• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking skorts for ladies?

• Thread starter Former member 52047
  • Start date
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A Google Search on Skort brought up a lot of options.

Thanks, Annie - I'm quite familiar with Google, was hoping for some personal opinions and experiences from ladies of the Caminos...pros/cons, that sort of thing.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My wife LOVED the athleta hiking skort. Found it much more comfortable than she shorts she also took and the skirt she had trained with but didnt take. And, looking like a skirt, it allowed her to feel more comfortable when we went out for dinner in the evening,etc

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks, Annie - I'm quite familiar with Google, was hoping for some personal opinions and experiences from ladies of the Caminos...pros/cons, that sort of thing.

Sorry. :oops: I didn't mean to be rude.

I tried on the Columbia "Just Right" skort and didn't like the way the zipper wouldn't lay flat. But that could have been b/c of my belly :) Seems like a skort would be a good idea, except for the washing/drying of it. Lots of layers of cloth.

My wife LOVED the athleta hiking skort. Found it much more comfortable than she shorts she also took and the skirt she had trained with but didnt take. And, looking like a skirt, it allowed her to feel more comfortable when we went out for dinner in the evening,etc

Thanks! I like the Athleta brand, and have considered this skort, so it's good to hear it worked well on the camino for your wife!

Thanks! I like the Athleta brand, and have considered this skort, so it's good to hear it worked well on the camino for your wife!
Not only did she find it comfie on the camino, it has lasted. We walk every day in New Orleans heat, and going on 3 years from our Camino, and she still wears it a couple of times a week on walks....... Most of our camino clothes didn't even make it back from Galicia.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Those of us wearing Macabis, for the pockets and length in the evening to help with chilly legs and not how flattering they are, have looked into biking shorts of some sort.

A winner last year was the inexpensive East Bay Evapour compression shorts for men. The compression is minimal, just like a bathingsuit's compression is. Length is key: I was not paying attention and bought the 5 or 6 inch leg and it was just ok, would have preferred the 8 inch. They come in all sorts of colours, and don't really have a "pocket" for the privates so perfect for us girls. Quick drying, light, just don't buy them too big or the leg will ride up. I had to have extra elastic sewn on the leg to keep it in place.

Recently we have been talking about silk bikingshort type undies as well.

They don't ship to Canada so it's a pain, but for those in the US I recommend them.

Now, exposed legs are fine on the Frances, but on the Primitivo and even a few parts of the Norte I was glad to have textiles protecting my legs from throny bushes and when having to sit to climb down a path, or on my knees climbing up another.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi ladies - other than the Macabi, which sorry, I think is dreadful looking, does anyone have a favorite hiking skort that's available in the US? Something just above knee length with pockets? I suppose a skirt would be OK, too, but then I'll need some sort of shorts underneath....

With no offense intended to those who love the Macabi's, I was much happier with my Royal Robbins hiking skirt. I have a friend who has a Macabi, and she let me play with it a bit, but it was all just too much. I don't carry that much stuff to need a bunch of pockets, and it's just all too "big" for me. The skirt below is very similar to what I ended up taking, and I wore merino wool women's shorts underneath --that I ordered from icebreaker. If I wasn't wearing the merino shorts, I had tights on under the skirt at night.

The fabric of the skirt is quick drop, and also quite water resistant. I liked the Royal Robbins.

Attachments

• 81GAPiKAc5L._SL1500_.jpg
    81GAPiKAc5L._SL1500_.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 80
With no offense intended to those who love the Macabi's, I was much happier with my Royal Robbins hiking skirt. I have a friend who has a Macabi, and she let me play with it a bit, but it was all just too much. I don't carry that much stuff to need a bunch of pockets, and it's just all too "big" for me. The skirt below is very similar to what I ended up taking, and I wore merino wool women's shorts underneath --that I ordered from icebreaker. If I wasn't wearing the merino shorts, I had tights on under the skirt at night.

The fabric of the skirt is quick drop, and also quite water resistant. I liked the Royal Robbins.
Ah, the luck of those fitting in regular sizes. Not so many options for the plus sized ones amongst us, hence why I tolerate the Macabi's unflatering silhouette... But do tell about the Icebreaker shorts. I see they are 97% Merino. How itchy are they in comparison to their Ts? Could not imagine tolerating itchy on soft skin.

Ah, the luck of those fitting in regular sizes. Not so many options for the plus sized ones amongst us, hence why I tolerate the Macabi's unflatering silhouette... But do tell about the Icebreaker shorts. I see they are 97% Merino. How itchy are they in comparison to their Ts? Could not imagine tolerating itchy on soft skin.

I was very pleasantly surprised at their softness. They were not at all itchy, and very comfortable. They don't ride up into the inner thigh. Of course, they are called "shorts" but given the light fabric, I would not dare to appear in public in such a thing. I found, however, that they were great under skirts--no chafing--as well as under long pants on a cold day. I slept in them too. I was so happy with them that I bought a second pair, although I took only one pair when I walked the CF.

It was great to have a pair of merino shorts/ underwear with longer legs that didn't roll down over my plump tummy or come up around the thigh. I also can't tolerate low-cut pants or shorts, and they are right around the belly button.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Those of us wearing Macabis, for the pockets and length in the evening to help with chilly legs and not how flattering they are, have looked into biking shorts of some sort.

A winner last year was the inexpensive East Bay Evapour compression shorts for men....
I used the 8" East Bay Evapour's during my 2014 camino. Also worked great as sleep shorts.

When I walked the CF last August and September , I wore LL Bean's Vista Trekking Skort. It is a skirt with soft lightweight mesh shorts underneath that do not ride up. On colder mornings I wore my Costco merino wool blend long underwear underneath the skirt but over the the shorts to keep warm. When the temperature warmed up, I removed the long underwear.
My only issue with this skort is that the waistband did stretch a little with wear(although once washed it went back to its original shape), I would take a lightweight belt next time.

I took an off brand, just one that was comfortable and made out of a wicking material (similar to the material of hiking pants). While it only had one small pocket, that didn't bother me and I loved loved wearing it! I would put my Smart Wool base layer light weight pants on under it when it was cooler, take them off as it warmed up during the day. I probably wore it more than my shorts. The Macabi was NOT one for me either!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

This is the skirt I intend to wear for my first camino in April. I have been backpacking in various skirts for a number of years, but don't generally wear shorts underneath, just regular undies. I have also been known to go "comando". Chaffing has not really been a problem for me (knock on wood). I have trialed this skirt and think it will work well. Campfire, you might look into this skirt and go with separate merino or similar boxer type underwear instead of a skort. Seems like that would be more versatile - not having the shorts stuck on the skirt. I like a skirt for long distance hiking/walking as it is much cooler in warm weather, easy to add pants or tights under for cooler weather, looks reasonable when visiting churches, etc. and last but not least, a skirt makes it so much easier to pee. Yes ladies, in a skirt you CAN master peeing in a standing position - just takes a bit of practice and a wide stance!

Hi ladies - other than the Macabi, which sorry, I think is dreadful looking, does anyone have a favorite hiking skort that's available in the US? Something just above knee length with pockets? I suppose a skirt would be OK, too, but then I'll need some sort of shorts underneath....

I second the purple rain skirt :)

I bought one for my hike from Mexico to Canada last year on the PCT and wore it every single day (160 days), then walked the Camino Frances in it in November and it still looks brand new :)

It has terrific pockets - they fit my iphone, purse, passport, hand gel and tissues, a yoga waistband which is incredibly comfortable under the hipbelt of my pack, it's quick-drying and you can pee standing up :) ... If it's a cold morning, I add leggings or wind pants. I was worried about chafing as well on my thru-hike of the PCT last year so I took a small tube of bodyglide, used it for the first couple of days then didn't use it again.

I also love the fact that buying one is supporting a small business. Mandy (who makes them) is based out of Ashland, Oregon - I only know this because I walked through Ashland last year on the PCT and bought a second skirt - a black one - because I like them so much! (I have no connections with Mandy and these skirts other than from buying them for myself).

I've attached 2 pics of me wearing the skirt in America on the PCT and on the Camino Frances last year:

DSC01204-1.jpg IMG_5870_Hummingbird at Mt Laguna.JPG

Buen Camino!

I bought one for my hike from Mexico to Canada last year on the PCT and wore it every single day (160 days), then walked the Camino Frances in it in November and it still looks brand new :)

Thanks! My friend who suggested Purple Rain was also a PCT hiker :)
I'm heading to Asia in a few weeks and that was my first need for a skort, so I've ordered a few and will try them out on that trip. I've got over a year yet to explore a skirt/shorts option for the camino, so I appreciate all the suggestions :)

Because I do a lot of cycling, I favor Terry sports and wraps. They look and feel great and are made of practical, quick-drying fabrics.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've been seriously looking at the Purple Rain Skirt as my "dressy in town skirt for Madrid". I think I'd have a custom cut one just a bit longer, probably top of knee length or just under knee cap (22 -23/24"??) rather than the standard 20".

I've been seriously looking at the Purple Rain Skirt as my "dressy in town skirt for Madrid". I think I'd have a custom cut one just a bit longer, probably top of knee length or just under knee cap (22 -23/24"??) rather than the standard 20".

The longer I walked, the more my stomach decreased and the longer my skirt became ;) ... but that's what's so nice about having a yoga waistband, it could never fall below my hips :)

The longer I walked, the more my stomach decreased and the longer my skirt became ;) ... but that's what's so nice about having a yoga waistband, it could never fall below my hips :)
And in my case it would never fall below my butt. I actually have a WalMart skirt that is the same shape and has the yoga waistband. No pockets though and I've worn it so much it is getting pretty ragged. Would love to have one in superior fabric.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Like GreatDane I used a JC Penney skort on the CF. A few people thought I was wearing a skirt and thought that was odd, but it was also the outfit I used attending Pilgrim masses along the way. I had to use safety pins toward the end of my camino to hold it up but no complaints about that.

I wouldn't wear a skort. You can't just pull up the skirt part to go pee modestly, you'd have to pull the whole skort down because the shorts are attached. That would not be subtle. The best would be a skirt with pockets and some light weight stretch shorts, like compression shorts or something.You can pull the shorts down and squat and have the skirt cover you pretty well. I'm looking for a pattern for such a skirt. I would probably have to design my own pockets.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I wouldn't wear a skort. You can't just pull up the skirt part to go pee modestly, you'd have to pull the whole skort down because the shorts are attached. That would not be subtle. The best would be a skirt with pockets and some light weight stretch shorts, like compression shorts or something.You can pull the shorts down and squat and have the skirt cover you pretty well. I'm looking for a pattern for such a skirt. I would probably have to design my own pockets.
Of course, with a skirt, you'd have to shave the legs!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

It has terrific pockets - they fit my iphone, purse, passport, hand gel and tissues, a yoga waistband which is incredibly comfortable under the hipbelt of my pack, it's quick-drying and you can pee standing up :) ... If it's a cold morning, I add leggings or wind pants. I was worried about chafing as well on my thru-hike of the PCT last year so I took a small tube of bodyglide, used it for the first couple of days then didn't use it again.

I also love the fact that buying one is supporting a small business. Mandy (who makes them) is based out of Ashland, Oregon - I only know this because I walked through Ashland last year on the PCT and bought a second skirt - a black one - because I like them so much! (I have no connections with Mandy and these skirts other than from buying them for myself).

I've attached 2 pics of me wearing the skirt in America on the PCT and on the Camino Frances last year:

Buen Camino!

Thanks @katdavis, I've just ordered one. Your photos helped me to decide!

I
I reallly love my Icebreaker baselayers. They are soft, comfy, keep me warm or dry, absorb stink, and dry fast.

I hiked the Camino last year and had 2 black skirts and wore biking shorts under. Sometimes the skorts under shorts ride up the thighs, so I have actually cut them out and used my own! I am always on the quest for the perfect skort....LOL. A few new ones I like are skirtsports.com and Stonewear
I think it is hit and miss as obviously we all have different bodies....I am walking the Portuguese Coastal this June and plan on the same attire!
Best of luck....Buen Camino!

For my second camino, I took two full, mid-calf length linen skirts purchased in Vancouver, made in India. These are skirts I already wear at home, so they were not bought just for the camino. They were perfect for end of September, all of October and beginning of November weather. I wore leggings with them when it was cooler, and without leggings as the day warmed up. I don't think it's necessary to buy specialty clothing, just be sure that the choice works for you. How heavy is the item? Is it comfortable? Will it be difficult to clean? etc.

Love the Athleta skorts and they have a couple of styles and colors.

Look at Title Nine they have shorts that you could wear underneath skirts but also have some quick dry skorts. I prefer them over Athleta due to fit and how long the clothing lasts.

I have a couple of Whatever skorts from Athleta (now discontinued but readily available on eBay; also similar to Athleta's current Wear About skort) and I use them often for summer travel. They are comfortable, lightweight, and extremely packable. That being said, I don't think I'd like to hike in one of them, or for that matter any skort, although I would definitely consider a skirt + compression shorts and/or leggings. A skirt provides flexibility for varying weather conditions, and lends privacy "cover" for a quick change of the shorts to leggings, or when nature calls. I wouldn't want to have to wash the whole skort when a quick wash of the compression shorts would probably suffice. Also, the pockets of my Athleta skorts are on the back - not convenient when wearing a pack.

Has anyone had or seen one of the purplerain kilts? Those look kind of neat. There isn't much information on the site about what material they are made of, etc.

Hi everybody - what a lot of great suggestions! I love this forum. After checking out all the preferences I have found that Royal Robbins clothing really seemed like the way to go "for me". I loved the Discovery Skirt (pockets and a zipper) and the Jammer Capris - they have a lot of features that would come in handy for a pilgrim - fast dryng, wrinkle resistant, SPF 50, light weight, stylish etc. The link follows.. They are a little pricey but maybe you could find them on sale if not in a hurry.
https://www.royalrobbins.com/women/pants

€46,-

Hi Kat, did you have your first skirt delivery to the uk? If so were there any import costs?

Has anyone had or seen one of the purplerain kilts? Those look kind of neat. There isn't much information on the site about what material they are made of, etc.
The website - purplerainskirts.com says their kilt is:
  • 100% Taslan offers the comfort of cotton with the performance and durability of nylon. DWR finish.
  • Average weight 4oz
Taslan is like Supplex, both are woven nylon fabrics.

Hi Kat, did you have your first skirt delivery to the uk? If so were there any import costs?

Hi Maggie,

Yep, I had my first skirt delivered to the UK and I didn't have to pay any import charges. (I'm not sure if I was lucky or there's just no charge on it though?)

Kat

I have a Macabi skirt and have worn it here in the states on several camping/hiking trips and did not like it when hiking when it was hot or wet. It does have great pockets and it great for wading or fishing in the shallows, but I ended up with chaffing when hiking and wearing the shorts underneath did not feel comfortable to me either. In the rain I found that I wanted to pull it up into the "shorts" mode and it was like wearing a big wet diaper of sorts--otherwise I was tripping over it while brush busting around lakes and streams. I do like it for traveling and car camping, but not for a long stretches of walking or hiking. I bought the LL Bean skort mentioned earlier and will alternate that with a pair of long Columbia pants on hot days. Also have some 3/4 leggings to sleep in and wear underneath either pants or skort if it is too cold. Both skort and pants have lots of good zipper and snap pockets.

The idea of wearing a skirt on the Camino momentarily interested me, and now I'm realizing that, in real life, I really do prefer lightweight pants and shorts and that a skirt *over* shorts wouldn't make sense to me.

I took a Katmandu skort on my second Camino and wore it after the days walk, i also took a pair of 3/4 and full length tights and they could be worn under the skort depending on how cold it was and could also be worn to bed. The skort could also be worn to walk in if my shorts didn't dry for the next day, which only happened once. It was so nice to be able to put a skirt on after walking in shorts all day. i will take the same clothes on this years walk and it's only 25 days until i leave.

Buen Camino Judy.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.