• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Camino Olvidado Guide created by one of our forum members

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking the Baztan, Olvidado, and Invierno routes in Spain

sharon w

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2007
Camino Portugues 2009
Via Podiensis, Camino Frances, Camino Finisterre 2012
Cammino di Assisi 2014
Via Podiensis, Camino del Norte, Camino Frances(Astorga to Santiago) 2015
Aussie Camino 2016
Has anyone walked the Baztan to Pamplona then continued from there onto the Olvidado before doing the Invierno? Looking at planning this route for 2024.
If so, would May be the best time to start?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi @sharon w

Gréât plan. 👍 no personal experience of these paths - though all are in my future I hope. From what I’ve read I think it’s a great combo, and May a good time. I’ll watch the replies with interest. 😎

Hi @sharon w

Gréât plan. 👍 no personal experience of these paths - though all are in my future I hope. From what I’ve read I think it’s a great combo, and May a good time. I’ll watch the replies with interest. 😎
Thanks.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Oooo, that sounds like fun! I haven't done that myself but just finished the Invierno and hope to do the Olvidado later this year.

From Pamplona, you'd actually be on the Camino Viejo which then joins the Olvidado. I did 3 days of this, setting off from Pamplona, a few months ago. It's a beautiful area but accommodation could be tricky in parts. Signage was mixed as well so I'd suggest having tracks to follow on your phone. There's a great "virtual Camino Viejo" thread here that might prove useful for this section: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...nning-for-viejo-olvidado-from-pamplona.67492/

I live relatively close to this area so if I get a long weekend with decent weather in the future, I might try the next etapas from where I left off!

Oooo, that sounds like fun! I haven't done that myself but just finished the Invierno and hope to do the Olvidado later this year.

From Pamplona, you'd actually be on the Camino Viejo which then joins the Olvidado. I did 3 days of this, setting off from Pamplona, a few months ago. It's a beautiful area but accommodation could be tricky in parts. Signage was mixed as well so I'd suggest having tracks to follow on your phone. There's a great "virtual Camino Viejo" thread here that might prove useful for this section: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...nning-for-viejo-olvidado-from-pamplona.67492/

I live relatively close to this area so if I get a long weekend with decent weather in the future, I might try the next etapas from where I left off!
Thanks WestKirsty. I will look at some tracks to add to my phone.
I read your posts on the Invierno. Will be keeping an eye out for your posts on the Olvidado.

I think this is a great route. The forum has lots of info on all of the sections (Baztán, Viejo, Olvidado, Invierno), so it just depends on how much information you want to collect before walking. The Viejo is high on my list, lots of mountains, lots of romanesque, lots of detours. :)

I’ve walked the Olvidado twice, and though I enjoyed Bilbao to Aguilar, I think there’s no doubt that the route from Aguilar to Ponferrada/Cacabelos is more spectacular, at least if mountains are your thing. But I would definitely take tracks. Not for the Invierno (probably the Iberian peninsula’s most heavily signed camino), but probably for the Baztán, and definitely for the Viejo and Olvidado.

As far as starting date goes, I would start in mid- late May. Five of us started the Baztán around the 15th and never had anything resembling hot weather. I got on a bus from Pamplona to Irún to try to Norte’s coastal alternatives, but if I am lucky enough to have a next time, I would surely continue onto the Viejo. Summer on the Olvidado is not likely to be scorching, but I would avoid August just because there will be lots of vacationers in the mountains and around some of the attractions.

I know there are several forum members who got the Viejo bug from our virtual planning thread, so you can be sure that you will get enthusiastic responses from anything you post, whether it be questions or comments beforehand, or a live thread.

Buen camino, Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think this is a great route. The forum has lots of info on all of the sections (Baztán, Viejo, Olvidado, Invierno), so it just depends on how much information you want to collect before walking. The Viejo is high on my list, lots of mountains, lots of romanesque, lots of detours. :)

I’ve walked the Olvidado twice, and though I enjoyed Bilbao to Aguilar, I think there’s no doubt that the route from Aguilar to Ponferrada/Cacabelos is more spectacular, at least if mountains are your thing. But I would definitely take tracks. Not for the Invierno (probably the Iberian peninsula’s most heavily signed camino), but probably for the Baztán, and definitely for the Viejo and Olvidado.

As far as starting date goes, I would start in mid- late May. Five of us started the Baztán around the 15th and never had anything resembling hot weather. I got on a bus from Pamplona to Irún to try to Norte’s coastal alternatives, but if I am lucky enough to have a next time, I would surely continue onto the Viejo. Summer on the Olvidado is not likely to be scorching, but I would avoid August just because there will be lots of vacationers in the mountains and around some of the attractions.

