• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking Skirts

• Thread starter Deleted member 67185
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67185

The link below might be of interest for those thinking of hiking skirts (I am staying gender neutral, here 🆒 )

I'm sure that this isn't a complete list, nor actually the best of the best; for instance the most talked about favorite on this Forum is AWOL. But, it may add to the knowledge base of what's available.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I love my Purple Rain skirt. It’s all I wore on my Camino and will wear again in April. No leggings for me, though. Cute short skirt with nice sized pockets and a yoga waistband. I even have a rain skirt to wear over it. Which I only used once for a couple hours. Easier to just get wet since the skirt doesn’t absorb water much, and dries fast.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The link below might be of interest for those thinking of hiking skirts (I am staying gender neutral, here 🆒 )
I'm sure that this isn't a complete list, nor actually the best of the best; for instance the most talked about favorite on this Forum is AWOL. But, it may add to the knowledge base of what's available.

Thanks Dave for sharing this. Another Purple Rain fan here!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for sharing, Dave. The blurbs here are accessible and informative, and I'm definitely intrigued by Purple Rain now.
The things I really like about Purple rain is that the skirt isn't frumpy looking. Depending on you height, it will be brushing your knees or just above them, very comfortable. I sat on the ground everyday and it never got dirty. Never. The rain just beads and fall off the skirt, so it never got soaked. The pockets are long enough to fit my leather covered passport in a Ziploc bag (when I took it out of my pack and left the pack sitting somewhere) and the other fits my iPhone X Max with Otterbox. I don't even feel them when I walk. Function and cuteness all in one package. Plus they are made in Oregon by a lady thru hiker who got tired of wearing hiking pants. Sizes are true to the chart, too.

The only thing I can think of is that they were looking at skirts under a pound. How much does the average Macabi skirt weigh?
Quite heavy, actually. Just under 300g. Still my favourite, though 😎 NOT fashionable nor flattering but oh so wonderful to walk in.
Note the kamikaze cyclist behind me, who suddenly appeared from nowhere! 😳😁

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
That's well under a pound at 10.5 ounces, so that doesn't explain it being left off the list.
I think it’s because it doesn’t look cool 😀
To be perfectly honest, I only bought one because I had to walk through mainland Turkey, maybe Lebanon etc and I wanted to look unconspicuous. Would never have thought of it otherwise!

Quite heavy, actually. Just under 300g. Still my favourite, though 😎 NOT fashionable nor flattering but oh so wonderful to walk in.
Note the kamikaze cyclist behind me, who suddenly appeared from nowhere! 😳😁
View attachment 52055
You can also get a knee length one which I've worn extensively when travelling . https://www.macabiskirt.com/macabi-knee-length-skirt

Probably not in the article because they don't pay a commission

The thing about Macabi is the pockets - the purple rain ones look OK _ but they don't appear to be secure? Macabi has a zipped interior pocket which (from experience) wlll hold 2 passports plus a wad of cash and you can sleep in it without worrying about. it Plus I could fit 2 phones in the other pockets. (MY partner got ill so I was sleeping at the hospital and carrying all his valuables as well as mine) Plus with that amount of weight you need to have a secure waist band (I had a belt plus there is a drawstring inside) - stretchy drop waist won't cut it.

The only debate I have with the caminio - is whether I'll wear the shorter one or the longer one - the longer one is excellent sun protection - the shorter one looks better

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Calzadilla 2017 in my Purple Rain skirt! I can’t say enough about how well this skirt worked for me > big, secure pockets, yoga style waist band, and it made the frequent nature pee less awkward than my shorts did. I plan to bring two on my next Camino and skip the shorts altogether.52063

The things I really like about Purple rain is that the skirt isn't frumpy looking. Depending on you height, it will be brushing your knees or just above them, very comfortable. I sat on the ground everyday and it never got dirty. Never. The rain just beads and fall off the skirt, so it never got soaked. The pockets are long enough to fit my leather covered passport in a Ziploc bag (when I took it out of my pack and left the pack sitting somewhere) and the other fits my iPhone X Max with Otterbox. I don't even feel them when I walk. Function and cuteness all in one package. Plus they are made in Oregon by a lady thru hiker who got tired of wearing hiking pants. Sizes are true to the chart, too.

