• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking to Santiago from Rome (advice wanted)

TagoMago

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2015)
Hello, Buenos dias.

Has anyone completed this route by foot? I am struggling (even after lurking on this forum for awhile) to find any first-hand accounts. I am attempting it from early April before the heat kicks in. I will be taking a tent, cooking equipment. The plan is to do the Via Francigena in reverse, and then cut left via the coast into France where the way becomes more 'official'. Now, here's the kicker, as an Australia citizen I will only have 90 days inside the schengen region to complete the distance (roughtly 2400 kilometres.) I have completed the French way from Saint Jean (28 days) and didn't find it particularly strenuous, but I am concerned that I will be too fixated with rushing to get there to really enjoy the experience. If anyone has completed this way, or anyone feels like they could offer any advice or recommendations, or warnings against, or encouragment for, is welcome. Cheers! James,

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I haven't walked the route you are planning but I did walk from Canterbury to Rome in summer 2015. About 1900 km over 66 days - so very close to the daily average distance you would be covering. I also carried a tent, sleeping mat and sleeping bag which I used for most of my walk through France and Switzerland. There was enough pilgrim accommodation once on the Via Francigena in Italy not to need the tent there though I carried it through to Rome.

You mention that you walked the Camino Frances and did not find it too strenuous. Did you carry a tent along the Frances, or a pack of similar weight to what you mean to carry on your longer walk? Do you have other experience of carrying a heavy load for several weeks at a time? A very different experience from an albergue-to-albergue walk along the Camino Frances with minimal gear. As your pack weight increases the risk of injuries also increases. It can take a few gentle days to grow comfortable with a large pack: balance, chafing and pressure can all be troublesome at first. To complete your route in 90 days you would need to average 27km per day. That also assumes that you would be walking every single day of your 90 day visa period: literally from the day of arrival in Rome to your departure from Santiago. In practice I think you would need to cover 30+km per day. That may not sound like too much of a challenge but the cumulative effect of repeating this day after day while carrying a heavy weight can be very damaging to joints, muscles and bone. On my Via Francigena walk I had a foot injury which was very probably a small stress fracture caused by repetitive strain. Your timetable does not give you much time to start slow and allow your body to adjust to the changing demands on it. If you are able to build up your walking gradually at home before setting off for Italy that might be some help. Otherwise I think you may find what you are planning is a major physical challenge which would leave you little time or energy to enjoy the other aspects of the journey.

You have already walked the Camino Frances from St Jean. Have you considered aiming for Puente la Reina instead?: where the route from Arles via Somport joins the Camino Frances. Still quite a challenge in the time frame you are planning but more realistic. You would then have walked the whole distance from Rome to Santiago, although in two stages and in unconventional order :) I did something similar myself by walking from home in Wales to St Jean Pied de Port many years after walking the Camino Frances.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Has anyone completed this route by foot?

Yep

I am struggling (even after lurking on this forum for awhile) to find any first-hand accounts. I am attempting it from early April before the heat kicks in. I will be taking a tent, cooking equipment. The plan is to do the Via Francigena in reverse, and then cut left via the coast into France where the way becomes more 'official'. Now, here's the kicker, as an Australia citizen I will only have 90 days inside the schengen region to complete the distance (roughtly 2400 kilometres.) I have completed the French way from Saint Jean (28 days) and didn't find it particularly strenuous, but I am concerned that I will be too fixated with rushing to get there to really enjoy the experience. If anyone has completed this way, or anyone feels like they could offer any advice or recommendations, or warnings against, or encouragment for, is welcome. Cheers! James,

90 days is likely insufficient -- it took me 77 days to Santiago from here and 28 days to Rome, so even assuming similar speed, that's an extra week or so.

The Francès is intrinsically faster because it is both restructured for ease, and supported by Pilgrim and Hospitalero help.

These things cannot be automatically counted on between about Lourdes and Tuscany.

Hello, Buenos dias.

Has anyone completed this route by foot? I am struggling (even after lurking on this forum for awhile) to find any first-hand accounts. I am attempting it from early April before the heat kicks in. I will be taking a tent, cooking equipment. The plan is to do the Via Francigena in reverse, and then cut left via the coast into France where the way becomes more 'official'. Now, here's the kicker, as an Australia citizen I will only have 90 days inside the schengen region to complete the distance (roughtly 2400 kilometres.) I have completed the French way from Saint Jean (28 days) and didn't find it particularly strenuous, but I am concerned that I will be too fixated with rushing to get there to really enjoy the experience. If anyone has completed this way, or anyone feels like they could offer any advice or recommendations, or warnings against, or encouragment for, is welcome. Cheers! James,
Hi James

Welcome to the forum. There are a number of people that walked this route - you will find a few of them that have either posted on this forum or others have shared their stories on their behalf.