I know there are several forum members who got the Viejo bug from our virtual planning thread, so you can be sure that you will get enthusiastic responses from anything you post, whether it be questions or comments beforehand, or a live thread.

Buen camino, Laurie
Thanks Laurie.

Has anyone walked the Baztan to Pamplona then continued from there onto the Olvidado before doing the Invierno? Looking at planning this route for 2024.
If so, would May be the best time to start?

Hi Sharon,

I just stumbled upon this thread. I plan to walk exactly this way in June-July this summer!

I probably start walking from Bayonne on June 22.

I am also interested to hear from people who already walked this combo. Especially how many stages/days, on average. Gronze shows how many stages are calculated on the Olvidado from Bilbao, but not from Pamplona. I don't know about accomodation either, but @WestKirsty has given me hope that it is possible to find places to stay the first week or so from Pamplona.

I guess you can read about my misfortunes this summer, and then avoid making the same mistakes in 2024.........

/BP

I love planning Caminos almost as much as walking them :p

I've started a spreadsheet for the Viejo then on to the Olvidado. In particular I'm trying to ensure there's accommodation on the Viejo! I did the first 3 days from Pamplona last Fall (here's the info about that mini-trip) and then I walked the Vasco - which is well signed and lots of accommodation options along that stretch - so I know the Viejo is possible from Pamplona to Miranda de Ebro.

I've been researching routes and accommodation from there and here's where I've gotten to thus far: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11sjDnOmmsnZfbozxCSbBQSjTpdc5jkSEfL5fA-GhyJw/edit?usp=sharing

I'm considering bringing a one person tent for this one as there seems to be a few campgrounds on the route and they may help keep the costs down. I haven't included all the Casa Rurales that are on route too as they seem pricy and/ would need to be contacted to see if you can book just one room (vs the whole house).

I'll keep working on this and hopefully the link works and you can see the info/links!

Happy planning!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
there are several forum members who got the Viejo bug from our virtual planning thread, so you can be sure that you will get enthusiastic responses from anything you post, whether it be questions or comments beforehand, or a live thread.
As the instigator of that planning thread, all this interest is really exciting. You betcha anything posted on the groind will be of interest! Especially once the Viejo parts company from the Vasco and heads into terra incognita.

. I plan to walk exactly this way in June-July this summer!
Oh!?!

Wow. A wave!

So just to be sure I understand— We actually have a small group of forum members who are planning to walk from Pamplona to Aguilar on what we have called the Viejo, and then continue on the Olvidado “proper” to Ponferrada or Cacabelos? Wow this is wonderful.

Remember, if you want the “olvidada” (certificate), you can’t cut off to Ponferrada from Congosto!!

We actually have a small group of forum members who are planning to walk from Pamplona to Aguilar on what we have called the Viejo, and then continue on the Olvidado “proper” to Ponferrada or Cacabelos?

Oh, I haven't heard of anyone. Are they going in spring or summer? I'm pretty sure it will be June 22 for me: I will soon buy the plane tickets.

Remember, if you want the “olvidada” (certificate), you can’t cut off to Ponferrada from Congosto!!

I don't need those certificates: I have decided to veer off to Ponferrada as soon as possible! I need to get to the Invierno! But Gronze doesn't have detailed maps so I am not sure where to leave the Olvidado, or if the way towards Ponferrada is waymarked.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I love planning Caminos almost as much as walking them :p

I've started a spreadsheet for the Viejo then on to the Olvidado. In particular I'm trying to ensure there's accommodation on the Viejo! I did the first 3 days from Pamplona last Fall (here's the info about that mini-trip) and then I walked the Vasco - which is well signed and lots of accommodation options along that stretch - so I know the Viejo is possible from Pamplona to Miranda de Ebro.

I've been researching routes and accommodation from there and here's where I've gotten to thus far: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11sjDnOmmsnZfbozxCSbBQSjTpdc5jkSEfL5fA-GhyJw/edit?usp=sharing

I'm considering bringing a one person tent for this one as there seems to be a few campgrounds on the route and they may help keep the costs down. I haven't included all the Casa Rurales that are on route too as they seem pricy and/ would need to be contacted to see if you can book just one room (vs the whole house).

I'll keep working on this and hopefully the link works and you can see the info/links!

Happy planning!
The link works. I also like to plan in advance and will be looking forward to reading your posts. Thanks.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back