Search 60,048 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Hiking skirts ... For men

Book your Bus ticket here

Past OR future Camino
Camino - Sarria
Reading a blog recently - one of the hikers was talking about his use of mens hiking skirts. When he listed the advantages they seemed really interesting.

I wonder if any men on the forum have used these (and I am conscious that a Kilt may fall into the category)

With a SJPP start next week and the talk of 35 degrees heatwave - the idea seems attractive and somewhat cooler when walking...

Cheers

Mick

Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
Camino Creative Credencial Workshop
A two-part workshop that guides you into creating a credencial and shares it online
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Past OR future Camino
Us:Camino Frances, 2015 Me:Catalan/Aragonese, 2019
I wonder if any men on the forum have used [hiking skirts] (and I am conscious that a Kilt may fall into the category)

Yes, I have. I've only hiked in it once so far but it's not going to be the last time. I liked it. I'm going to get used to it in the mountains before wearing it on the more public local hikes.

I got tired of chafing and looked online for something. On a trip to the South last month I was passing within a few miles of the factory that made my #1 pick. I stopped, tried it out and it suited me fine. The belt loops, front fly and cargo pockets give it a somewhat masculine look. Since I never got instruction when young on the proper way to sit in the things I went with the optional snaps to effectively turn the skirt into something that looks like a baggy pair of shorts. The pockets are huge, my smartphone with a heavy case can fit sideways in four of the six pockets with plenty of room for a ton of other things.

Here's the webpage for the Lightheart Gear skirt I picked (the gray one). There is a video there geared to women but it shows a guy hiking in one as well. Of the nine reviews four are by guys and they all rate the skirt as 5/5.

RJM

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Camino's Frances, Fisterre, Portuges. Over 180 day
I would, but it would definitely have to be a kilt type, with the kilt type pattern and useful pockets. As far as going commando? Hmmm, too many really good brands of breathable hiking skivvies out there, and I'd feel a bit vulnerable :D

Richard of York

Past OR future Camino
I would, but it would definitely have to be a kilt type, with the kilt type pattern and useful pockets. As far as going commando? Hmmm, too many really good brands of breathable hiking skivvies out there, and I'd feel a bit vulnerable :D
That's another reason for not wearing a kilt, because you don't wear anything underneath. When I walk I wear running shorts and mine are basically leggings with football shorts over the top. If I spend time nude (which I do sometimes) I chafe, and I can't imagine walking 15 miles or more with my legs apart. Probably more than most people want to visualise :)

J F Gregory

Camino Frances April 2023
Past OR future Camino
Frances 2016, Portuguese 2021, Frances 2 2023
I have my kilt here in Spain (I'm part Scottish) but it's like wearing a heavy woollen overcoat around your waist so I won't be wearing it to walk in anything over 20º. Which isn't going to happen often.
I have both wool and polyester kilts. For hiking I use the polyester light weight and quick drying. My other kilts are for regular wear.

Camino Creative Credencial Workshop
A two-part workshop that guides you into creating a credencial and shares it online
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Past OR future Camino
2002, Toulouse/Aragon 2005, Cami S Jaume/Aragon 2007/9, Mont Saint Michel/Norte/Vadiniense 2011, Norte/Primitivo 2013, Norte/Primitivo 2014. Norte 2015, Cami S Jaume/Castellano-Aragonese 2016
That's another reason for not wearing a kilt, because you don't wear anything underneath. When I walk I wear running shorts and mine are basically leggings with football shorts over the top. If I spend time nude (which I do sometimes) I chafe, and I can't imagine walking 15 miles or more with my legs apart. Probably more than most people want to visualise :)
Canada's bracing weather has long made this an optional practice. I have friends in kilted regiments who assure me that spandex has saved them from frostbite many a time and oft; avoiding chafing would to me sound like a reasonable excuse to modify traditional practice.

traveler

Walking is the answer
Past OR future Camino
s2015 & 2016, w 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2021
I have often worn kilts and skirts (more often skirts because they are lighter to carry) hiking in various places across the world for about 15 years with little comment or problem. Once I overcame the mental barrier to wearing them (which took about 6 months) and embraced them not as women’s clothes but my clothes, it was easy. Skirts are comfortable and light, easier to wash, and last longer than pants. And I have traveled without a pair of pants in my pack. On pilgrimage I also like that a skirt makes a small statement that I’m different.