I myself have thought about doing the same route, probably leaving from Rome mid April (Easter) and arriving in Santiago late July. But as you pointed out I have do the entire route in 90 days which based on what I read, and what I know of the various sections is tough to do.

If you find a way to do it within 90 days comfortably, please let me know.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
More like 2700km. It took me 97 days. PM me with your email address and I'll send you my "as walked" itinerary. I didn't take a tent or cooking gear and didn't need them.

Fantastic, exactly what I need.

I haven't walked the route you are planning but I did walk from Canterbury to Rome in summer 2015. About 1900 km over 66 days - so very close to the daily average distance you would be covering. I also carried a tent, sleeping mat and sleeping bag which I used for most of my walk through France and Switzerland. There was enough pilgrim accommodation once on the Via Francigena in Italy not to need the tent there though I carried it through to Rome.

You mention that you walked the Camino Frances and did not find it too strenuous. Did you carry a tent along the Frances, or a pack of similar weight to what you mean to carry on your longer walk? Do you have other experience of carrying a heavy load for several weeks at a time? A very different experience from an albergue-to-albergue walk along the Camino Frances with minimal gear. As your pack weight increases the risk of injuries also increases. It can take a few gentle days to grow comfortable with a large pack: balance, chafing and pressure can all be troublesome at first. To complete your route in 90 days you would need to average 27km per day. That also assumes that you would be walking every single day of your 90 day visa period: literally from the day of arrival in Rome to your departure from Santiago. In practice I think you would need to cover 30+km per day. That may not sound like too much of a challenge but the cumulative effect of repeating this day after day while carrying a heavy weight can be very damaging to joints, muscles and bone. On my Via Francigena walk I had a foot injury which was very probably a small stress fracture caused by repetitive strain. Your timetable does not give you much time to start slow and allow your body to adjust to the changing demands on it. If you are able to build up your walking gradually at home before setting off for Italy that might be some help. Otherwise I think you may find what you are planning is a major physical challenge which would leave you little time or energy to enjoy the other aspects of the journey.

You have already walked the Camino Frances from St Jean. Have you considered aiming for Puente la Reina instead?: where the route from Arles via Somport joins the Camino Frances. Still quite a challenge in the time frame you are planning but more realistic. You would then have walked the whole distance from Rome to Santiago, although in two stages and in unconventional order :) I did something similar myself by walking from home in Wales to St Jean Pied de Port many years after walking the Camino Frances.

Hey thanks for your reply. Amazing effort on achieving that, I am very envious of you experiences! I didn't carry camping gear other than my sleeping bag, though my pack was certainly over-sized (15 kilos) as I did it on a whim and didn't plan or pack accordingly. The first week I suffered pain through my right shoulder, but after that I was fine, and was able to do up to 40/50 kilometres towards the end. I've already begun a routine of long-distance running combined with body strength exercise as I want to give myself the full opportunity to complete it within the time allowed. My major concern is sustaining an injury to my feet, as I would have no time to recover.

I love Puene La Reina! That could definitely be an option. I could make that the starting goal. If I happen to have a few weeks to spare, then attempt to make it to Santiago. Great advice, cheers!

Hey thanks for your reply. Amazing effort on achieving that, I am very envious of you experiences! I didn't carry camping gear other than my sleeping bag, though my pack was certainly over-sized (15 kilos) as I did it on a whim and didn't plan or pack accordingly. The first week I suffered pain through my right shoulder, but after that I was fine, and was able to do up to 40/50 kilometres towards the end.

Oh that's good, so the project is at least viable then -- at those speeds, I was able to do Paris-Compostela in 44 days, and that's 1800 or so ; BUT that terrain is much easier, and in much of Western Italy and Southern France you may find your daily rate dropping towards 30 instead.

But let's say 7 weeks total for the Italian and Spanish Ways (where you'll have more support and assistance and more sensibly "yellow arrow'd" Ways), leaving about 40 days for the more difficult French section. ... yeah, that's do-able.

Though I'd seriously advise you to use the French GR routes with circumspection, and to often opt for the easier albeit tarmac options avoiding some often pointless climbs up and down out-of-the-way mountain slopes, which would seriously slow down your daily KM.

For speed, I'd advise the Italian coastal option to Menton on the French border, then tarmac out of there up to Laghet (which shouldn't be missed), then bite the bullet and tarmac down and through Nice (I didn't do this and it was 2 days wasted), then more or less follow the traditional Way through the wide glacier valley and the vineyards towards Aix (I followed the more difficult northerly variant). From there it's easy across to Arles, but from there, whether you follow the Arles Way or head down to the Piemont after Saint Guilhem, sundry terrain difficulties will become unavoidable and they'll slow down your pace.

I'd advise the SJPP option rather than the Somport, again because it'll be quicker.

I would anyway suggest going via Lourdes, as it was a stage on the Rome Way even before the discovery of the Apostle's tomb in Compostela -- it's also an excellent place for a rest day, because by exception you can stay two nights (because there you're doing two pilgrimages in one) at arguably the best Refugio on the Camino.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello, Buenos dias.

I know this post is over a year ago, but did you do this? I am thinking of doing something very similar except a route change from Rome up to Switzerland then go left and get to Le Puy then on to the Norte.

Hi James,
I am also from Australia, & planning to do via Fran from Canterbury to Rome & then Rome to SDC. I am planning to get an extended visa for Spain, this will be my last EU country.You need to apply for this in the state that you reside in. Let me know how you go.
Kind regards, Maureen

I am not sure whether he is following the thread anymore.
Maureen, your trek looks crazy...luv it.
I have finally found all my pathway links around the Northern Italy, Switzerland and France bit...
joining up the that patch. I may well start in August when I get back from Iceland.
Canterbury Cathedral is lovely..
I hope you enjoy it.
Jane.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
More like 2700km. It took me 97 days. PM me with your email address and I'll send you my "as walked" itinerary. I didn't take a tent or cooking gear and didn't need them.
do you still have itinerary for this walk? please help! thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thanks AJ.
I have had a change of plan. I am now going from Paris on 3rd August, and will eventually get to Irun and continue along the Norte.
Rome maybe next year.
Thanks anyway.
Jane.

Hi James,
I am also from Australia, & planning to do via Fran from Canterbury to Rome & then Rome to SDC. I am planning to get an extended visa for Spain, this will be my last EU country.You need to apply for this in the state that you reside in. Let me know how you go.
Kind regards, Maureen

Is it easy to get an extended visa for Spain Maureen? How do you go about it? When are you walking Rome to SDC? We did the Camino Frances to SDC and then on to Finisterre this year and are currently planning a longer one for next year. (BTW we are Queenslanders.)
Warm regards, Jenny

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks AJ.
I have had a change of plan. I am now going from Paris on 3rd August, and will eventually get to Irun and continue along the Norte.
Rome maybe next year.
Thanks anyway.
Jane.

Hi Jane, we’re considering exactly the same walk for next year. Will be very interested to know how you go. Hope we can ‘follow’ your journey. Warm regards, Jenny

Hi: I am considering this route and would appreciate your as walked itinerary?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi: I am considering this route and would appreciate your as walked itinerary?

Hi, I don’t think AJ lives here anymore. He sent it to me and I’m sure he won’t mind my forwarding it on to you if you give me your email address. (Hover over my avatar and click on Start Conversation.)

Hi I am looking to do the Camino from Santiago to Rome. does anyone have any advise, routes, etc. I walked from the Netherlands to Santiago last year (2450km) Thank you in advance! :)

Although it's more than 6 years ago, I just came across your offer to make available your as walked itinerary. Because I plan to walk from Rome to Santiago de Compostela this year, I would be very happy if you could send me that information.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Although it's more than 6 years ago, I just came across your offer to make available your as walked itinerary. Because I plan to walk from Rome to Santiago de Compostela this year, I would be very happy if you could send me that information.

Hi and welcome on this forum.
AJ has not posted here since 2016 so I would advice you to start a new thread in order to receive current information.

Hello, Buenos dias.

Hello, Buenos Dias,

I recognise that it is now 8 years on but did you complete this trip? My Mum (Mum at 86) in 2016 completed the way from Le Puy to Santiago de compostela but now my partner Rob and I want to walk from Rome to Santiago de compostela. We are also Australian so we are planning to do it over 2 years from April til June each year. I would love to know what guide books etc were helpful. Now only 13 months out and hard to get any information. We also want to walk a souther route in Spain through Barcelona and then up to Madrid and across. All help would be gratefully received! Thanks in advance Trish

through Barcelona and then up to Madrid and across
I'm a bit confused by this. Barcelona is considerably to the north of Madrid, so how are you planning to walk through Barcelona and then up to Madrid? You could, conceivably, walk from Barcelona down to Madrid, then follow the Camino de Madrid back up to join the Frances at Sahagun and then either go across on the Frances or the Frances/Invierno or continue up on the San Salvador and then across on the Primitivo. But I'm not aware of any Camino routes from Barcelona to Madrid. It seems really out of the way on any route to Santiago.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back