I'd never heard of Purple Rain before yesterday and now I totally want one! These are all considerations I have when looking at gear. Thanks for the info.

Skirt-wearers...do you not worry about thigh chafing? I know I do! It’s the one thing that stops me from getting a hiking skirt (otherwise I’d be all over them like a rash - no pun intended) ;)

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Skirt-wearers...do you not worry about thigh chafing? I know I do! It’s the one thing that stops me from getting a hiking skirt (otherwise I’d be all over them like a rash - no pun intended) ;)
No not really, as for any gear try it at home first. I used to get a bit of chaffing it hot climates, but deoderant helps, and since I lost some weight and toned my legs it’s no longer an issue.

You can wear men's ExOfficio boxerbriefs (they don't make the women's version anymore). They come down to just above mid-thigh or so and are breathable, light, and dry fast.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The whole point of wearing a macabi (for me) is that it is long! Protects my legs from the sun, insects and on difficult terrain from brambles and nettles. I wear shorts after walking 🙂
I get that. I personally never had a problem with insects or nettles. Sometimes my legs got little scratches, I didn't really care. Sun isn't a problem either, my legs get tanned and I use sun screen, I don't burn. I personally would overheat in a long skirt. But all those things you listed legitimate concerns for some people. All things to consider.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Skirt-wearers...do you not worry about thigh chafing?
I usually walk in a dress, though I don't really have an issue with chafing, I wear a pair of lightweight running shorts underneath, mostly for modesty reasons when I have to sit on the ground in an unladylike position. I sleep in the shorts and a tank top.

I have been hiking in a Macabi skirt for years. I love it. They come in 2 lengths, long and mid-length. The great pockets, (which give a huge sense of security as valuables can be hidden in zipped inner pockets) and adjustable waistband have been mentioned, but not yet the fact that the skirt can be shortened by means of tabs and snaps and also converted into "shorts" to accommodate temperature and terrain changes.. The fabric is easy care, and if it gets wet it dries very quickly. Very versatile.

Ditto on the Purple Rain skirt...can't say enough good things about it! And especially love that it comes from a little cottage industry. I wore mine every single day that I walked the CF with the exception of a few cool mornings. I have ordered a second one in a different color to take with me on the CP in May.

€46,-

Bodyglide for her anti-chafing balm - works great even in the very hottest weather and they make a really small size that's perfect for backpacking. You can buy it at Target or REI. I love hiking in a skirt!

Last edited:
You can wear men's ExOfficio boxerbriefs (they don't make the women's version anymore). They come down to just above mid-thigh or so and are breathable, light, and dry fast.
Rather than wear a skirt, I like a little something else underneath so I wear Title Nine skorts, I prefer the Swingtastic model because it is a bit longer than the others. It also has two zippered pockets in the front.

I have had a regular Macabi, but it is just too long for me. I find I trip on it walking uphill, etc. One skirt I took with me this winter to the Camino was a black "rip skirt". I liked it because it went easily with winter leggings and was great for wearing to the shower and back with just a t-shirt . Lightweight and looked nice in the evening with leggings and a scarf. Drawback is that there are no pockets.
https://ripskirthawaii.com/collections/skirts

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Rather than wear a skirt, I like a little something else underneath so I wear Title Nine skorts, I prefer the Swingtastic model because it is a bit longer than the others. It also has two zippered pockets in the front.
I don't like skorts because they are really just dressed up shorts, and don't have the flexibility of a skirt. I can wear my lightweight running shorts, bike shorts or leggings underneath a skirt. I also don't have to pull the whole thing down when nature calls. 😉

