 6 and I always buy a size 7.5 for the Camino.
New Balance shoes ROCK.
I like the 1540's - with rollbar.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
New Balance 990's! Totally comfortable right out of the box. Search the threads and you'll find most folks that get blisters are wearing hiking boots. For wet weather, bring duct tape and seal them. Far more comfortable that hiking boots - though 1.5 sizes bigger must be based on brand and model, not a rule of thumb. Example: in Vasque boots I wear a 9.5. In New Balance 990 I wear an 8.5. In NB 1540's I wear a 9.0. Go to a store, get sized in a particular shore and up-size from there.

Last edited:
Search the threads and you'll find most folks that get blisters are wearing hiking boots.
It's always interesting how those who prefer shoes only ever find the horror stories about boots, and vice versa. Any footwear can cause blister problems - shoes and boots alike.

There is plenty of good advice on this forum about how to get footwear properly fitted. Just buying a size or so larger is a last resort if you cannot get to an outfitter that can do the job properly.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

As many other said, yes, you can.
I did mine with a pair of old Mizunos. Perfect, comfortable, well ventilated.
Wear something that you don't remember you are wearing and you will be fine.

The Camino is more a long-distance walk - not a mountain hike.
There are a few steep,rocky places, but a good walking stick and paying attention will get you through those with no problems.

Well said. Of course people should think about preparing for the Camino, but not overthink.
(i.e. I did not use walking sticks because I'm not used to them - I feel like an octopus with too many limbs. So, why bother? Some people love them, I was fine without.)

I say go walk 6-8 miles with something comfortable and then go get professionally fitted when your feet are swelled up with the socks of your choice.
New Balance 1540 with green superfeet insoles is what I used on my first Camino, they were toast by León.
I'm now using New Balance 790v2 trail runners with SOLE insoles, (heat them in the oven to form to your feet) and like these better, more durable than the 1540.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.