Wearing a kilt will not create any problems, particularly in Galicia. That said, in my experience society regards skirts as different than kilts. In today’s divided culture a man wearing a skirt can seem like a political statement to some and I have been confronted unpleasantly more often in the past year or two than in the past when I was rarely confronted except by the politely curious. Because of this wearing a skirt on the Frances during the summer rush of peregrinos will likely cause no problem. In contrast, a man wearing a skirt on less traveled routes ”off-season” may encounter some unpleasant (but probably not threatening) responses. As a result you may want to carry a pair of pants as a backup. I have always traveled the Camino as a pilgrimage and as such the goodwill and help of others is always essential and focusing on my inner life not outer conflicts is a part of that.

Last edited:

Sanman

Walk for Nature
Past OR future Camino
Via Pondiensa, Francis, Portugal, West Highland W,
Reading a blog recently - one of the hikers was talking about his use of mens hiking skirts. When he listed the advantages they seemed really interesting.

I wonder if any men on the forum have used these (and I am conscious that a Kilt may fall into the category)

With a SJPP start next week and the talk of 35 degrees heatwave - the idea seems attractive and somewhat cooler when walking...

Cheers

Mick

We are walking Le Puys now, 32-33 temps crazy!

My wife has been trying to stay cool and cover her legs, sun relentless out here.

She developed heat rash as did many hikers..
Today we discussed skirts, kilts, saris whatever and thought the idea was brilliant

When she gets home my wife is going to make one or buy one but either way we’re going to be getting them

Right now as we melt, to hell with convention and on the Camino you see it all…oh and we walk with sun umbrellas and we are the talk of the trail ! People take our pics

All this to say - get a skirt!

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Camino Magnets
Past OR future Camino
Future Camino Frances (2022)
There is a Czech currently walking the Frances in a kilt. He wears 6-8” Lycra underwear underneath it. He seems very happy with the combination.

Alfredo2021

Past OR future Camino

Cheers

Mick

I wore rain hiking skirt instead of rain pants once and almost got hyperthermia. I won't try that again.

Past OR future Camino
Camino - Sarria
I have often worn kilts and skirts (more often skirts because they are lighter to carry) hiking in various places across the world for about 15 years with little comment or problem. Once I overcame the mental barrier to wearing them (which took about 6 months) and embraced them not as women’s clothes but my clothes, it was easy. Skirts are comfortable and light, easier to wash, and last longer than pants. And I have traveled without a pair of pants in my pack. On pilgrimage I also like a skirt makes a small statement that I’m different.

Wearing a kilt will not create any problems, particularly in Galicia. That said, in my experience society regards skirts as different than kilts. In today’s divided culture a man wearing a skirt can seem like a political statement to some and I have been confronted unpleasantly more often in the past year or two than in the past when I was rarely confronted except by the politely curious. Because of this wearing a skirt on the Frances during the summer rush of peregrinos will likely cause no problem. In contrast, a man wearing a skirt on less traveled routes ”off-season” may encounter some unpleasant (but probably not threatening) responses. As a result you may want to carry a pair of pants as a backup. I have always traveled the Camino as a pilgrimage and as such the goodwill and help of others is always essential and focusing on my inner life not outer conflicts is a part of that.
thanks a lot for that. mick

Balanced Movements

Past OR future Camino
Norte/Lebaniego 2021
Macabi Skirt
This might be what you're looking for. In September I walked from Irún to Llanes cut through the the Picos on the Lebaniego to León and then to Santiago. 90% of my walk was in this Macabi Skirt. Hopefully when I go back to walk the Camino Primitivo I might bring a pair of shorts. This thing takes the place of all for me, even plane trip to and from.
C3C9251E-B3AB-4C6F-A0FF-394B20CBF0ED.jpeg

traveler

Walking is the answer
Past OR future Camino
s2015 & 2016, w 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2021
Macabi Skirt
This might be what you're looking for. In September I walked from Irún to Llanes cut through the the Picos on the Lebaniego to León and then to Santiago. 90% of my walk was in this Macabi Skirt. Hopefully when I go back to walk the Camino Primitivo I might bring a pair of shorts. This thing takes the place of all for me, even plane trip to and from.
View attachment 125902
Yes - I love Macabi skirts

Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Camino Magnets

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 105 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances