• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking sticks

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Piru, it's really up to you whether or not you buy one before you leave or pick it up along the Way.

All along the Camino you will find sticks being sold, beautiful palos, and buying those helps support the people who live along the routes.

But other people take walking sticks like the one you posted. (Except I really don't think you need the knife!)

It's really a matter of preference.

Last trip, I bought a palo for under 5 euros in St. Jean.
This trip, I'm taking Leki walking sticks because I'm taking a screen tent that requires sticks for setup.

Mostly the sticks are good for keeping your balance on some of the more steep trails (up and down) and for crossing water. At least that's how they helped me. I understand they're good for dogs too, but luckily no dogs attacked on my Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
On my practice walks around the UK I borrowed or tried a variety of sticks. 'Walking poles' I felt were not up to the task. I wanted something I could put my weight on if necessary. I ended up with a long shepherd's crook from a high street tobacconists! Cut to length (forearm straight from elbow), fitted with a reinforced rubber end and used with the opening forwards it was ideal. I carried it 662 kilometers round the Norte and Primitivo and I literally could not have managed without it.
For anyone who feels that they need a 'pole' I would I would suggest trying and buying before you go! Youngsters may cope, but for those of us who are older, stiffer and less flexible it makes sense to be prepared!

Walk well and safely
Tio Tel

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi There,
I could not have walked the 800kms without my Pacer Poles!!!!!!!!!! Available Australia, United Kingdom.
Susanna

I too had "Pacer Poles" when walking from Le Puy and sing their praises!

A word of explanation to the uninitiated though - these poles are a different shape to the normal walking poles and a different technique is required to the nordic type poles that I saw most Europeans using in 2007. They have been ergonomically designed by a phsio who has (I believe successfully) attempted to design poles which can be used day after day without the arms, and more importantly the wrists, getting tired - and worse having RSI set in. The whole swing of the arm is utilised to propel one along with Pacer poles and there should be no alteration in the natural hand and arm movements if being used correctly.

I remember meeting a man (from Belgium - others may have met him too) pushing a cart over the Pyrennees in 2007 who was quite insistent that I was using my poles incorrectly. He would not listen to my attempted explanation that they were different to the normal poles and that I had been successfully using them since Le Puy. Sadly the only way to escape was to be rude and push on ahead, but he was not prepared to listen to my explanation - I could see his logic for the normal poles but the "pacers" are a different style. Cheers, Janet

There was an article on the Aladdin poles, which actually elevate you magic-carpet style, completely eliminating stress on knees and ankles. I am Googling them now, and will post the article when I find it. I hope it's not just an advertising gimmick.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have to go with Susanna and Janet's recommendation - I used Pacer Poles and, if not for them, I would have had to abandon my walk within 3 days of starting. As someone posted last year, he'd jumped out of an airplane, white water rafted down a dangerous river, but would never take the risk of walking the camino without walking poles! I walked a week with someone who just had a stick she'd found along the way, and her walking stick didn't make the grade when we were clambering down slippery slopes, the way my walking poles did. Check out their website before you decide not to take anything. cheers, jane

Does anyone know if I might be able to buy a traditional wood hiking stick in Baiona, Galicia?
I have 2 such poles that we bought in TuI years ago. Now we need another for my niece.
Has anyone seen wood hiking poles around Baiona?
Thanks!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks. That’s what I’m talking about. Baiona and Tui are in Galicia, in Spain, along the Portuguese route.
I was wondering if anyone had seen wood hiking sticks around Baiona (or Bayona) in Galicia, Spain. That’s where we are starting this year. Portugués Coastal route.
Thanks anyway for your quick reply.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.