• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Camino Portugues from Santiago to Lisbon: Tips and Advice

Fr. Tom Lilly

Time of past OR future Camino
Want to do the Camino del Norte (Aug to Nov 2014)
Hello! I will be walking the Camino Norte to Santiago in the summer of 2023 and would like to continue south to Lisbon, esentially walking the Camino Portugues "backwards." I have several good apps and maps, etc. I am seeking wisdom from the group on whether I am "missing" something, as long as I don't expect to see much (if any) signage going from north to south. It seems straightforward; however, I might be biting off more than I can chew. Thanks for sharing your thoughts., and happy new year! Peace, Fr. Tom

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think that it's certainly doable with GPS apps, but you will miss out on quite a bit of the camaraderie when you are going in the opposite direction of most other pilgrims. You could take the train down to Lisbon and start there and head back up to Santiago, though I do see the appeal of a continuous walk without taking any transport.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you don’t mind every pilgrim you pass telling you are going the wrong way.
I smiled at this. Unlike those going east on the CF, those travelling south on the CP are following a well established pilgrimage route, to Fatima, for much of the early part of the journey. After a while, they might confuse the pilgrims coming north, but at least not initially.

Last edited:
Hi Fr. Tom, I’ve walked “backwards” several times, on the CF and the CP. It IS doable, although you will get to many intersections where you are unsure which path to take. If a pilgrim is coming towards you, then no problem. If not, it may take a while to get onto the right path. Be prepared to frequently get lost – or not where you are supposed to be. Once you cross into Portugal the way is waymarked with blue arrows to Fatima.

Not only pilgrims, but many locals will tell you that you are going the wrong way, so learn how to say that you are walking to Fatima, or Rome, or wherever, so that they can stop worrying about you.

After a while I did get kind of lonely. Every night there are different people, who are already in their little camino groups, so it can be a bit difficult to meet others to spend the evenings with.

It IS a challenge, in more ways than one, but, yes, doable.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello! I will be walking the Camino Norte to Santiago in the summer of 2023 and would like to continue south to Lisbon, esentially walking the Camino Portugues "backwards." I have several good apps and maps, etc. I am seeking wisdom from the group on whether I am "missing" something, as long as I don't expect to see much (if any) signage going from north to south. It seems straightforward; however, I might be biting off more than I can chew. Thanks for sharing your thoughts., and happy new year! Peace, Fr. Tom
My wife and I did it last November.
It was great. Just follow the blue arrows to Fatima.
Then just look behind you every so often.
Not difficult at all.

I smiled at this. Unlike those going east on the CF, those travelling south on the CP as following a well established pilgrimage route, to Fatima, for much of the early part of the journey. After a while, they might confuse the pilgrims coming north, but at least not initially.
Thank you, Doug,

I had not even thought of that! I chuckled, as well. Not the first time I've gone the "wrong way." Blessngs in this New Year! - Tom

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My wife and I did it last November.
It was great. Just follow the blue arrows to Fatima.
Then just look behind you every so often.
Not difficult at all.
Thank you, "Fulton." Good to know I won't be a "trail blazer!" Peace, Tom

Hi Fr. Tom, I’ve walked “backwards” several times, on the CF and the CP. It IS doable, although you will get to many intersections where you are unsure which path to take. If a pilgrim is coming towards you, then no problem. If not, it may take a while to get onto the right path. Be prepared to frequently get lost – or not where you are supposed to be. Once you cross into Portugal the way is waymarked with blue arrows to Fatima.

Not only pilgrims, but many locals will tell you that you are going the wrong way, so learn how to say that you are walking to Fatima, or Rome, or wherever, so that they can stop worrying about you.

After a while I did get kind of lonely. Every night there are different people, who are already in their little camino groups, so it can be a bit difficult to meet others to spend the evenings with.

It IS a challenge, in more ways than one, but, yes, doabl

Thank you, Jill, for your thoughtful reply. I appreciate the time you devoted in responding. This forum is excellent. I have not yet decided what I'm going to do and probably won't until a week out. Happy New Year! -- Tom

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back