I don't like skorts because they are really just dressed up shorts, and don't have the flexibility of a skirt. I can wear my lightweight running shorts, bike shorts or leggings underneath a skirt. I also don't have to pull the whole thing down when nature calls. 😉
The Title Nine skorts look just like skirts, and have a soft mesh "boy" shorts underneath that can be pulled aside if need be. Shorts or leggings under a skirt still have to be pulled down, and I have found that to be more awkward. (And potentially revealing!:( )

I have had a regular Macabi, but it is just too long for me. I find I trip on it walking uphill, etc. One skirt I took with me this winter to the Camino was a black "rip skirt". I liked it because it went easily with winter leggings and was great for wearing to the shower and back with just a t-shirt . Lightweight and looked nice in the evening with leggings and a scarf. Drawback is that there are no pockets.
I just looked at these, I like the longer version, and that looks like it has a small pocket. It also looks like it might be possible to add a mesh pocket on the inside with even minimal sewing experience. Thanks! :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've worn a Royal Robbins Discovery Skirt on two Caminos and just loved it. Big, secure pockets and looks good enough for wearing after the Camino. I wear it all summer at home as well. They are almost discontinued, but still out there. And the Purple Rain skirt looks similar, but a bit shorter.

Maybe it is just me but I prefer shorts over a skirt. And the price of a pair of pants with zip off legs and fast drying material, is about half the price of the best priced skirts on the list provided. Again, maybe it is just me.

However, I do use a Rain kilt rather than rain pants. In that area, staying dry is the first priority but to stay dry in a rain, ventilation is essential. And when comparing the weight of these, the Kilt comes out on top, by a lot.

I’m not surprised to see lightheart gear at the top of the list and again further down with her hiking dress. i have the dress and it’s great and in a fashionable print. I haven’t tried purple rain, but I’ll check her site out as well.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I’ve hiked in my Macabi and have loved it, but our last camino I bought Purple Rain skirts for my daughters and myself and really loved the fabric and comfort. The gal who makes them is awesome!

I like the look of the Purple Rain skirt but they only ship from USA which makes it expensive. For ladies in the UK I’ve just spotted this one. I have several pairs of the Dynama pants and they are the most comfy trousers ever, lightweight and dry fast.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I just looked at these, I like the longer version, and that looks like it has a small pocket. It also looks like it might be possible to add a mesh pocket on the inside with even minimal sewing experience. Thanks! :)
The pocket is EXTREMELY small in the ripskirt. Like maybe it holds a pen. Very narrow. I don't know about adding a mesh pocket. It is just a wrap skirt with velcro to secure it. I did really like it because it was simple, easy to wash, dries fast. I had a black one and wore it with gray merino midweight leggings and a gray merino sweater. I was a hospitelera last winter and it worked well since I went with the pilgrims to mass every night right after coordinating dinner. I wore the same thing in the evenings after we transitioned from hospitaleros to peregrinos ourselves. I added a scarf to dress things up a little. In the summer I would skip the leggings and just wear it with a summer top or merino t-shirt.

I got a Tilley skirt that i am pretty excited about. It's just below knee length, so longer than these. I'll report back on how well it works.

Hi Lucy, I'm wondering if you've worn your Tilley skirt on any walks yet and if so, how did it fare? I'm doing my research and looking at which skirt to buy ...

Great information for all who have posted! Thanks for sharing!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Lucy, I'm wondering if you've worn your Tilley skirt on any walks yet and if so, how did it fare? I'm doing my research and looking at which skirt to buy ...
It has been really cold here so my training has been at the gym, but I did wear it over merino leggings on an 8km walk with my pack. My legs were a little chilly (it was about 0C/32F) but fine and I am glad i got it.

An aside...rain skirts. If you can sew or afford them they are much more comfortable (IMHO) than pants. I love my WanderWrap and it has 2 pockets. Different length options but it gets expensive to ship outside of the USA.

An aside...rain skirts. If you can sew or afford them they are much more comfortable (IMHO) than pants. I love my WanderWrap and it has 2 pockets. Different length options but it gets expensive to ship outside of the USA.
I love my Wander Wrap rain skirt! Never carry pants. Perfect over my Purple Rain skirt.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.